• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Vibranium. Adamantium is the result of trying to synthesize Vibranium.

not true. Adamantium is stronger, but a very rare type of vibranium has "anti-metallic" properties that can destabilize/destroy adamantium.

Adamantium is also the result of trying to synthesize Cap's shield, which is an alloy of Vibranium, Steel, and a mystery substance no one has managed to replicate yet. True Adamantium (there's a weaker "secondary" version that crops up now and then) is also extremely rare and hard to manufacture, which is why Iron Man doesn't simply "make a suit" out of it.

There's a crap ton more Vibranium in the world, but Wakanda (where panther is from) has almost all of it.

Someone mentioned in the Avengers: EMH thread how the new Avengers cartoon is gonna have the same team from the movie, with designs much closer to the movie incarnations, and has Falcon on it, making him appearing in a future movie (CA2?) a possibility.

I certainly hope this isn't the case. Falcon stands firmly along many other characters I wish Marvel would just forget about and he's literally in the Avengers exclusively for affirmative action. If he gets to be in the Avengers before War Machine appearing before him in the MCU, or Black Panther, well, that's disappointing.

Even if they're feeling it necessary to go down the "insert black person to look PC" route, Black Panther is such a superior choice it's hilarious. And on top of that the new cartoon will probably have Nick Fury appearing more often.

On a similar note, Wasp should be the go-to "we need a woman" pick, not Black Widow. She's the OG ffs.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Janet was Giant Woman for a little while. That would at least be somewhat less silly than Wasp.

I never understood the Wasp. Liked Janet just fine, but what a stupid ass power set her and Ant-Man have.

Wasp has a power to explain, Widow doesn't. That's why they went for Widow in the first one.

Yup. I'm okay with the way they introduced Hawkeye and Black Widow. They don't need origins. They work as just SHIELD agents.

Now, Wasp? She needs Ant-Man. And better that way. While I loathe Hank Pym, with him comes Wasp, Vision, and most importantly Ultron. I can wait to have Ant-Man and Wasp appear in this second group of movies if that means we have a shot of Ultron. Avengers: EMH reminded me why I want Ultron so badly, hyped me for Wasp and Vision (if he ever ends up happening), and reminds me why I want Hank Pym to stay as Ant/Giant Man and get the hell out of Yellowjacket.

Oh, it's perfectly excusable for the films, I'm more referring to things like the cartoons.
But she is in Avengers: EMH. In this new one they're clearly attempting to make it just like the movies, which is why Black Widow and Hawkeye are there instead of Wasp and Ant-Man.

But she is in Avengers: EMH. In this new one they're clearly attempting to make it just like the movies, which is why Black Widow and Hawkeye are there instead of Wasp and Ant-Man.

I know they're aping the movies with the new one. The problem is that I liked EMH for having a more classic take on the Avengers to compliment the films, and now that's going down the toilet for essentially two versions of the same thing. Having the exact same line-up of characters (beyond the obviously necessary Thor/Hulk/IM/Cap) is lame... especially when the one differentiator is fucking Falcon.

I know they're aping the movies with the new one. The problem is that I liked EMH for having a more classic take on the Avengers to compliment the films, and now that's going down the toilet for essentially two versions of the same thing. Having the exact same line-up of characters (beyond the obviously necessary Thor/Hulk/IM/Cap) is lame... especially when the one differentiator is fucking Falcon.

Oh I completely agree. I really like EMH, and part of it was the cast. I really don't understand why Falcon was chosen, when both Black Panther and War Machine are far better characters, one of which is in EMH and the other one in MCU. Just saying, I hope Falcon is an Avenger only in the new cartoon. It just seems unfair he becomes one in the MCU before either of them.

Luckily I think Feige will probably take one look at Falcon and go "No. No way. Nuh uh." Flying characters are a bitch enough as is in live-action, one with sodding wings hasn't got a chance in hell of making it onto the big screen.

Black Panther, meanwhile, is a perfect fit for film.

My worry with Wasp is whether her power would wind up looking really silly in live-action.

I just can't imagine seeing a tiny woman flying around and being able to take it remotely seriously.

I was scared he was stuck as the awkward slapstick nerd forever.

He just needs to give us the smolder.

tumblr_leqfyzZbyh1qddjlxo1_500.jpg

My worry with Wasp is whether her power would wind up looking really silly in live-action.

I just can't imagine seeing a tiny woman flying around and being able to take it remotely seriously.
You never know. Wright is an incredibly talented director and I'm sure Marvel is gonna push for her. They've already said they want another girl in the team by Avengers 2 and unless they go the Black Widow route to introduce Mockingbird Wasp is the only strong candidate.

Granted, they're going to need to be really imaginative. Ant-Man and Wasp are far sillier than every other Avenger introduced so far, but I'll keep my hopes up.

BP is coming according to LR, who has been pretty damn reliable in the past.

Pretty sure they rectified that.

Make it where Wasp can fly and shoot the bolts without shrinking. And allow her to shrink as well. Ant Man, have him do both and have him do this pseudo science that Tony at first mocks then mouth drops as Hank does the impossible.

What he is known for, mr Scientist Supreme.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
They don't need to recast, just say Levi is a new character. Seriously, it's cool, it will confuse people less that way.

Wasp sounds ridiculous for a movie. Ms Marvel could work. Its probably easier to get away with a CG Iron Man suit than an actual human. But the Hulk was pretty damn awesome so I think Xia and the ILM guys are up to the task.

Slayven

I want Photon/Pulsar. Ironman and Banner could be broing it up in the lab, gamma and ARC energies lash out at an intern. There you have it.

johnsmith

remember me
Just finished reading The Irredeemable Ant-Man and I really hope they use Eric O'Grady for the movie. Edgar Wright is a comedic director, so I think it could really work if they keep pushing the comedy, especially since it worked so well in The Avengers. A character with ridiculous powers like Ant-Man really can't be played straight.

Just finished reading The Irredeemable Ant-Man and I really hope they use Eric O'Grady for the movie. Edgar Wright is a comedic director, so I think it could really work if they keep pushing the comedy, especially since it worked so well in The Avengers. A character with ridiculous powers like Ant-Man really can't be played straight.

They're using Hank Pym.

Mafro

I though Edgar Wright was going have Hank Pym in the 60s and Scott Lang as present day Ant Man?

I hope that's changed, as it sounds shit. Hank Pym should be the main focus of an Ant Man film.

I'm not really into that plan either. I want Pym to be more involved in the MCU, not stuck off in the past.

I hope that Ant-Man script has changed. I wanna see O'Grady too.

The script has been rewritten a couple of times, who knows what it's about now.

I imagine Marvel would want Hanky Pym to join as he is the original. And also him joining means so will Wasp

TDLink

AFAIK the most recent script synopsis we knew about publicly was in fact the one with Pym in the 60s and Lang in the present day. That was like a year ago though and the film hasn't gone into pre-production yet. So really, we don't know.

Trigger

AFAIK the most recent script synopsis we knew about publicly was in fact the one with Pym in the 60s and Lang in the present day. That was like a year ago though and the film hasn't gone into pre-production yet. So really, we don't know.

I hope they change that honestly. I'd rather they save Lang for future movies and give Pym some time to shine.

Wouldn't Spider-Man lose a lot of novelty if they add him in decades from now? You'd have all these massively insane events and whatnot take place in the MCU over that time period; some random kid popping up in NYC donning a Spider costume and going around shooting webs wouldn't really seem that big of a deal.

Also, X-Men & mutants can never be possible in the MCU unless they drastically change the origins.

Nah, if Fox does sell them, just have Nick Fury do a quick recall of mutants where Tony interrupts him and Cap mentions he knew a mutant during WWII(Logan)

Hex

Banned
Wouldn't Spider-Man lose a lot of novelty if they add him in decades from now? You'd have all these massively insane events and whatnot take place in the MCU over that time period; some random kid popping up in NYC donning a Spider costume and going around shooting webs wouldn't really seem that big of a deal.

Also, X-Men & mutants can never be possible in the MCU unless they drastically change the origins.

They can very easily exist, mutants used to be a big secret, there is nothing that says that they are not already there.
They just can not use the term, nothing prevents people born with powers in the meantime

Someone mentioned in the Avengers: EMH thread how the new Avengers cartoon is gonna have the same team from the movie, with designs much closer to the movie incarnations, and has Falcon on it, making him appearing in a future movie (CA2?) a possibility.

I certainly hope this isn't the case. Falcon stands firmly along many other characters I wish Marvel would just forget about and he's literally in the Avengers exclusively for affirmative action. If he gets to be in the Avengers before War Machine appearing before him in the MCU, or Black Panther, well, that's disappointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTQiALFZko&feature=player_detailpage#t=135s

But yeah I agree, I haven't been keeping up with comics, but Falcon? When did Marvel decide he needed attention? That's probably the one thing that really sours my anticipation for the new series.

I thought I remember hearing the reason they were so slow on doing Ant-man was that they felt the special effects needed couldn't do him justice. Things could have changed since then, and it boils down to the director.

Trigger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTQiALFZko&feature=player_detailpage#t=135s

But yeah I agree, I haven't been keeping up with comics, but Falcon? When did Marvel decide he needed attention? That's probably the one thing that really sours my anticipation for the new series.

Falcon could give Chris Evans another character to bounce off of. The first movie was so dull. He might not be a very significant character in the comics, but the movies could be a completely different deal.

But Hawkeye could be the guy for Cap to bounce off. I'd prefer that, to be honest.

Well, in theory. Renner probably needs to develop more personality first.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The comic-book revelation of the week: the Stark Tower and the Oscorp Tower almost shared a Manhattan skyline in Marvel's "The Avengers" earlier this summer. What does that mean for those not fluent in poindexter-ese? It means the events from Columbia's upcoming "The Amazing Spider-Man" almost crossed over into the same New York universe where "The Avengers" took place. 
How's that? Film website Latino Review sat down with "The Amazing Spider-Man" producers Avi Arad and Matthew Tolmach this past weekend to discuss the upcoming Spidey reboot as directed by Marc Webb ("(500) Days of Summer"), and during their conversation the duo revealed that Marvel Studios and Sony/Columbia had some early discussions of uniting the Marvel Manhattan skyline in one universe. How so? By including the Oscorp Tower (Harry Osborn being the CEO of Oscorp, who eventually turns into the Green Goblin villain from the 'Spider-Man' films) in "The Avengers" in the same Manhattan skyline that already included Stark Tower (Tony Stark, aka "Iron Man").

So what happened? Apparently by the time the Oscorp building was fully designed for "The Amazing Spider-Man" (by legendary production designer J. Michael Riva, who passed away this weekend), the digital skyline in "The Avengers" had already been rendered. In short, it was too late. And while it seems like this is news that only man-children who speak Klingon or own comic-book underoos would care about, it is interesting for the very fact that it's something Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures had agreed on.

One must remember, Marvel's characters and properties are scattered over several different movie studios. 20th Century Fox owns all mutant characters (which means all "X-Men" films and that entire world), Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Daredevil, and Deadpool. Sony/Columbia owns Spider-Man, Venom, and Ghost Rider and Marvel Studios essentially has the rest of all the major characters including the entire Avengers team, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Power Pack, etc.

Now sharing the characters is almost a business impossibility. For example: Sony/Columbia owns the rights to the Spider-Man universe, spent gazillions of dollars for those rights and will never sell them over to Marvel even though with Marvel's successful run of comic book films, many fans would love them own everything and cross over and cross-pollinate their characters in any way they see fit. Because of the way rights work, this will likely never happen. It doesn't really behoove one studio to "lend" a character to another studio unless they're getting a significant chunk of the profits and even then a business deal like that, again, would likely be a contract impossibility/headache.

So, don't ever expect a Spider-Man and Avengers team-up film any time soon (or something like "Secret Wars," a classic storyline that included much of the A-list of the Marvel universe), but the fact that the studios are talking amongst themselves to possibly create these small unifying moments in their films is a promising little gesture. Maybe one day?
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...0120613?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Trigger

If the X-men were to ever fall into Marvel's hands again then I'd rather they just reboot the franchise and use SHIELD as an excuse for why mutants weren't important in earlier films.

Ponn

Banned
Levi would make an awesome O'Grady Ant Man.

I think Wasp would be the next more logical female team member to introduce. Though if they really are going to go with
Thanos
as the main villain in the next movie it would be kind of cool for them to go outside the box a bit and go with Mantis or Gamora. I will be the first to admit that may be asking a bit too much for a non-comic book reading audience to take in. I honestly still don't know how well they will do
Thanos
without
adam warlock

Top Bottom