• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Still too covered

eOiOUoQ.jpg

Those puppies... they yearn for freedom.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I have to believe Marvel is going to move Ant Man's release date now. No way they want it going head to head with James Bond.

I wonder if this means that Ant-Man and Wasp will appear in Avengers 2 and that the Ant-Man film will take place before A2.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Pretty sure we will probably get that. My predictions for comic con are:
  • Mostly focused on Thor
  • New trailer for Thor
  • Scene footage for Thor
  • Q and A with Thor actors and maybe some Cap actors
  • Footage for Cap
  • Full cast reveal for Guardians of the Galaxy
  • New GotG concept art
  • Maybe some GotG set photos/pictures of actors in costume
  • Official announcement of Doctor Strange with a logo
  • Possibly some casting announcements for Avengers 2

crappy Loeb animated shows

Marvel’s been meaning to get around to a Doctor Strange movie for years, but in recent months the talk has really intensified. Kevin Feige confirmed that the Sorcerer Supreme would finally get his standalone in Phase Three of the Cinematic Universe, and a new rumor about a potential star, director, or storyline seems to crop up every few weeks.

Today, the latest (unconfirmed) word is that Marvel’s already got their eye on a leading man. The studio reportedly wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play Doc Strange, though there’s still a pretty wide chasm between “wants” and “has struck a deal with.”

Latino Review, which has been behind much of the recent Doctor Strange talk, picked up the rumor. As they caution, Gordon-Levitt’s casting is still far from certain. No formal offer has been extended that they know of, and no formal negotiations have begun. In fact, “Levitt and his team are probably unaware” right now that he’s the top pick. So basically, that just means Gordon-Levitt’s name is sitting at the top of a wish list on some producer’s desk.

Gordon-Levitt’s name seems to crop up any time a major movie franchise is casting. In fact, Doctor Strange isn’t even Gordon-Levitt’s first brush with Marvel Studios, as he was one of many, many young male stars considered for the Star-Lord role in Guardians of the Galaxy. He was eliminated from the running when he opted to do Sin City: A Dame to Kill For instead, but now he may get his shot at joining the MCU yet.

Over his career, Gordon-Levitt’s demonstrated an ability and a willingness to jump between big-budget studio projects and smaller indie efforts. He had roles in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and The Dark Knight Rises (the latter of which prompted Justice League rumors, naturally). He recently took his first stab at feature directing with Don Jon, and will star next year in Sin City.

richiek

Latino Review's reports have been pretty crappy lately. I suspect it's nothing but click bait. Besides, JGL is too young to play Strange.

Another rumor: Incredible Hulk 2 to be based on the current Marvel NOW comic.

In case you are not familiar with the Indestructible Hulk comic, the basic premise of the story is that Hulk is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. To get into more detail about the current comic title, Banner feels he needs to give back to society so he approaches S.H.I.E.L.D. and asks for a lab where he can give the world inventions that will help society in exchange for letting S.H.I.E.L.D. "point and aim" the Hulk whenever needed.

So why would this work on the big screen? First of all, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has openly said the key to another Hulk film is Ruffalo's portrayal of Banner. Hulk is just the icing on the cake in any future movie. Plus, Marvel's continued vision and focus since the days of Stan Lee running the show has been all about the person and his or her character behind the hero. So far this has been true in Marvel's Phase 1 and seems to be continuing during Phase 2 as well.

In the case of an Indestructible Hulk-based movie script, Banner would definitely be a big focus. As would S.H.I.E.L.D and having Hulk as a SHIELD agent brings a more realistic use for the green hero instead of telling the story that he's always running and hiding to stay away from stress, anger and putting people in danger.

Even though this is just a rumor, it really has to make Marvel fans think that Marvel Studios' next Hulk solo movie could very well be titled, "Indestructible Hulk." If any of this is true, of course. But since any potential Hulk sequel is in the very early stages of any type of development and scripting, take this rumor with a grain of salt.

I have to say the Indestructible Hulk idea sounds much better than a Planet Hulk/World War Hulk movie.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I don't want JGL as Strange. Ugh. I'm sure he would do a great job because he's a good actor, but 1.) there are actors that better fit that character aesthetically and age-wise and 2.) there are characters that JGL would fit better aesthetically and age-wise.

I do, however, really want a sequel to The Incredible Hulk. I wish Norton hadn't been recast, but that ship has sailed. Bring on TIH2 with Ruffalo!

I bet they could do a smaller budget Surfer film. I don't see him having wide audience appeal but a Silver Surfer movie with the appropriate amount of respect given to the source material could be entertaining. More Hellboy makeup/prosthetics and less CGI metal.

I don't see surfer carrying his own movie. He works better as a supporting character.

He's hilariously overpowered, with no humanizing element- superman on steroids minus Clark Kent for audiences to relate with.

Vega

I don't see surfer carrying his own movie. He works better as a supporting character.

He's hilariously overpowered, with no humanizing element- superman on steroids minus Clark Kent for audiences to relate with.

I said a few times now, put him in Thor 3 and enjoy the visual awesomeness.

bananas

Banned
If Marvel wants Doctor Strange to be their main Avengers franchise after RDJ leaves, then JGL is a smart choice.

1) He's young.
2) He's well known and likable.
3) It cuts off any plans that WB/DC would've had with him in the Justice League/Batman (if there are any).

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
3) It cuts off any plans that WB/DC would've had with him in the Justice League/Batman (if there are any).
If he's smart, he will have shot those down himself already. The next Batman movie very well might be ripped to shreds, regardless of how good it might truly be, because of how well Nolan's trilogy got on with the general public.

It's too bad Marvel Studios will never get back Spider-Man. I don't think that I would mind him as Peter Parker.

Anth0ny

I'll be at SDCC this year. I hope I can catch some cool future MCU related stuff while I'm there.

Here's hoping they have something like this again on the show floor:

d55839d44540c5de927cebb51c39c419.jpg

jph139

Maybe on JGL for Strange... I'd prefer someone older but I could see him as a "Sorcerer Supreme in Training" sort of role, new to the position and magic and all that. I'd have to see it before I make a call.

I'd prefer not to see another Hulk, though... Ruffalo just isn't the Banner for me.

Vibranium

Banned
Maybe on JGL for Strange... I'd prefer someone older but I could see him as a "Sorcerer Supreme in Training" sort of role, new to the position and magic and all that. I'd have to see it before I make a call.

I'd prefer not to see another Hulk, though... Ruffalo just isn't the Banner for me.

I find that really interesting when people say that, I love how his Banner wants to help and actually has a sense of humour about the zaniness of everything around him. He fits the "Indestructible Hulk" storyline by Mark Waid to a t since in Avengers we saw him having fun with Stark in the SHIELD lab, it makes sense he'd want to invent stuff to serve a purpose to the world with a place to go at SHIELD like Cap, while the organization manipulates Hulk into doing what they want. The grey area of the whole thing would be excellent material to explore. So yeah, upon rewatches of IH I prefer him much more to Ed Norton, especially since he bases his version on Bill Bixby's.

Speaking of IH, if Marvel ever decides to bring back Abomination I wonder if they'd just get some random person to voice/mo-cap him instead of Tim Roth. They could hopefully give him more of a comics-friendly reptilian appearance this time by using mutations as an excuse (but not the actual word thanks to Fox hehe).

J10

Banned
This premise for The Indestructible Hulk movie sounds like a prelude to Planet Hulk anyway, don't it? SHIELD deploys the Hulk, something goes horribly wrong, and in the end they decide to fling him into space as a last resort. I'm betting Planet Hulk still happens.

On the other hand, the premise is flimsy. Banner wouldn't need to work for SHIELD to help people. He could work for Stark Industries and still have all the funding he needs. Him working for SHIELD would probably just end up as some plot contrivance to force another conflict down the road.

richiek

Speaking of IH, if Marvel ever decides to bring back Abomination I wonder if they'd just get some random person to voice/mo-cap him instead of Tim Roth. They could hopefully give him more of a comics-friendly reptilian appearance this time by using mutations as an excuse (but not the actual word thanks to Fox hehe).

I'd like to see the Leader appear in the film, and Red Hulk (Gen Ross teams with Leader, combines Hulk's blood with Extremis to become Rulk).

Showaddy

If Marvel wants Doctor Strange to be their main Avengers franchise after RDJ leaves, then JGL is a smart choice.

1) He's young.
2) He's well known and likable.

DC fans would lynch Warner Bros if they made Blake the Batman in JL instead of Wayne. There's no way in hell they'd ever consider it, frankly with the Nolon's trilogy done JGL done as well.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Hoping we get some casting announcements this week all the same though.

Something on Ant-Man or the Avengers 2 would be sweet. Or Rocket Raccoon, surely.

Get me a Rocket Raccoon announcement that isn't Ray FUCKING Winstone and I will be content.

I may well not watch the movie if it has Ray Winstone in it. Cannot stand the man.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

He's more of the visiting alien type than the trying to assimilate alien type. So ill have to say I disagree. Theres plenty of Norin Radd underneath the power cosmic. Especially in his mini series.

Showaddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4v_htkFBopc

According to Clive Russell, who plays Tyr in Thor: The Dark World, he just did a scene with
Benicio del Toro

MARVEL'S GOING COSMIC, BITCHES.

As much as I hate to burst the bubble having watched the interview there's a good chance he's talking generally about a scene with Del Toro in The Wolfman.

Bearing in mind Russell wasn't even at liberty to say what weapon he was using in Thor 2...

Top Bottom