• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel really should have done what DC has done with their TV and DCEU universes in the first place if they wanted to keep their shit separated from the beginning.
There's absolutely no point for Marvel to have their TV stuff part of the MCU either than to create hype and importance for TV so people would tune in.
What's even more lame is that Marvel is giving people false hope that one day their TV stuff will finally legitimately connect to the movies.
They should just stop fucking around and come out and confirm that the two mediums are never going to connect.

Im actually hoping the DC movie universe get tied to the tv universe via it being an alternate Earth.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Marvel really should have done what DC has done with their TV and DCEU universes in the first place if they wanted to keep their shit separated from the beginning.
There's absolutely no point for Marvel to have their TV stuff part of the MCU either than to create hype and importance for TV so people would tune in.
What's even more lame is that Marvel is giving people false hope that one day their TV stuff will finally legitimately connect to the movies.
They should just stop fucking around and come out and confirm that the two mediums are never going to connect.

If that were true then the Arrow would still be doing yearly suicide squad shows, the voice of Harley Quinn for the past 10 years would've been Harley Quinn on the Arrow and Flash, and Mark FUCKING HAMIL would be playing the Joker on the CW shows. This supposedly separate tv universe is still captive to the Film divisions plans so it doesnt matter they have the opposite of marvels problem and the end result the same for different reasons.
DC doesn't want money.

shingi70

Banned
If that were true then the Arrow would still be doing yearly suicide squad shows, the voice of Harley Quinn for the past 10 years would've been Harley Quinn on the Arrow and Flash, and Mark FUCKING HAMIL would be playing the Joker on the CW shows. This supposedly separate tv universe is still captive to the Film divisions plans so it doesnt matter they have the opposite of marvels problem and the end result the same for different reasons.
DC doesn't want money.

Why would Mark Hamill be playing the joker when the whole point was he played the trickster in the old flash tv show. Also Tara strong only did the coice for arrow, there was a separate actress playing her.

Both sides have ther ups and downs but flash and Arrow feel important in thier universes unlike say shield.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Why would Mark Hamill be playing the joker when the whole point was he played the trickster in the old flash tv show. Also Tara strong only did the coice for arrow, there was a separate actress playing her.

Both sides have ther ups and downs but flash and Arrow feel important in thier universes unlike say shield.

Keep telling yourself that, who would miss the Trickster ?

Who cares if I can get Joker and Harley Quinn in live action on tv?

Who in their right minds would fuck up that decision for the Suicide Squad episode and the Flash????????? We all know the circumstances with Hamil and Trickster but who would make that call in light of the opportunity that is present with those two WILLING and ready? Half a brain is all thats needed to make that assessment. I can't think of a fan would would pick a silhouette and a voiceover for Harley Quinn, and a big Fuck You be Trickster for the Joker.... over ...lets have these two play these characters in live action.... Who would do such a thing?

DC who doesn't want money.

shingi70

Banned
Keep telling yourself that, who would miss the Trickster ?

Who cares if I can get Joker and Harley Quinn in live action on tv?

Who in their right minds would fuck up that decision for the Suicide Squad episode and the Flash????????? We all know the circumstances with Hamil and Trickster but who would make that call in light of the opportunity that is present with those two WILLING and ready? Half a brain is all thats needed to make that assessment. I can't think of a fan would would pick a silhouette and a voiceover for Harley Quinn, and a big Fuck You be Trickster for the Joker.... over ...lets have these two play these characters in live action.... Who would do such a thing?

DC who doesn't want money.

Joker fucking sucks, regardless Hamill played the trickster first and it would have defeated the point of him coming back and not doing the trickster. It was his idea since he always wanted to do a live action rouges episode.

I think losing the Squad and Harley sucks but it isn't the end of world for me, considering it just means we get to see other DC characters who might not have seen the spotlight. But it rezlly is bullshot cpnsoderng Arrow and Gotham have overlapping characters.

eastx

Joker fucking sucks, regardless Hamill played the trickster first and it would have defeated the point of him coming back and not doing the trickster. It was his idea since he always wanted to do a live action rouges episode.

Mark Hamill's Joker doesn't suck - it's one of the best and most likable interpretations of the character. Much different from the current comics version or any other film version.

Yes, Hamill playing Trickster in The Flash was cool, but it would be no less cool to see him play the Joker in live-action. Not that I think they were ever really trying to make that happen, but it's a great idea.

Pachimari

It seems like their could be 67 main characters in Avengers: Infinity War according to the Russo brothers.

The Spider-Man hoodie merchandise has also leaked.

shingi70

Banned
Mark Hamill's Joker doesn't suck - it's one of the best and most likable interpretations of the character. Much different from the current comics version or any other film version.

Yes, Hamill playing Trickster in The Flash was cool, but it would be no less cool to see him play the Joker in live-action. Not that I think they were ever really trying to make that happen, but it's a great idea.

Mark Hamills Joker is Amazing, I'm just not the biggest fan of the Joker in general. He's not a bad villian but I find him a tad overused and not as interesting as say Riddler or Mr.freeze.

Hammill never playing a live action Joker sucks, but at least we have killing Joker for one last go.

Bleepey

But Thanos has been a major role in at least one of the films.

None of the superheroes are ever showing up in the TV shows. For not only budget reasons but because the two divisions want to keep shit separate.

Tom holland auditioned with Charlie Cox and Shane from the Walking Dead also it's in Chuck Cox's that he may do movie shit.

I think specific casting aside, Don has a point. DC is beholden to and hamstrung by the film division in a very similar yet different way than Marvel. Even with separate universes, they still can't use Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Joker, Harley, etc. They can't even acknowledge most of them. So what's the advantage at that point?

shingi70

Banned
I think specific casting aside, Don has a point. DC is beholden to and hamstrung by the film division in a very similar yet different way than Marvel. Even with separate universes, they still can't use Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Joker, Harley, etc. They can't even acknowledge most of them. So what's the advantage at that point?

Pushing characters that wouldn't get used otherwise, if no wonder woman or Aquaman means I get Maxima and Lagoon boy than as a fan i'm happy. Again as a company its probably dumb, but as a fan of B-listers it makes me happy.

Penguin

DC doesn't want money.

To jump in for a second, the advantage is having most of the DC universe at play.

I mean I get that there are some limitations... though a version of Superman exists in Supergirl.. and of course Bruce is on Gotham.

I think people look at what they are missing (and some of it I think is stupid), I mean The Trickster is a Flash villain, it makes a lot more sense to go with him than the Joker who realy has no relation to The Flash.

But looking at The Flash and Arrow and I guess Supergirl. Where we've gotten most of the Flash's rogues, we've had Deathstroke, Ra's al Ghul, we have had the Suicide Squad, King Shark, Gorilla Grodd, Anarky, Red Tornado, soon Toyman, Livewire and the list goes on... is still better than

We've had The Atom, Huntress, Black Canary, Vibe, Martian Manhunter, Arsenal, Amanda Waller, Katanna, Firestorm, etc etc

I mean yes they don't get EVERY toy in the chest, but clearly playing with a lot more toys than most MCU shows are allowed.

But more importantly than who they can and can't use, they aren't beholden to any story beats. Like I think most people would agree season one of AoS is rough, and part of that was them not being able to actually name and identity their big bad until 3/4th through the season so that it would align with The Winter Soldier.

jmood88

To jump in for a second, the advantage is having most of the DC universe at play.

I mean I get that there are some limitations... though a version of Superman exists in Supergirl.. and of course Bruce is on Gotham.

I think people look at what they are missing (and some of it I think is stupid), I mean The Trickster is a Flash villain, it makes a lot more sense to go with him than the Joker who realy has no relation to The Flash.

But looking at The Flash and Arrow and I guess Supergirl. Where we've gotten most of the Flash's rogues, we've had Deathstroke, Ra's al Ghul, we have had the Suicide Squad, King Shark, Gorilla Grodd, Anarky, Red Tornado, soon Toyman, Livewire and the list goes on... is still better than

We've had The Atom, Huntress, Black Canary, Vibe, Martian Manhunter, Arsenal, Amanda Waller, Katanna, Firestorm, etc etc

I mean yes they don't get EVERY toy in the chest, but clearly playing with a lot more toys than most MCU shows are allowed.
And there are just as many Marvel villains/characters showing up in Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones, except they're also allowed to reference things from the movies and use fallout from the movies as set-up for the shows.

Pushing characters that wouldn't get used otherwise, if no wonder woman or Aquaman means I get Maxima and Lagoon boy than as a fan i'm happy. Again as a company its probably dumb, but as a fan of B-listers it makes me happy.

Isn't that exactly what the Marvel shows are doing? Focusing on B-listers that will never get a proper showing in a movie?

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/phot...48103536156/10153101976621157/?type=1&theater

James Gunn said he wanted David Bowie to make cameo appearance in GOTG vol 2.
:'( He'd have been great as Star-Lord's father if you ignore the complete lack of genetic similarity. I can't escape the sadness in any thread can I?

I can see him as Silver Surfer too.

It seems like their could be 67 main characters in Avengers: Infinity War according to the Russo brothers.

The Spider-Man hoodie merchandise has also leaked

And you didn't provide an image becaaause....

As you probably already know, Merchoid has a listing for a Captain America: Civil War Spider-Man hoodie which comes with a description stating, "Ok, so here’s the deal: we have photos of the Spider-man hoodie coming very soon. We really, REALLY want to show it to you now, but we’re not allowed to just yet. Make sure you check back on the 15th January for your very first look!"

Spidey reveal incoming?

CYZ0k8GUQAEg742.jpg

shingi70

Banned
Isn't that exactly what the Marvel shows are doing? Focusing on B-listers that will never get a proper showing in a movie?

Have no probelm with it for Marvel either, the only difference is the B listers in the Arrowverse feel more important than the B listers in the MCU, which again isn't a bad thing and even makes sense.

Now if only they'd bring Deathlok back.

Pachimari

Russos on General Ross:

“And I think he's learned from his over-aggressiveness in that movie and he's become more of a politician. He's much savvier now. And he's cornering the Avengers [because] superheroes have always been a [problem] to him; he's not a fan of them.

No Red Hulk in Civil War.

About Spider-Man:

“He's doesn't have a huge investment politically, but he develops a very personal relationship while he picks his side. I won't talk about the personal relationship he develops, but it's very interesting. One of the most special parts of the movie.”

More in the video at vv.q.com.

Aceun

See I think for the Infinity War teaser they should just do quick flashes of all 67 characters (+ the more oncoming) followed by...

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

followed by a 10 second clip of Thanos taking on the Avengers, GOTG and a few street level heroes followed by....

May 4, 2018

GAMEPROFF

Banned
See I think for the Infinity War teaser they should just do quick flashes of all 67 characters (+ the more oncoming) followed by...

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

followed by a 10 second clip of Thanos taking on the Avengers, GOTG and a few street level heroes followed by....

May 4, 2018
One gaffer had the idea of the one 360 degree shot, only with Thanos in the middle and the storming legions of Marvel Heroes running towards him.

It has to happen

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/01/11/second-marvel-comedy-in-development-at-abc

SECOND MARVEL COMEDY IN DEVELOPMENT AT ABC

ABC is currently in development on a second Marvel comedy beyond the previously announced Damage Control.

Speaking with IGN at ABC's 2016 winter Television Critics Association press tour party, ABC Entertainment Group President Paul Lee revealed that his network has two Marvel comedies in development.

Damage Control will be a half-hour, single-camera sitcom about the people who clean up the messes left by superheroes battling in their city. Of Damage Control, Lee said, "That's the one that's going to be coming out this season. I haven't read it yet. I can't wait to see it. We hope it's going to be great."

Lee declined to share what the second comedy will be about, but did say "in the long term, we'd love it to be" on ABC. "We definitely want to do Marvel comedies as well as dramas and of course, as you know, we supply lots of dramas to Netflix," he said.

When asked if there was any concern over the fact NBC ordered a pilot for a half-hour DC Comics universe-set office comedy Powerless, Lee said, "Our job is to make great television. We pick up the best scripts we can, we put in the best casts. Our job is to make great TV."

DC doesn't want money.

its the opposite,
Imagine Arrow is Batman the tv series...

A year we are getting 20+ hours of Batman on tv, this means
- way more villains
-way more sidekicks
-more development time for all characters involved
- have a good amount of time to show Detective Batman

If you look at the Batman movies since 89 what is the only thing impossible to do on tv?
A big complicated Batmobile chase or vehicles like the Batwing.
That tiny thing is all you can't do on tv, heck they could still have a few Batmobile scenes by borrowing one of the 5 WB sends on tour or parks on the WB lot.

So with that in mind why would you pay $10+ to go see a regular 2hour Batman movie( teamups don't count.) every few years when weekly you get a decent fill of Batman.
Its the same for most of their characters, why get excited about movie Harley when(if) Arrow was killing it with her weekly.

Superman is a bit different as you can't really go all out with him on tv like a movie can so you really could get different experiences from tv and movie versions.

The no appearances/references at all thing is basically WB outdated mindset that its a risk to potential movie $$$(they even worried cartoon versions would hurt movies for a time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom