• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Honestly, it's kind of hard to say whether or not it's totally for the best. I mean, not long after AoU came out (a movie Joss was open about not ending up the way he had planned it and that he had less control than normal), everything went to Feige. I always thought it was unfair that people blame Marvel for stifling any other director, but when it's Joss all the blame gets put on him. I see far too much "Marvel making sure that machine turns out the same movie and doesn't want directors to creatively express themselves," but then when it's Joss it's "OH MAN WHAT A SHIT DIRECTOR EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!

I agree wholeheartedly. The majority of the people who are vocal about blaming Whedon and only Whedon though were already haters and only used AoU to validate their biases. I'd argue Joss had a more difficult job with Avengers and AoU than any other blockbuster in recent memory. There were so many constraints, obligations, and people to answer to, it's a wonder they turned out as well as they did. I think the Russos will have a far easier job now that the committee is disbanded.

Nah, his writing is clever and funny overall, even if some jokes don't land.
The problem with Whedon's writing is that almost all the characters have the same "voice." You could swap most of his dialogue between characters and not be able to tell you changed anything since just about everyone is the same.
Whedon is a good idea man, but his dialogue makes me want to stab my ears with an ice pick.

However, when written, his dialogue comes across better. It is tolerable if you don't have to hear anyone speak it.

guek

Banned
The problem with Whedon's writing is that almost all the characters have the same "voice." You could swap most of his dialogue between characters and not be able to tell you changed anything since just about everyone is the same.
Whedon is a good idea man, but his dialogue makes me want to stab my ears with an ice pick.

However, when written, his dialogue comes across better. It is tolerable if you don't have to hear anyone speak it.
I think that's a valid criticism but not necessarily for all his characters. Unfortunately, his female characters tend to suffer from this the most. In the MCU specifically, Hawkeye and Banner also have that problem but Tony, Thor, Loki, and Steve not as much.

I think more than anything, he just plain doesn't work for some people even if his writing works for most. He's definitely got a voice that I can see as grating, though I enjoy him.

eastx

I had that problem with Age of Ultron. Pacing problems and unnecessary scenes aside, so many of the characters were ultra-quippy (including Ultron, sadly) that their personalities sort of blended together for me.

eastx

Ultron was not ultra-quippy. Watch the movie again, he makes a few jokes, that it.

More than I expect from the real character of Ultron, who was largely not represented in the film. Jokey semi-sympathetic Ultron doesn't go over well for me. It's fine that some other people like him better, of course.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

I agree with this. Whedon's dialogue style fits Tony the best, because his character is glib and snarky. However, I don't like how Cap is handled in the Avengers films compared to his solo outings.

Cap's "what was that??? U didn't finish!" In AOU was a bad line especially for him

Yeah cap had too many of those dumb cutesy lines. Which is a shame because his actual story about not being able to live the life he originally wanted for himself was good. But his dialogue was mostly shit and didn't really reflect it. Whedon writes Cap the best when he is acting like the one in charge, not just the butt end of a joke.

Pachimari

Not long until Agent Carter premieres. I'm curious but not excited. And then I'm March we're back to Agents of Shield, and by March 25 we welcome Daredevil back. I can binge it right before I go on vacation to the Philippines... Where I will watch Captain America: Civil War on the premiere April 27.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not long until Agent Carter premieres. I'm curious but not excited. And then I'm March we're back to Agents of Shield, and by March 25 we welcome Daredevil back. I can binge it right before I go on vacation to the Philippines... Where I will watch Captain America: Civil War on the premiere April 27.
Is Daredevil confirmed for this date?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.facebook.com/tammysmithcasting/posts/894387857296941

Casting call for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2?

CASTING for HANDSOME MEN - think
- Think GQ magazine, Model types…,
Handsome faces, good bone structure, some European looks, etc...
- AGES 18 to 55,
- 5’10 and over, size 36 to 44 jacket size max.
- Caucasian - blonde hair especially, but all hair colors may apply
- must be clean shaven or willing to be clean shaven if selected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------IMPORTANT NOTES----------------------------------
**This will film on Feb 18th, 25th, 26th, and 27th (all of those dates) -with a few fittings/make-up tests necessary as soon as Jan 11th**
** faces must be selected this week!
Pay rates - $100 for 8 hrs with OT after that, with an add'l $ bump for make-up applied, etc...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUBMIT TO: Guardians2extras@tscasting.com
and put “GQ MEN” in the subject line
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS:
CURRENT, CLEAR, PHOTOS !!!
(one of from shoulders up and one from the knees up)
PLEASE also include a GOOD selfie, looking handsome,
as well as your professional/current photos.
Include at least 3 or 4 photos total, or more! Thank you!
Then please List the following:
First and Last NAME
PHONE NUMBER (s)
CITY & STATE where you live (where you will be coming from!)
Email address
Weight
Sizes:
Men: Jacket, collar, sleeve, waist, inseam, shoe
You MUST be LOCAL to the GREATER ATLANTA, GEORGIA AREA (or willing to work as a local hire)

eastx

I'm still happy that we're getting Mantis.

My only experience with Mantis is from Avengers: The Crossing, in which she was absolutely awful. But that whole book is legendarily bad, so I can't hold it against her too much. And looking her up online, it sounds like they later retconned it so that wasn't even the "real" Mantis.

kids4.jpg

obin_gam

My only experience with Mantis is from Avengers: The Crossing, in which she was absolutely awful. But that whole book is legendarily bad, so I can't hold it against her too much. And looking her up online, it sounds like they later retconned it so that wasn't even the "real" Mantis.

I'll assume they mean this mantis

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

kids4.jpg
lmao, look at her.

I suggest reading the Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord mini-series if you're curious about good Mantis. It fits into the whole Annihilation Conquest saga as the title implies, but it's an excellent self-contained 4 issues mini. It's the first showing of the modern GotG as a team too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is that Mantis giving Groot a spray down?

Should I be ashamed that the first thought that came to my head based on Groot's pose was "slower, you slut"?

My first thought was "Oh no! She's spraying weed killer on Groot! Assassin!"

LaNaranja

I agree wholeheartedly. The majority of the people who are vocal about blaming Whedon and only Whedon though were already haters and only used AoU to validate their biases. I'd argue Joss had a more difficult job with Avengers and AoU than any other blockbuster in recent memory. There were so many constraints, obligations, and people to answer to, it's a wonder they turned out as well as they did. I think the Russos will have a far easier job now that the committee is disbanded.

Didn't Joss want to add Spider-Man and Captain Marvel to the New Avengers at the end of AoU? That would have been too random and out of nowhere without any prior introduction. If anything the dude needs an even tighter leash, especially for killing Pietro. It would have been great to see him in Civil War and he would have made Caps team pretty much even with Starks. :/

Skab

Didn't Joss want to add Spider-Man and Captain Marvel to the New Avengers at the end of AoU? That would have been too random and out of nowhere without any prior introduction. If anything the dude needs an even tighter leash, especially for killing Pietro. It would have been great to see him in Civil War and he would have made Caps team pretty much even with Starks. :/

A very very early script had Captain Marvel there. I believe Joss was one of the ones who decided against it.

Neoxon

James Gunn's going hard with GotG Vol. 2, judging by him using a RED 8K Digital Camera for the film. While I'll miss the film-based camera used for the first movie, you gotta appreciate that Gunn & Marvel are getting the cinematographers some cutting-edge tech for Vol. 2.
Today, RED Digital Cinema announced that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be the first production shooting on WEAPON outfitted with the ground-breaking 8K RED DRAGON® sensor. Joining the WEAPON 6K, SCARLET-W 5K, and RED RAVEN™ 4.5K in RED’s latest generation DSMC2™ line of cameras, the WEAPON 8K once again pushes the envelope of modularity, image quality, and form factor. “I cannot even begin to express how proud I am that Marvel and everyone involved in the production has decided to be the first to shoot on our WEAPON 8K,” says Jarred Land, President of RED Digital Cinema. “Given the enormous success of the first movie, we know first-hand how critical their team was in selecting a camera for the second installment. We consider this a huge affirmation that RED’s investment in cutting edge technology continues to be justified.” “We are all hugely excited to be shooting the next Guardians of the Galaxy on the new WEAPON 8K. This is my third collaboration with RED, having previously shot with the RED EPIC® on Prometheus and the EPIC DRAGON on Tarzan,” says Nik Korda, Executive Producer. “The large sensor size and super high resolution offered by the new WEAPON 8K, combined with its lightweight and compact size open up a whole range of new creative possibilities.” WEAPON 8K captures 8K at 75 frames per second (fps), 6K at 100 fps, or 4K at 150 fps with REDCODE® RAW; and its wide dynamic range produces cinema-quality images rich with natural color. Additionally, WEAPON 8K features interchangeable lens mounts, an intelligent OLPF system, and in-camera 3D-LUT outputs. “RED’s 8K WEAPON is the little big camera. Perfectly counterintuitive. And perfect for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2,” says Henry Braham, BSC, Director of Photography.

guek

Banned

There was an ending scene filmed with Pietro surviving. It's impossible to say how much corporate mandate was involved with the decision to kill him off, especially considering Fox will continue to use the character as well.

eastx

The red they are using is fine. And I say this as a fan of his original red suit in the comics.

The mask still looks terrible though.

The dull maroon you mean? It's about as red as pink is red. Agreed the mask is the biggest problem though. And the black sections still aren't doing it any real favors.

Pachimari

The dull maroon you mean? It's about as red as pink is red. Agreed the mask is the biggest problem though. And the black sections still aren't doing it any real favors.

Yes, the maroon is fine for the show. And the black sections too are fine, but they gotta remove the black on the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom