• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart | Community Thread | *Insert Profanities Here*

Nightii

Banned
Thanks for the games, folks! Had a lot of fun, even if I feel I actually played worse each race lol.

Stupid heavies pushing me around like a baby, I don't want to drop Lemmy. :(

Gattuso

throwing these in here as well
EllipticalGrouchyBass.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JghnSklZq7A

Nightii

Banned
So, I was checking bike combos to use, considering they seem to be what's up, but the only one that gives Lemmy 3 Speed and 3 Acceleration is the Master Cycle...Is this my only choice?

I feel like anything less than 3 on Speed is useless, could I work with 2 Speed and use another bike?

ffdgh

So, I was checking bike combos to use, considering they seem to be what's up, but the only one that gives Lemmy 3 Speed and 3 Acceleration is the Master Cycle...Is this my only choice?

I feel like anything less than 3 on Speed is useless, could I work with 2 Speed and use another bike?

200cc you want atlease 4 bars of acceleration so use the regular inward drifting bikes.

Roo

If you really want to play as Lemmy then you're better off sticking to karts, imo.
Otherwise you'll have to go with a medium weight character or heavier if you choose a bike.

edit: lol at Merrick's post.

Roo

That's kind of a relief, to be honest lol.

Is what ffdgh said true? am I better off banking on 4 bars of Acceleration?
As you saw the other day, things can get pretty nasty in the GAF room.
Obviously high accel is not mandatory but if you're one of those who are always in the middle of the chaos (say.. From 4th to 9th) then high accel is strongly advised.

Once your skills improve you can always bet on speed instead like some of us.

Gattuso

heh, well my original choice was always jet bike with slims before the dlc hit which would net me 4 speed, 3 acceleration, and 4.25 handling and a larger mini turbo. I grabbed the master cycle because I just really liked the look of it haha.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Ok a certain 3 with Morton, Link/bowser, and dry bowser :p

Ehh, maybe one of these days I'll go back to using Daisy. I'd like to use her more often, but there's a certain GAFfer that I wouldn't stand much of a chance against if I did.

heh, well my original choice was always jet bike with slims before the dlc hit which would net me 4 speed, 3 acceleration, and 4.25 handling and a larger mini turbo. I grabbed the master cycle because I just really liked the look of it haha.

The Master Cycle used to be my go-to bike in 150cc. I really like the look of it too.

In 200cc, though, I need the extra accel/handling the other inside-drift bikes give...

Gattuso

no....NO.....HELL ****ING NO!

but everyone loves getting coins and single bananas when in the back. it's super useful :p or when bullets last 3 seconds due to being too close to the top distance wise, especially in smaller rooms, stars that only increase your speed only a tad, red shells that are self aware haha.

I want to see being able to actually have a defense against stuff return. I miss being able to hold items and have another one lined up

ffdgh

It'd be more bearable if we could hold two items at the same time but yeah.. Fuck this game's item system. Go back to MK7/Wii

Character balance...I want freaking character balance! Be it like 7 or mario kart DS. Something clearly went wrong when 11 out of 36(37) characters invalidate more than half the cast lol.

but everyone loves getting coins and single bananas when in the back. it's super useful :p or when bullets last 3 seconds due to being too close to the top distance wise, especially in smaller rooms, stars that only increase your speed only a tad, red shells that are self aware haha.

I want to see being able to actually have a defense against stuff return. I miss being able to hold items and have another one lined up

I can bear the one item limit if they remove the distance junk and bring back the fake item box as a replacement to coins(no lower than 3rd place). All the "fun" of no protection with the possibility of still being able to screw others over. I'll also take first place triple bananas again.

In 7 and hell even Wii you can have tight races between 1st and 2nd.

In 8 that doesn't really happen very often because lol triple reds lol coins lol 2nd place bullet bills

Roo

Character balance...I want freaking character balance! Be it like 7 or mario kart DS. Something clearly went wrong when 11 out of 36(37) characters invalidate more than half the cast lol.

I wonder why they haven't tried to leave all the characters without stats.
Leave all of that shit to karts and body parts. Of course that would mean they'd have to add a lot of them to create some variety but it's infinitely better than rendering a lot of characters useless.

i hope 8's blue + 3-6 reds thing dies. it happens way too often for it not to be on purpose lol

Agree. At least nerf the way triple red shells work.
With the lack of stand still mini turbos, coins being common item in first place leaving you defenseless and (like you said) red shells being self aware, they're simply too toxic.

"every item has been insanely tested for flipping fun"
my ass..

Exentryk

Reds should be nerfed, ranking based items, other items to be powered up, bigger more meaningful shortcuts, coins in first few places are fine (as 1st place needs some vulnerability), etc.

Let's see what we get in MK9. NX releases this year!

Think we can get MK9 by end of next year?!

EDIT: I should be able to join you guys this weekend on the 2nd day (Sat night for you guys).

Roo

Glad you're coming back. Need someone to eat all those blue shells for me :3

As for your question, I highly doubt it.
Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see MK9 until 2018 tbh.

Those games usually take 2-3 years to develop and considering we were getting content for MK8 up until last year I don't see how a 2016 release would happen.

Who knows tho, once again Mario Kart proved to be one (if no the) strongest IP Nintendo has so maybe they don't want to release NX without it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Glad you're coming back. Need someone to eat all those blue shells for me :3

As for your question, I highly doubt it.
Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see MK9 until 2018 tbh.

Those games usually take 2-3 years to develop and considering we were getting content for MK8 up until last year I don't see how a 2016 release would happen.

Who knows tho, once again Mario Kart proved to be one (if no the) strongest IP Nintendo has so maybe they don't want release NX without it.

What if we are not going to get Mario Kart this time? We are going to get Nintendo All Stars Kart instead?! :p

Roo

What if we are not going to get Mario Kart this time? We are going to get Nintendo All Stars Kart instead?! :p

In a sense it's still a kart game :p
I also just remembered, isn't Hideki Konno (Mario Kart producer) and his team (EAD1) working on Miitomo, Nintendo's mobile game?

I mean, if you have to delay a mobile game, things aren't going as smoothly as you'd expect.

Roo

Also also also buffing fire flowers was the dumbest thing ever and I have no fucking idea why they thought boomerangs were a good idea.
Fire flower is legit in my book.
In MK7 unless you have the person right in front of you like 5 feet away, the item is useless with the 3 fireballs at once limit.

Both piranha plant and boomerang can die in a fire tho.

Hope they keep the super horn around in future games. The best item addition since the bullet bill.

ffdgh

Lets see...Goodbye anyone who's not Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, Rosalina, DK, Wario, Waluigi, Koopa, Toatette, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach.....Dry Bowser lol.

Fire flower is legit in my book.
In MK7 unless you have the person right in front of you like 5 feet away, the item is useless with the 3 fireballs at once limit.

Both piranha plant and boomerang can die in a fire tho.

Hope they keep the super horn around in future games. The best item addition since the bullet bill.

I'll take a 3 fire limit instead of back spam hell...even if I'm guilty of it >_>
Piranha plant is fun. It's the omission of an warning indicator that is baffling.
Yeah fuck boomerangs and their entire trollish existence.
Super horns is one of the few good things to come out of 8's items aside from the blue shell nerf lol.

My only problem with the super horn is that it can be gotten in lower positions and then dumb things can happen. But with a position-based item system that would be easy to fix.

I overall like it though because it's basically this game's tail replacement except you can't spam it. EDIT: Of course, the boomerang is like a throwable tail so that can just die but I basically already said that.

As for the piranha plant, just make it so it doesn't snap at people while you're in hitstun.

ffdgh

I like when dumb stuff happen with multiple horns. Makes for a great/easy lead when a horn chain reaction goes off.
KuGsj.gif

Roo

Oh yeah, they need to fix hitstuns as well.
So annoying you can get hit by piranha plants and other random shit when you're already down.

That and more invisibility frames after your star runs out. I was playing earlier this morning and got hit by an Impossible Angle™ green shell literally right after the last glow of my star :<

ffdgh

Oh yeah, they need to fix hitstuns as well.
So annoying you can get hit by piranha plants and other random shit when you're already down.

That and more invisibility frames after your star runs out. I was playing earlier this morning and got hit by an Impossible Angle™ green shell literally right after the last glow of my star :<

Nothing will ever surpass those 2 yoshi circuit shells...NOTHING!

More hitstun invincibility or nerfing hitstun/slow down of some items would be great.

Gattuso

boomerangs are waaay to evil, same goes for fire flower. both of those lead to situations like: this, this, this, this, or this....

more hitstun invincibility would so great. tired of combos, especially the lightning + your current triple item one

Roo

Nothing will ever surpass those 2 yoshi circuit shells...NOTHING!

More hitstun invincibility or nerfing hitstun/slow down of some items would be great.

Holy shit, I forgot about that race xD

Green shells: Perfectly straight road and fences? F that! let me bounce in a physically impossible angle to hit that ffdgh guy, he doesn't mind!

Wish I could've saved that race >.>

Enforced

no....NO.....HELL ****ING NO!
yes....YES.....HELL ****ING YES!
bf5bf52242de82e022e7994f260a8fefbc1f3bb2_hq.gif

Reds should be nerfed, ranking based items, other items to be powered up, bigger more meaningful shortcuts, coins in first few places are fine (as 1st place needs some vulnerability), etc.

Let's see what we get in MK9. NX releases this year!

Think we can get MK9 by end of next year?!

EDIT: I should be able to join you guys this weekend on the 2nd day (Sat night for you guys).
Exentryk pls. Red shells is fine as it is.

Same with the other items that you guys mentioned. Guys pls.

About the rumors on NIntendo scroll wheels shoulder buttons for the NX. I wonder how that going to work for Mario Kart.

ffdgh

boomerangs are waaay to evil, same goes for fire flower. both of those lead to situations like: this, this, this, this, or this....

more hitstun invincibility would so great. tired of combos, especially the lightning + your current triple item one

...Let me take a moment to apologize for any bitching I have made towards my shitty luck. I respect your patience.

Roo

yes....YES.....HELL ****ING YES!
bf5bf52242de82e022e7994f260a8fefbc1f3bb2_hq.gif

Exentryk pls. Red shells is fine as it is.

Same with the other items that you guys mentioned. Guys pls.

About the rumors on NIntendo scroll wheels shoulder buttons for the NX. I wonder how that going to work for Mario Kart.

Of course you're against our suggestions, you're part of the problem... *rolls eyes*

:v

Top Bottom