• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
World ain't ready.

Now, is Taskmaster a mutant, a powered individual, or just a dude with a weird skill?

I've always been spotty on how his "photographic reflexes" ability works.

iirc, he has a freak skill but no actual powers.

I have no idea what kind of retcons have been made since I last checked though.

iirc, he has a freak skill but no actual powers.

I have no idea what kind of retcons have been made since I last checked though.
See, that's what I thought

Here's the Marvel Wiki entry:
The Taskmaster acquired his abilities after ingested a "mnemonic primer", a chemical serum which altered his brain chemistry to make him hypercognitive in the area of skill observation and retention.

Photographic Reflexes: The Taskmaster's only superhuman abilities were that of his photographic reflexes. He was able to duplicate almost any physical act he sees after seeing it done by someone else only once. Taskmaster can use this ability to master complex gymnastics routines and play difficult pieces of music. However, he typically prefers to use this ability to copy the combat skills, both armed and unarmed, of costumed crime-fighters and expert martial artists from around the world, typically seen through watching videos of them in combat situations. He can also copy the subtle muscle movements of others so precisely that he can at times do things such as copying another persons voice so precisely as to fool voice recognition software.

Near-Superhuman Mimicry: Due to these reflexes, he can do things which border on superpowers. For instance Taskmaster has discovered that after watching martial arts movies on fast-forward he is able to briefly duplicate the moves at a greatly increased velocity, effectively giving him a limited form of super-speed. However, as he does not have any sort of enhanced endurance, this puts a great strain on his body and he is only able to fight in this manner for short periods of time.

Physical Movement Prediction: He can also do things such as figuring out the sleight of hand techniques of a master poker cheater simply by watching them.[citation needed] He has often shown the ability to actually predict an opponent's next move before they make it if he has studied their fighting style enough. Opponents who are skilled at improvisational fighting styles, or who have a more random unpredictable style are less likely to have their moves predicted by Taskmaster.

It was hinted during the Siege that he was below Class 50.

Abilities

Olympic-Level Conditioning: The Taskmaster was an Olympic-level athlete and was possibly among the most formidable armed and unarmed combatants in the world.

Expert Tactician: Taskmaster is a master strategist and tactician (seen particularly in combat with Iron Man and against both Captain Americas during the Siege of Asgard).

Other Skills: Taskmaster learned meditation techniques in Tibet, he also claims to have learned forensic methods from CIA Agents and Mossad Operatives.

Fighting Styles Studied Characters: Taskmaster learned personal styles of these individuals from watching videos or from combat: Ant Man, Batroc, Black Widow, Boomerang, Bushwacker, Blacklash, Black Knight, Black Panther, Captain America, Genis-Vell, Cable, Crossbones, Daredevil, Deadpool, Elektra, Falcon, Fatale, Firestar, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Justice, Libra, Machete, Moon Knight, Oddball, Power Man, Puma, Punisher, Razorfist, Shockwave, Silverclaw, Silver Samurai, Spider-Man, Shatterstar, Swordsman, Tigra, Tumbler, US Agent, Warbird, Wolverine and Zaran.

Strength level
The Taskmaster possessed the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise. The Taskmaster was strong enough to lift at least twice his body-weight, meaning he was able to lift at least 440 lbs.

Weaknesses
The Taskmaster is not capable of duplicating a physical feat if the effort to do so requires superhuman effort. For instance, while he could view an opponent lifting a car, he could not do so because his body can't duplicate the superhuman strength required to do so. In the same way, he cannot duplicate any energy manipulating or projecting capabilities for the same reasons.

His abilities are also limited in that they did not grant him an innate understanding of underlying disciplines. For example, as a child, he nearly drowned after imitating a dive because while he was able to mimic the dive, he did not know how to swim. Because of this, he has a fear of drowning.

Taskmaster was unable to copy the moves of Alex Hayden for unknown reasons.

When Taskmaster copies something new, it pushes old memories out of his brain in a form of amnesia.

I can't believe we got the costume reveal for Doctor Strange, a movie that comes out almost at the end of 2016, before they revealed Spidey in a movie that comes out in like 5 months.

I'm dying over here wtf when do we get to see himmmmmm

curb

Banned
I can't believe we got the costume reveal for Doctor Strange, a movie that comes out almost at the end of 2016, before they revealed Spidey in a movie that comes out in like 5 months.

I'm dying over here wtf when do we get to see himmmmmm

When the movie opens.

curb

Banned
If they manage to keep him a secret until the day the movie opens, then that is... mind boggling.

I was joking more than anything. I can't see Marvel marketing holding that back if the Age of Ultron trailers are any indication. They showed Vision right before the movie opens though so we might be waiting until very close to opening weekend before we do see Spidey.

The Kree

Banned
I was joking more than anything. I can't see Marvel marketing holding that back if the Age of Ultron trailers are any indication. They showed Vision right before the movie opens though so we might be waiting until very close to opening weekend before we do see Spidey.

They'll reveal him around March to deflate the Beavis hype a little bit.

is this allowed here? it's from the latest entertainment weekly
OmOFse5.jpg

I believe Vision was not shown in the Ultron trailers because his CG was not in a proper state. It's the same reason he's not in any of the civil war stuff too. It's the same reason for the lack of Giant Man IMO.

As I said prior in this thread, Vision is flying under everyone's radar and I think he'll be a major factor in civil war. He will learn love from Wanda and he will switch sides from Tony to Steve, or at least be the voice of reason/peacemaker. Mark my words!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=129391

Supposedly, there's some new Black Panther info in the latest issue of Empire:

“The one is important,” said Feige of the Black Panther movie, which will be the last “Phase Three” movie before Marvel’s two-part Avengers: Infinity War event. “Not only do you get an unbelievable lead character, but you also get all of Wakanda which is a whole new setting and culture to explore.” And while Creed director Ryan Coogler is in line to direct, Kevin Feige assures Black Panther will have a “primarily African-American cast.” As for what the movie will be about, the Marvel producer says, “It's a big geo-political action adventure that focuses on the family and royal struggle of T'Challa in Wakanda, and what is means to be a king. T'Challa's story is very important to us as it links to the next Avengers films, which is why we brought it forward.”

So is Coogler confirmed to direct?

tomtom94

So is Coogler confirmed to direct?
I think Coogler is in the same boat as Waihiti is for Ragnarok which is they're both "in negotiations" but it's a case of the negotiations are expected to go through and it's mostly just formalities and the specific details that need to be worked out.

Pachimari

Just him saying it'll be a geo-political action adventure sounds intriguing and exciting. And T'Challa's story links to Infinity War, interesting.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Kevin Feige with more Phase 3 updates:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=129392

About the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel, which starts shooting in February, Feige reassures that we can expect the roster to expand. “There've been many different incarnations of the Guardians over the years in the comics and we'll catch a glimpse of additions over the course of the movie,” he said. The Marvel producer failed to reveal the villain of Volume 2, but confirmed we won’t see a certain mad titan. “I wouldn't look too hard in that movie for Thanos,” he said, before reassuring that we’ll eventually see the supervillain get off his ass. “The next time we see Thanos he will not be messing around. It was be, 'Oh, that's why they've been teasing this villain for five years!”

Regarding the new Spider-Man reboot, which hits theaters just a couple months after Guardians, Kevin Feige explained that a “smaller scale is all relative.” He continued, “It's going to be as big and spectacular a Spider-Man film as has ever been made. But it's a Peter Parker story and has more opportunity to be focused on the story of a 15-year-old kid going to high school.”

Kevin Feige then touched on Thor: Ragnarok and implied that, despite its subtitle, fans shouldn’t just assume the threequel will be about the Norse apocalyptic end of the world. “I don't think people will read into that title alone [regarding] what the movie's going to be,” he said. “It's going to be, perhaps, as totally different from the two prior Thor movies as Winter Soldier was from the first Captain America. We want to take it to new places, we've got new characters that will show how big we're swinging on this. And we have a Hulk.” Speaking of new places, the Marvel Studios head honcho then confirmed something that Thor fans have long desired: “The film takes place within the cosmos primarily which is to say, frankly, very little Earth.”

Neoxon

Less Earth in Thor 3 is a good thing, but I'm kinda sad that they aren't going with the original Ragnarök story. As for Spider-Man being a smaller-scale, focused movie, I'm more than down for that if it comes out anywhere near as good as Ant-Man. I'm also a bit surprised that we won't get Thanos in Guardians Vol. 2. One would think that he'd at least cameo.

shingi70

Banned
You'd think Thanos would start his build up by showing up in some capacity in every cosmic film.

I'm glad to hear John Ridley's project is still in the works.

Pachimari

Just received my Amazon-exclusive version of Agent Carter from the US branch and I'm disappointed. It comes in a sleeve case which I hate and most often just throw out. I should have gone with the Zavvi-exclusive steelbook. Oh well, it's fine, just not what I expected. :)

Skab

Finally got around to seeing Ant-Man, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not seeing it sooner. I really enjoyed it!

Also, am I crazy or could you totally see
Wasp when Scott goes sub-atomic? Like there's a flash of her silhouette as he's decending?

Finally got around to seeing Ant-Man, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not seeing it sooner. I really enjoyed it!

Also, am I crazy or could you totally see
Wasp when Scott goes sub-atomic? Like there's a flash of her silhouette as he's decending?

yeah and you can actually see that silhouette again when he is escaping the microverse

(This might still just be a rumor based on bad reporting)

Ryan Coogler will officially direct Black Panther with a mostly black cast

Marvel's upcoming Black Panther movie was pushed back to a 2018 release date this year, but details about the film are still slowly trickling out. In a recent interview with Empire Magazine, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige confirmed Creed's Ryan Coogler, who had been in talks to direct Black Panther, will now officially direct.

Feige also said the Black Panther character is important because of his influence on the upcoming Avengers films, Infinity War Parts 1 and 2. "Not only do you get an unbelievable lead character, but you also get all of Wakanda which is a whole new setting and culture to explore," Feige said, according to Polygon.

Feige also noted that the movie would feature a "majority black cast," although the only confirmed castmember so far is Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa. The movie is set for release on July 6th, 2018.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/31/...-movie-director-announced-marvel-ryan-coogler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom