• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

eshwaaz

But 15 bucks is a steep price.
It's a quality game that's the same length as many $60 titles, offers multiple ways to approach each encounter, accommodates different play styles, and has New Game+.

Like Dust: An Elysian Tale, $15 is a completely reasonable price for Mark of the Ninja, IMO. Arguably a bargain based on what you're getting.

aku:jiki

Picked up the game like a sucker, and am loving every minute of it. Can't say anything that hasn't been said in the thread so I'll just tell everyone to stop waiting for a sale and BUY IT NOW.

A little disappointed in the low difficulty, though, and the fact that you can cheat by killing yourself if you get detected or fuck up otherwise.

! I didn't know that. N+ is still one of the best Arcade titles out this generation. When the fuck are they gonna do another one?
You didn't know it because it's not true, as already noted in the thread. :)

Sadly, while N+ was great and well-received, I'm guessing there was too much drama and they pissed too many people off with that launch to want to revisit it.

cackhyena

You didn't know it because it's not true, as already noted in the thread. :)

Sadly, while N+ was great and well-received, I'm guessing there was too much drama and they pissed too many people off with that launch to want to revisit it.

Oh, didn't know anything about that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
played the game, seems pretty great, but having trouble aiming darts. whats the trick? they always seem to go at what i'm specifically not targeting like a soldier rather then a light.

Labadal

I didn't like the $15 mark like a lot of people, but I was interested in this as soon as I saw the announcement and I have been waiting for it ever since. In the end, the price doesn't matter if the game is good. $15 is a great price for this and the wait was well worth it. Mark of the Ninja is one of my top 5 XBLA games, and I really think people should at least give the demo a try. It's a quality title. You're allowed to approach encounters differently depending on your playstyle. I've only completed two levels so far, the second one without triggering any alarms or killing anyone. I also looked at the achievements and saw a New Game+ one, so I'll do at least one more playthrough, because I didn't know it had NG+.

I can understand if people complain about price, but for me personally, it was well worth the money. It's surprising this wasn't part of Summer of Arcade.

I've never had a problem with the 15 dollar price point. I've paid 30-40 dollars for lesser DS/PSP/Vita games. I've paid 50-60 for lesser retail games. I'm loving what XBLA/PSN offers at that price point.

Grisby

Wow, tons of great impressions. I liked Shank well enough but felt the animations took priority over smoother controls.

I'll have to give this a shot, sounds like something special.

cackhyena

Wow, tons of great impressions. I liked Shank well enough but felt the animations took priority over smoother controls.

That isn't the case here. Everything feels precise. Once you get a handle on all the little things you can do, the spot on animation only embellishes how cool you look navigating around.

This game is make me want a new, really well done Tenchu again. Haven't enjoyed a ninja game since 1 this much. I learned all the little nuances in Tenchu 1 that made you feel like a badass. Loved all the hidden inputs in that game that let you be so stylish if you worked for it.

Adam J.

Yeah I felt the same way about the Shank. I was really surprised at how different and perfect Mark of the Ninja feels though. It's snappy as hell, but still has just the right amount of weight to the movements.

ArjanN

That isn't the case here. Everything feels precise. Once you get a handle on all the little things you can do, the spot on animation only embellishes how cool you look navigating around.

Yeah I felt the same way about the Shank. I was really surprised at how different and perfect Mark of the Ninja feels though. It's snappy as hell, but still has just the right amount of weight to the movements.

Shank 2 was a big improvement over Shank 1 in that regard, but I think a lot of people didn't give that game a chance.

Grisby

This game is make me want a new, really well done Tenchu again. Haven't enjoyed a ninja game since 1 this much. I learned all the little nuances in Tenchu 1 that made you feel like a badass. Loved all the hidden inputs in that game that let you be so stylish if you worked for it.
Good to hear. I've been itching for a more stealthy experience for a while.

Love the premise and trailer, and am getting Shadow Complex levels of redefined old school happy vibes from what I'm seeing here. So bought.

Almost beat the game and loved it the whole way through...almost. The endgame is actually pretty disappointing and annoying. :(

clear31

definitely going to purchase eventually but i have so many damn games just sitting around. even xbla now for me has created a backlog. I have like 20 titles on xbla that i bought through sales that I havent touched especially after this past week.

The demo was great though and I will definitely purchase

MechaX

I think I'll try out the demo in a few. $15 is a bit steep, but I paid that price for Shadow Complex and never regretted that for a second. Hopefully this game can do the same.

cackhyena

I think I'll try out the demo in a few. $15 is a bit steep, but I paid that price for Shadow Complex and never regretted that for a second. Hopefully this game can do the same.
I had just posted elsewhere that Mark of the Ninja is the first downloadable game I'm having trouble putting down since Shadow Complex. So good.

Megasoum

Banned
Game looks amazing and can't wait to play it.

On a side note, and it's not this game's fault of course but the Microsoft point system is really the worst scam ever... They sell a game for 1200 points but you can only buy 500/1000/2000/5000/6000 points on the site or on the dash... Fuck you MS...

On a side note, and it's not this game's fault of course but the Microsoft point system is really the worst scam ever... They sell a game for 1200 points but you can only buy 500/1000/2000/5000/6000 points on the site or on the dash... Fuck you MS...

Is that a Canadian thing? Because I just bought 400 points last night on amazon in the US. We can buy 400/800/1200/1600/2800/4600/etc. Are msp region locked?

Must be Canadian. US is 400, 800, 1600, 4000, 6000

As for the game, I just made it through a run on level 1 without killing or alerting the guards and still collecting everything. So much fun.

Megasoum

Banned
Is that a Canadian thing? Because I just bought 400 points last night on amazon in the US. We can buy 400/800/1200/1600/2800/4600/etc. Are msp region locked?

Must be Canadian. US is 400, 800, 1600, 4000, 6000

As for the game, I just made it through a run on level 1 without killing or alerting the guards and still collecting everything. So much fun.

But but....we have Mayple syrup!!!!
Sigh, I hate region specifc crap like that. The us splits are much better

dat ghost

Yuh being super sneaky is awesome, I did the same on level 2.. but I can't wait to unlock some of those terror(iirc?) moves. Managed to terrorize one guard in the demo and he became super paranoid, was kinda funny.

DocSeuss

This is pretty much it, and if you are co publishing on other platforms the XBLA version NEEDS to have some exclusive content

Blame Sony for not stepping their game up enough to combat XBLA

My understanding was that it went like this:

If it's being published on XBLA, it has to be published concurrently, first (as a timed exclusive--which doesn't really bother me at all, since I tend to prefer XBLA-style games on my 360), or not at all (see a lot of same-day XBLA games).

If it's being published on PSN, it has to come concurrently, first, or have exclusive content. I personally find this far worse, and hate it when multiplayer games have system-exclusive content.

Since Microsoft is the publisher, I imagine that this, like ilomilo or Trials, will come to the PC when Windows 8 has their Windows 8 app store deal, but not before.

--

This is the best 2D stealth game I've ever played. I'm already thinking about how I'll do things differently in future playthroughs. Thief, of course, is still the best stealth game ever, but hey, that's a fully 3D immersive sim. Kinda hard for a 2D arcade game to live up to that. For me, Mark of the Ninja is a solid 9/10. I don't really get 'combat' though. I'd like to at least be able to fight dudes if I make a mistake, rather than try to escape, run the risk of death, and start over.

Anyone have a challenge room glitch on them? I can't complete the puzzle now, I died and it reset all the lasers but all of the switches are still destroyed. :I

Skilletor

I played a level trying not to kill anybody and it felt like an entirely different experience. It really emphasizes the tools and level design playing this way.

This game is amazing.

Emitan

The Giant Bomb Quicklook was amazing. Fuuuuck wish I wasn't jobless at the moment or I'd pick this up :(

For reference the last time I turned on my 360 was about a year ago.

What in the....I have never heard of this game.
Bless you OP I am picking this up right now!

This is the best 2D stealth game I've ever played. I'm already thinking about how I'll do things differently in future playthroughs. Thief, of course, is still the best stealth game ever, but hey, that's a fully 3D immersive sim. Kinda hard for a 2D arcade game to live up to that. For me, Mark of the Ninja is a solid 9/10. I don't really get 'combat' though. I'd like to at least be able to fight dudes if I make a mistake, rather than try to escape, run the risk of death, and start over.

The only other 2D stealth games I can think of is maybe Abes Odyssey.

Krabboss

After playing the game for a bit, I am realising when Brad Shoemaker said it's the best stealth game he's ever played he actually meant it's the easiest stealth game he has ever played.

The game is okay, though. The controls are nice and finding secrets is fun. Though I don't much care for the ninja aesthetic.

what did they do??? i love that game so i'm interested to hear
They made a lot of loudmouth, ignorant comments in interviews around the release and every time they pissed people off, their attempt at damage control was even worse and just pissed more people off. The worst offender was when they made a giant list of pretty much every game on XBLA in order to list what was wrong with each of them and to say how much more awesome N+ was than all of them. Just not very classy.

If I'm in the Catacombs, can someone tell me how much I have left to go?
I'll try to avoid spoilers and just say that the game does not end in Hessian Castle, there's one more area.

Unlocked some new suits, rockin the
Destroyer
for the time being. Probably going to do a replay through the reg game again with the
Silence
suit and ghost the entire thing as much as possible. Seems that'll be the way to top the leaderboards.

KTallguy

Banned
I did a marathon run and beat it today...it took about 6-8 hours, lots of retrying. Really liked that you can ghost the entire game. A lot of simple tricks work on the guards, but the tools are also extremely useful! I like how quickly the checkpoint loading is, very important for stealth games. I like the secondary objectives, although I didn't do any of the ones that involved killing dudes. But honestly it's one of the best stealth games I've ever played, mechanically.

Not a fan of the art style or the silly story. But who gives a shit. The level design was also pretty awesome. Loved the variety of environments and the environmental effects. There is one suit that you get that lets you run without making noise, I used that 99% of the time, except for the very cool new suit you get near the end ;) With NG+ I think I'm going to murder everyone in the levels. Use all those offensive tools I didn't try.

Good job Klei!

Gowans

Played another few levels this morning. Think I have two to go.

I'm in a no nonsense pissed off mode, everyone is getting killed but I'm not raising alarms. Feel like a utter bad ass.

Slaker117

Beat the first three levels and think this game is pretty great. Can't wait to get more fun tools and abilities to play around with; it seems like the kind of thing that could really open up and give different types of players a lot of choice in how they approach things. Art style is pretty solid too.

Top Bottom