• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am actually not really expecting it. I just get excited when I think about it, because I am an giant Spidey Fan and I am sad how Sony treats him while Marvel brings all that characters with great respect.

When it would happened, I would go fully insane :D

curb

Banned
It comes from my experience with comic books - when a writer or team of writers begins a large scale plan and manages to execute on it, it can turn out well.

Unexpected cross overs between teams mid-story is a much harder thing to pull off, and can introduce real inconsistencies within the larger universe. I just have seen a lot of good stories railroaded and ruined by this sort of thing, and I would hate for that to happen to the MCU.

Even if Sony is willing to give MCU complete creative control for a MCU-exusive Spidey reboot (where Sony gets merch money and a back end on tickets to compensate) I still see issues. Fiege doesn't want to do another origin movie, so I'm not sure how to gracefully introduce this giant character into the MCU.

Lastly, I would hate for Spidey to become the Wolverine of the Avengers, but I honestly don't see that problem coming to fruition.

I can see that your overall perspective if they don't get a fresh start. As for the bolded part, to me I see little issue with integrating Spidey into existing longterm plans if they get a clean slate. Scripts for anything beyond Civil War are still early enough to work with. Also, if they're not going to do a true origin story for Black Panther or Captain Marvel then they can pick up with new MCU Spidey already being Spidey. Now, if Sony and Marvel were to strike a deal soon, I'd be concerned if they said he'd be in Civil War.

I myself wouldn't be concerned about them integrating Spider-Man into the MCU as much as I am over the very overall grand ambitions they have for of Phase 3 as a whole - that seems like a way more monumental task to me.

FeD.nL

Just finished re-reading the JMS Thor omnibus. The things I would do for Jaimie Alexander as Loki... Please Marvel make it happen.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/berlin-kenneth-branagh-says-cinderella-770122

Kenneth Branagh wants to work with Marvel again.

Following this dalliance with Disney’s fairy-tale side, would you be keen to venture back to its Marvel stable?

I’m pleased to say that I continue to have good relationships with all my Marvel family. It’s a people game the movie game, and although these films are big articulated lorries, they still have to be driven by real people. I fondly remember good times working on Thor. So you always look to repeat that kind of thing, and if it happened again, I’d be delighted.

It comes from my experience with comic books - when a writer or team of writers begins a large scale plan and manages to execute on it, it can turn out well.

Unexpected cross overs between teams mid-story is a much harder thing to pull off, and can introduce real inconsistencies within the larger universe. I just have seen a lot of good stories railroaded and ruined by this sort of thing, and I would hate for that to happen to the MCU.

Even if Sony is willing to give MCU complete creative control for a MCU-exusive Spidey reboot (where Sony gets merch money and a back end on tickets to compensate) I still see issues. Fiege doesn't want to do another origin movie, so I'm not sure how to gracefully introduce this giant character into the MCU.

Lastly, I would hate for Spidey to become the Wolverine of the Avengers, but I honestly don't see that problem coming to fruition.

It's still plenty early enough to get Spidey in for Infinity War without it straining too much. I also feel like an origin story isn't necessary for a character as iconic as Spidey, especially if they're not going to give him an individual movie(s). We don't need to know MCU's potential version specifics if we're not going to see him on his own. If they were to tackle individual Spidey movies after his first appearance, they can always do flashback stuff to reference the most important parts of his origin story without having to rehash it again for the third time in less than two decades.

Neoxon

It's still plenty early enough to get Spidey in for Infinity War without it straining too much. I also feel like an origin story isn't necessary for a character as iconic as Spidey, especially if they're not going to give him an individual movie(s). We don't need to know MCU's potential version specifics if we're not going to see him on his own. If they were to tackle individual Spidey movies after his first appearance, they can always do flashback stuff to reference the most important parts of his origin story without having to rehash it again for the third time in less than two decades.
Based on the SonyGate leaks, Marvel most likely wants to do solo Spidey movies. As for the origin, apparently they'd skip it beyond the occasional flashback & jump into Peter already dealing with his double-life, similar to The Spectacular Spider-Man (TV).

I'd be down for him on Thor 3. Thor 1 was alright & I'm sure he'd up his game for Ragnarök.

I feel like Brannagh was wasted every moment they're on Earth in that movie. But any scene on Asgard, especially anything dealing with Thor, Loki and Odin's relationship, was just what I wanted out of a Brannagh-directed Thor film.

Ragnarok would pretty much be that to the extreme, so I would love to have him return to the franchise for that movie.

Neoxon

I feel like Brannagh was wasted every moment they're on Earth in that movie. But any scene on Asgard, especially anything dealing with Thor, Loki and Odin's relationship, was just what I wanted out of a Brannagh-directed Thor film.

Ragnarok would pretty much be that to the extreme, so I would love to have him return to the franchise for that movie.
You pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter. Thor 1 kinda left me wanting more from Brannagh in terms of Asgard. Ragnarök looks to be promising that, so I hope they call Brannagh up to take another jab at the franchise.

3N16MA

Banned
The Asgard scenes are the best thing about Thor 1. Thor demanding another drink was the highlight of the earth scenes.

Dai101

Banned

48zR2Pn.gif

Pachimari

This is awesome lol

Also, it looks like I'll be going back to Hall H this year. If Star Wars is also at Hall H on Saturday, along with DC and MCU blow outs, I'd probably have to start lining up Thursday night if I want any chance of getting in. Last year I started lining up at 7PM on Friday night (Hall H started Saturday at 10AM) and ended up towards the back of the hall.

I don't think anyone would be able to top a Spidey in MCU announcement.
What event is happening this week?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-galaxy-2-story-marvel-thought-james-gunns-idea-sequel-risky/

James Gunn talks Guardians of the Galaxy 2:

It’s not really based on anything. The story for Guardians 2 is an original story that I came up with that I started working on actually while I was shooting Guardians 1, and it’ll answer some of the questions that were put forth in the first movie about Peter Quill’s father and who he is and what’s going on with that. We’ll get to know some of the characters a little bit more and then we’re going to meet a couple of new characters who will be very important to Guardians movies and probably important to the Marvel Universe as a whole.

It’s different than what’s in the comic books. Peter Quill’s father is somebody different in the comics. So then when the movie came out, we got green-lit on the sequel right away. I went in and I sat down with those guys and I’m like, ‘Okay, here’s what I think the sequel should be.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, whoa. That’s risky, but okay.’ Now I’m going to turn over the story in a few short weeks and we’ll find out how well it works.

Ithil

Thor 1 felt like they were holding back, probably because the MCU was unproven and they had to introduce fantasy and magic into the same universe as Iron Man, carefully. Given it was his first "huge budget blockbuster", I imagine Branagh would be more suited the second time round, with a more fantasy and Norse melodrama focused entry.

Alan Taylor disappointed after doing a great job on GoT and other shows, but it seems like the production of TDW wasn't very smooth so whatever.

TDW ran into the same problems as IM2 and Ant-Man, where the director got unhappy because of the studio suits inserting a lot of broader-MCU-plan stuff into a film that was formerly more focused.

The difference with Ant Man is that the problems occurred before shooting began, where with IM2 and Thor 2 it was during actual production and post production. So at least the Peyton Reed knows what he is getting into.

TDW ran into the same problems as IM2 and Ant-Man, where the director got unhappy because of the studio suits inserting a lot of broader-MCU-plan stuff into a film that was formerly more focused.

TDW undeniably was mucked about with quite a bit by Feige et al, but I wouldn't say it had much broader-MCU-plan stuff besides the cliffhanger ending and a single line of exposition foreshadowing the GotG teaser scene.

I thought the issues with Dark World were the insertion of more Loki.

Right, which is very much about setting up Thor 3.

I'm pretty critical of IM2 and the stuff that drove Wright off the Ant-Man project, but tbh I think the Thor films need something to concretely tie them together as an overall arc, which is something that the Iron Man and Captain America films have been succeeding at more readily (especially the Cap films). Thor 2 is probably better off with a greater focus on the continuing family drama, even though apparently Malekith actually used to have character motivations, dimension, actual lines of dialogue, et cetera and all of those got removed.

J10

Banned
TDW undeniably was mucked about with quite a bit by Feige et al, but I wouldn't say it had much broader-MCU-plan stuff besides the cliffhanger ending and a single line of exposition foreshadowing the GotG teaser scene.

Some of Malekith's scenes were cut for some reason. Eccleston and Taylor commented on it in interviews. Sounded like good stuff, too.

Neoxon

Some of Malekith's scenes were cut for some reason. Eccleston and Taylor commented on it in interviews. Sounded like good stuff, too.
And this still saddens me just as much as it did when the article first came out.

tomtom94

Yeah, the biggest problem with Dark World was the fact that Malekith and the family stuff never quite came together because they were too busy competing for screentime (a battle Loki was always going to win).

But not for reasons pertaining to subsequent MCU films. At least, not readily apparent ones.

Well, not directly, but the Loki stuff contributes further to the broader arc that's gonna relate to Thor: Ragnarok even if it's clearly about the Thor films and not about the broader MCU necessarily (though between Avengers 1 and Thor: Ragnarok apparently having MCU-wide repercussions, Loki may count as a broader MCU element in that sense). It was a very conscious choice to deemphasize the main villain of the film in favor of the overall Thor series family-drama arc.

duckroll

Marvel Studio's most embarrassing habit is hiring great character actors for interesting villain roles, and then cutting all their scenes out during editing.

eastx

Marvel Studio's most embarrassing habit is hiring great character actors for interesting villain roles, and then cutting all their scenes out during editing.

Yep, it's so frustrating that they do that. Malekith always would have looked lame in that awful costume/makeup, but if he'd had some development we might not have minded.

I wonder if the plan is after phase 3/infinity war dies down and feige leaves, Disney rereleases the bluray on a collectors edition version with all the cutscenes.

Yeah, Malekith is the most underwritten villain in the entire MCU film canon, and that's saying a lot. No development to speak of beyond the opening exposition dump, and Eccleston's screen time was brutally cut to the bare minimum necessary for his role in the plot to function.

Thor 2 was so bad that it has retroactively catapulted Thor 1 to "fantastic" levels, The Thor movies have always been the worst tier, Marvel/Disney knows it, hopefully the extra time given to Ragnarok can change this.

Yeah, absolutely this.

I fully understand that it's important for them to emphasize the heroes over the villains - many superhero films have made the opposite mistake of having the villains stand out more than the heroes - but often I feel like they go too far in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom