• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Does it qualify as a troll when pretty much anyone who knows anything about the film knows it's not possible for there to be a review yet? Lol.

Fwiw, I think it's a pretty funny joke about how lots of people have basically made up their minds about upcoming Marvel films at this point without even seeing them!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Does it qualify as a troll when pretty much anyone who knows anything about the film knows it's not possible for there to be a review yet? Lol.

Fwiw, I think it's a pretty funny joke about how lots of people have basically made up their minds about upcoming Marvel films at this point without even seeing them!
Well, it's not like you need to write a review like this one for that, creating a Marvel thread in the OT has the same effect and is as equally funny :p

Neoxon

James Gunn did a Q&A on his Facebook page a few days ago. Three of the questions are actually of significance.

Q: Are there any plans in the works to dive a bit deeper into Rocket's back story, like Halfworld and characters associated with that at all? Or is it too early for me to ask about that?

James Gunn: I have it all worked out, but I'm not sure when it would be the best to go into it. I think it's some great stuff. It's different from the comics.

Q: Would you like to see Nova come to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and tie in with the Guardians? How would you do it?

Gunn: Yes I'd eventually like to see that. How I'd do it would be secret [sic] tho.
itsNp4Z.png

Neoxon

God damn it so many cosmic characters are stuck with the F4 licence it's ridiculous.
Gladiator is stuck with the X-Men.

We really a need a Nova (Richard Rider) movie.
FTFY....
a careful internet search will show you what you're looking for
....and that is why.

You mean that he was cutted from the movie?
He was, but was cut because James Gunn wanted to focus on Star-Lord. This is news because Gunn is still willing to tackle solo Nova & has a plan in place to make it happen. Though GAMEPROFF was actually making a dirty joke.

duckroll

The major alien races of cosmic Marvel is basically fucked in the MCU. That's why other than the Kree, pretty much every alien threat has been low rent obscure jobber races. THe Shi'ar are locked up by the X-men license, and the Skrulls are sort of tied up with the Fantastic Four license, mostly because of Super Skrull. The Badoon are also tied up with something else, but James Gunn never clarified what. Maybe by association with the Silver Surfer license?

duckroll

Marvel can use the Skrulls but no super skrull.

I believe they also have the rights to Thanos's race.

Phalanx probably with the X-Men as are the Brood.

Yes, but they don't want to because it seems that it's a bit complicated. There was nothing in the Avengers script about Super Skrull, but it seemed that not having a part of the license was enough for them to decide to swap out for another race. So as far as it goes, it looks like Marvel doesn't want to acknowledge Skrulls in the MCU unless they have it all back.

Neoxon

The major alien races of cosmic Marvel is basically fucked in the MCU. That's why other than the Kree, pretty much every alien threat has been low rent obscure jobber races. THe Shi'ar are locked up by the X-men license, and the Skrulls are sort of tied up with the Fantastic Four license, mostly because of Super Skrull. The Badoon are also tied up with something else, but James Gunn never clarified what. Maybe by association with the Silver Surfer license?
- Marvel can use regular Skrulls if they so choose, but they can't use Super-Skrull because they're with the Fantastic Four rights (if that means just Kl'rt or all Super-Skrulls was never specified).
- The Shi'ar, & by extension Gladiator, are tied up with the X-Men rights.
- The Badoon are also tied up with the Fantastic Four rights.

Yes, but they don't want to because it seems that it's a bit complicated. There was nothing in the Avengers script about Super Skrull, but it seemed that not having a part of the license was enough for them to decide to swap out for another race. So as far as it goes, it looks like Marvel doesn't want to acknowledge Skrulls in the MCU unless they have it all back.

Actually the reason why they changed them was due to the Skrulls were harder to animate than the chitauri. You know with there shapeshifting.

Neoxon

After the success of GotG, I think Fox would not let those rights go so easily.
Plus Marvel tried to get some of the cosmic races from Fox before (though Galactus & Silver Surfer were the only two name-dropped, it was implied that more were involved). Granted, the F4 movies won't likely touch their cosmic characters due to how grounded the reboot movie is, but the X-Men may touch on the Shi'ar in the foreseeable future.

Because of the Shi'ar. I'm sure they first appeared in X-Men comics and have close ties.

He & the Shi'ar in general have close ties with the X-Men.

Love all these amazing rights issues. Super awesome. :/

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Plus Marvel tried to get some of the cosmic races from Fox before (though Galactus & Silver Surfer were the only two name-dropped, it was implied that more were involved). Granted, the F4 movies won't likely touch their cosmic characters due to how grounded the reboot movie is, but the X-Men may touch on the Shi'ar in the foreseeable future.

Yeah right Fox will do whatever they can to make money as they burn down the FF4 ship to the bottom of the abyss. Maybe there will be a superbowl spot.

Take it for what it's worth, and it's possible that they're not being completely forthright, but Feige and Whedon have both said in interviews that the decision not to use the Skrulls in Avengers had nothing to do with rights issues and was instead for story reasons; namely, that they ultimately concluded that the script worked better with Loki as the sole individuated villain and without any other villains being given their own subplots.

J10

Banned
Using the Skrulls on film probably requires some significant forethought and Avengers was made at a really fast pace. You would wanna emphasize the feeling of paranoia about not knowing who's really themselves but you don't wanna confuse or annoy people and leave them wondering if some character they really like is actually some secret alien. It's a can of worms.

duckroll

Actually the reason why they changed them was due to the Skrulls were harder to animate than the chitauri. You know with there shapeshifting.

This makes sense given budget concerns.

Take it for what it's worth, and it's possible that they're not being completely forthright, but Feige and Whedon have both said in interviews that the decision not to use the Skrulls in Avengers had nothing to do with rights issues and was instead for story reasons; namely, that they ultimately concluded that the script worked better with Loki as the sole individuated villain and without any other villains being given their own subplots.

Not sure if this excuse they gave makes much sense though. I mean, in the end, it's the same thing. Whether it was Chitauri or Skrulls, it would still be Loki being the sole villain opening a space portal to Earth for an invasion. They would all still be fodder, just more recognizable fodder for comic fans.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Joss Whedon Says It's "Very Doubtful" He Will Return For AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

According to the latest issue of Empire:

"I couldn't imagine doing this again," he reveals, referring to the time and effort which has gone into the sequel. "It's enormously hard, and it be, by then, a good five years since I created anything that was completely my own. So it's very doubtful that I would take on the two-part Infinity War movie that would eat up the next four years of my life. I obviously still want to be a part of the Marvel Universe - I love these guys - but it ain't easy. This year has been more like running three shows than any year of my life. It is bonkers."

Bring on the Russos to direct Infinity War, and let Joss write the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom