• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Maybe I'm misremembering, but this fetch quest is nearing Wind Waker levels of bad. I put the game down for a week when I found out I had to do it, and have been trying to power through today.

DaBoss

I'm currently on this one
http://i.imgur.com/cJOkEjP.jpg
going to get the 3rd hooraw medal but I can't pass since it's blocked.

There's a switch around the area, you need to activate it to get rid of the barrier.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but this fetch quest is nearing Wind Waker levels of bad. I put the game down for a week when I found out I had to do it, and have been trying to power through today.

Are you talking about the
Ultibed parts
? I honestly found that pretty tame. It's no where near Wind Waker levels bad.

Alrus

It's not nearly as bad as the Wind Waker, mildly annoying really but that's it. Keep going because the area coming up is amazing (in term of music and look).

There's a switch around the area, you need to activate it to get rid of the barrier.

Are you talking about the
Ultibed parts
? I honestly found that pretty tame. It's no where near Wind Waker levels bad.

Yes, that is what I am referring to. Is there another one later? I haven't played WW for about five years, but for some reason this one seems a lot longer, and not very interesting.

It's not nearly as bad as the Wind Waker, mildly annoying really but that's it. Keep going because the area coming up is amazing (in term of music and look).

Cool. I plan on continuing and finishing it, since I've already put in over 40 hrs anyway.

DaBoss

Yes, that is what I am referring to. Is there another one later? I haven't played WW for about five years, but for some reason this one seems a lot longer, and not very interesting.

No not at all, just was making sure since you referred to Wind Waker and thought there was something I missed in the game. To me it felt quite short and simple. I think only one part truly felt like it took a long time.

I recently played Wind Waker. Even though I knew what to do, it was still annoying.

zroid

Banned
Something about this game's pacing is just not working for me. There's so much about the game I love, but at the same time I'm often finding myself struggling to keep playing. It's weird... and sad. I'm not gonna stop, though, even if it takes me several weeks more to finish it.

Part of it definitely has to be all the text. Normally I don't mind Nintendo's walls of text, but that's because it's usually enjoyable to read. In Dream Team, it seems so repetitive and uninteresting at times. It's like they put their B-team on the localization. It's still very funny occasionally, but considering how much dialogue there is, I need that occasionally to more like frequently.

Marjar

Banned
Just got to the part where you make the Ultibed.

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the giant battles at all. Didn't like them in BIS either. They just feel tedious and longwinded compared to the normal combat. Plus the touch controls feel a bit unresponsive sometimes. Like swiping only works 80% of the time. Not to mention that the fact that you don't get any experience from those battles makes them feel pointless.

However, the rest of the game is a blast, so it's not that big of a deal.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I finished the third giant battle & yeah, my enjoyment for them went way down after this one, especially after the boss uses the move that requires you to swing your hammer in 2 directions. I lost the first time when I was literally one hit away from beating him/doing the finishing move because I had a hard time making the swings register.

Also, Slingsniper REALLY makes me wish the gyro controls were optional for certain moves.

I've hated all the giant battles so far except the
Zeekeeper
which I just beat. But maybe I only enjoyed it because the last couple took me 2 or 3 tries and I beat this one on my first try.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've got money in my eshop account and I normally don't buy retail games on 3ds via eshop, but I'm tempted to get this. Would you guys say this is worth an eshop purchase, where I'm pretty much set with owning it, with no chance of being able to resell?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I just got to Wakeport (about how far would you say that is?). Not feeling it as much as I'd like to so far, but I feel like I'm still pretty early in the game. Part of it is that it feels like the dream world battles take too damn long unless you use a Luiginary attack. Just seems a bit plodding overall. I can't really play it for more than a couple hours at a time. I am really enjoying it visually and aurally though. Fantastic soundtrack.

zroid

Banned
So I've only done the first giant battle, but I thought it was awesome. The consensus about them seems to be overwhelmingly negative, which leads me to believe they will get worse over time, but I really enjoyed the first one, at least!

DaBoss

My problem with giant battles is that the enemies eventually just constantly attack on a single turn which eventually drags on. They're pretty fun otherwise.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So I've only done the first giant battle, but I thought it was awesome. The consensus about them seems to be overwhelmingly negative, which leads me to believe they will get worse over time, but I really enjoyed the first one, at least!

i loved all of them, they're creative and visually spectacular. Reall, they might be the best thing I've seen on the 3DS, graphics-wise. The only one I had an issue with was the last one, because of that particular instance

zroid

Banned
My problem with giant battles is that the enemies eventually just constantly attack on a single turn which eventually drags on. They're pretty fun otherwise.

I can see that. There were already hints of it in the first battle.

i loved all of them, they're creative and visually spectacular. Reall, they might be the best thing I've seen on the 3DS, graphics-wise. The only one I had an issue with was the last one, because of that particular instance

My jaw was really on the floor throughout most of the encounter. The whole thing was just spectacular! :O

lunchtoast

Yo these challenges are getting difficult. Some of those dream enemies are so hard to dodge everytime.
Those guys that chuck the spear at you. When they spin in a circle around you it's hard to tell where they are. I have to quickly switch on the 3D to make it easier.

Other than that I played it all weekend.

Visually, the giant boss battles are the best 3D I've seen on the 3DS, and both the build-up music and the giant boss theme is fantastic. Unfortunately, I find them all to be and large slow, tedious, one dimensional affairs, mechanically. I actually dreaded seeing them pop up.

Link Man

Banned
So yeah, finally got back to this game, just did the first
Giant Luigi
battle. So much better than
the Giant Bowser battles in Bowser's Inside Story.

rekameohs

Banned
I've only done two giant battles so far, but I absolutely loved both of them.

Overall, the game doesn't hold a candle to Bowser's Inside Story, but it's still really fun.

Alrus

I've got money in my eshop account and I normally don't buy retail games on 3ds via eshop, but I'm tempted to get this. Would you guys say this is worth an eshop purchase, where I'm pretty much set with owning it, with no chance of being able to resell?

Heh, this game isn't really replay friendly so if you have a habit of re-selling your games after you're done with them, I wouldn't buy this on the e-shop.

El Odio

Banned
Beat
Kamek
for the second time in the last area and I have to say that he's the perfect example of how ridiculous countering can be, which is probably my main complaint for this game. The amount of tutorials is somewhat understandable but the main problem there is how often the game feels the need to repeat how to take over a luiginary work or movement.

Frost_Ace

Beat
Kamek
for the second time in the last area and I have to say that he's the perfect example of how ridiculous countering can be, which is probably my main complaint for this game. The amount of tutorials is somewhat understandable but the main problem there is how often the game feels the need to repeat how to take over a luiginary work or movement.

Uh? What was so hard about countering her?

The only attack that I had some problems with was the broom.

Just beat this today, not quite 100% but pretty dang close at over 50 hrs. There was a lot to enjoy but it was a bit tedious at times. It was interesting to see Good Feel did the giant battles. I loved Wario Land: Shake It and Kirby's Epic Yarn, but outside of the
Zeekeeper Battle
, I can't say I enjoyed the giant battles much. I'm a huge Paper Mario fan, but this was my first M&L game. I'm glad I played it but I don't think I will be diving into the rest of the series any time soon. Here's to hoping we get a proper sequel to TTYD on Wii U.

Maybe it's not so much about avoiding the counters as it's about how many you're made to avoid in a row with no opportunities to actually counter, towards the end of that boss you're basically spending ridiculous amounts of time playing the evade game
and I got the thwomp run three times in a row, it's so long and tedious!

El Odio

Banned

Maybe it's not so much about avoiding the counters as it's about how many you're made to avoid in a row with no opportunities to actually counter, towards the end of that boss you're basically spending ridiculous amounts of time playing the evade game

Pretty much what Nocturnowl said. A lot of enemies, even early on, have attacks that for a normal battle just drag on. Even worse is how many of them have alternate versions of attacks that pretty much force you to get hit a few times in order to learn the differences. (I'm looking at you Beehos and Mechakoopa)

Seda

I started playing this this weekend. I just beat the boss in the desert/construction area. So far I think the game is pretty good but it's kind of easy. I decided to try not buying equipment and only going with what I find to see if that improves the challenge. I'm kind of mixed on a few of aspects of the game but admittedly I'm not very far.

The boss fights have those elaborate and long attacks which are kind of crazy and fun, but I have to wonder how tedious those may get on later bosses.

I'm also not sure what to feel about the Dream areas...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
After beating the
Zeekeeper
giant battle, I REALLY don't like having to use the 3DS gyroscope while holding the 3DS sideways. Really, some of those gyro controls are the only thing I'm not liking about the game.

I actually just started to take the hit on the first thwomp cuz I was so fuckin sick of avoiding them again and again for so long and for very minimal damage to the boss

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm up to Mt. Pajamaja and really surprised by how much I've been enjoying this. The combat twist the dream world throws on things is really neat, and expert challenges have been fun to tick off. Maybe I'm misremembering but this seems to have more unique playstyle catering with some of the gear, like 30% more power until you take a hit, the damage nullification, stuff like that.

I am annoyed with over explaining the luiginary works, but the rest of the explanations have seemed par for the course.

After beating the
Zeekeeper
giant battle, I REALLY don't like having to use the 3DS gyroscope while holding the 3DS sideways. Really, some of those gyro controls are the only thing I'm not liking about the game.

Ugh, the final giant battle has an even more annoying gyroscope part.

Question for everyone... Was anyone able to get an S on the cannon launching "Mad Skillz" mini game (the one that launches Mario's and Luigi's and you have to memorize the order)? It was the only one I couldn't get an S rank... I would be perfect up until they started launching 7 at a time and my brain just couldn't process and remember everything in time.

cafemomo

This game doesn't hold a candle to Mario RPG and Superstar saga, but I can't hate it. This game is so full of charm and wittyness it's just impossible to hate.

It's def worth the price and then some
One of my personal top games of 2013.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
okay, fuck the mad skillathon. S Ranked the fire flower, up to B rank on the green shell but I can't get past ~410 points because after the 4th wave (which gets you to 397 IIRC) the speed and path of the shell start getting really erratic.

:|

I've finished the game, but the second part of the game was a major disappointment. Right before
assembly of the bed
I thought I was nearing the end, but it kept on going and going and going.

Even in the final 'dungeon' I hated the fact that you had to defeat
Kamek
three times
and the boss enemies are able to spam three attacks in one turn.

The big
Bowser
battle was pretty awesome though.

poked around with this again after getting a wee burned out with p4g and ff14 server woes.

I can see where luigi's final smash influences here.

also, so weird to see luigi's thoughts written out. Did he have spoken dialogue in other mario games? Maybe paper mario... and galaxy?

Some of the stuff is quite touching. :X

NEO0MJ

also, so weird to see luigi's thoughts written out. Did he have spoken dialogue in other mario games? Maybe paper mario... and galaxy?

Some of the stuff is quite touching. :X

He was amazing in Paper Mario, all of them. And yeah, Luigi is magnificent, he really knows how to give me feels ; _ ;

thefil

Gave up on the game this weekend.

I couldn't get over the feeling that I was wasting my time in the dream sections. I like the combat variations and the giant Luigi battles, but the platforming is busywork. The puzzles are busywork, and the animations for Luiginary powers take forever. The dream sections themselves feel like busywork to impede progress through the main game.

It feels to me like design centered around putting "50+ hours!" on the box.

I would pick up the game, and if I was playing an overworld section go for 2 hours straight, but take 3 sessions to finish a 30 minute dream world segment.

Really makes me sad to have a game so polarized.

Top Bottom