• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He appeared in the bonus short film included in the Thor 2 blu-ray. When Trevor Slattery is serving his prison term, Justin Hammer is in the same prison. So technically he's already been "back" in a Marvel production, just as a gag cameo. Still in prison though.

Don't think there are any plans for an Iron Man 4 in the next 5 years at least. RDJ has a very expensive paycheck and Marvel is careful to use his contracted appearances for important crossover stuff now instead of another stand alone movie.

Oooooooh. That's so cute <3 I love all of these attention to details in the MCU <3

And ah, I see about RDJ. That be wise on Marvel's part. I love RDJ Stark though I know he is very expensive :x.... but he's Iron Man! :D

Pachimari

What is it exactly that makes S2 of AoS better? Is it the actors and the chemistry between them? The plot got stronger?

Please no spoilers as I haven't begun S1 yet. :)

anaron

What is it exactly that makes S2 of AoS better? Is it the actors and the chemistry between them? The plot got stronger?

Please no spoilers as I haven't begun S1 yet. :)
Character dynamics (Coulson feels like the character he was prior to his death again) and interaction actually feel directed by a cohesive, important vision and MCU guided arc. Strong villians and use of Hydra has given the team a much needed place of disadvantage, pacing is now excellent, fight cheoreography is improved a ton and it's just all around more enjoyable to watch.

It finally feels like an extension of the MCU as opposed to a webisode.

The show's gotten a lot better and I'm enjoying it, but duckroll's still correct that it should never, ever result in cameos in the films. That's the sort of thing that would only exist to service the show, not to make the actual films any better. Marvel knows better than that.

eastx

The show's gotten a lot better and I'm enjoying it, but duckroll's still correct that it should never, ever result in cameos in the films. That's the sort of thing that would only exist to service the show, not to make the actual films any better. Marvel knows better than that.

Sure, that's why they're setting up the Inhumans in the show first. :p

This only makes sense from the perspective of an "I like the movies and don't care about the show" viewer. There's no reason why Marvel wouldn't want a symbiotic relationship between the TV and Movie sides since they've already gone through the trouble of making it all one Universe. Unless a TV Character quite literally detracts from movie sales due to their appearance (not going to happen) it can only benefit Marvel's bottom line.

This only makes sense from the perspective of an "I like the movies and don't care about the show" viewer. There's no reason why Marvel wouldn't want a symbiotic relationship between the TV and Movie sides since they've already gone through the trouble of making it all one Universe. Unless a TV Character quite literally detracts from movie sales due to their appearance (not going to happen) it can only benefit Marvel's bottom line.

The total evidence to suggest that Studios proper has significant hands-on creative involvement in SHIELD or sees it as important to the overall future of the MCU:

*crickets*

There is not a single, homogenous "Marvel." There are very distinct teams on the movie and TV side (slightly less so for Agent Carter as evidenced by the EP credits, but not SHIELD or Daredevil), and they coordinate as much as is necessary to maintain a shared universe, but not much more than that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I feel like MCU Justin Hammer is a great candidate for taking over AIM and making it something much closer to the comic AIM.

I wonder if Sam Rockwell would be affordable for television to show up on AoS for a purpose like that.

The total evidence to suggest that Studios proper has significant hands-on creative involvement in SHIELD or sees it as important to the overall future of the MCU:

*crickets*

There is not a single, homogenous "Marvel." There are very distinct teams on the movie and TV side (slightly less so for Agent Carter as evidenced by the EP credits, but not SHIELD or Daredevil), and they coordinate as much as is necessary to maintain a shared universe, but not much more than that.

I'm not sure how any of that disputes my post. We're talking about cameos. You don't need a single, homogenous Marvel or even extensive coordination for cameos. Yet cameos can help the Universe feel "whole" and cross pollinate viewers of only one side of the MCU. There's no disadvantage to cameos from Marvel's perspective.

I'm not sure how any of that disputes my post. We're talking about cameos. You don't need a single, homogenous Marvel or even extensive coordination for cameos. Yet cameos can help the Universe feel "whole" and cross pollinate viewers of only one side of the MCU. There's no disadvantage to cameos from Marvel's perspective.

Sorry, you're right, I probably misinterpreted your point there.

I do think it's more likely than not that TV stuff will be acknowledged in the films eventually (even though a certain AoU rumor is probably false). Just not on any level beyond brief cameos and Easter eggs.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Ehhh I hated him.

He seemed like he was trying to be all top shit and acting bad ass like when he was kicking Falcon's ass and at other parts in the movie.

So glad Cap knocked him the fuck out in that elevator.

If you hate Crossbones then they definitely did him right, he is an pure asshole.

jmood88

*crickets*

Oh lord, here he goes again.

I feel like MCU Justin Hammer is a great candidate for taking over AIM and making it something much closer to the comic AIM.

I wonder if Sam Rockwell would be affordable for television to show up on AoS for a purpose like that.

maybe if it's very limited. His IMDB looks pretty busy right now. Currently in 3 movies that are filming, and the lead/title character of atleast 2 of them.

Oh lord, here he goes again.

Hey, believe what you want. I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

On further consideration, I'm grudgingly willing to at least consider Devin Faraci's theory regarding Inhumans on SHIELD, which is essentially that the most explicitly Inhumans-related elements will be kept as vague as possible and will begin and end, at least for the foreseeable future, in the next two episodes, being used more as a means to shake up the show's status quo (giving Skye and/or Raina powers?) than anything else.

But a bigger, longer, serialized Inhumans arc? No, I see no way that could happen unless Studios proper is willing to give the show a lot of latitude to define everything about the Inhumans not directly related to Attilan or the Royal Family characters. You can't have a serialized mystery unless there's actually shit you're allowed to reveal.

On a related note: what are people expecting to see Inhumans-wise in the films before 2018, given Feige's "sooner than you think" comment last month? Even if you assume he lied (or at least used very deceptive language) about Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch being Inhumans, AoU has so much going on that I don't see how there's much room to do more than vaguely allude to their powers having alien origins. There's certainly no room for Inhumans elements in Ant-Man or Civil War, and Dr. Strange doesn't seem much more plausible. When we get into 2017, GotG2 and maaaaaaaaaybe Black Panther could have more setup, but the former isn't set on Earth and the latter already has its hands full introducing another fantastical city on Earth.

So, I could be totally wrong, but I'm skeptical that we'll get much more than foreshadowing and Easter eggs before 2018. There just doesn't seem to be much room for it in their slate before then.

Quick

Banned
Just got myself a Star-Lord avatar muaha.

Love this character in the MCU. I hope he'll meet the Avengers as well in Infinity War.

kclkdpayub7roood8nml.gif

Since I acquired a copy, I have watched Guardians about 5 times. Jesus, I need help.

Seriously though, the film just makes me so happy and I have yet to get bored of it.

No, it's just that there should never be even a millisecond of footage in the films that only makes sense if you've watched the show. That includes, like, having one of the AoS cast show up in the film and having the camera linger on them for even a moment too long, acting like it's an earned emotional beat if one of them dies, et cetera.

neoanarch

It's a shared universe of course eventually a tv character or moment is gonna serve a purpose in an important movie moment. I guarantee a Netflix character will play a major role in the movies.

I mean did Coulsons death or Sitwells betrayal mean anything to people who hadn't seen every previous movie? Probably not but being in a shared universe means they can play those cards. Believing that just because its on tv it will never affect the larger MCU is silly. Graviton and Blizzard are probably already threats well outside of SHIELDS level.

danielcw

I mean did Coulsons death or Sitwells betrayal mean anything to people who hadn't seen every previous movie?

Coulson had enough characterization in Avengers to matter, in 2 ways even.

But more importantly, those deaths weren't pointless, they made sense in their movies alone. Their continuity is just icing on the cake.

Same SHIELD characters can be used in the future.

anaron

I understand not wanting to treat the crossovers with a wink but why the hell would you be opposed to it at altogether? The fact that a TV series is running concurrent with the MCU let's the world feel especially alive and is just cool in general.

According to the weekly BO thread, Guardians of the Galaxies may end up finishing up the year as #1 domestic BO. The latest Hunger Games isn't performing as expected.

Anth0ny

According to the weekly BO thread, Guardians of the Galaxies may end up finishing up the year as #1 domestic BO. The latest Hunger Games isn't performing as expected.

It's gonna be really close between Guardians, Hunger Games and maybe Hobbit 3. Hobbit 2 did "only" $258 million domestic, but considering this one is the end of the trilogy who knows.

It's a shared universe of course eventually a tv character or moment is gonna serve a purpose in an important movie moment. I guarantee a Netflix character will play a major role in the movies.

I mean did Coulsons death or Sitwells betrayal mean anything to people who hadn't seen every previous movie? Probably not but being in a shared universe means they can play those cards. Believing that just because its on tv it will never affect the larger MCU is silly. Graviton and Blizzard are probably already threats well outside of SHIELDS level.

Yeah, well, I'll believe it when I see it. Easter eggs and minor cameos, no more, and not necessarily even that.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Well thats at least a step up from a resounding "no".
I wouldn't be surprised if he got in a bit of trouble for that, honestly. And ultimately, after those comments he made back then, it would be in Marvel's best interest to just recast if/when they bring the character back.

Dunno why everyone expects Weaving to return. He said he wasn't thrilled about the prospect, and pretty much anyone can play the character now that he was "unmasked." It actually wouldn't make any sense for him to reprise the role, Skull wouldn't disguise himself with the same face again.

The character is pretty much destined to be played by a different actor every time he appears, or at least could be.

Looking at Hugo's IMDB, the man stays busy, but seeing as he only has 1 currently filming production, he might be looking for that next project.... but him saying how he siad he would only do it if they forced him: Hugo Weaving quote
I [signed a multi-picture deal] for Captain America. I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back. They might for The Avengers, but I didn&#8217;t think I&#8217;d be in Captain America 2 or 3. I don&#8217;t think Red Skull will be there. And it&#8217;s not something I would want to do again. I&#8217;m glad I did it. I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn&#8217;t want to force someone to do it, if they didn&#8217;t want to. I think I&#8217;ve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it&#8217;s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.

I'm sure Marvel would rather sign up a new enthusiastic and hungry actor for the role, especially since as stated, Red Skull wouldn't likely reuse the same face, even if it is some 70 odd years later.

Daniel Bruhl seems like a good fit for the role considering his past work.

Daniel is supposed to be a minor villain in Civil War & a major villain in Doctor Strange according to Variety.

There's speculation that the Variety reporter or his source just confused Zemo and Mordo. Seems plausible, at least, given that there's no real overlap between Strange's and Cap's rogues' galleries in 616.

I understand not wanting to treat the crossovers with a wink but why the hell would you be opposed to it at altogether? The fact that a TV series is running concurrent with the MCU let's the world feel especially alive and is just cool in general.

Even setting aside questions of internal corporate politics: I'm fine with TV references/cameos if they're handled as unobtrusively as possible.

But TV is a very different medium, on a much lower budget, with different standards of pacing and structure, and perhaps most importantly, with a much smaller audience. As I see it, if any remotely significant plot point or scene in a film assumes familiarity with a Marvel Television series, it's very, very hard for that not to come off as a blatant plug.

danielcw

But TV is a very different medium, on a much lower budget, with different standards of pacing and structure, and perhaps most importantly, with a much smaller audience.

In the case of Blockbusters like the Marvel movies, it may be true,
but in general that is not necessarily the case.

Anyway, movies are stand-alone. Any character will be used in a way that is understandable for anyone. So why couldn't a character from the show appear in the movies, even in a big way.
Look at Black Widdow or Hawkeye. Both weren't that established before Avengers, but they were told in a way that made sense on their own.

duckroll

So erm, I watched the first episode of AoS Season 2.... wow. What happened to this show? Did they fire everyone who worked on season 1 to replace them with capable doppelgangers? I don't understand...

curb

Banned
So erm, I watched the first episode of AoS Season 2.... wow. What happened to this show? Did they fire everyone who worked on season 1 to replace them with capable doppelgangers? I don't understand...

Whatever they did, I'm glad they did it. I am loving the new season. Oh, and it continues to get better as the season progresses.

Peru

Written by the same people who wrote episode 1 of season 1.. I guess they just decided to make a better show.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Written by the same people who wrote episode 1 of season 1.. I guess they just decided to make a better show.

The pilot wasn't that bad compared to other pilots. But Season 2 is a pretty big leap forward. My guess is they actually planned out the season more thoroughly, than what they scrapped together for Season 1.

I suspect they've also benefited significantly from less creative interference on the ABC end (with the network presumably giving up on the show ever becoming the four-quadrant ratings juggernaut they'd attempted to engineer) and on the Marvel Studios end (no film coming out during the season that upends the series' entire premise with a plot twist that has to be written around for months, and the studio lessening other restrictions over the course of S1).

But yeah, a few months off to take stock of what worked and what didn't helps.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Based on interviews it sounds like the first 2/3rds of season 1 were filler scripts shoved to the front of the line because of Winter Soldier. A laundry list of story arcs couldn't be deployed until that movie was out.

Afterward, the entire show seems to have uncompressed and stretched its legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom