• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
You guys made my sodium levels rise to very high levels tonight. I was at one point spamming "Not Fair" on the Mario Kart Prechat. Seriously, stop kicking racers on the ground when they are already down. The one that made me so salty is when BurningJustice robbed me of my first on Grumble Volcano. What are you and Roo doing to stay away from the middle of the pack? I swear I could never pull away from the pack lol.

I think I only got like 2 first place that night. Well GGs everyone.
Ah, I remember that one. I had triple mushrooms, but didn't use them until the very end so that you wouldn't be able to hit me with your triple greens.

Good item management is key, as Roo said. In Frantic, when you're in first, I've found it's best to play more aggressively--get the people behind you far enough behind so that when you inevitably get blue-shelled, it doesn't even matter. Other than that, drift as close to the inner edge as possible and hold your drift longer to get red Mini-Turbos when you can. That's all I can really tell you.

Also don't use the game pad so I don't know what items other people are carrying.

I don't use the GamePad either, but I have it set up on the charging stand next to my TV so I can look at it during races. Can you do that? Being able to see when the person behind you has a red shell is very helpful.

?oe?oe

Someone threw a blue shell in lap two... it didn't stop to hit first place, it just kept going around the track hitting everyone until the end of the race hahaha.

Exentryk

Made a little "No Items and coins" tourney. Feel free to add to your list and join when you feel like practicing your lines:

3767-5629-8398

foladar

Literally just bought a Wii U and plan to buy MK8 on Sunday. Is the Wii U Pro controller really worth it, or are the controls on the gamepad okay? I have the wii pro controller, if that matters.

Literally just bought a Wii U and plan to buy MK8 on Sunday. Is the Wii U Pro controller really worth it, or are the controls on the gamepad okay? I have the wii pro controller, if that matters.
Eh, my hands start to cramp up after long uses of the Gamepad. I had to invest in a Pro Controller, which has been beautiful to me. Insane battery power on it, I do not even remember the last time that I charged it.

If you are in the market for one, Best Buy will be selling Pro Controllers for 30 bucks starting Sunday.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My terrible item management is made worse by the fact I get impatient and start spamming the button sometimes when the wheel won't stop, then accidentally end up using my item.

Bah. Win race. Get comm error. What are you trying to tell me, game?

11 people in no item race? I expected like 3.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised I came in a solid third there, expected to do terrible.

Man, that first turn on RR makes or breaks the whole race for real. Got boosted off by a DK and that was pretty much it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That far back? I saw you there but didn't hit you on my end. And you were right with me all the way up to the bridge, so lots of lag I guess. I think lag-you got a draft boost which distracted me since I was trying to figure out what was going on... because you were just gone.

Kept waiting for you to pass me most of that race, pretty sure you have a faster setup.

Exentryk

You were picking up all the coins ahead of me, so that was helping you. But yeah, that drop pushed me back a lot.

Damn it, messed that BDD turn >_>

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This room makes me feel better about my driving skills. I'm keeping up with you and not stuck way back there with those other people :p

Went off into the glittery thing. Was bound to mess up after not screwing up on the Dunes.

Exentryk

KuGsj.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That is like the second time I have ever hit the chomp, since I got the game. Worst possible time to do that.

I was catching up there for a while though. Was on the gliding part when you finished.

Dereck

I have big hands and I use the Gamepad for every game I play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad how the game just stops waiting on these other people to finish. Like, they are so slow it just gives up on them.

And yep :(

Roo

Guess I need to step up my item management :(
To be completely honest, I can't remember the last time we played together.
You're usually looking for a race when it's 3-4am here lol

Yeah, I saved and use my mushrooms at the right time such as cutting corners at Mario Circuit and the like but then the person behind me conveniently has a red shell lol. Also don't use the game pad so I don't know what items other people are carrying. Also used my red shells sparingly as there no point in throwing all of it to nail one guy one time. The only item I use all of it right away is the crazy eight becuz I have bad experiences with lightning or people stealing my star and consequently running me over and exploding my bomb.

Most races I'm behind the people you listed most of the time which makes me wonder how are you getting so far ahead without getting attacked by items from all sides. All night for example, I'm mostly been 3rd with you and burning fighting for first. Well at least that what I remember the majority of my races that night anyways.

Well, I'll get better over time like I had a few good snipes with banana thanks to racing you guys (as well as evilly throwing red shells over at flying section, always so funny watching them fall from the sky). Got to work with my bomb throw though so I can have some epic moments like that gif albo posted a couple pages back.

Edit: Just realize we are talking bout mario kart like its serious business lol

http://youtu.be/OKqvH4qGqF0

Just want to share this before I sleep for the night. One of my favorite green shell hits that led me to first against you guys. It not impressive like albo bomb toss but I'm proud of myself.

Well, it certainly isn't serious business but it's nice to talk about the tactical aspect of the game from time to time.
When I'm behind first, they always try to hit me with their items. Last night it was basically Justice and me in Piranha Plant Slide and he had triple green shells. He threw two of them backwards to hit me (he nailed me both times) As a golden rule, never ever follow the guy ahead of you because I'm sure as fuck they'll try to hit you. Anticipate their moves, it usually works. Sometimes it's better to take a wide turn than a sharp one polluted with bananas and shit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know, I know. You have time for races now?

Maybe you can beat Roo repeatedly at no-items too.

But I can't complain about how I'm doing, especially now that people hopping are joining and I'm still competitive with them.

Ha, got bumped into the dirt, turned bad and hit the wall, an still almost came in 5th.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No items to frantic is a pretty big change of pace.

I guess it's not worth it to try to go for those item boxes. By the time you get to them you can't turn out of the side area very well.

Especially when someone uses a well timed squid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom