• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

I am extremely pleased by this news.

I honestly don't know what to feel about this. I'm ecstatic by Spidey entering the MCU but I'm also worried about the b-listers, like Black Pabther's role in Civil War and why Inhumane is now releasing AFTER the Avengers: Infinity War.

Is the solo Spidey movie for 2017 an official MCU movie now?

Yes. Sounds like Sony is still retaining the rights and there will be a profit sharing deal. However, Feige and the Marvel Studios team is actually making the movie and the film will be part of the MCU.

BLACKLAC

Well so much for Black Panther being the major hero to lead into Phase 4. Oh well. Spider-Man was my favorite super hero growing up, so if they do him justice, it'll almost be worth it. Almost.

Why wouldn't he be major?

The new spot has MUCH bigger implications on Black Panthers importance to the MCU being between Infinity War.

If anyone is getting the shaft here it's Inhumans.

Why wouldn't he be major?

The new spot has MUCH bigger implications on Black Panthers importance to the MCU being between Infinity War.

I wonder if they don't quietly realign things with the Inhumans, given how they're getting kickstarted on Agents of SHIELD now.

Pachimari

Yes. Sounds like Sony is still retaining the rights and there will be a profit sharing deal. However, Feige and the Marvel Studios team is actually making the movie and the film will be part of the MCU.
Isn't it just Kevin Feige working together with the Sony team?

I don't like that one bit. But maybe they'll play a larger role in the new MCU after Thanos have created havoc in Infinity War.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The best thing is, that Marvel can now use the many small licences in their movies.
The thing that makes me love the MCU are the small details. Even they now start to replace random newspaper X in a movie with the Daily Bugle, the stuff is far more better for me because it feels more like the comicbooks.

Pachimari

The best thing is, that Marvel can now use the many small licences in their movies.
The thing that makes me love the MCU are the small details. Even they now start to replace random newspaper X in a movie with the Daily Bugle, the stuff is far more better for me because it feels more like the comicbooks.
Yeah this is what I'm thinking as well. It would mean a lot to me if they use Daily Bugle as the newspaper for the MCU.

jph139

Man, I can't wait to see stuff like that. Too bad it's too late for Ben Urich to work for the Bugle in Daredevil...

TDLink

I think filming and post-production is already finished.

It is, but they can always call actors back for reshoots or alter stuff in post. They could also just not and have Ben Urich move to the Daily Bugle in a future season or other part of the MCU.

LaNaranja

I wonder if they don't quietly realign things with the Inhumans, given how they're getting kickstarted on Agents of SHIELD now.

Inhumans confirmed to be an ABC Family Original Movie.

Seriously though, this kinds sucks. I was really looking forward to the Inhumans. Hopefully they find a way to squeeze them in before Infinity War is over.

Pachimari

I'm honestly feeling a little bummed about this whole Spidey ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I love the character and he is my favorite alongside Daredevil but I'm afraid if his inclusion will change too much of what would be the focus of lesser known characters.

I'm worried about Black Panther's role in Civil War, as well as his own movie getting delayed till after the first Infinity War movie. And the Inhumans only getting their own movie after the whole Thanos deal is over and done. And not to forget the introduction in Agents of Shield now leading to a film 4 years into the future.

Marvel sure had plans in case they got Spidey but I can't stop speculating what effect it'll have on other franchises.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You all forgot that Sony is likely still financing most of the Spider-Man movies. I think Marvel was going to pay a quarter of the coasts, which should easy be refinanced with the merchandise.
Marvel Studios still controlls all other heroes and can still introduce smaller heroes.
The only problem is here, that in Phase III we already have a enddate for the big overreaching arc with Avengers 3.1 and 3.2, at least in Phase IV, this will become a non-issue.

LaNaranja

How long until they bring Osborn into the MCU? Also who do you think they use as the villain for the stand alone Spider-Man film? I want to see Kraven the Hunter.

FeD.nL

I'm honestly feeling a little bummed about this whole Spidey ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I love the character and he is my favorite alongside Daredevil but I'm afraid if his inclusion will change too much of what would be the focus of lesser known characters.

I'm worried about Black Panther's role in Civil War, as well as his own movie getting delayed till after the first Infinity War movie. And the Inhumans only getting their own movie after the whole Thanos deal is over and done. And not to forget the introduction in Agents of Shield now leading to a film 4 years into the future.

Marvel sure had plans in case they got Spidey but I can't stop speculating what effect it'll have on other franchises.

If anything this was the plan all along, they just could not announce it at the phase 3 press event. The release dates make sense now, I posted in Neoxon's prediction thread that the Thor: Ragnarok as well as the BP release dates were very strange. Thor: Ragnarok is going the be the most mythololigcally heavy one so a November release is perfect as well as Black Panther as a summer release. Even the Inhumans work perfectly as setting up a new status quo for phase 4.

Pachimari

If anything this was the plan all along, they just could not announce it at the phase 3 press event. The release dates make sense now, I posted in Neoxon's prediction thread that the Thor: Ragnarok as well as the BP release dates were very strange. Thor: Ragnarok is going the be the most mythololigcally heavy one so a November release is perfect as well as Black Panther as a summer release. Even the Inhumans work perfectly as setting up a new status quo for phase 4.
I hope that is the case.

Black Panther after Infinity War 1 might make sense, if it revolves around the cosmic part of the universe. While Infinity War 2 takes place on Earth.

duckroll

Marvel's first black superhero movie and first female superhero movie gets pushed way back to make room for the 6th edition of a wisecracking white hero with an attitude. Typical comic culture.

FeD.nL

BP moved back to shoe horn Spidey in?

Sony retaining final creative control

LOL fuck this

Though I really wonder if it matters that much, Peter using an Xperia phone/Daily Bugle using Sony products is probably the worst that can happen. Fact is that both companies know where they stand, Sony needs Marvel more than the other way around. Feige told us he has everything mapped out and if he does not let Edgar Wright get his way he damn well wont let Sony ruin it either.

And if I read it correctly Sony only has final creative control over the Spider-Man films and not the character so his appearances in other MCU will not involve Sony to that degree.

duckroll

Though I really wonder if it matters that much, Peter using an Xperia phone/Daily Bugle using Sony products is probably the worst that can happen. Fact is that both companies know where they stand, Sony needs Marvel more than the other way around. Feige told us he has everything mapped out and if he does not let Edgar Wright get his way he damn well wont let Sony ruin it either.

And if I read it correctly Sony only has final creative control over the Spider-Man films and not the character so his appearances in other MCU will not involve Sony to that degree.

It won't matter for the first film or two, but this is the sort of agreement which depends very much on the goodwill of everyone involved not to turn on each other. When everyone is on the same page, it's all good. If executives are replaced, or if relationships break down, then anything goes.

FeD.nL

It won't matter for the first film or two, but this is the sort of agreement which depends very much on the goodwill of everyone involved not to turn on each other. When everyone is on the same page, it's all good. If executives are replaced, or if relationships break down, then anything goes.

That's a good point. I really wonder what is in the contract though. I mean Marvel must have negotiated a specific amount of appearances in MCU properties.

Nelo Ice

Banned
That's a good point. I really wonder what is in the contract though. I mean Marvel must have negotiated a specific amount of appearances in MCU properties.

Yeah and I would hope Marvel thought about all the potential pitfalls. I don't want a situation where Sony just fucks everything up again after Marvel Studios resurrects Spidey.

I said this in the other thread but I'm really wondering when Spidey is going to make his MCU debut. Civil War starts filming in ~2 months, they presumably haven't even casted Spidey yet and the script is most likely more or less set. Is there even enough time for him to show up? Or do you guys assume Marvel/Disney planned for this in advance and had some sort of emergency script prepared? Maybe they're going to get around the actor issue by not unmasking him...

FeD.nL

I said this in the other thread but I'm really wondering when Spidey is going to make his MCU debut. Civil War starts filming in ~2 months, they presumably haven't even casted Spidey yet and the script is most likely more or less set. Is there even enough time for him to show up? Or do you guys assume Marvel/Disney planned for this in advance and had some sort of emergency script prepared? Maybe they're going to get around the actor issue by not unmasking him...

Well this deal has been rumored for a long time so I think they already narrowed down actors and it would not surprise me if we get casting news within a month or two. Sony Pictures had the whole hacking scandal and it just was not the right time to announce it but since that died down now is the perfect time. So my guess is they pretty much did a lot of pre-production on Civil War with Spider-Man already incorporated.

duckroll

It's probably not a major role. They probably already have scripts which account for Spider-man being in the film and not being in the film. So they could still cast him in the next few months, and fit it into the tail end of shooting, or do pick up shots later.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Pretty much.
Oh please. The deal probably never would have gone through had Marvel not been willing to move things around. Nothing was canceled, just shifted what...six to eight months for the most part? The only movie that really looks like it's getting fucked here is Inhumans.

Oh please. The deal probably never would have gone through had Marvel not been willing to move things around. Nothing was canceled, just shifted what...six to eight months for the most? The only movie that really looks like it's getting fucked here is Inhumans.

And nobody even cares about Inhumans.

Not yet anyway.

curb

Banned
I'm sad that Captain Marvel got pushed back but I think it's definitely worth it in the long run.

Also, I'm in camp Miles as well but not at the expense of Peter first. Miles can come later.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Well so much for Black Panther being the major hero to lead into Phase 4. Oh well. Spider-Man was my favorite super hero growing up, so if they do him justice, it'll almost be worth it. Almost.

how are you even piecing that together? If the movie is good BP will be a hit, he's endured in comics just as long as spidey has, look at GoTG look at IM, Cap, and Thor. No worries, if done justice BP will be amazing because he's a great character.

jmood88

Marvel's first black superhero movie and first female superhero movie gets pushed way back to make room for the 6th edition of a wisecracking white hero with an attitude. Typical comic culture.
Spider-Man is my favorite character but that does suck. Maybe Marvel will go with Miles.

Well this deal has been rumored for a long time so I think they already narrowed down actors and it would not surprise me if we get casting news within a month or two. Sony Pictures had the whole hacking scandal and it just was not the right time to announce it but since that died down now is the perfect time. So my guess is they pretty much did a lot of pre-production on Civil War with Spider-Man already incorporated.

It's probably not a major role. They probably already have scripts which account for Spider-man being in the film and not being in the film. So they could still cast him in the next few months, and fit it into the tail end of shooting, or do pick up shots later.

Good points. I just hope he doesn't feel shoehorned in or takes away from the other characters (especially BP).

Yep. But the Infinity War films are far off enough that people should fully expect Spidey to have plenty to do in that movie.

inky

I've been "browsing" GAF for about an hour and only now did I notice there's a 50 page 'Spidey comes to MCU' thread, LOL.

I guess it wasn't wise to skip my coffee today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom