• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

You guys think the community will still be here in the fall?
The MK7 community died almost completely for a while due to getting moved to the Community sub-forum and the glitched tracks making everyone's lives miserable but once it got patched and revived we played at least one organized set of races each week for over two years.

Once this thread gets moved to the sub-forum the community will probably slow down a lot more than it already has due to people just forgetting to check there but I doubt that it will die completely.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Culte-TGIF-38.jpeg

The MK7 community died almost completely for a while due to getting moved to the Community sub-forum and the glitched tracks making everyone's lives miserable but once it got patched and revived we played at least one organized set of races each week for over two years.

Once this thread gets moved to the sub-forum the community will probably slow down a lot more than it already has due to people just forgetting to check there but I doubt that it will die completely.

Should be. The biggest issue now is that most of the time I enter a gaf room it's empty.

GGs. Double horns! Used mine due to spamming the button like an idiot, but still. Double horns!

Yeah. Won't be as active as it is now, same as it isn't as active now as it was at launch, but MK games generally have a long lifespan.
My main thing is just finding full lobbies, I really want to play the game but getting a wii u isn't on the table right now so I'm planing on getting once later this year but I fear smash will annihilate the community.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One thing bothered me, though. I noticed that I don't have lap times or total times after I complete races in Grand Prix. Is there a way to make these appear or are they simply stripped from Grand Prix?

They got rid of times for everything but time trials, and I hate that. I like seeing how close finishes are or how much I beat people by. Would like to see that patched in, but I doubt it will happen.

Should be. The biggest issue now is that most of the time I enter a gaf room it's empty.

This is my problem. KartGAF does not fit my schedule well, I try to play in the mornings but it's usually dead. Looks like afternoons and nights are pretty good though, but that isn't an option for me. And of course weekends are pretty active.

DaBoss

My main thing is just finding full lobbies, I really want to play the game but getting a wii u isn't on the table right now so I'm planing on getting once later this year but I fear smash will annihilate the community.
If you're talking about online in general, no that won't be a problem. If you're talking about the GAF community, then yea, Smash would affect it by a good bit.

BHZ Mayor

I really struggled with that one too. I think it's the only staff ghost (or one of the only ghosts) that has a time faster than the world average.

I was able to finally beat him by using the same kart setup as the ghost and taking the wooden bridge shortcut on all three laps. I think when I finally got it I beat the ghost by a lot of time too. Felt good.

I ended up beating it by basically doing the opposite and saying "fuck the wooden bridge." I was doing way worse by attempting it. Morton/Gold Kart/Slick if that factors into why I was having so much trouble with it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up beating it by basically doing the opposite and saying "fuck the wooden bridge." I was doing way worse by attempting it. Morton/Gold Kart/Slick if that factors into why I was having so much trouble with it.

I screw up most of the time when I try the bridge. Seems like it is a little faster than the turn just ahead of it, but it's not worth it when you fall off 2/3 of the time.

What's the MK8 code of online ethics? I saw someone say throwing a green shell backwards was trolling.

lol ethics, only one i follow is no fire hopping online , everything else is fair game, i saw someone complaining about bumping too so lol, Bully season never stops

Try Fire Hopping ?

yeah was thinking of that, gonna do that now

I really struggled with that one too. I think it's the only staff ghost (or one of the only ghosts) that has a time faster than the world average.

I was able to finally beat him by using the same kart setup as the ghost and taking the wooden bridge shortcut on all three laps. I think when I finally got it I beat the ghost by a lot of time too. Felt good.

yeah i saw the lap replay and it made me go 0_O , how'd he do that haha, magic

lordy88

They got rid of times for everything but time trials, and I hate that. I like seeing how close finishes are or how much I beat people by. Would like to see that patched in, but I doubt it will happen.

Thanks for letting me know. I always liked seeing if I improved lap times as I went, and of course knowing how close my victory really was.

Too bad they axed it.

Azure J

As the guy who gave Roo a salt fueled rage off yesterday about a backwards fired green shell after he won the race only to do it to him without thinking a few races later, I don't think there are a lot of ethics to be aware of in Mario Kart. :p

Finalow

I keep losing in Bone-Dry Dunes 'cause I don't know how to do the fucking curve after the last jump, near the end. (where you can choose to go up or down) I can brake and take it slowly of course but that wouldn't probably be the best way to do it, isn't there any better way? Do I just have to go up all the time? A video would help.

to unlock the golden kart do I also need to get at least one star on every mirror cup?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Funny, I did my best racing after a week off.

I am screwing up my drifts and going into the grass and walls. Feels bad man.

I keep losing in Bone-Dry Dunes 'cause I don't know how to do the fucking curve after the last jump, near the end. (where you can choose to go up or down) I can brake and take it slowly of course but that wouldn't probably be the best way to do it, isn't there any better way? Do I just have to go up all the time? A video would help.

to unlock the golden kart do I also need to get at least one star on every mirror cup?

Yes, you need one star on 150cc and Mirror for the gold kart.

And land ASAP and start drifting early, that will help get around the corner.

Finalow

Yes, you need one star on 150cc and Mirror for the gold kart.

And land ASAP and start drifting early, that will help get around the corner.
well, fuck the golden kart then.

and yes I tried to do that but it didn't work, maybe with another vehicle is better? I always used the kart.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Much better on Bowser's Castle that time. I got hit by a blue shell, I'll consider that a good sign.

Also gotten as much lightning today as I ever had previously, combined. So... that might be a bad sign.

Top Bottom