• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So erm, I watched the first episode of AoS Season 2.... wow. What happened to this show? Did they fire everyone who worked on season 1 to replace them with capable doppelgangers? I don't understand...

You plan on catching up on AoS before Agent Carter now? cause honestly, it's consistently as good if not better as you go.

I have a little feeling that the 2 are more connected than we think. There have been AC flashbacks and references at least half the episodes so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately, Agent Carter was to Agents of SHIELD as "The Island" was to the 1st 2 seasons of Arrow.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I do believe at least 1 or 2 episodes will air after Age of Ultron so maybe we will get another shake up in the show

You plan on catching up on AoS before Agent Carter now? cause honestly, it's consistently as good if not better as you go.

I have a little feeling that the 2 are more connected than we think. There have been AC flashbacks and references at least half the episodes so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately, Agent Carter was to Agents of SHIELD as "The Island" was to the 1st 2 seasons of Arrow.

Eh, given that they have mostly different EPs (Loeb and the largely nominal Fine/Lee/Quesada aside), different writers, and different showrunners, I would be surprised if they were that closely connected. I expect a self-contained narrative with a few Easter eggs that connect to SHIELD.

I do believe at least 1 or 2 episodes will air after Age of Ultron so maybe we will get another shake up in the show

At least three, depending on whether there are any more interruptions after the show returns in March.

So erm, I watched the first episode of AoS Season 2.... wow. What happened to this show? Did they fire everyone who worked on season 1 to replace them with capable doppelgangers? I don't understand...

Yeah it's crazy good now. It's my favourite superhero/comic based show on tellie atm.

Eh, given that they have mostly different EPs (Loeb and the largely nominal Fine/Lee/Quesada aside), different writers, and different showrunners, I would be surprised if they were that closely connected. I expect a self-contained narrative with a few Easter eggs that connect to SHIELD.

I'm just guessing that whatever events happen in Agent Carter will in some way be related to the resolution of an event that happens in Agents of Shield 2nd half.

Gartooth

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of AoS last year when season 1 premiered, and I thought it was complete shit. Around September I powered through the rest of season 1 so that I could be on track with season 2 when it started, and man the quality jump in season 2 was huge. Season 1 seems like a complete waste in retrospect, with all the best episodes shoved in post Hydra reveal and almost everything before it being filler with the occasional plot breadcrumbs.

Even the best of season 1 doesn't compare to season 2 though. This was definitely the show it should've been from the onset, and it would be too bad if the show didn't continue much longer due to season 1 killing general interest and ratings.

Neoxon

Enter Speedball, who will probably bring about the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as Civil War & the Superhuman Registration Act goes.

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of AoS last year when season 1 premiered, and I thought it was complete shit. Around September I powered through the rest of season 1 so that I could be on track with season 2 when it started, and man the quality jump in season 2 was huge. Season 1 seems like a complete waste in retrospect, with all the best episodes shoved in post Hydra reveal and almost everything before it being filler with the occasional plot breadcrumbs.

Even the best of season 1 doesn't compare to season 2 though. This was definitely the show it should've been from the onset, and it would be too bad if the show didn't continue much longer due to season 1 killing general interest and ratings.

You only get one chance to make a first impression, as they say. A lot of people who would really dig S2 won't watch it anytime soon because of all the bad word of mouth that accumulated around S1. Sucks, but can you blame them given how many options are competing for our free time these days?

Enter Speedball, who will probably bring about the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as Civil War & the Superhuman Registration Act goes.

That's, um, quite a theory to which to append a "probably."

Is it that hard to believe that the primary impetus for the SRA will just be Ultron, the events that ensue in stopping him, and Stark's responsibility for it? Occam's razor and all that.

That's, um, quite a theory to which to append a "probably."

Is it that hard to believe that the primary impetus for the SRA will just be Ultron, the events that ensue in stopping him, and Stark's responsibility for it? Occam's razor and all that.

But it was rumored months ago that we would get Mockingbird and then Speedball (who i believe has already been cast). So knowing that he was the reason for it in the comics, and knowing that AoS and Agent Carter both likely tie into AoU in some way or another, it's not really a stretch to think that Speedball being on AoS from end of S2 thru S3 leading upto and tying into CA:CW might be a partial catalyst for the event to begin with (assuming there is a Season 3.... which I think is a pretty safe bet w/ how much the MCU is generating overall. I'm sure ABC is willing to eat the TV cost as long as rating aren't absolutely in the trash).

Gartooth

You only get one chance to make a first impression, as they say. A lot of people who would really dig S2 won't watch it anytime soon because of all the bad word of mouth that accumulated around S1. Sucks, but can you blame them given how many options are competing for our free time these days?

I probably still wouldn't have caught up with the show had I not been on a MCU binge after GotG so I understand people having given up on it.

I wonder if the characters/plot will ever be followed up on in the rest of the MCU after AoS ends. I can't see AoS having anything to do with the Netflix miniseries, and as far as the movie side goes Coulson's death might as well have remained permanent since I doubt we will see that followed on.

But it was rumored months ago that we would get Mockingbird and then Speedball (who i believe has already been cast). So knowing that he was the reason for it in the comics, and knowing that AoS and Agent Carter both likely tie into AoU in some way or another, it's not really a stretch to think that Speedball being on AoS from end of S2 thru S3 leading upto and tying into CA:CW might be a partial catalyst for the event to begin with (assuming there is a Season 3.... which I think is a pretty safe bet w/ how much the MCU is generating overall. I'm sure ABC is willing to eat the TV cost as long as rating aren't absolutely in the trash).

Well, agree to disagree, I suppose.

From the rumors I've heard about Atwell's scene in AoU,
it sounds like a nightmare/hallucination as opposed to an actual flashback, so I would not assume that it ties into the Carter TV series just because she's in both.

I wonder if the characters/plot will ever be followed up on in the rest of the MCU after AoS ends. I can't see AoS having anything to do with the Netflix miniseries, and as far as the movie side goes Coulson's death might as well have remained permanent since I doubt we will see that followed on.

I could see Netflix characters popping up on AoS S3 (publicity), and I can also see Coulson being a recurring "post-credits" scene type character on the Netflix shows as well.

Well, agree to disagree, I suppose.

From the rumors I've heard about Atwell's scene in AoU,
it sounds like a nightmare/hallucination as opposed to an actual flashback, so I would not assume that it ties into the Carter TV series just because she's in both.

maybe not directly, but
#itsallconnected

duckroll

There is no way that any event in the TV-verse will be a trigger for major events in the proper MCU. Marvel Studios has way too much control and creative oversight on the films to allow the TV division to have something that big, especially since way more people watch the films than those following the series.

I'm sure AoS will react to the events in Ultron, similar to how TWS was a huge deal in the first season, but I expect the crossover from film to TV to continue to be relatively one-sided. The events of Civil War are likely to be mostly influenced by Stark. RDJ isn't going to show up on AoS. Let's not kid anyone. The AoS story will react to the events and if the show continues I expect season 3 to deal with the escalations leading up to CA3, but it'll simply be the show filling in blanks for its own perspective in the universe between Ultron/Ant-Man and CA3, it won't be "important information" for movie viewers.

That's how I see it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There is no way that any event in the TV-verse will be a trigger for major events in the proper MCU. Marvel Studios has way too much control and creative oversight on the films to allow the TV division to have something that big, especially since way more people watch the films than those following the series.

I'm sure AoS will react to the events in Ultron, similar to how TWS was a huge deal in the first season, but I expect the crossover from film to TV to continue to be relatively one-sided. The events of Civil War are likely to be mostly influenced by Stark. RDJ isn't going to show up on AoS. Let's not kid anyone. The AoS story will react to the events and if the show continues I expect season 3 to deal with the escalations leading up to CA3, but it'll simply be the show filling in blanks for its own perspective in the universe between Ultron/Ant-Man and CA3, it won't be "important information" for movie viewers.

That's how I see it.

I expect something similar. Beside small cameos, I dont see many charachters of the series appear on the big screen.

For the most part I agree. The show will not be the start of Civil War, but that's not to say they couldn't flesh it out, and escalate the situation to a point where all they have to do in the movies is reference it in a way that doesn't even require you to watch the show.

quick example,
-Stark fucks shit up on a royal and global scale with Ultron in AoS. shit is all bad, damage control mode is activated. Government interference now imminent.
-AoS picks up from there and while they are part of this damage control and clean up, Speedball somehow escalates the situation to the point where it is now national news.
-CA:CW starts off with the situation being explained by a news reporter on TV and the movie carries on from there.

Now they've referenced the situation in the show, without actually requiring you to watch, and picked up the story from where the last movie left off.

Your post in the SHIELD proper OT made me a bit teary eyed.

danielcw

Some people on the internet were unhappy with Iron-Man Three, because the trailer promised a darker movie.
I wonder if the same will happen with Age Of Ultron.
The colors in the trailer look like it is going to be the "coldest" MCU movie, and the plot is implied to be dark and full of dispair.

Some people on the internet were unhappy with Iron-Man Three, because the trailer promised a darker movie.
I wonder if the same will happen with Age Of Ultron.
The colors in the trailer look like it is going to be the "coldest" MCU movie, and the plot is implied to be dark and full of dispair.

the first trailers for these movies are usually full of darkness and peril.

the thing with Iron Man 3 was that it was a complete bait-and-switch (amazing that they pulled it off without any leaks or anything) with the villain, they kept up the illusion of the Mandarin being a serious villain until the movie actually came out. the twist would have been way less enjoyable if they revealed that in the trailers.

they gotta go big for the first debut trailer, the next one will probably be more balanced.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Benedict Cumberbatch is officially Dr. Strange

Benedict Cumberbatch has entered the world of the mystic arts.

The actor will star in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange,” scheduled to hit theaters November 4, 2016. The film, directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts writing the screenplay, will follow the story of neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions.

“Stephen Strange’s story requires an actor capable of great depth and sincerity,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “In 2016, Benedict will show audiences what makes Doctor Strange such a unique and compelling character.”

Cumberbatch rose to international prominence with his critically acclaimed turn as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous creation in “Sherlock,” currently preparing its fourth season. The series’ most recent season earned Cumberbatch the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie in 2014, after winning the BAFTA/LA Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year in 2013.

Cumberbatch most recently starred in “The Imitation Game,” playing famed mathematician and logician Alan Turing, and will soon be seen in “The Hobbit: The Army of the Five Armies” as Smaug and the Necromancer. For the role of Smaug, Cumberbatch stepped into the world of motion capture to bring the dragon to life. He will next be seen in Scott Cooper’s film “Black Mass,” the story of Whitey Bulger coming to theaters next September, where he stars opposite Johnny Depp and Joel Edgerton.

The star’s other credits include the Academy Award-winning “12 Years a Slave,” “War Horse,” “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,” “August: Osage County,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “The Fifth Estate,” and “Parade’s End.” Benedict will be returning to the stage this summer in Hamlet at the Barbican with Lyndsey Turner directing. His last stage performance in Danny Boyle’s Frankenstein opposite Jonny Lee Miller awarded him the Olivier.

With “Doctor Strange,” Cumberbatch is just the latest actor to join the bold Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, introducing new heroes and continuing the adventures of fan favorites across multiple films.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/23754/benedict_cumberbatch_to_play_doctor_strange

Anth0ny

holy christ @ the Cumberbatch hate in the other thread

only movies I've seen with him in it were star trek 2 and hobbit 2 (just his voice) and I liked him in both. not understanding where this hate is coming from.

Anth0ny

He's seemingly been everywhere all at once so there is a perceived overexposure. He's an amazing actor and will pull off Strange like a boss.

this is exactly what it is. He's not in as much shit as people seem to be claiming. I don't feel it at all.

I think people are confusing GAF posts/fan casting with him being in every movie ever.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I think Star Trek was the first time I heard him speak. Dude can act in whatever garbage he chooses, just keep that god-voice a-comin.

TDLink

Am I the only one really underwhelmed by the lackluster amount of deleted scenes in the GotG home release?

Gunn claimed there was like a half hour of deleted scenes, enough for an extended edition of the movie...yet there are only 5 minutes in this release and all but the last are from the first third.

jmood88

Am I the only one really underwhelmed by the lackluster amount of deleted scenes in the GotG home release?

Gunn claimed there was like a half hour of deleted scenes, enough for an extended edition of the movie...yet there are only 5 minutes in this release and all but the last are from the first third.
I never watch deleted scenes so it's not a big deal to me.

Seth C

For the most part I agree. The show will not be the start of Civil War, but that's not to say they couldn't flesh it out, and escalate the situation to a point where all they have to do in the movies is reference it in a way that doesn't even require you to watch the show.

quick example,
-Stark fucks shit up on a royal and global scale with Ultron in AoS. shit is all bad, damage control mode is activated. Government interference now imminent.
-AoS picks up from there and while they are part of this damage control and clean up, Speedball somehow escalates the situation to the point where it is now national news.
-CA:CW starts off with the situation being explained by a news reporter on TV and the movie carries on from there.

Now they've referenced the situation in the show, without actually requiring you to watch, and picked up the story from where the last movie left off.

It's pretty clear they already have started what will become civil war in AoS, for anyone who is watching. I don't think anyone will need to watch the show to get it, but for those watching it's already there in the background.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ndela-and-selling-weed-to-dave-chappelle.html

Idris Elba refutes earlier article that he is disgruntled with Marvel.

There’s been a strange amount of backlash to a recent interview you did with The Telegraph that basically claimed that you weren’t happy with your place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and want out. Is there any truth to that, or were those quotes just taken out of context?

I don’t know where people got that, man. I was quite specifically talking about the comparison between playing Heimdall on one day, and playing Mandela on the next. That’s sloppy journalism, or just really bad misquoting. I have a great relationship with the Marvel team, and the character of Heimdall. People are really running with this thing like, “Oh my God, he doesn’t want to be with Marvel anymore.” People thinking that comparing those roles means I don’t want to be with Marvel, well, that’s crazy.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
When did that happen, anyway? I don't ever remembering seeing anything about him being unhappy with Marvel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/11195704/Idris-Elba-interview-Marvel-movies-are-torture.html

Did it take him a while to shake off Mandela?

“Mmm. Yeah. I mean, I didn’t quite shake it off.” It seems he didn’t have the chance. “It was really weird,” he begins. “I’d just done eight months in South Africa. I came to England and the day I came back I had to do reshoots on Thor 2.” He raises an eyebrow. “And in the actual scene my hair was different, my…” He stops and gives an exasperated sigh. “I was like, ‘This is torture, man. I don’t want to do this.’ My agent said: ‘You have to, it’s part of the deal.’ ”

In the scene in question in the superhero movie, “I’m actually falling down from a spaceship, so they had to put me in harness in this green-screen studio. And in between takes I was stuck there, fake hair stuck on to my head with glue, this f------ helmet, while they reset. And I’m thinking: ‘24 hours ago, I was Mandela’. When I walked into the set the extras called me Madiba. I was literally walking in this man’s boots. [Within] six months, the crew, we were all so in love with this film we had made. I was him. I was Mandela, practically,” he insists.

“Then there I was, in this stupid harness, with this wig and this sword and these contact lenses. It ripped my heart out.”

“Ironically, yesterday I had to…” Elba chuckles. He’s not meant to talk about this, but he clearly enjoys doing things he’s not meant to do. “I’m in Avengers,” he reveals. He means that his Thor character, deity-cum-sentry Heimdall, appears in Age of Ultron, the second instalment of the superhero ensemble franchise. “And I’m doing a scene with Chris Hemsworth [who plays Thor] and Tom Hiddleston [Loki], and they’re like, [whispers] – ‘Aren’t you [meant to be] in Ibiza?’ ” That bassy chuckle again, followed by a frown. Elba came straight to Ibiza party-time from a mythical Norse god/Marvel universe that has made billions at the global box office. His head is all over the place. “That’s why I was p----- about my set yesterday. I really just wasn’t there. I was annoyed.”

Joss Whedon was not happy to hear that Elba leaked that Heimdall and Loki would be in Age of Ultron.

So my friend has a theory about Stan Lee's cameos. He thinks the reason why he pops up in the numerous films as different people is because he is The Watcher and it will be dope when he reveals himself in Infinity War and how he has been watching the whole thing play out the whole time.

J10

Banned
So my friend has a theory about Stan Lee's cameos. He thinks the reason why he pops up in the numerous films as different people is because he is The Watcher and it will be dope when he reveals himself in Infinity War and how he has been watching the whole thing play out the whole time.

That's not your friend's theory. The internet came up with that theory years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom