• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

We still play in the GAF room when there's enough people. I have an account on GameFAQs, but I vastly prefer playing here to playing there.

I was having absolutely rotten luck in a lot of those races towards the end--seemed like no matter what I did, I could not avoid getting hit at the beginning. I switched to a kart and started firehopping because some other people in the room were doing it, but I think that just made things worse. I don't firehop very often, so I think I still need a bit of practice at it.

Yeah, I noticed you were last in a couple to races.
I thought the combo you were using was just bad considering you're mostly a bike racer.

Volotaire

I just got the game and a Wii U and [played this for an hour or so. Fired it up, menus are fast to transition in and its very quick to get into a race (apart from loading screens). Seeing Mario Kart in HD for the first time was incredible, but so was the detail and design of the tracks. Outstanding. However, it seems my expectations for the game's graphical details were quite high, as I'm disappointed by the lack of AA implemented, as well as a few character models and some of the track textures. It was also a mistake to play my first cup in 50 cc. But apart from that, I love it. Bring on the online GAF tournaments. Also, I played one global online race and it worked flawlessly and quickly.

Enforced

I'll be on neogaf frantic lobby in about 20 minutes.
Also
M8w2wu3.png
or not :p

DooD1234

Hmm, my internet is all acting up, can't connect to any race after beating Roo in WW race for some reason. Guess I'll check back later if there a Gaf group going.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
All right, I'm in.

EDIT: Be back in a bit... assuming I can get in again.

EDIT 2: Had to go do something, but I'm back now. And I got in, good.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Game keeps putting me in a room by myself. Once it put me in a room with a guy with 3700 VR, and he quit about 30 seconds into the race.

I'll keep trying...

EDIT: Actually, I'll just join you.

Roo

That was my lamest Grumble Volcano race ever.

Edit: I bet you felt the pressure lol
Room is dying so I'll look for a new one after this race.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
lol. Too late.

And this room's garbage. After this race, I'm going to try finding another.

EDIT: Well, maybe it's not so garbage. But I'm still finding another room.

Roo

lol

All right, let me know when there's a spot open.
NOW!!

Edit: I swear this game's RNG is so fucked up can't even. Seriously, what's the point of giving you a single mushroom when they guy ahead of you has triple shrooms and the guy behind you triple red shells.. Ugh.

"We wanted to make it feel more random" my ass.

vanty

So when I played this a bunch in the first two weeks after release the player number thing for the GAF tournament would be in the hundreds (though it seemed like usually there were only two or three lobbies going on so I dunno about that number). I just started playing again and right now it's saying two people in the race tournament and twenty in the frantic one. What's going on?

Exentryk

GAF is usually in the Frantic tournament nowadays. The numbers have have dropped quite a bit though from the opening weeks. Just managing to fill a lobby with 12 people is an achievement.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it just me or do you guys also often get worldwide groups that are only with 5-7 players, and the group doesn't even fill up during a race for the next one? I can be in a group with the same 6 players for 4-5 races...before I give up and leave to find another group. I mean wtf? Is there not enough people playing Mario Kart or is there something fucked up in Nintendo's searching system?

Roo

Is it just me or do you guys also often get worldwide groups that are only with 5-7 players, and the group doesn't even fill up during a race for the next one? I can be in a group with the same 6 players for 4-5 races...before I give up and leave to find another group. I mean wtf? Is there not enough people playing Mario Kart or is there something fucked up in Nintendo's searching system?

That's weird.
Yesterday Justice and I didn't have any problem finding lobbies with decent players at all. Actually, Justice had trouble joining me in those rooms because they were completely full.

dani_dc

GAF is usually in the Frantic tournament nowadays. The numbers have have dropped quite a bit though from the opening weeks. Just managing to fill a lobby with 12 people is an achievement.

That's a shame.

I just got the game and a Wii U yesterday (haven't played it yet though), so hopefully I'll be able to help you guys filling a lobby in the coming weeks.

Volotaire

What are the differences between the tournaments. I might join tomorrow.

Roo

What are the differences between the tournaments. I might join tomorrow.

In the Normal tournament powerful items aren't very common and the item distribution is more random aka you can get a coin in 10th place, a star in 4th, etc. Overall is an unbalanced mess

The frantic tournament on the other hand works with powerful items most of the time. You get an item based on your place in the race (not always but you see my point) item rape is more common and overall it can reach Mario Kart Wii levels of craziness. Fun stuff.
At the end it feels more balanced than normal races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom