• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Maria Hill instead of Coulson? Ewww no. Bring back Coulson please

Dr.Strange in Thor could be cool. Though I'd much prefer him played by Benedict Cumberbatch as rumoured previously.

I think they need to have at least more than 1 non-IM/CA/Thor film before Avengers 2. After how positively Hulk was received in Avengers, he would be the logical choice. I think Ant-Man, Hulk and Punisher would be good choices. With Strange that would take the Avengers roster up to 9, which is more than enough (Presuming the previous 6 return).

Although that would mean we'd still have only have 1 female member :(

I'm not totally sold on Dr. Strange in the Avengers. He only became an Avenger a couple years ago when they started letting everyone in. For the rest of his history, he's always just done his own thing.

Besides, Thor is already pushing it, but putting Iron Man next to a straight-up wizard might be too much for some people.

noah111

Still Alive
Here are the logos for Marvel's Phase 2 films:

earlymarvel1.JPG
Thor 2's looks sexy. That logo was born to have a 2. Everything else, not so much.

A slew of new story info and rumors on Marvel Phase II. They come from an insider but take with a grain of salt anyway, especially since some of these are still in the writing and even conceptual stage. Figured I'd post it anyway since it's all pretty interesting stuff.

Iron Man 3
-no Scarlett, no Sam Rockwell
-Pepper has a smaller role
-Ben Kingsley is playing a different version of the Mandarin (which is apparently a code name)
-SHIELD will still have a presence
-Val Kilmer was originally going to play a SHIELD agent who would essentially be the new Coulson (i.e. replacing the Stark/Coulson dynamic with a Kiss Kiss Bang Bang reunion) but that fell apart at the last minute), so Maria Hill will be filling that role instead
-mostly stuff we already know

Thor 2
-villains will be Executioner (Mads Mikkelson) and Enchantress (rumored frontrunners are Alice Eve and Brit Marling)
-Dr. Strange will be a major supporting role; he's an astrophysicist, colleague of Jane, that gets his hands on the Eye of Agamotto from Odin's vault
-Marvel wants Joel Edgerton for Strange but who knows how that'll go (probably won't pan out)
-Thor is kind of a king in the movie, or at least he's much more of a ruler
-entire cast of the first movie will return except for Kat Dennings

Captain America 2
-original story was to have Cap shake down a terrorist organization; this was going to double as a (re)introduction for the Punisher, and Steve and Castle's ideological clash was going to be a center point of the story. This whole plot was dropped though
-villains are Arnim Zola, Winter Soldier, and a Russian terror group that may be related to HYDRA
-film will be set in the present day; cast from the first movie could appear in flashbacks
-SHIELD will be make up most of the supporting cast: Fury, Hawkeye, Widow, and Sharon Carter (which Marvel wants to bring back Hayley Atwell for)

Ant-Man
-Edgar Wright will shoot the tag for Iron Man 3 this year; it'll involve Ant-Man and the IM3 character that Andy Lau was supposed to play (a new version of Radioactive Man; apparently a SHIELD agent rather than a villain)
-there's a push from Wright's camp to have Simon Pegg play Ant-Man
-will be Marvel's second 2014 film

The Avengers 2
-Downey will return, sounds like Whedon will too
-Marvel wants to add Ant-Man, Wasp, Dr. Strange, and either Black Panther or Luke Cage to the roster
-one of their 2015 films, but could slip into 2016

-Marvel wants another film for 2015, to come out before Avengers 2
-one idea is a Black Panther solo film, another has been a Heroes for Hire film
-third idea is another Hulk film, which would involve General Ross (which Marvel still wants William Hurt for) putting together a team led by Black Panther to take down Banner
-Whedon would co-write this script with Drew Goddard, who would direct the film
-would also involve the return of the Leader
-this is all extremely early though, still in the idea stage, they haven't put pen to paper yet

Source (starts around 21 min mark)
I'm ok with this..... Fuck it, I love all of this. Dr. Strange in Thor 2!! I wish they would somehow include BP into CA2 just to prep for a solo 2015 movie for him, though. Hope this is all mostly true, though.

Mafro

Really don't want Edgar Wright to do Ant Man. The initial idea he had with Hank Pym as 60s and man and Scott Lang as the modern day one was bad enough, but what little interest I have in the film as it is would completely vanish if he casts his mate Simon Pegg in the role.

Everything else on that list sounds great, especially Thor 2 and Captain America 2.

Really don't want Edgar Wright to do Ant Man.The initial idea he had with Hank Pym as 60s and man and Scott Lang as the modern day one was bad enough, but what little interest I have in the film as it is would completely vanish if he casts his mate Simon Pegg in the role.

Everything else on that list sounds great, especially Thor 2 and Captain America 2.
Wow, it's like you people hate good movies.

ReiGun

Not liking the idea of Panther coming in a Hulk movie, and working for Ross. Strange intro could be cool, but his actual origin is much better, I say.

The thing that's fishy about the Thor 2 rumors is that it's already confirmed the guy who played Fandral would be replaced. SO it's not "everyone will be back". Could care less about Darcy though. As long as they get the same gal who plays Sif.

Other than that not bad. I kinda wish they'd introduce Strange in a similar way as the Animated movie. Not perfect, but it was a good take. That idea in the rumor makes him sound like a greedy thief of some sort. Just doesn't sound right.

I can't imagine Pegg doing Ant-man. I'm unable to process how it would work.

Not liking the idea of Panther coming in a Hulk movie, and working for Ross. Strange intro could be cool, but his actual origin is much better, I say.

The obvious ending of that, with Ross going Rulk and them all teaming up with Hulk to fight The Leader, sounds awesome though.

Slayven

It is all part of Panther plan to give Banner a Wakandian citizenship. T'challa will say something like " You see a monster, I see one of the greatest minds to have ever existed."

ReiGun

The obvious ending of that, with Ross going Rulk and them all teaming up with Hulk to fight The Leader, sounds awesome though.
Oh that sound good.

In fact, if Marvel wants to intro Heroes for Hire, that Hulk thing would be a great way to do it. Have Ross pay Luke and Danny to help.

It is all part of Panther plan to give Banner a Wakandian citizenship. T'challa will say something like " You see a monster, I see one of the greatest minds to have ever existed."
Then we can have this scene:

Tony: It's cool guys. We have a Hulk!
T'Challa: No. I have a Hulk.
Tony: -_-
T'Challa: ^_^

Blader

The thing that's fishy about the Thor 2 rumors is that it's already confirmed the guy who played Fandral would be replaced. SO it's not "everyone will be back". Could care less about Darcy though. As long as they get the same gal who plays Sif.

That might have been my mistake :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Liking the idea of introducing other characters in major roles in other established films, but most of that spoiler text sounds like baloney.

Asbel

Oh that sound good.

In fact, if Marvel wants to intro Heroes for Hire, that Hulk thing would be a great way to do it. Have Ross pay Luke and Danny to help.

Then we can have this scene:

Tony: It's cool guys. We have a Hulk!
T'Challa: No. I have a Hulk.
Tony: -_-
T'Challa: ^_^

Don't recall ever seeing Panther grinning behind the mask. I think it would look scary..

Gartooth

Please please be fake bullshit on that Dr. Strange rumor. It would be a disservice to his character (and the masses who will only know of his movie origins) to play him in that role in Thor 2.

Of course I could see them doing something stupid like that, after all magic doesn't exist in the MCU, it is just super science.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Strange a an astrophysicist :|

Maybe that's just the official title they give him but he has a proper origin story. Kinda feels weird if they introduce him all establishe before doing the origin story though.

Strange a an astrophysicist :|

Maybe that's just the official title they give him but he has a proper origin story. Kinda feels weird if they introduce him all establishe before doing the origin story though.

Doubt he'll have powers of any kind yet. Making him an astrophysicist could be used to show how he ends up discovering alternate dimensions and shit like that (which wouldn't be too weird, given the way they've said Thor 2 is gonna be), with his own movie focusing on him as Sorcerer Supreme.

Please please be fake bullshit on that Dr. Strange rumor. It would be a disservice to his character (and the masses who will only know of his movie origins) to play him in that role in Thor 2.

Of course I could see them doing something stupid like that, after all magic doesn't exist in the MCU, it is just super science.

They just haven't run into real magic yet.

Tobor

Liking the idea of introducing other characters in major roles in other established films, but most of that spoiler text sounds like baloney.

Same, I think that's the way to do it. Test them out, and if they hit with the public, make solo movies later.

Best part of that rumor leak is Whedon and Goddard writing a Goddard directed Hulk movie. That's just perfect, IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty much.
Not really sure why everyone acts like "no magic" is set in stone.
I don't think there's any doubt Strange won't have real magic (would be disservice on a level Marvel would not do themselves) it's just the background as a starting point is kind of off-putting.

Magic already does exist in the MCU.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The end credits scene at the end of The Avengers was both a teaser for ‘Avengers 2′ AND ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Makes sense to have a Guardians film if they're gonna include Thanos in Avengers 2.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios

So, forgive me on this, but I know next to nothing about Ant Man. Have there been takes on the character/story that were comedic in nature? His powers definitely seem like they'd lend themselves to some quirky Edgar Wrightness..

He's just such a specific choice for a director. I hope Marvel chose him because they intend for this to feel like an Edgar Wright movie! (which would be awesome)

johnsmith

remember me
So, forgive me on this, but I know next to nothing about Ant Man. Have there been takes on the character/story that were comedic in nature? His powers definitely seem like they'd lend themselves to some quirky Edgar Wrightness..

He's just such a specific choice for a director. I hope Marvel chose him because they intend for this to feel like an Edgar Wright movie! (which would be awesome)

I've never read any of Hank Pym or Scott Lang Ant-Man stories, but the latest Ant-Man, Eric O'Grady is definitely written as a comedic character. He's basically a sleaze ball who stole the suit off his friend's corpse and uses it to spy on Ms. Marvel in the shower, robs super villains, and stages ant races. He'd be the perfect fit for Edgar Wright, but it's unlikely they'll use him as using the original Ant-Man would make more sense.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
He's basically a sleaze ball who stole the suit off his friend's corpse and uses it to spy on Ms. Marvel in the shower, robs super villains, and stages ant races.

Wow, not what I expected.

I demand ant races in the movie! ANT RACES

Salsa

-entire cast of the first movie will return except for Kat Dennings

Thank god if true. Most useless character ever, she did nothing worth of being in the movie.

She didnt even had cleavage.

Top Bottom