• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Iron Man 3 exhibit at SDCC:

iron-man-3-sdcc-e1342038630200.jpg

Where is his armor from iron man 2?

Left to right:

Mk. I - the original he made in Iron Man
Mk. II - the prototype of the modern suit, from Iron Man
Mk. III - finished modern suit, from Iron Man

Mk. IV - modified version of the Mk. III, used during most of Iron Man 2
Mk. V - suitcase suit, used in Iron Man 2
Mk. VI - first suit with the new arc reactor/triangle chest piece, from the end of Iron Man 2

The Mk. VI was modified somewhat and upgraded upon between Iron Man 2 and Avengers, but still retains most of the same functionality.

Mk. VII - the unfinished version of Stark's next big upgrade, used in Avengers.

johnsmith

remember me
The marvel 1 shots have been disappointing. What happened to introducing new characters in them? If they don't use them to introduce Ant-Man or the Guardians of the Galaxy before Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, or Thor 2, then they are completely stupid.

The marvel 1 shots have been disappointing. What happened to introducing new characters in them? If they don't use them to introduce Ant-Man or the Guardians of the Galaxy before Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, or Thor 2, then they are completely stupid.

The press release for Item 47 says that that's still the plan, but they have to make the one-shots successful on their own first so that they can get bigger budgets and be more in depth. Item 47 is meant to be a stepping stone towards that.

Also doing Ant-Man and GotG would be kind of counter-productive because those characters are likely already getting their own movies. Characters like Iron Fist, Doc Strange, maybe Spider-Woman and Moonknight or whoever, all have interesting origins that stand on their own and would benefit from not having to have a standard movie length plot (a problem that plagued Captain America imo). They should be the ones getting introduced in 30 minute short films. Nova and Black Panther would work well like this too because their origins are pretty simple but they're important to the Marvel U as a whole.

TDLink

New sort-of news. FOX needs to put a Daredevil reboot into production by the end of this fall (2012) or the rights will revert back to Marvel, making all characters in the Daredevil license deal available for use in the MCU. It seems they really may not get it done as well considering they have no attached director and haven't started casting, plus the script could require rewrites. Getting something into production for the deadline at this rate is going to be tough...so here's hoping they fail at that.

The article also, unfortunately, confirms they are moving ahead with a FF reboot which seems a lot more stable and has a further out deadline for the license to revert.

Source:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/com...-on-rust-loses-david-slade-on-daredevil-redo/

Dram

Couldn't they just make a cheap movie like the '94 Fantastic Four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_%28film%29 movie to keep the rights?

The Fantastic Four is an unreleased low-budget superhero film completed in 1994. Created to secure copyright to the property, the producers never intended it for release, although the director, actors, and other participants were not informed of this fact.

In 1992, Constantin Film was about to lose its option on the film rights for Fantastic Four, unless production began by December. Without the $40 million in necessary funding for a full-budget film, producer Bernd Eichinger turned to Roger Corman for help.

Constantin Film permitted the director, actors and others involved in the film to believe that the studio intended to release it in theaters, rather than the film being a cinematic equivalent of an ashcan copy.[1][2] The cast and crew did the film for low salaries after being told that if it did not get released to theaters, it would be used as the pilot for a potential television series.

Filming lasted a month and finished in January 1993, after which post-production began. The cast gave press interviews and attended comic book conventions in good faith. The studio announced a premiere date of 1994, at the Mall of America in Minnesota. In late 1993, the studio announced that the film would not be released because of the budget.

Over a decade later, Constantin Film made a $100 million Fantastic Four film and its sequel, the $130 million Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Anth0ny

New sort-of news. FOX needs to put a Daredevil reboot into production by the end of this fall (2012) or the rights will revert back to Marvel, making all characters in the Daredevil license deal available for use in the MCU. It seems they really may not get it done as well considering they have no attached director and haven't started casting, plus the script could require rewrites. Getting something into production for the deadline at this rate is going to be tough...so here's hoping they fail at that.

The article also, unfortunately, confirms they are moving ahead with a FF reboot which seems a lot more stable and has a further out deadline for the license to revert.

Source:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/com...-on-rust-loses-david-slade-on-daredevil-redo/

fuuuuuuuuuck I want Doom in MCU!

Rise of the Silver Surfer didn't do particularly well at the box office for a comic book movie. Just let the property revert back to Marvel kthx

New sort-of news. FOX needs to put a Daredevil reboot into production by the end of this fall (2012) or the rights will revert back to Marvel, making all characters in the Daredevil license deal available for use in the MCU.
]

Good news everyone!

There will be a direct-to-DVD-Netflix sequel to Dare Devil.

Just kidding.

Source:

So I guess this means Josh Hartnett won't be the new DD if Slade if out?

Praise the Heavens, would have been a even bigger clusterfuck than Affleck's movie.

noah111

Still Alive

Source:

I hope FOX gets it into production. Daredevil has little to no place in the MCU and i'm not sure how they'd ever find time to make a movie about him as it wouldn't tie into Avengers at all, which makes it less likely to be a priority for MS straight off the bat.

I hope FOX gets it into production. Daredevil has little to no place in the MCU and i'm not sure how they'd ever find time to make a movie about him as it wouldn't tie into Avengers at all, which makes it less likely to be a priority for MS straight off the bat.

It's a shame that Fox and Disney can't work out some kind of deal to have FF part of the MCU, mainly because Reed Richards touches so much of the overall Marvel universe.

Ithil

Source:

I don't even know why Fox wanted to hang on to DD so much, it's never going to be a blockbuster franchise. FF at least has blockbuster makings.

Unfortunately its the FF and Doom that would fit into the MCU, not Daredevil. That said I hope the rights revert, simply because Fox is generally god awful at using Marvel properties.

The stronger mix of red and gold reminds me of the bleeding edge armor. I'm guessing because extremis inspired the movie Iron Man suits, maybe the bleeding edge design is the inspiration for the new suit. Without all the goofy stuff associated with bleeding edge, of course.

Christopher

Will that Avenegers box set have Digital Copies as well...? I need Digital copies and thank god I never purchaed any of those films outside of the original Iron Man.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The stronger mix of red and gold reminds me of the bleeding edge armor. I'm guessing because extremis inspired the movie Iron Man suits, maybe the bleeding edge design is the inspiration for the new suit. Without all the goofy stuff associated with bleeding edge, of course.

I'm only starting to read up on the Iron Man comics just now, but one thing that strikes me is that elements in the movies are often based on a mix of various elements in the comics, the most obvious of which Mickey Rourke's character, which seems to be a conjunction of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just pick-n-mix the best elements of the comic-books that have appeared over the past decades.
it would be awesome if they somehow snuck the original terrible Iron Man costume in there

Nesotenso

new video from a local NC NBC affiliate showing stunt prep work for IM3

http://www.wect.com/global/Category.asp?C=195960&clipId=7500566&autostart=true

scene apparently involves people jumping out of planes

The Fox Daredevil news pleases me and I hope the rights revert. I guess Fox execs overlooked it and don't want to repeat the mistake with FF. Hence tying Josh Trank with it and now hiring a screen writer. If DD reverts it means 4 properties are in other studios hands.

Gartooth

Source:

Good on Daredevil rights being likely to return, but the FF not being as fortunate is the bigger burn. (I want Doom in the MCU dammit!)

By the way, does anyone know what the deadline would be on FF? (in other words when Fox has to have a movie out by)

ericexpo

feel like Daredevil being separated from the marvel isn't really a big deal to me. He seems to small time to be part of the Avengers team
Much rather for the Fantastic four to be connected to the Marvel U

Ithil

Stan Lee's TAS and Fantastic Four 2 cameos are probably the funniest, the latter on account of it being right out of the comics (unlike, you know, most of the rest of that movie).

Posted already?

"Mads Mikkelsen Not Thor 2's Villain After All"

SHH! said:
Around the end of November we head rumblings that Mads Mikkelsen would be playing the 'big bad' in Thor 2. Unfortunately those plans fell through, as he tells Zoomin Movies below (via The Playlist).

The actor was cast not long after these rumors as Hannibal Lecter in NBC's new "Hannibal" television series and it turns out those commitments will prevent him from starring in the film. With the Marvel Studios sequel starting filming in August, expect a replacement announcement to come within the next few months.

Thor 2 reunites Chris Hemsworth with Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, and Natalie Portman as the love interest Jane Foster. Alan Taylor ("Game of Thrones") is stepping behind the camera for its November 15, 2013 release date.

Source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny2GUeHLuxo

I'm only starting to read up on the Iron Man comics just now, but one thing that strikes me is that elements in the movies are often based on a mix of various elements in the comics, the most obvious of which Mickey Rourke's character, which seems to be a conjunction of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just pick-n-mix the best elements of the comic-books that have appeared over the past decades.
it would be awesome if they somehow snuck the original terrible Iron Man costume in there

Ya know the OG Afghanistan suit was pretty much a direct adaptation of the original suit.

Mariolee

Looks significantly less red (and thus less beautiful) than the previous costumes, but we'll see how it looks in action in the film.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its like they tried to take a similar color palette of the current comic suit and apply it to the more traditional design.

It...doesn't work

Top Bottom