• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm working on a netcode theory but some feedback on how crazy/not crazy it is would be appreciated.

What if Nintendo, under a time constraint to launch the game on time, simply ported the net services of MK7 over to MK8 without significant changes? It would explain why the messages in the lobby are the same (even though several aren't applicable to MK8) and possibly why there have been so many errors.

MK7 lobbies were limited to 8 racers as opposed to the 12 in MK8 and I noticed last night that as soon as people started dropping out of the room that had been full for most of the evening the issues seemed to improve. Also, could it explain why the racers seem to get so many duplicate items at one time since the MK7 servers only needed to issue 8 items? I had assumed since launch that the issues have been caused by having a racer with a bad connection lagging the entire group but I can't remember if this has ever happened when I was in a room smaller than 8.

So I wanted to know how many people have experienced significant netcode issues while in full rooms and have you noticed the same issues while in smaller rooms? And for people that have never had issues how often have you participated in a full room?

The comm errors have decreased a huge amount in full rooms since they stopped letting people spectate(which is annoying as hell btw) but I haven't noticed anything regarding hit detection. I will say even in smaller rooms the item distribution can be hilariously dumb.

Koodo

Banned
Considering how barebones a lot of the features of the game are, sometimes I think they took so long making the core experience really good and then said "fuck it, Iwata said we gotta ship this shit in May" to the rest of it.
and even then, pls.

I'm not sure if the horrid item balancing was intentional or just laziness on their part. I'm sometimes inclined to believe the former, i.e. they noticed people were intentionally slowing down to fall down a few ranks and snatch a better item; but then sometimes I'm inclined to believe the latter when people in third get LIGHTNING BOLTS.

nintendo qorl...

Considering how barebones a lot of the features of the game are, sometimes I think they took so long making the core experience really good and then said "fuck it, Iwata said we gotta ship this shit in May" to the rest of it.
I'm just wondering if they still have the EAD MK team working on it. Considering all the content that was added to Pikmin 3 after launch it's not impossible but I hope that they hurry up before people start to get burned out and move on to other games.
The comm errors have decreased a huge amount in full rooms since they stopped letting people spectate(which is annoying as hell btw) but I haven't noticed anything regarding hit detection. I will say even in smaller rooms the item distribution can be hilariously dumb.
That was a specific bug caused by the server losing count of how many people are in the room once the spectators joined and then more people from the previous race left. The crazy netcode issues during the race had been getting worse for me recently but last night wasn't awful and actually got better once the room got smaller.
and even then, pls.

I'm not sure if the horrid item balancing was intentional or just laziness on their part. I'm sometimes inclined to believe the former, i.e. they noticed people were intentionally slowing down to fall down a few ranks and snatch a better item; but then sometimes I'm inclined to believe the latter when people in third get LIGHTNING BOLTS.

nintendo qorl...
I think a lot of that is still being caused by netcode problems. The servers seems to have trouble keeping track of the placements of racers so the person in 3rd may actually seem to be the person in 8th to the servers - boom, lightning.

Sayter

and even then, pls.

nintendo qorl...

Try people in first getting red shells. <_<

and even then, pls.

nintendo qorl...
I was in 2nd and rolled lightning so yeah >.>

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LOL:

9AY3pq9l.jpg

Azure J

I was in 2nd and rolled lightning so yeah >.>

The other day I had the item reel glitch get me on an item draw when I was in a really big group of people. My number was fluctuating between 2nd and 9th most of that time. Tell me how when I break away from the group and get 1st, the reel stops and I get a spiny shell?

Mario Kart tellin' me to kill myself, smh

Papercuts

There might be some truth to the game sometimes just not being able to track what place you're really in. This is extremely rare but I did once have the blue shell completely pass me in Bowser's Castle and do another lap which let me avoid it, and I have no idea why that would have happened unless it didn't think I was in first.

Try people in first getting red shells. <_<

That actually has (almost?) always happened in other MKs. A single red shell anyway.

But stuff like second place blue shell is lol.

The other day I had the item reel glitch get me on an item draw when I was in a really big group of people. My number was fluctuating between 2nd and 9th most of that time. Tell me how when I break away from the group and get 1st, the reel stops and I get a spiny shell?

Mario Kart tellin' me to kill myself, smh

Shoutouts to first place bloopers, which when used actually hit your screen and nobody else.

What is this about netcode issues I am reading? I haven't actually run into many (or any) myself, outside of one random disconnection earlier today (but that was my system itself PMSing as opposed to the game).
Are the netcode issues supposed to be severe? In my experience, the online has been (unexpectedly) buttery smooth...

What is this about netcode issues I am reading? I haven't actually run into many (or any) myself, outside of one random disconnection earlier today (but that was my system itself PMSing as opposed to the game).
Are the netcode issues supposed to be severe? In my experience, the online has been (unexpectedly) buttery smooth...

Netcode has been great for me. The only major problem that bothers me at the moment is the constant communcation error that happens 95% of the time someone is in a 12 person race and quits before selecting a new stage. I'm assuming that'll be fixed soon, if it hasn't already though.

Same here. I occasionally see people get hit and not lose speed, but that's about it.

I was getting connection errors the first or second day, but haven't seen them since.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
At least someone was looking out for me, tripon bumped me with triple mushrooms after I got hit :D

Didn't help though, I missed half the item boxes somehow.

Some people (like me) have been having really bad network/netcode issues including invisible items/racers, teleporting items/racers, item wheels that won't stop spinning, finishing the race in a different placement than was shown on screen, getting items that seem strange for the position that you are in the race and frequent disconnects.

I've tested my down/up network speed and it's 30/5 Mbps so I don't think that's the issue and I put my Wii U in a DMZ a few days ago which seemed to make things slightly better. Now I'm trying to figure out if the problem is on my end or Nintendo. The fact that some people are having issues but not others is really confusing to me.

Papercuts

At least someone was looking out for me, tripon bumped me with triple mushrooms after I got hit :D

Didn't help though, I missed half the item boxes somehow.

That's actually another thing about online I don't get. Some matches the item boxes will get used up and leave gaps a lot, others will just keep them there while everyone flies through them. It sucks so hard to miss out on the mushroom party and get passed up by everyone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some people (like me) have been having really bad network/netcode issues including invisible items/racers, teleporting items/racers, item wheels that won't stop spinning, finishing the race in a different placement than was shown on screen, getting items that seem strange for the position that you are in the race and frequent disconnects.

I've tested my down/up network speed and it's 30/5 Mbps so I don't think that's the issue and I put my Wii U in a DMZ a few days ago which seemed to make things slightly better. Now I'm trying to figure out if the problem is on my end or Nintendo. The fact that some people are having issues but not others is really confusing to me.

Ping matters more than Mb/s. If you're not receiving data frequently enough it will cause timing issues that will make racers/items appear out of place.

Ping matters more than Mb/s. If you're not receiving data frequently enough it will cause timing issues that will make racers/items appear out of place.

My ping between the Speedtest servers were always 20ms or below but I'm not sure how to test my ping with Nintendo's servers.

I expect to get hit so the invisible stuff isn't bothering me anymore but the item wheel glitches and disconnects are driving me insane.
anyone saw this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43cq3DalZw

some times when i play mario kart with my friends this happen to me , but not like that ,much less
Stuff like this happening in MK7 was so rare, I can kind of understand now why I had such a hard time adjusting to the cruelty of MK8.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe a stupid question but can't you view a highlight in regular view? I couldn't find a way to swap camera angle.

FyreWulff

There might be some truth to the game sometimes just not being able to track what place you're really in. This is extremely rare but I did once have the blue shell completely pass me in Bowser's Castle and do another lap which let me avoid it, and I have no idea why that would have happened unless it didn't think I was in first.

This can happen in any track with separated paths. It seems if you gain first but you're on a separate branch, the blue shell follows the track nodes going forward, so it has to go around the track to get you.

Top Bottom