• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

MYeager

I really enjoyed that
they could've taken a cheap route for the humor and had Luigi be bitter or jealous of Mario in the dream world, but instead he just really cares about being a good brother to Mario. Even the little things, like how the first time he became huge he still didn't look confident without Mario. It's not much, but I like what they did with the relationship of the brothers.

Penguin

I patiently explore the game lol. I talk to all the NPCS and look at everything in each area. I don't know how I missed the luiginary stack.

Where do you get the luiginary stack? Is it from the puzzle pieces in the dream world?

The Dream Ones are usually pretty easy since only in one specific Pillow world,but might have been a pillow that you could have missed?

I'm pissed off because I spent the past 3 hours constantly grinding because it was impossible to beat the part of the "beef off" you have to do in three moves. After I got Mario and Luigi both leveled up to 16 and their power levels to 70, it still wasn't enough to beat this one guy so I just wimped out and did the battles in easy mode. After I got to the boss, it was impossible for me to beat him and (I didn't want to do another fight in easy mode again) so I was forced to exit to the title screen since they don't give you any other options. Apparently I lost 3 hours of grinding now because I forgot to save. Ugh. I'm done with this game for a while.

I had no such problem, beat it on my first try. I can't remember what level I was on. To make thing's easier, there is a badge combination that lets you deal 80 damage to a single enemy, and you still get to attack. So at the minimum that is an extra 160 damage without using an attack. Double that if you upgraded the amount of badge slots. Hope that helps...

Alrus

I patiently explore the game lol. I talk to all the NPCS and look at everything in each area. I don't know how I missed the luiginary stack.

Where do you get the luiginary stack? Is it from the puzzle pieces in the dream world?

Check the map where you're in a dream world. It shows if there's an Attack piece in the area. Also, the game tells you how much attack pieces you're missing for a certain zone so you should know if you need more or not.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Is there a soft reset function? Don't see one in the manual.

Edit: And I'm in the desert area now, and I really don't get the tutorial complaints. There's no more or fewer than there are in the other M&L games. Guess it's just one of those things where people make a big fuss out of nothing.

What the heck are nommon puzzles? Wonder if I've done any yet.

I just got to where I have to collect 5 of you know what. How long is each area to revisit? Not excited about going back to places I've been but if each area is brief it won't be a big deal.

TreIII

The Dream World was a great concept and fun for this game, but I don't think it should return in the next one. I would love for AlphaDream to have another go at Bowser personally. Overall, I think my ranking for the series would be BiS > DT > SS > PiT.

My man! *brofist*

But otherwise, I'm like halfway through and it seems we basically see eye to eye on everything else so far. So I'm hoping the rest of this ride is a good one.

Mt. Pajamaja's dreampoint is the most tedious thing IN THE WORLD

IT JUST DOESN'T END

after that, the inevitable near-endgame fetch quest seems engaging and full of variety

I'm really enjoying this game, but it's got several elements I don't enjoy. Particularly the Giant Luigi fights. They're slow, one-dimensional affairs that scratch up my screen and I hate the gyro controls.

Update: I got the luiginary stack and used it on the guy. Did 3 excellents in a row and delt around 120 damage to him with each hit. HE STILL DIDN'T DIE. I've spent over 3 DAYS of my life on this guy. This is ridiculous. Holy shit. I guess he has at least 400 health? UGH.

I had no such problem, beat it on my first try. I can't remember what level I was on. To make thing's easier, there is a badge combination that lets you deal 80 damage to a single enemy, and you still get to attack. So at the minimum that is an extra 160 damage without using an attack. Double that if you upgraded the amount of badge slots. Hope that helps...

Well then you're just extremely good at this game I guess. I've tried about 20 times. What is the badge combination? What badges do I need?

Update: I got the luiginary stack and used it on the guy. Did 3 excellents in a row and delt around 120 damage to him with each hit. HE STILL DIDN'T DIE. I've spent over 3 DAYS of my life on this guy. This is ridiculous. Holy shit.

What is the badge combination? What badges do I need?

How strange. I won that battle on my first try and don't recall doing anything special. I think I even used Luiginary Ball each turn since I'm better at getting Excellents on that one.

I have one recommendation for you, though. I can't remember what they're called and don't have the game with me to check at the moment, but there are accessories available to you by that point that can increase your POW by 20%. There's also one that increases your POW by 30% as long as the character who has it equipped hasn't gotten hit yet in the current battle. At any rate, try using one of those POW-raising accessories. Hell, try equipping one on both Mario and Luigi! It can't hurt.

Are you countering attacks? I didn't do 120 damage with the Luiginary Stack at that point and still managed to do it.

The only one i can counter is the one where he runs at you shaking his arm. (and yes, I'm countering those ) I don't think its possible to counter the one where he runs into the fruit and crushes his allies. Whenever I try to jump he just automatically jumps into me. Also, he always gets dizzy at the end of the battle but doesn't die. then the reff guy restores our health and the battle restarts. Just thought I'd add that detail.

DaBoss

The only one i can counter is the one where he runs at you shaking his arm. (and yes, I'm countering those ) I don't think its possible to counter the one where he runs into the fruit and crushes his allies. Whenever I try to jump he just automatically jumps into me. Also, he always gets dizzy at the end of the battle but doesn't die. then the reff guy restores our health and the battle restarts. Just thought I'd add that detail.

The other condition is to kill all of the lackies. I think that is what you didn't do. Do Luiginary ball as your last attack. That will most likely get everything.

El Odio

Banned
Watch the crowd in the background. If they jump up before/as he charges at you he's going to jump halfway. If they stand around then he's going to keep sprinting and you have to jump. And for the fight I pretty much just used the luiginary ball and countered all his attacks, it's much easier to get an excellent with.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What the heck are nommon puzzles? Wonder if I've done any yet.

I just got to where I have to collect 5 of you know what. How long is each area to revisit? Not excited about going back to places I've been but if each area is brief it won't be a big deal.

You won't do the nommon puzzles until you go to Sommon Wood.

I'm really enjoying this game, but it's got several elements I don't enjoy. Particularly the Giant Luigi fights. They're slow, one-dimensional affairs that scratch up my screen and I hate the gyro controls.

Ugh I hate the Giant Luigi fights as well as they aren't fun at all, which is strange as I didn't mind the Giant Bowser fight in Bowser Inside Story.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, just ran into
Popple, that thief from Superstar Saga.
PLEASE tell me I'll see him again. Remember enjoying those battles so much, especially for the music.

OK, I'm stuck in the dozing sands. I watched a video and I still don't get it.

So, I'm in the dream world and I'm chasing the...uh, spirit (?). So he went down below in this area to "sleep", and I broke through the blocks. He then flew up to a higher area and I don't get how to get up there. It seems like there is some jump move that I haven't unlocked, but I don't get how or where to unlock this move.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks GAF.

DaBoss

OK, I'm stuck in the dozing sands. I watched a video and I still don't get it.

So, I'm in the dream world and I'm chasing the...uh, spirit (?). So he went down below in this area to "sleep", and I broke through the blocks. He then flew up to a higher area and I don't get how to get up there. It seems like there is some jump move that I haven't unlocked, but I don't get how or where to unlock this move.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks GAF.

You didn't get the move where Mario squishes all of the Luigis and causes a spring jump? I don't really recall, but I think you learn it right after you learn the ground pound.

You didn't get the move where Mario squishes all of the Luigis and causes a spring jump? I don't really recall, but I think you learn it right after you learn the ground pound.

I didn't get that move. Does anyone know where I go to acquire that? I'm sure I've got all the puzzle pieces for the level.

DaBoss

I didn't get that move. Does anyone know where I go to acquire that? I'm sure I've got all the puzzle pieces for the level.

Go to the area where you learned the ground pound and keep going right till you get to an area where you can't continue with the tower. You have to stay in the tower form otherwise Dreambert won't teach it to you.

I'm not exactly sure if you have to keep going right, but just follow this guide: http://supermarioinfinity.blogspot.ca/2013/08/mario-and-luigi-dream-team-part-7.html

The 7th paragraph is what I'm talking about.

MYeager

So what's better, Bowser's Inside Story or this game?

My opinion only, but Bowser's Inside Story had better humor and better puzzles, while there are some more interesting game concepts used in Dream Team, along with what I feel are better battle mechanics.

Go to the area where you learned the ground pound and keep going right till you get to an area where you can't continue with the tower. You have to stay in the tower form otherwise Dreambert won't teach it to you.

I'm not exactly sure if you have to keep going right, but just follow this guide: http://supermarioinfinity.blogspot.ca/2013/08/mario-and-luigi-dream-team-part-7.html

The 7th paragraph is what I'm talking about.

Thank you very much. I think that's exactly the info I was looking for. I don't know how I possibly missed that.

Yeah I've come to the conclusion this is the worst Mario RPG ever and the weakest entry in the Year Of Luigi.

In more than 35 hours of gameplay I had maybe half an hour of fun, the rest was a one of these things:
1) unskippable, boring and bad written dialogues / "cutscenes" which aren't funny at all unless you have the brain of a 6-year old,
2) tedious, useless and offensive training moments which explained in the most boring way an obvious new move,
3) two hours gap in which you fight the same enemy over and over and over and over and over again,
4) long, gimmicky, frustrating giant boss battles which are fun on paper but simply don't work in a fun way (
Giant Bowser
, what the fuck where they thinking),
5) long, incredibly boring normal boss battles which aren't hard enough to lose but aren't easy enough to pass through without losing your mind (Antasma, what the fuck where they thinking),
6) controls which surprisingly are woody, and also the ones using touch screen and gyro are completely unreliable causing much frustration.

All that and on top a graphic/audio department which is nice but forgettable, and sometimes look like it could have been on the DS. And the story oh yes, I can't actually say anything about that because I don't know what this game is about. The dialogues were simply too annoying to read, so I don't know the story of this game but I'm sure I'm not losing anything.

In the end, I wouldn't recommend this game to anybody, and like with Paper Mario Sticker Star, I suggest to play all the previous installments which are much better in almost every possible way. In a word: BORING.

Luigi's Mansion 2 wins by far the Luigi Award.

I think I've hit a wall with this game. I just got tasked with the
bed fetchquest
. I knew one was coming too. I figure I am probably 3/4 of the way through though so I will probably try to power through, but I haven't had any desire to play it the last few days after playing for a week straight.

beta_fuse

Yeah I've come to the conclusion this is the worst Mario RPG ever and the weakest entry in the Year Of Luigi.

In more than 35 hours of gameplay I had maybe half an hour of fun, the rest was a one of these things:
1) unskippable, boring and bad written dialogues / "cutscenes" which aren't funny at all unless you have the brain of a 6-year old,
2) tedious, useless and offensive training moments which explained in the most boring way an obvious new move,
3) two hours gap in which you fight the same enemy over and over and over and over and over again,
4) long, gimmicky, frustrating giant boss battles which are fun on paper but simply don't work in a fun way (
Giant Bowser
, what the fuck where they thinking),
5) long, incredibly boring normal boss battles which aren't hard enough to lose but aren't easy enough to pass through without losing your mind (Antasma, what the fuck where they thinking),
6) controls which surprisingly are woody, and also the ones using touch screen and gyro are completely unreliable causing much frustration.

All that and on top a graphic/audio department which is nice but forgettable, and sometimes look like it could have been on the DS. And the story oh yes, I can't actually say anything about that because I don't know what this game is about. The dialogues were simply too annoying to read, so I don't know the story of this game but I'm sure I'm not losing anything.

In the end, I wouldn't recommend this game to anybody, and like with Paper Mario Sticker Star, I suggest to play all the previous installments which are much better in almost every possible way. In a word: BORING.

Luigi's Mansion 2 wins by far the Luigi Award.

I'm questioning why you played through 35 hours of this game when after 30 minutes you realized the fun ran out? If it wasn't to your liking early on, forcing your way through the game was only going make worse and worse. Just wondering.

Also I'm about 20 hours in and I still love it. IMO it's a really fun sequel, that does suffer from pacing issues at times, but is just as fun as the other installments.

Berordn

BIS has cleaner sprites, better giant boss fights, better humor in the form of the constant presence of Bowser, better villain in Fawful(Anatasma is crazy generic), and much better pacing.

I don't know if the sprites are any cleaner in BiS, but the fact that they're not stretching and skewing them makes the presentation much nicer even though the world itself is much more enticing in Dream Team.

Kind of wish they'd just gone and made it 3D, the few models that they do have look great.

Timeaisis

I'm questioning why you played through 35 hours of this game when after 30 minutes you realized the fun ran out? If it wasn't to your liking early on, forcing your way through the game was only going make worse and worse. Just wondering.

Also I'm about 20 hours in and I still love it. IMO it's a really fun sequel, that does suffer at times from pacing issues at times, but is just as fun as the other installments.

Yeah, I'm about 22 hours in. Just got to the
fetch quest
everyone is bitching about. Granted, fetch quests are always meh, but I haven't run out of steam yet. I'm still rather enjoying it, and am playing around 2-3 hours a day.

I decided to restart and button mash past the unskippable tutorials. I really dislike how few battles there are and enemies don't respawn fast enough. I guess it's either those dumbass challenges or giving the player the freedom to level grind and we got the dumbass challenges.

Had to kill Bowser in Easy mode since I can't grind to get stronger. This is an RPG, why won't they let me battle???? The battles are so much fun too..

Also I'm about 20 hours in and I still love it. IMO it's a really fun sequel, that does suffer at times from pacing issues at times, but is just as fun as the other installments.

Because I paid 40 bucks.
Also I was on vacation at sea and it was either this or playing cards with my friends. I like my friends but more than 30 minutes of Briscola a day is a pure waste of fucking time. I also forgot to bring my writing stuff.

Busaiku

Hurray, beat the game!
Clocked in around 46 hours getting all the Pi'illos, completing all Expert Challenges, and the Photo Puzzles.
Didn't do most of the special challenge stuff though (bosses and attack exhibitions), nor did I beat the Golden Beanie, but I'd say I'm ok with that.

It took me forever to learn that I had to press A and B when Mario and Luigi approached the Zee Egg.
But still, that and Star Rocket were super powerful and made quick work of Bowser.

Luiginary Hammer and Duplex Crown absolutely destroyed Antasma as well, but his attacks were annoying even for that 1 turn he did get to act.

Overall, fantastic game, and I'd say it surpasses Bowser's Inside Story.
The story was a little weaker, and nobody was quite as awesome as Bowser was there, but still, the characters really grew on me, and I'd say Starlow was much improved.

KarmaCow

The game is really charming, especially everything involving Luigi and his relationship with Mario but man does it have terrible pacing. It feels like every single time there is a new mechanic the game screeches to a halt so an NPC can tell you the obvious. Going out of order in Driftwood Shore and not having the prince slowly explain the rotating mechanic really shows how pointless the tutorials are for the most part.

The combat is okay, they certainly have a lot of variety but it can drag on sometimes. With the weird load times and transition time I often avoid battles.

I'm going to finish it but I've given up trying to get everything and hard mode is not going to be worth the other small annoying parts.

baphomet

I've already passed it, but how the fuck do you run away from bowser in the first battle? I could dodge everything not getting hit, yet at the end he always jumped and landed on me. Thank god for the easy mode because I wanted to snap my XL in 2.

Top Bottom