• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

It's supposed to start in a week, but it might've been pushed back a little.
You're the one bringing forth the Dr Strange production thread in a week?

After the somewhat disappointing Age of Ultron, I can't wait for Ant-Man, Civil War and Dr Strange.

TDLink

I don't think Doctor Strange starts production until November, but I may remembering wrong. Civil War is the one that's starting production in like a week.

Quick

Banned
You're the one bringing forth the Dr Strange production thread in a week?

After the somewhat disappointing Age of Ultron, I can't wait for Ant-Man, Civil War and Dr Strange.

I thought me making a Dr. Strange Production thread was a joke. lol

I'll do it if no one wants to, or help out. But I'd just get carried away and basically end up making an OT-style Production thread. :p

I don't think Doctor Strange starts production until November, but I may remembering wrong. Civil War is the one that's starting production in like a week.

I think they pushed Dr. Strange back, but initial reports from way back had it starting next week.

PS: I've been a little busy the past week, so I haven't had a chance to work on the thread updates, but I'll get back to it later tonight. :)

TDLink

I think they pushed Dr. Strange back, but initial reports from way back had it starting next week.

PS: I've been a little busy the past week, so I haven't had a chance to work on the thread updates, but I'll get back to it later tonight. :)

Makes sense. And yeah no sweat, I've been super busy too and it isn't really letting up this week. There's no real rush anyways though.

Gun Animal

What are we expecting in terms of Phase 4?

-Namor
-GOTG 3
-Black Panther 2
-Runaways
-Doctor Strange 2
-Illuminati (sans Richards and Xavier)
-Thunderbolts

something like this?? Considering that they're adapting Strange, Black Panther AND Inhumans, it really seems like they're planning on doing some kind of Illuminati storyline for Phase 4.

Pachimari

Did Marvel get back the rights to Namor already?

I expect at least Dr Strange 2, The Spectacular Spider-Man 2, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, The Spectacular Spider-Man 3, Avengers 4 and probably a Runaways or Black Widow movie.

I hope for more new properties though. What about Nova?

Neoxon

Did Marvel get back the rights to Namor already?

I expect at least Dr Strange 2, The Spectacular Spider-Man 2, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, The Spectacular Spider-Man 3, Avengers 4 and probably a Runaways or Black Widow movie.

I hope for more new properties though. What about Nova?
If we get a new property in Phase 4, it'll probably be Nova (with Richie). But I'm not sure if they'd do 2 Spider-Man films in one phase (unless it turns out to be Iron Man levels of popular).

You also left out Ant-Man 2, just in case the first one is a hit.

TDLink

What are we expecting in terms of Phase 4?

-Namor
-GOTG 3
-Black Panther 2
-Runaways
-Doctor Strange 2
-Illuminati (sans Richards and Xavier)
-Thunderbolts

something like this?? Considering that they're adapting Strange, Black Panther AND Inhumans, it really seems like they're planning on doing some kind of Illuminati storyline for Phase 4.

I think it's way too early to predict this. Phase 3 hasn't even started yet. We'll probably have a better idea in a couple years (2017) after Civil War, Strange, GOTG 2, and Ragnarok. Too many new characters are getting solo films too for them all to have a sequel in Phase 4 (Ant Man, Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Inhumans). I would bet on GotG 3...but that's about it right now.

Pachimari

As excited as I am about Ant-Man, I really don't think they'll go ahead with more solo movies for him but you never know.

And I thought Sony wanted Marvel to do a Spidey movie every second year, of was that just speculation?

Neoxon

I think it's way too early to predict this. Phase 3 hasn't even started yet. We'll probably have a better idea in a couple years (2017) after Civil War, Strange, GOTG 2, and Ragnarok. Too many new characters are getting solo films too for them all to have a sequel in Phase 4 (Ant Man, Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Inhumans). I would bet on GotG 3...but that's about it right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel has ideas going for certain sequels, but are waiting for them to prove themselves in their first outing before committing to a sequel. In the case of Ant-Man, I have a feeling it'll be bigger than most expect. Maybe not Avengers money, but somewhere around Thor 2 or Cap 2 money (possibly Guardians money).

TDLink

As excited as I am about Ant-Man, I really don't think they'll go ahead with more solo movies for him but you never know.

And I thought Sony wanted Marvel to do a Spidey movie every second year, of was that just speculation?

With Ant Man it really depends on how the film does, how Marvel wants to use the character going forward (especially in Civil War and the Infinity Wars) and audience reaction to the character, I would imagine.

For Spider-man it really depends on what kind of deal it is. Right now we know he's basically a lock for Civil War, the Infinity Wars, and his solo movie in 2017. But what beyond that? With the rumours that Sony isn't abandoning their spider-verse plans (which don't involve Marvel), how does that affect things? Too many unanswered questions like that right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel has ideas going for certain sequels, but are waiting for them to prove themselves in their first outing before committing to a sequel. In the case of Ant-Man, I have a feeling it'll be bigger than most expect. Maybe not Avengers money, but somewhere around Thor 2 or Cap 2 money (possibly Guardians money).

Well yeah I'm sure they have ideas for all of them, but I also don't think they'll do all of them. It really depends which characters they decide deserve to have more solo films (and their own solo film arc) and who they are fine with relegating purely for the big crossover films or appearances in others' "solo" films (like Hulk).

Pachimari

Yeah. The only thing we can do is speculate. There's nothing to go on when it comes to Phase 4.

Do anyone have a list of how well all of the MCU movies did on the box office?

Neoxon

With Ant Man it really depends on how the film does, how Marvel wants to use the character going forward (especially in Civil War and the Infinity Wars) and audience reaction to the character, I would imagine.

For Spider-man it really depends on what kind of deal it is. Right now we know he's basically a lock for Civil War, the Infinity Wars, and his solo movie in 2017. But what beyond that? With the rumours that Sony isn't abandoning their spider-verse plans (which don't involve Marvel), how does that affect things? Too many unanswered questions like that right now.
Sony's basically just saying that to save face. Could Sony override anything Marvel says, legally they can. But given the situation Sony got themselves into, it'd be in their best interest to listen to Marvel Studios. Going by that, their Spider-Verse plans likely aren't going anywhere but to the Cancerverse (unless Marvel sees potential in something like the Sinister Six).

Pachimari

I really don't think Sony is gonna go ahead with their Spider-Verse. Rather, they'll focus on their animated Spidey movie for 2018 and probably make a separate universe that way.

Neoxon

I really don't think Sony is gonna go ahead with their Spider-Verse. Rather, they'll focus on their animated Spidey movie for 2018 and probably make a separate universe that way.
I think that's why they're doing the animated film. Sony knows Marvel's gonna keep their asses in check as far as live-action Spidey goes, so an animated film universe is their Plan B so they can fuck up as much as they want without causing too much damage to MCU Spidey & effectively pissing off Marvel.

TDLink

Sony's basically just saying that to save face. Could Sony override anything Marvel says, legally they can. But given the situation Sony got themselves into, it'd be in their best interest to listen to Marvel Studios. Going by that, their Spider-Verse plans likely aren't going anywhere but to the Cancerverse (unless Marvel sees potential in something like the Sinister Six).

Well we know at the very least they are doing that animated spidey film. As a feature film release, it is still going to affect things like how the public reacts to the character. We don't know if it is the same version of the character or in the same continuity and how that is going to change things (if any). We also still don't know exactly how often Marvel can use spider-man, how often Sony wants them to use him, or how often Marvel wants to use him. If these factors are at odds it can also create problems.

Neoxon

Well we know at the very least they are doing that animated spidey film. As a feature film release, it is still going to affect things like how the public reacts to the character. We don't know if it is the same version of the character or in the same continuity and how that is going to change things (if any). We also still don't know exactly how often Marvel can use spider-man, how often Sony wants them to use him, or how often Marvel wants to use him. If these factors are at odds it can also create problems.
This is Kevin Feige we're talking about. He'd be the last person to leave oversights like that. He probably planned for every scenario (for at least up to 5 years, if I recall correctly) with room to renegotiate. Put it this way, integrating Spider-Man concepts into the MCU is basically advertising for the Spidey movies that Sony gets the money for. So long as they let Marvel do the bulk of the work, it's a win-win situation.

TDLink

This is Kevin Feige we're talking about. He'd be the last person to leave oversights like that. He probably planned for every scenario (for at least up to 5 years, if I recall correctly) with room to renegotiate. Put it this way, integrating Spider-Man concepts into the MCU is basically advertising for the Spidey movies that Sony gets the money for. So long as they let Marvel do the bulk of the work, it's a win-win situation.

You don't need to explain it to me, I am well aware. I just don't think we can expect anything with 100% certainty, and Spider-man especially has a lot of legal strings involved.

Neoxon

You don't need to explain it to me, I am well aware. I just don't think we can expect anything with 100% certainty, and Spider-man especially has a lot of legal strings involved.
Fair enough. Though from a logical standpoint, Feige wouldn't have made this deal if he thought that Sony could fuck up the MCU. While I can understand your concerns, I don't think we need to worry too much at the moment.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I need scenes like these if we ever get Namor in the MCU (from Daredevil #7):

bR9Y3Gt.jpg

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'd prefer Namor to make his MCU debut as a Black Panther villain. I think he's most interesting as a rival than he is on his own.
Yeah. Stick him in other properties, even if it's just a cameo here and there on occasion. I think too much of him (read: a solo movie) would be too much of a good thing. We don't need another Coulson.

Gun Animal

I don't expect every new IP to get a sequel, only the ones that are successful. That's why I omitted Ant-Man 2, Inhumans 2 and Captain Marvel 2, as I don't expect any of those to do well enough to get a sequel. Black Panther and Doctor Strange are both 50/50, but then nobody expected GOTG to do close to the numbers it did so we'll see.

Good point, I completely forgot about Spider-Man. Maybe something like this then:

2020: MCU Spider-Man 2, Namor, GOTG 3
2021: Runaways, Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2
2022: Illuminati, Thunderbolts, MCU Spider-Man 3

I omitted Thor, Cap, Iron Man etc. because it seems like Marvel has the good sense not to push a single franchise past three films, but I could be wrong what with the Iron Man prequel rumors... I'd love to see a Planet Hulk movie but we know those rumors were false. Gunn already said he wanted to do Thunderbolts, Feige already said he wanted Runaways to happen and Namor and Illuminati seem like givens at this point because of Black Panther and Doctor Strange.

TDLink

Namor and "Iluminati" definitely are not givens considering rights issues. And while Feige has said he wants to do Runaways in the past (and it very nearly happened) there has been no indication that it is still in the cards at any point in the future. Gunn did say he wants to do Thunderbolts, and he may get his wish, but that's completely up to Marvel's other plans. I imagine they'd want him to do a GotG 3 first...probably. But we'll see.

I'm all for speculation, but when we literally have nothing to go on right now speculation 5+ years in the future seems kinda pointless.

I'd rather speculate as to what is going to happen in the films we already know about. Especially what is going to go on in Doctor Strange and how Civil War is going to shake out (obviously Cap is positioned as the protagonist). I also wonder if we will get established characters (other than the title ones) in Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Thor Ragnarok since we're getting a ton in Cap: Civil War.

Gun Animal

Namor and "Iluminati" definitely are not givens considering rights issues. And while Feige has said he wants to do Runaways in the past (and it very nearly happened) there has been no indication that it is still in the cards at any point in the future. Gunn did say he wants to do Thunderbolts, and he may get his wish, but that's completely up to Marvel's other plans. I imagine they'd want him to do a GotG 3 first...probably. But we'll see.

Wow, I had no idea Universal owned the rights to Namor... That's really too bad, Namor is a fun character. Gunn could do both, but I wonder if he'd want to stick around for four+ marvel movies.

I'm all for speculation, but when we literally have nothing to go on right now speculation 5+ years in the future seems kinda pointless.

To be fair, speculating about plot details in upcoming movies is already kinda pointless, except that it's interesting to talk about. It's fun to discuss theories and then find out how close you were to the truth in retrospect. That's the point, right?

I'd rather speculate as to what is going to happen in the films we already know about. Especially what is going to go on in Doctor Strange and how Civil War is going to shake out (obviously Cap is positioned as the protagonist). I also wonder if we will get established characters (other than the title ones) in Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Thor Ragnarok since we're getting a ton in Cap: Civil War.

That's fair. Do you think Thor: Ragnarok will actually have the character Ragnarok as the antagonist, or do you think the title is unrelated to that character? How will they make the Character Ragnarok work without Stark and Richards building him to replace Thor? Maybe someone uses the Soul stone to create a Thor doppleganger??? Would Hemmsworth play both parts??? Man, that's gonna be some shit.

TDLink

That's fair. Do you think Thor: Ragnarok will actually have the character Ragnarok as the antagonist, or do you think the title is unrelated to that character? How will they make the Character Ragnarok work without Stark and Richards building him to replace Thor? Maybe someone uses the Soul stone to create a Thor doppleganger??? Would Hemmsworth play both parts??? Man, that's gonna be some shit.

I think Thor: Ragnarok is going to be about the Ragnarok event (from Norse mythology...and the comics) rather than the Thor clone. Ie, I expect the primary antagonist to be Surtur. I am guessing that something Loki does causes it to happen...and obviously he gets in over his head and needs Thor's help. Or something like that.

Gun Animal

I think Thor: Ragnarok is going to be about the Ragnarok event (from Norse mythology...and the comics) rather than the Thor clone. Ie, I expect the primary antagonist to be Surtur. I am guessing that something Loki does causes it to happen...and obviously he gets in over his head and needs Thor's help. Or something like that.

Oh yeah, I know there's a Ragnarok in norse mythology but I didn't think it had ever actually happened in the comics. Surtur seems like a boring villain, but that would just give Loki more room to shine like in the Dark World which I'm all for.

So the reality, mind, space and energy stones are probably where they're gonna stay until Infinity War, but where do we think the other two are gonna show up? I know it's not gonna be Civil War... or at least I hope not. Probably not Black Panther or Captain Marvel either, since both of those come out after Infinity War part 1.

eastx

Oh yeah, I know there's a Ragnarok in norse mythology but I didn't think it had ever actually happened in the comics. Surtur seems like a boring villain, but that would just give Loki more room to shine like in the Dark World which I'm all for.

Ragnarok has happened at least once in the comics so far - maybe even more. The time I'm familiar with was "Thor Disassembled," Thor's part in "Avengers Disassembled."

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

In the phase 3 announcement Feige describes Ragnarok as the "end of all things" and says its a very important movie, so I'm fairly sure it's the event and not the clone. It's the Winter Solider of Phase 3.

TDLink

Feige did say all of those things, but it still hasn't been confirmed that is exactly what the film will be.

But I'm not disagreeing, I expect it to be about that.

As far as the other stones, I think one showing up in Doctor Strange is a lock. The other is a toss up between Ragnarok and GotG 2.

They could drop out. They could drop out right after the money-producing goliath that will be an Avengers film advertised via massive posters with Spidey, Iron Man, and Cap together. In terms of Spider-Verse, they've had the same Venom spinoff in the works for like a decade. It's not going to happen, especially if we take it as a given that Avengers 3 is going to make both Sony and Marvel rich(er) men.

They aren't gonna. But it's fun to imagine.

I remember watching this as a kid, so fucking dull. Never made it through the whole film. That cinematography... yikes.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I remember watching this as a kid, so fucking dull. Never made it through the whole film. That cinematography... yikes.

Different strokes 😏 This Hulk is still my favorite of all the current/modern comic book movies. It had its off moments, but as a whole, it was pretty much just what I want from the genre.

Then again, my absolute favorites are The Shadow and Beatty's Dick Tracy adaptation. I like these movies to capture a more exaggerated style on screen, not fit into a real world aesthetic.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'd prefer Namor to make his MCU debut as a Black Panther villain. I think he's most interesting as a rival than he is on his own.

Mark Ruffalo said that the fact that Universal owns the film distribution rights to Hulk is what is preventing a standalone Hulk film. I imagine the same situation exists for Namor.

Though I could see him appearing in a Black Panther film.

I reckon in Avengers 3 rather than the "cannon fodder" (or as well as) we'll get Thanos resurrecting some MCU Villains to form "Anti-Avengers".

Loki, Ronan, and Red Skull?

TDLink

I reckon in Avengers 3 rather than the "cannon fodder" (or as well as) we'll get Thanos resurrecting some MCU Villains to form "Anti-Avengers".

Loki, Ronan, and Red Skull?

Loki is for sure not dead (at least not yet) and Red Skull is also probably not dead considering what happened at the end of The First Avenger.

I could see Thanos resurrecting some people though. Ronan makes some sense, although he did double cross Thanos specifically so it's hard to say if he'd want to do that.

Loki is for sure not dead (at least not yet) and Red Skull is also probably not dead considering what happened at the end of The First Avenger.

I could see Thanos resurrecting some people though. Ronan makes some sense, although he did double cross Thanos specifically so it's hard to say if he'd want to do that.

Thanos seems like the kind of guy that would bring somebody who screwed him over back from death and make them a slave to do his bidding. But honestly, we haven't had Masters of Evil yet. I suppose we can have potentially whoever the Dr. Strange villain is too, since I imagine their power level will be high...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

You make Feige sound like a real-life Nick Fury =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom