• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

noah111

Still Alive
I never thought of this before but....

custom_1293849134009_nathan-fillion-ant-man-the-avengers-cast.jpg

YES PLEASE.

I can only think of 5 (well 6) characters that could 'join' the Avengers (adding a different personality and weight to the cast) and work on separate movies:

Spiderman (not Marvel...)
Wolverine (not Marvel...)
Yellowjacket and Wasp (in pre production)
Namor
Vision

If Yellowjacket gets greenlit and Wright owns it, I'd say between it and Ironman 3, Vision would be a given too.

Now, for the actors for each character...

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I can only think of 5 (well 6) characters that could 'join' the Avengers (adding a different personality and weight to the cast) and work on separate movies:

Namor
Vision

If Yellowjacket gets greenlit and Wright owns it, I'd say between it and Ironman 3, Vision would be a given too.

Namor isn't tied up with either the X-men or Fantastic Four properties?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

Namor
Vision

Spider-Man and Wolverine, no. Let them steal the spotlight in their own movies.

The other three, yes. But I still stand by the fact that there needs to be a stronger female presence in Avengers 2. Hill and Widow aren't enough.

Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Firestar, Valkyrie, Scarlet Witch (Quicksilver would have to be included), and Spider-Woman are the main options.

If Vision comes, then I guess Wonder Man would have to be introduced, too.

I want to see Namor, Ant-Man, Wasp, Wonder Man, and Vision in an Avengers flick in the next decade.

Potential Actors for A2:
If Wasp was in this, would she be Asian like her Ultimate Universe incarnate? If so, who would she be played by?

Wasp if she's white: Aleksa Palladino

Sharon Carter: January Jones

& Pym should be played by Shea Whigham

BP should be Damion Poitier or Idris Elba

Falcon should be played by Terrence Howard

She-hulk: Cheryl Cole honestly.

Moon Knight: Michael Stuhlbarg

Yes I'm a fan of Boardwalk Empire

I feel like Doctor Strange, and everybody related to Ultron: Scarlet & Quicksilver, wonder man & vision can't exist till A3.

Sharon Carter should be played by Hayley Atwell. They need to play up her resemblance to Peggy if they introduce her.

Anyway, she'd be in Cap 2, not Avengers 2.

Sharon Carter should be played by Hayley Atwell. They need to play up her resemblance to Peggy if they introduce her.

Anyway, she'd be in Cap 2, not Avengers 2.

I think that'd be too creepy. Dating his ex's daughter is already weird, but if they look exactly alike I think it becomes way too much.

Potential Actors for A2:
If Wasp was in this, would she be Asian like her Ultimate Universe incarnate? If so, who would she be played by?

I feel like Doctor Strange, and everybody related to Ultron: Scarlet & Quicksilver, wonder man & vision can't exist till A3.
She's terrible..

Been thinking a lot about the Ant-Man movie lately. Gonna quote my idea from the Avengers thread:

I've been thinking an Ant-Man film could work as a take on Die Hard. Have Pym be a scientist developing the pym particle stuff and the ant man suit in his lab with Jan as his assistant, then the facility is taken over by terrorists, so Pym and Jan jury rig Pym's lab experiments together into gadgets and suits in order to save everyone in the building, stop the terrorists and escape.

I feel like that really shows off the strong suits of Ant-Man, being a scientist who works through problems with clever tactics and invention rather than super powers and force.

I think by the time he'd be in the Avengers he'd be a bit more "superheroish", combining elements of Yellojacket with Ant-Man. He'd have wings and some ray guns, but then also a Batman-esque array of gadgets. With Wasp however, I'm not so sure how she would work in an ensemble film and put on par with the other characters.

noah111

Still Alive
Potential Actors for A2:

I could see that. Everything else, not so much. I get the feeling that we'll only be getting one new character introduced (or two if you count Wasp) by the time Avengers 2 hits. Everyone keeps listing off super heroes, but they just wouldn't fit. You need the essentials, not the baggage. IM2 has had a reference to BP, Thor had a reference to Pym, so to me, those are the most likely at this point..

I could see that. Everything else, not so much. I get the feeling that we'll only be getting one new character introduced (or two if you count Wasp) by the time Avengers 2 hits. Everyone keeps listing off super heroes, but they just wouldn't fit. You need the essentials, not the baggage. IM2 has had a reference to BP, Thor had a reference to Pym, so to me, those are the most likely at this point..
I don't recall the IM2 reference to Black Panther..

Potential Actors for A2:

Bleh, the women cannot act.

He can play whoever he wants. Shit he can be the first black Hulk for all I care! :)

Incredibly boring actor.

All I can think of, with fucking terror and horror in my mind, is whose playing her now.

noah111

Still Alive
Been thinking a lot about the Ant-Man movie lately. Gonna quote my idea from the Avengers thread:

I think by the time he'd be in the Avengers he'd be a bit more "superheroish", combining elements of Yellojacket with Ant-Man. He'd have wings and some ray guns, but then also a Batman-esque array of gadgets. With Wasp however, I'm not so sure how she would work in an ensemble film and put on par with the other characters.
Seems like too much of an anti-climactic way to reveal his origins... they need something bigger than that, something deeper. Ant-Man is going to be an uphill battle getting the audience to like it, tbh.

There's supposed to be serious progress in the writing this summer, so we have no clue where it has gone since the old script of Pym in the 60s and then Lang as modern day ant-man. I really want it to work, and be integrated cleverly into the MCU. If not only for the fact that having a relationship as part of the avengers, that would bring forth a whole new dynamic to super-hero movies in general.

noah111

Still Alive
A winner is you.

Seriously though ... imagine some of the banter between him and RDJ. That would be incredible.

avengers.jpg

robert-downey-jr-and-nathan-fillion.jpg

I could see it so well. PLUS Whedon has a lot of history with Fillion, obviously.

I don't recall the IM2 reference to Black Panther..
Not really a reference as it was an easter egg, but when Tony is in a SHIELD room, they're showing footage of the Hulk incident at the university (from TIH) and a map with a bunch of blips on it.

Among references to locals that have to do with CA and Thor, there's also one in Africa (Wakanda iirc, where BP is located). This has been confirmed, btw.

There even seems to be a reference to Namor on the map.. but who knows.

[edit] here's the specific shot..

That fool burned his bridges with Marvel Studios, they aren't bringing him back.
I never got the story of why he was recast, just figured it was because the other guy was a better actor..

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

All of these are nos, for various reasons. Jones is in X-Men: First Class as the White Queen and is a terrible actress. That's two reasons against her.

Damion Poitier is already Thanos, unless Marvel goes a different direction with the character in the next few years.

Elba is Moreau in Ghost Rider and Heimdall in Thor/Thor 2. No chance of him being gifted a third role.

Howard has already been banished from the Marvel universe for his work as War Machine.

MechDX

http://comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/robert-downey-jr-and-nathan-fillion.jpg[/IMG]

I could see it so well. PLUS Whedon has a lot of history with Fillion, obviously.

Not really a reference as it was an easter egg, but when Tony is in a SHIELD room, they're showing footage of the Hulk incident at the university (from TIH) and a map with a bunch of blips on it.

Among references to locals that have to do with CA and Thor, there's also one in Africa (Wakanda iirc, where BP is located). This has been confirmed, btw.

There even seems to be a reference to Namor on the map.. but who knows.

[edit] here's the specific shot..

I never got the story of why he was recast, just figured it was because the other guy was a better actor..

So who is in Arizona and LA? London, Captain Britian?

And if I am looking at it right who the hell is in Greenland?

noah111

Still Alive

That's New Mexico (Thor) and Malibu (Stark). The Europe one is in reference to the WW and Cap's involvement. That blip is where parts of CA takes place..

And i'm not sure about Greenland. I don't remember, but did Banner move there at the end of TIH?

Dram

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20236884,00.html

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. (Marvel would not comment for this story.)

It's unclear whether Howard's team walked away first, or if Marvel ended the discussion at that point. Either way, the studio moved quickly to secure Cheadle and the story leaked out the next morning, Oct. 14. And alas for Howard, there will be no next time.

That's New Mexico (Thor) and Malibu (Stark). The Europe one is in reference to the WW and Cap's involvement. That blip is where parts of CA takes place..

And i'm not sure about Greenland. I don't remember, but did Banner move there at the end of TIH?

Greenland is Capsicle presumably.

noah111

Still Alive
I just remembered that in CA1 it's in Norway that Red Skull locates the tesseract, so that's the European blip on that map. Norway is also affiliated with Norse mythology, etc.

Still not sure about the greenland/iceland marker, though. Also, I stumbled upon these infographics regarding the MCU characters and timelines, found them pretty helpful and awesome;

Brahs I was trying to rent a unicycle and I over heard this guy saying that Squirrel Girl was going to be in th next Great Lakes Avengers film. I told him that wasn't right because she is a mutant and Fox owns her. What???

TDLink

Brahs I was trying to rent a unicycle and I over heard this guy saying that Squirrel Girl was going to be in th next Great Lakes Avengers film. I told him that wasn't right because she is a mutant and Fox owns her. What???

Not entirely sure I understand what this post is about. Squirrel Girl's rights are with Marvel though...as are the Great Lakes Avengers (which at this point and time does not have a film even in preliminary talks).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Really wish they could get Dr. Doom for these movies. Feel like he woulda made a great slot for A2 so Thanos could have the big finish in 3.

noah111

Still Alive
They don't need to dive right into Thanos for Avengers 2, imo. It could stretch out for two movies, with multiple 'threats'. Doom would never work in an Avengers movie, way to iconic with the F4.

But Ultron in some way, with Pym involved and then Vision in between A2 and 3? I'd love that. At this point Marvel just needs to be careful how they set up the sequel; a lot of expectations to live up to.

CLEEK

London? Man, you should spend less time on GAF and more time looking at maps.

The European marker is over Norway. I assume it's the location of the church where the Tesseract was found in Captain America.

I'm not blaming them, it's Marvel's fault for working out such a stupid contract but I certainly don't like what they're doing with the franchises. As a Spider-Man and X-Men fan I'd rather have Marvel handle them.
Slow down. If they hadn't sold those franchises' movie rights, Marvel would likely have gone bankrupt.

They were not in a position to dictate terms back then. Superhero movies were a dead species, and their company was about to join them. Yea, it's too bad they couldn't negotiate something better, but they still have about 150 other heroes, teams and hundreds of storylines to choose from. Shit, they may do so well, they can buy back the movie rights to those franchises.

But nobody is to blame. Comic industry was slow and their money fleeting.

Slow down. If they hadn't sold those franchises' movie rights, Marvel would likely have gone bankrupt.

They were not in a position to dictate terms back then. Superhero movies were a dead species, and their company was about to join them. Yea, it's too bad they couldn't negotiate something better, but they still have about 150 other heroes, teams and hundreds of storylines to choose from. Shit, they may do so well, they can buy back the movie rights to those franchises.

Where's the Hulk pic in your avatar from?

Dilly

Banned
Why didn't Norton take the role of Hulk in the Avengers?

Not that I really missed him, Ruffalo fits better.

January Jones' "performance" in First Class was nothing to write home about. She was still pretty hot though.

I just remembered that in CA1 it's in Norway that Red Skull locates the tesseract, so that's the European blip on that map. Norway is also affiliated with Norse mythology, etc.

Still not sure about the greenland/iceland marker, though. Also, I stumbled upon these infographics regarding the MCU characters and timelines, found them pretty helpful and awesome;

Isn't that where Cap crashed?

Dreams-Visions said:

Why are you telling me to slow down? :lol I know what situation they were in but I have a hard time believing that they could snuck a clause in that would allow them to get the rights back. But you're right, it probably was either this situation or no Marvel at all. I guess I'm just kinda frustrated that we'll never see Spidey or any X-Men (except SW and QS) in an Avengers movie.

Okay, I loved the Avengers, but no matter how much I try, my brain can't accept that the Helicarrier is even remotely possible, even if the US government, literally, spent a trillion dollars on the entire project, and brought the greatest scientists and engineers on board just to build and design it. Everytime I see, I keep saying "Yeah, that's fucking bullshit." A hundred thousand ton supercarrier that lifts itself from the water with four turbines?

Why didn't Norton take the role of Hulk in the Avengers?

Not that I really missed him, Ruffalo fits better.

Read somewhere he wanted more money and also an executive producer credit so he could exert a little control over his character. Marvel pretty much said "F that".

noah111

Still Alive
Isn't that where Cap crashed?
Damn, for some reason I totally had it in my mind that he crashed in antarctica instead of the arctic. So that explains all the points, except for the one in the atlantic, which i'm sure relates to the atlantians/namor..

Okay, I loved the Avengers, but no matter how much I try, my brain can't accept that the Helicarrier is even remotely possible, even if the US government, literally, spent a trillion dollars on the entire project, and brought the greatest scientists and engineers on board just to build and design it. Everytime I see, I keep saying "Yeah, that's fucking bullshit." A hundred thousand ton supercarrier that lifts itself from the water with four turbines?
Seriously? Watching that thing come to life after seeing so many iterations of it in the comics, was awesome. I totally bought it, and believed it was real.

Top Bottom