• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

DaBoss

The game is really charming, especially everything involving Luigi and his relationship with Mario but man does it have terrible pacing. It feels like every single time there is a new mechanic the game screeches to a halt so an NPC can tell you the obvious. Going out of order in Driftwood Shore and not having the prince slowly explain the rotating mechanic really shows how pointless the tutorials are for the most part.

The combat is okay, they certainly have a lot of variety but it can drag on sometimes. With the weird load times and transition time I often avoid battles.

Yea, the rotating Luiginary work wasn't explained so I got confused that I missed something.

Though really, from what I can remember BiS had tutorials like that too. I'm guessing Bowser is just the key difference here.

I think the battles take a lot longer since they made it more "complex" now with analog movement and gyro controls.

Yuterald

I'm still really enjoying this game. Maybe because I haven't played enough of the other Mario & Luigi RPGs, but I really don't understand the complaints. From what I've played of the other games, this doesn't seem too different than the others. I also think the enemy variety is fine so far. They're always throwing new enemy types at you with different combat patterns/gimmicks. Also, I gotta say, those giant Luigi battles are incredible, visually. I think it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen from a mainline Nintendo game. Sure, the combat is a little rock/paper/scissors-feeling, but it just looks so cool...oh, and that Yoko Shim' track that plays during those fights...forget about it!

I'm in the endgame, about 38 hours in, definitely ready for it be over. It's a very fun game, but a VERY bloated game. There's a good 10 hours worth of content here you could erase and I'd be fine...the loooooong dreamy Mt. Pajamaja section, the annoying dream egg fetch quests with the seahorses that don't shut up, maybe not have a final dungeon that goes on forever and a day, or an intro that burdens you with unfunny p'illo people and hours of tutorials and remedial battles. The pacing and structure of the game is clearly inferior to Bowser's Inside Story IMO. The story really doesn't hold it together; the NPCs are funny, and I LOVE Starlow, but Dreambert is a bore, and Antasma is sadly very generic. Bowser's still the most consistently funny character in the game, and he doesn't show up much.

On the plus side, DT has a far superior overworld to BIS. Harkens back to the Superstar Saga days, but with better visuals and the best soundtrack the series has ever seen. It's great fun traversing, exploring, and battling in the real world. The Woods and Mt. Pajamaja are particular stand-outs, some of my favorite areas in the entire series. I also really like most of the Dream sections, more visually interesting than inside Bowser, and I love the Luiginary attacks, even the gyro controlled one surprisingly enough. It's a stuffed game with a LOT of variety, but a lot of it can't help but come off like filler or errands to extend the game time. Very easy to get burnt out of it by the end. It's a solid 8/10, when some serious trimming could've been a 9/10, possibly.

terrisus

So, if I loved Mario RPG and the Paper Mario games, but didn't really care for the first Mario and Luigi game (and didn't play the later ones) since it was too Actiony and not RPGy enough, am I going to like this game?...

Berordn

So, if I loved Mario RPG and the Paper Mario games, but didn't really care for the first Paper Mario game (and didn't play the later ones) since it was too Actiony and not RPGy enough, am I going to like this game?...

Probably not. Mario & Luigi is all about action combat. It's still turn based and there's no shortage of RPG elements, but the battles take timed hits to the next level. There's a demo though, so it might be worth a try.

Santiako

Just finished the game, I loved it. I started loving it even more when I stopped trying to do all the expert challenges. Overall, I'd put it slightly below BiS, but above SS. Just a fantastic game.

SuperSah

Banned
Fuck it, one of the best games i've played this year.

Mushrise Park was fun and that boss was terrific. I love it when he follows you in the 3D segments, amazing stuff.

The last hit on the Red/Green bro shells is so satisfying when it blows enemies into the distance.

Seriously, this game ROCKS.

Alrus

Found out there's a secret boss if you complete all the battle ring regular bosses. It's part of the boss medley so you have to fight all the previous bosses before facing it... Well he's pretty damn hard (much harder than the last boss imo, which was piss easy), and I failed against it. Not sure I feel like doing that again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love the 3D effects in this game. But they do hurt my eyes after a while, seemingly moreso than other 3DS games. Am I alone in this?

The soundtrack is probably the best in the series, eclipsing even SMRPG. Shimomura at her best!

SuperSah

Banned
I love the 3D effects in this game. But they do hurt my eyes after a while, seemingly moreso than other 3DS games. Am I alone in this?

The soundtrack is probably the best in the series, eclipsing even SMRPG. Shimomura at her best!

I can play in 3D all the time, it looks stunning. The sprites in 3D work so well.

I can't play this game without sound, the music is so good.

This. Headphones at all time.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I don't understand why Nintendo isn't getting more praise for the visuals on the 3DS. This game is really pretty and a HUGE leap over the previous games in the series.

Paper Mario, SM3DL, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion all also have gorgeous presentation, and if you compare it to the stuff on the DS it's a massive leap. Most of the first party games feel like they are getting console quality treatment on par with a Wii or Gamecube game whereas most stuff on the DS and GBA felt like ports, or B-team level execution.

SuperSah

Banned
I don't understand why Nintendo isn't getting more praise for the visuals on the 3DS. This game is really pretty and a HUGE leap over the previous games in the series.

Paper Mario, SM3DL, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion all also have gorgeous presentation, and if you compare it to the stuff on the DS it's a massive leap. Most of the first party games feel like they are getting console quality treatment on par with a Wii or Gamecube game whereas most stuff on the DS and GBA felt like ports, or B-team level execution.

Haters gonna hate. All they do is compare it with Vita.

3DS has amazing looking games, people don't seem to care though.

Doorman

At the rate things are progressing with this game, I have to day I'd probably put this as my second-favorite in the M&L series, with only Superstar Saga ahead of it. I liked Bowser's Inside Story well enough, but looking back I don't think it ever really bowled me over like it did with so many others. Bowser had great dialogue but playing as him for so much of the game felt pretty dull to me at times. I like the dream world mechanics a lot more, especially with the ways they've changed up the battles there, including directional dodging and the mob attacks, and of course the art and music are both gorgeous. The plot has felt pretty weak, but also largely under-the-surface since each area to explore takes so long.

I still don't feel like the progression of any of the sequels has captured the same back and forth swinging of momentum between the heroes and the villains in the way Superstar Saga did. Always setting up tricks and traps for each other and changing who has the upper hand. This game has felt a lot more like a "standard" Mario game plot; Antasma seems to pretty much know what he's doing from the moment he's revealed and the Mario Bros. never seem to gain any real victories all the way up until assaulting the final castle. Even Partners in Time offered more give and take.

Still, really enjoying the game despite a couple of minor frustrations.
Dreambert and Bedsmith OTP

Doorman

There, went back and edited. That should make much more sense now.

If it was the presence of action during battles that turned you off about the first Mario & Luigi, then Dream Team probably isn't going to do you any better. Even LotSS and the Paper Mario games have elements of timed hits and blocking, but M&L has always taken that to a greater level with the involvement of increasingly-complex bros attacks and especially the dodging system. Surviving battles in this game definitely requires focus, timing, and paying attention to the enemies and their various tells, so if you're looking for the sort of RPG where you just select attacks from a drop-down menu and that's all, then this is going to be overkill.

Outside of the battles though, the game still contains a good amount of exploration, puzzle solving, gear selection and all of the other RPG staples. Deciding whether or not it's worth trying really comes down to how specific you want to be about what you like or don't like about the other Mario RPGs.

3DS isn't competing against the DS, it's competing against the Vita and with that comparison, the 3DS graphics are nothing to write home about.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way Sticker Star and Dream Team look but I won't pretend it's even comparable to the Vita.

DaBoss

I think RE:R and Sticker Star are the best looking games on the system and are somewhat comparable to the best looking games on the Vita. Not saying other games don't look good, just not amazing when looking at other stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it just me, or does the Mad Skillathon seem a bit unbalanced? I just tried the one for the Dropchopper and man, I only made it to 275, but it felt like it took longer than getting almost 700 in the Fire Flower one. Some of them, I don't feel like re-attempting because it feels like a grind just getting the high score.

Alrus

Is it just me, or does the Mad Skillathon seem a bit unbalanced? I just tried the one for the Dropchopper and man, I only made it to 275, but it felt like it took longer than getting almost 700 in the Fire Flower one. Some of them, I don't feel like re-attempting because it feels like a grind just getting the high score.

Yeah, it's also rather pointless (the prizes suck), so I wouldn't waste my time if it feels like a chore to you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, just got 900+ on Fire Flower & that didn't feel as much as a grind compared to the others I did. I think the issue is that the S rank is such a high score for what little points you earn for most of them. I get they're suppose to be a challenge, but it feels more a trial of patience than skill most of the time. Probably will just stick to trying them once & being alright with a B rank.

Alright, now is there any point to these picture unscrambler puzzles? Or just more rewards that won't matter much? Edit: So I get
beans that're better than the ones I find in the ground
....alright, that's not too bad

I'm on my way to Mt. Pajamaja but I feel like there's a real lack of story here. At the very least, the first scene in Dream Deep is the best bit of character development in a Mario game.

Frost_Ace

Just finished this game, the last battle was so goooood. IMHO despite the minor pacing problems and the unusual sterile dialogue it's as good as BiS and SSS.

The battle system is just too good in this one.

About four hours in, loving it. I don't find the supporting characters as charming as in BIS, but I'm still having a blast.

Easily my favorite current Nintendo series, what with how they've butchered the Paper Mario Games.

The tutorial spam in the beginning is annoying, but man are the Giant Luigi battles fun as hell. Maybe it's because Luigi is more nimble, but the battles feel a lot more fluid than the Giant Bowser ones from the previous game.

FSLink

Banned
Also thought you guys were exaggerating about the tutorial spam, playing the demo it didn't seem to bad being able to skip it...

And then the actual game, yeah, it definitely bugs me quite a bit during the beginning. Oh well, the game's still charming and I'm having a blast. The visuals are quite the sight too.

LGom09

Just finished it.
Taking down the ship with Mario while jumping fire with Luigi is the coolest defensive move in the game.
Also, this has got to be one of Yoko Shimomura's best soundtracks and that's saying a lot. So good.

DaBoss

Just finished the game, lots of fun was had. I clocked in about 41 hours and pretty much got almost all Pi'illos, beans and challenges. I didn't do the side activities like the boss battle thing and the bros attack thing.

The second last battle was annoying to me though. Since one of the attacks is hard for me to judge in order for me to dodge,
talking about the wave of Antasma bats, it doesn't help that it puts Mario to sleep.

Also that part with the gyro controls people complained about really was bad.

The final boss has pretty low HP in retrospect. Just use the Star Rocket attack a few times and it will be easy.

Speaking of Bros. Attacks, I didn't get Mario's last Bros. Attack. Where do I get it?

And I don't seem to have completed all challenges, only 2 are incomplete (one of them being the Bros. Attack I missed). If I didn't do them, I think I would have enjoyed the game even more.

SykoTech

On the plus side, DT has a far superior overworld to BIS. Harkens back to the Superstar Saga days, but with better visuals and the best soundtrack the series has ever seen. It's great fun traversing, exploring, and battling in the real world. The Woods and Mt. Pajamaja are particular stand-outs, some of my favorite areas in the entire series. I also really like most of the Dream sections, more visually interesting than inside Bowser, and I love the Luiginary attacks, even the gyro controlled one surprisingly enough. It's a stuffed game with a LOT of variety, but a lot of it can't help but come off like filler or errands to extend the game time. Very easy to get burnt out of it by the end. It's a solid 8/10, when some serious trimming could've been a 9/10, possibly.

At the rate things are progressing with this game, I have to day I'd probably put this as my second-favorite in the M&L series, with only Superstar Saga ahead of it.

Okay, hype might be restored a bit. Absolutely loved Superstar Saga. Even played through it from start to finish in one day before (hurricane struck ad I had nothing else to do >_>). If this comes closer to SS than the other M&L games, then it might be well worth some tutorial BS and bloatedness.

Speaking of Bros. Attacks, I didn't get Mario's last Bros. Attack. Where do I get it?
You have to save all the Pi'illows on the island, which means you can get it the moment you enter New Bowser Castle if you're neurotic and want to save all of them like I did. Once you save all 52 Pi'illows, talk to Eldream and he'll give you 10 Bros Attack pieces for Zee Egg. Zee Egg is basically M&L's version of a Bahamut summon using the Zeekeeper and does quite a lot of damage.

DaBoss

You have to save all the Pi'illows on the island, which means you can get it the moment you enter New Bowser Castle if you're neurotic and want to save all of them like I did. Once you save all 52 Pi'illows, talk to Eldream and he'll give you 10 Bros Attack pieces for Zee Egg. Zee Egg is basically M&L's version of a Bahamut summon using the Zeekeeper and does quite a lot of damage.

Now that makes sense. I missed 4 on Mt. Pajamajama for some reason.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn it, this game keeps teasing me now that it's the 3rd time that I've
seen Popple from Superstar Saga just appearing & leaving. I wanna fight him again!
Though it IS cool that the
viruses from Dr. Mario
are enemies later on, though they were in Superstar Saga as well. & I just noticed how to defeat them faster is really clever as well.

Weird thing: According to my savegame I've been playing for 27h39, but 3DS diary has it at only 23h58? Anyone have any idea on how this is possible?

The other way around can be explained by dying and trying again using a savegame.

SuperSah

Banned
Weird thing: According to my savegame I've been playing for 27h39, but 3DS diary has it at only 23h58? Anyone have any idea on how this is possible?

The other way around can be explained by dying and trying again using a savegame.

Same thing with MH3U for me, the in-game time says i've played over 24 hours more than the 3DS time which states 168hrs..

DaBoss

The Japanese version of Dream Team is getting a patch:
- On Mount Pajamaja, at the time you break the ice with a spin jump against the Massif Brothers, we fixed the problem in the game that wouldn’t let you progress when you spoke to the Massif Brothers, depending on how you proceeded.

- Late in the game against Antasma, we corrected the problem that didn’t let the battle end properly in certain circumstances.

- In addition, we fixed some other small problems to make the game run more smoothly.

Sauce: http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-luigi-dream-team-patch-on-the-way-to-japan/

I don't even think it is possible to have the Log show a shorter time than in-game, so not sure what's going on there.

Well it seems possible since the above post says it as well, but I don't see how it works.

Top Bottom