• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg Says He's No Longer An Atheist, Believes "Religion Is Very Important"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not snickering at a man professing to have found religion. I'm snickering at the convenience of the timing at his sudden reinvention in the face of the incoming government.

Not really. I am just glad he has seen the light.

Do not ever, ever believe that people dependent on the masses for their wealth have "seen the light". Bottom line is people don't like atheists, and power is a seductive mistress. There are way more atheists in elected offices than will ever admit it.

STUPID PLEBEIANS OF FAITH AM I RIGHT??? LMAO

Atheist folks having real trouble being open minded and accepting that yes, people's opinion of things change and they move towards new meanings as they see different lights. Ironic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/

How long until NeoGaf becomes /r/atheism?

So question, why is it ok to openly mock atheism, but the slightest criticism of religion is met with hostility?

When I was younger, my mother met a man who was a devout Seventh Day Adventist. I had to witness her be stripped of all she was. I was robbed of any ambition to do anything because "Jesus was returning at any moment". I couldn't make friends. I was afraid all the time. Life was hell. To this day, I still go to therapy because I have waking dreams of "the second coming " which is terrifying. I resent the notion that those of us who choose to abandon that way of life are fools or "think they know it all". Some of us have been abused from it. The mocking isn't appreciated.

As far as the topic goes, I'm not sure what he means exactly. There is a world of difference between believing in god, and being religious. I could see an atheist coming around to a kind of deism, but I can't imagine any evidence would come around that would convince one that a man walked on water, turned water into wine, and rose from the dead.

Some people change their mind though. No harm in that in and of itself. Just continue being a force for good. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

hodgy100

I'm an Atheist. Been one for as long as I remember. I too think religion is very important, in that many people believe, so it's an important facet of humanity.

Yup. Pretending religion isn't important is ignoring a large part of the human races culture. Pretending it isn't important as an atheist is especially ignorant.

Monocle

Yup. Pretending religion isn't important is ignoring a large part of the human races culture. Pretending it isn't important as an atheist is especially ignorant.
I don't think you'll find many atheists at all who would claim religion isn't influential. I mean, religion's widespread influence is the reason atheist is a defined position, and something of an identity for some people. We don't have a name for leprechaun skeptics or Easter Bunny unbelievers.

mStudios

So question, why is it ok to openly mock atheism, but the slightest criticism of religion is met with hostility?

When I was younger, my mother met a man who was a devout Seventh Day Adventist. I had to witness her be stripped of all she was. I was robbed of any ambition to do anything because "Jesus was returning at any moment". I couldn't make friends. I was afraid all the time. Life was hell. To this day, I still go to therapy because I have waking dreams of "the second coming " which is terrifying. I resent the notion that those of us who choose to abandon that way of life are fools or "think they know it all". Some of us have been abused from it. The mocking isn't appreciated.

As far as the topic goes, I'm not sure what he means exactly. There is a world of difference between believing in god, and being religious. I could see an atheist coming around to a kind of deism, but I can't imagine any evidence would come around that would convince one that a man walked on water, turned water into wine, and rose from the dead.

Some people change their mind though. No harm in that in and of itself. Just continue being a force for good. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

here
FemQwtB.png

more:
http://imgur.com/a/8YyaO

I'm agnostic, btw.

RocknRola

That's cool? Doesn't really change who he is I guess. Good for him in any case.

And I agree, if people want to be religious go for it. None of my damn business. Now if he wanted to give out some of those profitable (?) Facebook stocks for us poor folks... :p

Cepheus

I'm not snickering at a man professing to have found religion. I'm snickering at the convenience of the timing at his sudden reinvention in the face of the incoming government.

I'm seeing this the same way. He coincidentally finds God right before the Republicans take control.

mhayes86

A commenter called him out for celebrating Christmas? I'm an atheist and celebrate Christmas. I grew up celebrating it and fucking love Christmas!

What are you talking about. Religion is mocked WAY more on the internet than atheism. I mean look at any terrorism related threads, people are found shitting on Islam from great heights. The trend of mocking atheism is actually new and it has started because some atheist are taking it way too seriously, to the point that because kind of pseudo-religion itself.

I hate preaching, that why I can't stand religious folks. But when it starts coming for atheists, it gets even more ridiculous. You are guys are supposed to be the rational ones !

I am sorry about your experience growing up. I too was religiously brainwashed when I was young which made me miss out on a lot of life experiences. But I don't necessarily blame religion for it. Sure the doctrine is fucked up sometimes, but its like any other idea which can either be used for good or utter stupidity.

True evil isn't in ideas, either they be religious ideas or scientific. True Evil is in human beings that implement said ideas for their own nefarious goals.

A commenter called him out for celebrating Christmas? I'm an atheist and celebrate Christmas. I grew up celebrating it and fucking love Christmas!

Yea I don't get it either. It's part of the culture.

I'm guessing because of the "War on Christmas" some Christians like to perpetuate here in the States, that celebrating it openly is seen as a profession of faith.

womfalcs3

Banned
Atheist is just another word for "arrogant". How can we as inconsequential human beings say for a fact there is no God. When we don't know anything, really.

Atheist is just another word for "arrogant". How can we as inconsequential human beings say for a fact there is no God. When we don't know anything, really.

Atheism doesn't say there is no god. It's that there is a lack of evidence for one.

Claiming that you know there is one, is arrogant.

It's more arrogant to claim to not believe in something there is no evidence for than to invent elaborate stories about the universe and say that people will suffer for all eternity if they don't believe them.

womfalcs3

Banned
Your quote doesn't agree with your argument. Maybe read it more carefully.

It says atheists don't believe in God... they don't believe He, or other deities exist. I would be more accepting of agnosticism... which says there's no evidence and therefore the jury is out.

Greddleok

"Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist.[5][6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Lol have you even read what you quoted?

It says atheists don't believe in God... they don't believe He, or other deities exist. I would be more accepting of agnosticism... which says there's no evidence and therefore the jury is out.

Don't believe, not actively believe there is nothing. Agnosticism is not what you seem to think it is. Agnosticism is a stance on belief, nothing to do with theism.

You can be an agnostic atheist, just as you can be an agnostic theist.

We don't know anything, but God surely exists?

You give humanity too little credit. Our understanding of reality leaves no room for an interfering God. Nothing, not even the big 3 gods, gets to violate the laws of nature.

Do you accept those who absolutely believe in a god, if the "jury is still out"?

"I don't believe deities exist" != "I believe deities don't exist"

Agnosticism is not an alternative to atheism. It refers to the certainty of knowledge, you can be an agnostic theist, or an agnostic atheist.

Heartfyre

Atheists don't have the numbers for this to be true. Those who publically identify as atheists make up less than 15% of the human population.

FTFY.

I live in a country where churches are closing from a mixture of low attendance and insufficient numbers of priests, but the population still claims to be 84.2% Catholic according to the last census. Cultural Catholicism is a real thing.

Grug

The "atheists are more preachy than religious people hurrr" meme has become so cliched and overplayed that atheists are now doubly marginalised.

AtheistPresident-550x278.png

It's both. Pretending that religion is not the root of a lot of evil going on in this world is very ignorant and/or naive.

For something to be the root it needs to be... well the root. Religion doesn't exist without people. So no, religion is not a root of evil. People are. Religion is just an implement by people.

Atheist and Agnostic do not apply to the same thing.

Agnostic means you don't claim to know if something is literally true. But you can claim to have faith in some doctrine and be an agnostic theist or not have any faith and be an agnostic atheist. People who claim to be fence sitter agnostics who deny being atheists while not demonstrating a commitment to a faith are what can be called agnostic atheist liars.

The Kree

Banned
FTFY.

I live in a country where churches are closing from a mixture of low attendance and insufficient numbers of priests, but the population still claims to be 84.2% Catholic according to the last census. Cultural Catholicism is a real thing.

Disillusionment with the institutions of religion is different than atheism. I don't know anybody who goes to church either, but almost everybody I do know believes in a god or gods.

azyless

Lol, what ? If a group earns the "arrogant" title it would certainly be the theists, who are far less likely to also be agnostic compared to atheists.

Atheists don't have the numbers for this to be true. Atheists make up less than 15% of the human population.

I said on the internet.
Those people who are mocking atheism in public are usually the same people calling all other religions but theirs as false. They usually represent the extreme fringe and are not mainstream.

I would however say that it is still nowhere close to being easy to be an openly atheist person in non Western countries. But again this is about mocking on the internet and not actual day to day behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom