• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

shield

Nice new photo of Loki in Thor: The Dark World

BQ6_AupCAAEhBwJ.jpg:large

Pretty interesting interview stuff from SDCC about the characters:

From ComicBookResources
Pratt: For Quill, without blowing too much of his origin, or anything like that, there's a petulance to him. He hasn't really been held accountable, as an adult. He's been able to be free in space and do whatever he's wanted to do. That's really fun because it means that he's slept with all these super weird aliens. That's my favorite weird element of the character. It's just very wonderful.

But, my favorite moment that I've had was when I first donned my full wardrobe in the costume department. I put it on and it was just like, "Wow!" I wore it, and I thought that was pretty wonderful. All of a sudden, my walk changed a little bit, and I had a little extra bob in my head. That was pretty cool.

Saldana: I play Gamora. The weirdest thing about her is that she turns green when she blushes, she turns green when she's mad, and she turns green when she's turned on. And what's wonderful is that she has grown up in an environment that has misrepresented how she truly feels inside and she's gonna discover that, hopefully.

Michael Rooker: There's a lot of me in Yondu. When I first read the script, I noticed right away that there are some aspects of Yondu's existence within this universe of ours that were very, very close to me. For example, the tough love that I have towards some of the other cast members. I'm very much like that in my life, as well. I hardly ever do make-up, in the movies I've done, except on James Gunn movies. This one is about two-and-a-half hours. To me, that's a very interesting aspect. When I get mad, I turn red. When I get embarrassed, I turn red. When I get turned on, I get red. And I want the audience to see that, in the character. So, if the character is getting mad, getting upset or getting turned on, you're getting to see that in the facial tones and the skin tones. That's what I enjoy about acting. It can be very subtle, like that. With a lot of make-up on, you can't see a lot of that, so I prefer to have no make-up, at all. But not in this one. I'm very excited to be involved with this.

Karen Gillan: I play Nebula, and she looks pretty weird. One of the most interesting things about the character, for me, is her very strange and complex relationship to Gamora.

So I guess Gamora isn't going to be green 100% of the time? Weird that Yondu does the same thing. I also didn't realize Djimon Honsou was playing Korath but I think that's been confirmed for a while. There's more at the link too.

Vibranium

Banned
In Captain America news, Sebastian Stan said in an interview that if you freeze the scene in The First Avenger when Steve rescues Bucky from Zola's experimentation table, there's a "subtle" hint at how he survives for The Winter Soldier.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=84937

I'm going to go back to look at the scene, I can't believe I missed it. I knew they'd use that part to explain the Winter Soldier somehow though. I'll let you guys know what I find.

EDIT: On further examination, once again all I can see is Zola's machinery and tubes connecting to the table Barnes is on. My personal guess is that Zola used a modified version of the Super Soldier Serum (different than Red Skull's or Blonsky's) on Bucky and some form of radiation treatment or vita rays. That would explain how Bucky survived his fall from the train, maybe his body was recovered and stored in the bomber Cap and Skull were on? The Russians could have found him first as a result.

J10

Banned
Yeah, he was clearly in a lab being experimented on - that's the clue. This is not some big reveal after the fact if you already know who Bucky is going to be. All this does is make his body being preserved well enough in the cold more plausible.

I don't think it's a version of the serum though. I think it's more likely Tesseract related since that's what Zola had been working with throughout the film. Or maybe both - energy from the cube as a substitute for Vita-rays in conjunction with the serum. The Vita-rays seems to be the component everybody keeps missing - Banner used Gamma Rays, Blonsky didn't get any, and they both ended up with deformities.

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah, he was clearly in a lab being experimented on - that's the clue. This is not some big reveal after the fact if you already know who Bucky is going to be. All this does is make his body being preserved well enough in the cold more plausible.

I don't think it's a version of the serum though. I think it's more likely Tesseract related since that's what Zola had been working with throughout the film. Or maybe both - energy from the cube as a substitute for Vita-rays in conjunction with the serum. The Vita-rays seems to be the component everybody keeps missing - Banner used Gamma Rays, Blonsky didn't get any, and they both ended up with deformities.

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Zola would want to use the Tesseract in all sorts of terrible ways on the soldiers to boost HYDRA's (ugh, still should have been proper Nazis...) forces, Bucky just happened to be the poor sap who lived through it thanks to his comics status. We'll see how this pans out though I guess, Brubaker did mention that there's key stuff from his run and the cosmic cube obviously was a huge part of The Winter Soldier storyline.

I just can't wait to finally see an agile Cap in TWS who's mastered all the martial arts he can learn about- he has to do something with all that free time at SHIELD! That elevator scene with Crossbones and co. shown at SDCC sounds fucking awesome.

So, do we know if there are any Marvel announcements at D23 when they'd be? I know they announced Big Hero 6's release date, but that's not the MCU.

TDLink

When does this starts exactly?

The panel is 10 AM - 12:30 PM Pacific Time

It should be covering Pirates 5, Tomorrowland, Saving Mr. Banks, Thor The Dark World, Captain America Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers Age of Ultron, and possibly Star Wars Episode VII.

EDIT: Sounds like some new clips shown for Thor and Cap. As well as all the comic-con stuff they showed for Thor, Cap, GotG, and A2. That's it though. No new announcements or anything.

shield

Anyone know how tight the security is at D23 compared to Comic Con? Wondering how likely it is that the footage shown will leak.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Marvel: D23 debuts new scenes for 'Thor' and 'Captain America' sequels

Thor: The Dark World
Natalie Portman is not feeling well.
Those who have followed the footage and trailers released from this November’s sequel know that the Oscar-winner’s Jane Foster is taken by Thor from Earth back to his homeworld of Asgard, but until now we haven’t known exactly why.
According to new scenes showcased by Marvel Studios at Disney’s D23 fan convention, it turns out she’s infected.

A mysterious energy has taken possession of her body, and although her mind remains the same, her body is now something more than radioactive.

In new footage previewed at D23, a cluster of jittery, frightened British cops approach a disheveled Jane as she clings to Chris Hemsworth’s Thor. “Step back, she’s dangerous!” one cop shouts.

“So am I,” Thor replies, triggering an energy beam that takes her back to his celestial realm.

There we see Foster laid out on a glowing table while medieval-looking doctors operating futuristic, holographic scanning devices examine her. “Is that a quantum field generator?” Foster asks.

The doctor says it is not.

“Does it transfer molecular energy from one place to another?” Foster, the astrophysicist, asks her examiner, who nods. She smiles to Thor: “It’s a quantum field generator.”
Anthony Hopkins’ one-eyed ruler Odin enters the room, furious that his son brought the human to their kingdom. “She does not belong here in Asgard any more than a goat belongs at a banquet table,” he shouts.

Portman, of course, disputes the notion that she is a goat.

Odin replies that he knows who she is. “Jane Foster.”

Portman beams. “You told your dad about me!?”

But there’s no levity from Thor. “Something is in her, father, something I have not seen before.”

Odin is unmoved. He suggests dispatching her back to Earth so human doctors can deal with the problem. But as guards seize her, a blast emanates from her skin and throws them across the room.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The banter kicked off brand-new footage from the film, out next April. Feige warned that since the film just finished shooting, the scene would feature a mix of black-and-white rough animation, and a lack of some sound effects.

It begins with a crudely animated quinjet flying through the clouds. Inside, Captain America and Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow are strap-hanging, and making awkward conversation.

“Doing anything fun Saturday night?” she asks.

“Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so … ” he responds.

As Cap prepares to skydive from the plane, wearing his gray-scale stealth uniform, she says bluntly: “If you asked Kristen out from statistics, she would probably say yes.”

This is a subject for which Cap has no shield. He prepares to dive.

“Too shy or too scared?” Black Widow asks.

“Too busy,” he says, plunging from the back of the quinjet.

Frank Grillo, playing the S.H.I.E.L.D. operative Crossbones, notes that he fell with no parachute. We then see rough animation of Cap swandiving thousands of feet to make an Olympics-worthy plunge into the ocean beside a cargo ship, loaded with menacing men carrying machine guns.

Cap climbs aboard via the anchor chain, and begins silently taking out the mercenaries, ninja-style, the only sound the clanging of his shield against their craniums.
Once the bad guys are neutralized, Crossbones floats down on a parachute to take out the last one.

“Thanks,” Cap says.

“You seemed pretty helpless without me,” Grillo’s character replies.

Black Widow then lands and picks up right where she intrusively left off: “What about the nurse who lives across the hall from you? She seems nice.”

Also, a new synopsis for Cap 2 was revealed:

After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” finds Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy—the Winter Soldier.

Gorillaz

I actually didn't think Natalie would come back for awhile. Her and Marvel have been at odds for literally the entire production of Thor 1. I'm in the group that says she will probably get killed off

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
More photos of Guardians of the Galaxy shooting at Millennium Bridge in London:

wenn20567562.jpg

4930593_wenn20567686.jpg

4525911_wenn20567504.jpg

8798732_wenn20567370.jpg

Looks like a Nova Corps officer in the second shot.

Hopefully they add some CG aliens or something because almost all of the aliens in the pictures look just like painted humans. Adding some variety would go a long way.

TDLink

Those GotG shots look great.

Hopefully they add some CG aliens or something because almost all of the aliens in the pictures look just like painted humans. Adding some variety would go a long way.

The Kree (main alien race in GotG) are basically just human looking but Blue or Pink, so that's why.

Not sure what the dudes with the cone heads are.

itshappening.gif

"Superhero bubble" be damned, gimme more Cosmic Marvel.

I'm finding it difficult to place GotG inside the superhero bubble, tbh. It just sounds so... distinct from the rest of the blockbuster superhero movie landscape, let alone the rest of the MCU.

Of course, the final product could turn out to be formulaic as owt, but still.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if given the attempt at slightly grounding the MCU, there will ever be an offhand explanation for humanoids populating the galaxy. Even if it's a Star Trek style handwave ala "the precursors did it".

Top Bottom