• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Maybe but I think it is the same concept. Thor and Captain America were both very successful for Marvel without IM actually doing much to hype them up on its own. MCU movies have all done well so far no matter what. I don't think GotG will be an exception. They will market it well.

After everyone and their mother went to see The Avengers it should be easy to get people to watch any Marvel universe movie.

A friend told me that there were initial talks with Sony to include the Oscorp building in the New York skyline of Avengers, but CGI for both movies was already too far along. Is this confirmed at all or is it just a rumour? I think it'd be cool for the companies to work together, but I doubt Marvel would let it happen since Spider-man isn't totally in line with what they're doing and they'd have no control over it. Why wouldn't Iron Man help stop the Lizard, for example?

A friend told me that there were initial talks with Sony to include the Oscorp building in the New York skyline of Avengers, but CGI for both movies was already too far along. Is this confirmed at all or is it just a rumour? I think it'd be cool for the companies to work together, but I doubt Marvel would let it happen since Spider-man isn't totally in line with what they're doing and they'd have no control over it. Why wouldn't Iron Man help stop the Lizard, for example?

Confirmed, discuss in the Avengers thread and this one way back when.

yes, it was confirmed in a few places.

As for the second part of your question, Iron Man wouldn't help stop the lizard for the exact same reason that he doesn't in the regular marvel universe. Occasionally someone stops by to lend a hand, or cross over for a few issues but everyone has their own lives and rogues galleries to worry about. This actually came up in "The incredible Hulk" when iron man was unwilling/unable to tackle the hulk for the US government, but did consult/give advice.

On the business end of things, having Sony or Fox handle Spider Man, the Xmen, and the Fantastic Four allows Marvel Studios and Disney to concentrate on and promote lesser known titles using their own funds and resources. I'm sure Marvel would most certainly love to have those properties back, but if they did I doubt we wouldnt be seeing properties like Guardians of the Galaxy or Heroes for Hire put into production. Hell, we may never have gotten Avengers, or the standalone Thor and Cap movies.

Slayven

yes, it was confirmed in a few places.

As for the second part of your question, Iron Man wouldn't help stop the lizard for the exact same reason that he doesn't in the regular marvel universe. Occasionally someone stops by to lend a hand, or cross over for a few issues but everyone has their own lives and rogues galleries to worry about. This actually came up in "The incredible Hulk" when iron man was unwilling/unable to tackle the hulk for the US government, but did consult/give advice.

On the business end of things, having Sony or Fox handle Spider Man, the Xmen, and the Fantastic Four allows Marvel Studios and Disney to concentrate on and promote lesser known titles using their own funds and resources. I'm sure Marvel would most certainly love to have those properties back, but if they did I doubt we wouldnt be seeing properties like Guardians of the Galaxy or Heroes for Hire put into production. Hell, we may never have gotten Avengers, or the standalone Thor and Cap movies.

Marvel that has to put some effort in is the best Marvel.

Oh wow, that's super cool. I've been having to tell everyone I know repeatedly that the new Spider-man won't be part of the same universe, but now it looks like it has a chance of happening.

I do hope that Spidey only makes brief cameos in other movies at best though since he's much better as a street level hero than an Avenger.

Just to confirm, for the time being ASM is officially NOT part of the MCU, but could possibly be in the future?

Oh wow, that's super cool. I've been having to tell everyone I know repeatedly that the new Spider-man won't be part of the same universe, but now it looks like it has a chance of happening.

I do hope that Spidey only makes brief cameos in other movies at best though since he's much better as a street level hero than an Avenger.

Just to confirm, for the time being ASM is officially NOT part of the MCU, but could possibly be in the future?

Both Garfield and the ASM producers have said they would want Spidey to be part of the Avengers universe, so he could be in the future, yeah.

HIGHLY unlikely though, and for our sanity is better to think it'll never happen.

Mariolee

But like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread (or somewhere on NeoGAF, I forget), ASM taking place in the same universe won't make sense unless they switch around the times and whatnot. The reason being is that Spidey isn't an extraordinary hero when compared to the likes of Thor and Iron-Man, so the all of hullabaloo surrounding his surfacing in New York shouldn't seem like that much of a big deal, especially considering that New York had just witnessed an alien invasion. You could say that Spidey got his powers before any superheroes started showing up (since I can't recall any specific time stamps in The Amazing Spider-Man). Which brings up another point, if Spidey is in the same universe with his powers, then why didn't he help stop the invasion? Tricky stuff my friend.

Slayven

But like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread (or somewhere on NeoGAF, I forget), ASM taking place in the same universe won't make sense unless they switch around the times and whatnot. The reason being is that Spidey isn't an extraordinary hero when compared to the likes of Thor and Iron-Man, so the all of hullabaloo surrounding his surfacing in New York shouldn't seem like that much of a big deal, especially considering that New York had just witnessed an alien invasion. You could say that Spidey got his powers before any superheroes started showing up (since I can't recall any specific time stamps in The Amazing Spider-Man). Which brings up another point, if Spidey is in the same universe with his powers, then why didn't he help stop the invasion? Tricky stuff my friend.

If they want to go that route they will do what they do in comics. Show him doing crowd control and saving people in Queens, Manhattan, or whatever. He is not Superman.

mjc

Yeah Spidey would be used for street level stuff, and would probably be considered to be a step above Black Widow and Hawkeye in terms of usefulness.

Mariolee

What I'm saying is that the New York invasion already happened, so when people just witnessed a freaking space invasion that was fought by a giant green guy, a god, and a robot along with a super soldier, why is a guy with spider powers such a big deal assuming the Amazing Spider-Man took place after The Avengers.
And if it took place before the Avengers, why didn't Spidey help with the New York invasion since he's already...well...Spidey?

What I'm saying is that the New York invasion already happened, so when people just witnessed a freaking space invasion that was fought by a giant green guy, a god, and a robot along with a super soldier, why is a guy with spider powers such a big deal assuming the Amazing Spider-Man took place after The Avengers.
And if it took place before the Avengers, why didn't Spidey help with the New York invasion since he's already...well...Spidey?
He was primping his hair. Takes time, yo.

New details on the MCU Phase One Box Set:

http://marvel.com/news/story/19054/marvel_cinematic_universe_box_set_art_revealed

The art for each disc is gorgeous. I wonder what is in the file folders though.

Cool art

You know if they're gonna make a GOTG movie, it most likely gonna have Star Lord. Which look should they use
images

or
images

I was hoping that Thor 2 would setup Guardians of the Galaxy....Maybe have Star-Lord show up-there has to be a way to explain why a normal human is suddenly running around in space...

aaand they're completely ignoring what happened in
the Thanos Imperative

The new issue of Avengers Assemble is out today and probably explains it.

They're just bringing the team back now so they can launch a new series in the fall and gear up for the movie.

They're just bringing the team back now so they can launch a new series in the fall and gear up for the movie.

No, it explains absolutely nothing, and there isn't the slightest hint that any explanation will be offered in future issues.

TDLink

tumblr_m5n0zok3mz1r35iq2o1_r1_500.jpg

They're back.

I am aware of this and was trying to ignore its existence as it makes no sense given where the series last left off. It will be a travesty if the film version is based off whatever this new stuff is instead of the fantastic Abnett and Lanning iterations.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

No that's why I bring it up. There are zero references to the previous arc. Then there's a lovely bit where Rocket Raccoon protests being called a raccoon...

TDLink

No that's why I bring it up. There are zero references to the previous arc. Then there's a lovely bit where Rocket Raccoon protests being called a raccoon...

WHAT?! Why are they actively making cosmic marvel worse. First crap Nova's "Epic fail" and now this. Did the new writers even read the previous stories with these characters or do they just not care? I sincerely hope that the film version will be based on the Abnett and Lanning versions. It will just be unfair if they aren't. This sucks :/

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
fwZaa.png

Rocket Raccoon. Not a raccoon.

Even if he might not be one biologically, it's still dumb.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't really count as part of the "Cinematic Universe", but it's Whedon and it's Marvel, so :p

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/171647-joss-whedons-astonishing-x-men-is-getting-animated

Like Joss Whedon? Of course you do! Well, you will be glad to hear that his entire run on The Astonishing X-Men with John Cassaday is getting animated by Marvel Knights Animation and Shout! Factory.

On November 13, 2012 you'll be able to ge tthe 2-Disc Blu-ray featuring all four story arcs from the award winning title. The run time on the animated comic will be over five hours and the Blu-ray will include new cover art by Cassaday. No word yet on special features but expect them to be announced in the coming months.

Here's the line-up of titles included:

ASTONISHING X-MEN: GIFTED

Can the X-Men protect the world’s mutants against a powerful new alien menace and the “cure” that threatens to rid them of their unique abilities forever? This DVD features the first story arc of the ASTONISHING X-MEN 3-part series. Extensive bonus content includes: a conversation with Joe Quesada and Neal Adams, ASTONISHING X-MEN “Rise Up” music video, ASTONISHING X-MEN – GIFTED trailer, visual history of the characters, behind-the-scenes, Marvel Super Heroes™: What The — ?, artists gallery – John Cassaday, and additional trailers.

ASTONISHING X-MEN: DANGEROUS

In the second installment of the Astonishing X-Men arc, the tragic death of a student at the Xavier Institute reveals that a powerful enemy is working from inside the mansion to destroy the X-Men. It’s an enemy who knows all their weaknesses and can predict their every move. This new foe doesn’t want wealth, power or world domination – it only wants them dead. As the X-Men fight for their lives, they learn they’ve been deceived by one of their own. Even if they survive, the team will never be the same.

ASTONISHING X-MEN: TORN

This third installment of the Astonishing X-Men story arc brings more action and adventure as Emma Frost’s erratic behavior has the X-Men spinning in a nonstop downward spiral. Will an unlikely union be the final straw? After secretly lying in wait for months, the new Hellfire Club makes its move!

ASTONISHING X-MEN: UNSTOPPABLE

Strap yourselves in, folks! The final arc on Astonishing X-Men! After the shocking and brain-smashing events of recent issues, the X-Men are off to protect the Earth from its destruction at the hands of the Breakworld. And when it's all over, nothing will ever be the same! No, really, we mean it! Whedon and Cassaday prove they are more than Astonishing: They are unstoppable!

I always imagined that Spider-Man wasn't in New York at the time of the Avengers, and returned to find it in ruins. "What the fuck happened to my city?!? I can't leave for five minutes without some shit making a mess!"

But yeah, the Spider-Man movies should remain separate from the Marvel Universe, which does nothing but devalue the individual properties.

Top Bottom