• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Official announcement on the Russos directing Avengers 3 & 4.

As anticipation and excitement build to a fever pitch for Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” the blockbuster sequel to the third-largest movie of all time, Marvel is proud to announce Joe and Anthony Russo will join the franchise as the directors of Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1” and “Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2.”​
At least it's official now.

E the Shaggy

Marvel's
Avengers:
Infinity War
Part 1 -
Captain America Dies In This One

Just gimme this scene, that's all I ask:

infinity-gauntlet-caps-walk.jpg

Quick

Banned
Do you guys think the movies will be called "Part 1" and "Part 2", or are the parts going to get specific subtitles?

Marvel Presents, in association with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures: Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1: Split Infinitives.

Marvel Presents, in association with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures: Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2: Thanos Is In This Movie, Too.

Busaiku

Do Sony only have the film rights for Spider-Man?
Like if Daredevil does really well, is it too much to hope for a similar treatment for street level Spider-Man?

Neoxon

Like if Daredevil does really well, is it too much to hope for a similar treatment for street level Spider-Man?
Put it this way, Spider-Man is like a car. Sony still owns the car, but they're too drunk to drive it. Marvel Studios is their designated driver while Sony rides shotgun.

TDLink

Marvel has TV rights to Spider-Man, but they will never use them. Spidey is too big for TV.

They are doing characters on TV that they don't think can carry a film on their own. Daredevil is probably the one exception (especially sine he had a film), but I am sure they just feel the TV format works better for him.

Quick

Banned
In an ideal MCU, a major star appearances would happen at random on the TV shows. The closest we have is Nick Fury in Agents of SHIELD. Imagine Spidey popping in and helping Daredevil take down Stilt Man or something.

Put it this way, Spider-Man is like a car. Sony still owns the car, but they're too drunk to drive it. Marvel Studios is their designated driver while Sony rides shotgun.

post-27633-Troy-Abed-good-point-Community-8k1e.gif

This is a pretty good analogy. lol

BLACKLAC

Marvel has TV rights to Spider-Man, but they will never use them. Spidey is too big for TV.

They are doing characters on TV that they don't think can carry a film on their own. Daredevil is probably the one exception (especially sine he had a film), but I am sure they just feel the TV format works better for him.

Not necessarily, they don't really have the time and resources in their film division.

Neoxon

Marvel has the animated TV rights to Spider-Man.

FTFY

TDLink

Not necessarily, they don't really have the time and resources in their film division.

Essentially it is how it is. They have plenty of resources, they are going up to 3 films a year and planning to have 5 (for now) concurrent television shows. They are simply reserving TV for the street level heroes rather than doing them in the films. They are smaller scale and don't require the CG bonanza that the films indulge in. So yes, it very much is about the "scale" of the hero they are looking at in terms of if they get a film or a tv show.

As an added benefit the shows get a longer time to tell their stories and thus have the potential to be much better than the films in the long term since there is more opportunity to better develop the characters and narrative, but it's not like Marvel is thinking Daredevil or Jessica Jones are better characters and more deserving of that treatment than Spider-Man or Iron Man. It has everything to do with the scale of the hero.

It just is how it is.

duckroll

The deal they made with Sony before the MCU one gave Marvel the animated & merchandising rights to Spider-Man, not live-action.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Sony gave up all television and merchandising rights to Spider-man because they only wanted to focus on making the most money out of the films. They were really dumb.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The deal they made with Sony before the MCU one gave Marvel the animated & merchandising rights to Spider-Man, not live-action.

Do you have a source that makes that distinction? All I've seen is the ign article where Greg Weisman says they "relinquished all television rights to Spider-man, including animation."

Neoxon

Nah, I'm pretty sure Sony gave up all television and merchandising rights to Spider-man because they only wanted to focus on making the most money out of the films. They were really dumb.

Do you have a source that makes that distinction? All I've seen is the ign article where Greg Weisman says they "relinquished all television rights to Spider-man, including animation."
I double-checked & live-action TV was also relinquished. My mistake.

Pachimari

Weren't they also planning a Runaways show?

I hope it's Inhumans though. I love them. And let them have seasons all the way up to the movie in 2019.

Man, we don't need 2 Shield shows, so please no to the "Real Shield".

J10

Banned
They do have the money, but they probably don't have the time and they just wouldn't get a return on it. You're gonna have to wait for him to appear in a movie if you want something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom