• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just learned that Doc Samson was also introduced in Incredible Hulk.
I am so depressed now that this lead to nothing.
It's even more depressing that in the same movie this dude:

Is supposed to be Amadeus Cho.

Although there's still hope since Helen Cho is a Korean woman in AoU.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It's even more depressing that in the same movie this dude:

Is supposed to be Amadeus Cho.

Although there's still hope since Helen Cho is a Korean woman in AoU.

That was only revealed in the novelization. It's not even worth bringing up.

It's weird how The Hulk hasn't really been nailed in a solo movie. There's Peter David's decade long run which goes against many of the typical monster tropes Hulk is pigeon holed into they can take inspiration from The Split personality disorder stuff (Joe Fixit, The Professor, Maestro,) etc. Planet Hulk isn't the old good Hulk story they can adapt.

I feel like the Avengers movies just play the character safe and haven't really expanded on him like they should if I remember correctly Ruffalo stated that Banner knew he'd never be able to hold back the Hulk and eventually he'd lose the ability to turn back. He also stated they'd go into how the Hulk felt about being trapped by Banner. I was surprised none of that made the Age of Ultron cut. Who knows maybe it was moved to Raganok.

guek

Banned
I think Hulk was just unfortunate. Bill Bixby's Hulk show in the 70s/80s did a lot more with the character than we've gotten in film so far, and much of it resonated with audiences. We know the character can work outside of a comicbook.

But when Ang Lee took a shot at it, he went all avant garde when it really wasn't warranted.

And then when they tried it again with The Incredible Hulk, Marvel Studies was still pretty green (heh). Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were two distinctly different approaches to movies for them. Iron Man was an action adventure whereas TIH was structured more as a monster film. The problem was, TIH was decidedly mediocre. It took very few chances, most notably within the genre they were trying to occupy. While not horrible, it felt safe and tame instead of fresh and exciting like Iron Man. So they scrapped that direction entirely and the entire MCU was built on Iron Man as the cornerstone.

Now Marvel is spooked and convinced Hulk doesn't work in a solo film when in reality their previous efforts just plain didn't work because they weren't great films to begin with.

Wow that's a pretty good summary hopefully marvel figures out the right approach for his film. I was thinking if they could do a Joe Fixit lead movie and marvel can make their first gangster genre film inspired by the Peter David run. Joe Fixits time as a gangsters bodyguard was pretty fun and they could tie into Kingpin or any other criminal organizations introduced (The Hand). A hulk that loves his own life seperate from Banner would be a nice change of pace and could lead to The Professor.

Busaiku

Question for anyone who bought the Phase One set recently (last few weeks to month or so).
Are the digital codes still valid?

Quick

Banned
First bit of Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 casting:

Note that it's for a "key role".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/pom-klementieff-guardians-galaxy-2-835183

Marvel conducted a wide search for its mystery part, which called for an Asian actress, doing several rounds of chemistry reads.
Relative unknown Pom Klementieff has nabbed one of the new key roles in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

The sequel to 2014’s surprise hit that grossed $774 million sees most of the cast returning, including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, and voice stars Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel.

James Gunn is also back as director and writer for the follow-up, which has a release date of Mat 5, 2017. Shooting to due to start in early 2016.

Marvel conducted a wide search for its mystery part, which called for an Asian actress, and did several rounds of chemistry reads.

The role is a big break for Klementieff, who has mostly worked in France. She did, however, appear in Spike Lee’s recent remake of Japanese thriller Oldboy in a role that demanded physicality and martial arts. Oldboy was her entree into American and English-language movies.

Klementieff is repped by Untitled.

jph139

Yeah, that's gotta be Mantis - I can't imagine them specifying an Asian actress for Moondragon or Phyla-Vell. Can't wait to see how she translates on screen.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
But what about Bug?

And more Cosmo plz

And Nova. Get Jake Gyllenhaal as Nova.
Gunn said that Marvel doesn't own the movie rights to Bug, so they can't use him.

The character is attached to the Micronauts because he debuted in that title. I believe the Micronauts movie rights are still with J. J. Abrams, but I'm not sure.

Penguin

Yeah I'm sure it would have been great, just like all the other amazing and iconic villains in the MCU from amazing actors like Mickey Rourke, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Eccleston, Lee Pace, and James Spader. Oh. Wait. :p

This would have been the break-out one!

I don't know, it seems to be easy money, but seems like no real increase to an actor's rep for playing a villain.

tomtom94

Yeah I'm sure it would have been great, just like all the other amazing and iconic villains in the MCU from amazing actors like Mickey Rourke, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Eccleston, Lee Pace, and James Spader. Oh. Wait. :p

I maintain that Red Skull is probably my favourite MCU villain due in no small part to Weaving's performance.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
While I'm not going to argue that they're iconic, I certainly can remember the characters Rourke and Weaving played. I remember The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 but I barely recall the guy who pulled The Mandarin's strings. Loki, of course, is memorable. Ultron is memorable even if he's a bit of a chump by the end of Avengers 2.

I don't remember anything about the bad guys in GotG or Thor 2, though.

[edit] And while I just saw Ant-Man a couple months ago, I don't remember much about that villain. Generic white dude in a suit who had his own Ant-Man armor or whatever? Wanted to sell the tech for lots of money to the highest bidder? I dunno.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I wonder which Mantis we'll get: Barefoot, kung fu hooker Mantis, or diet Gamora Mantis? Either are fun as fuck.

IHaveIce

Banned
Mantis is great news.

Though I wonder which Villian it should be that was passed by Matt....

The one who knows? Or Adam Warlock/Magus?

Apparently, Dr. Strange is shooting in Mumbai and somewhere in Africa, in addition to London and New York.

(Heard this from someone at a party who's freelancing on the film; take it with a grain of salt.)

Quick

Banned
It looks like they're setting up to have Miles in there at some point, if they're pulling from Ultmate Marvel.

Not that I don't want to see Miles, but it seems far-fetched to think they're setting him up, purely on the notion that Marvel is pulling material or inspiration from Ultimate Spider-Man.

TDLink

I'm fine with the casting, just wish the additional Guardian was Phyla-Vell.

I'm happy it's Mantis instead. She's not only a better character but also an original Guardian who is pretty important to the team. It was a bit surprising she wasn't in the first film. She's great.

Phyla is only okay by comparison...plus with her you have to introduce the whole Quasar thing. I hope they start with Wendell Vaughn via Richard Rider and ease her in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom