• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

ftfy

'03 Hulk is one of the best comic book flicks around.

I suppose that mathematically speaking, someone must think that. Me, I can live without a 30-foot tall Hulk, monster poodles, terrible editing, a less than faithful plot, and stupid tornado monster Nicholas Cage in my Hulk movies.

Anth0ny

Hulk is well known, but that didn't seem to translate into good box office numbers.

Hulk:

Budget $137 million
Box office $245,360,480

Fantastic Four 1:

Budget $100 million
Box office $330,579,719

Fantastic Four 2:

Budget $130 million
Box office $289,047,763

Low, but not low enough I guess. Hoping this new F4 does sub $250 million worldwide, can't see that happening, though =(

Hulk:

Budget $137 million
Box office $245,360,480

Fantastic Four 1:

Budget $100 million
Box office $330,579,719

Fantastic Four 2:

Budget $130 million
Box office $289,047,763

Low, but not low enough I guess. Hoping this new F4 does sub $250 million worldwide, can't see that happening, though =(

Did you read the leaked story details? I cant imagine any group of people that this movie would appeal to. Also the word of mouth on FF2 was so bad that has to have hurt this movie as well. I think FF3 is going to be a huge disaster. I just worry that Fox will hold onto the rights hoping that the X-men crossover movie will be huge no matter how badly they destroy the FF brand.

If that stuff about Captain America 2 is true (pretty likely, IMO), that'll also almost certainly be the big, redundant reveal for Agents of SHIELD.

Ovid

Been saying they should do three movies a year. I need three movies a year. I hate that Star Wars is sucking resources from Disney.
Disney has nothing to do with our movie operations. I don't know why people keep bringing this up.

Ovid

You work for Marvel Movie Studios?

If that is a yes, what's the likely hood of getting Dr. Strange for that Late Oct./early Nov 2015 slot?
I haven't heard anything but I don't divulge company secrets on GAF anyway.

Although I do know certain things about the films (I try to avoid some) I always join the GAF conversations as a fan.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Italy location they're planning to shoot Avengers 2 looks like it would be a prime candidate for Latveria..

Just my wishful thinking. Although they do have Blade back and with Dr Strange being rumored strongly. It might just happen one day.

Ah okay, considering there were potential Winter Soldier spoilers posted earlier in the thread, I thought it had something to do with that. I initially clicked because I assumed you were going to say
Baron von Strucker
confirmed or something related to that.

You're right, you never know. It's certainly possible.

Yo the Italy location probably could have something to do with the twins.

Look up there birthplace.

And yes Marvel with Blade could do some vampire movies.

Only if we had Apocalypse, could do Apocalypse vs Dracula.

The Italy location they're planning to shoot Avengers 2 looks like it would be a prime candidate for Latveria..

The rights stuff for Latveria's been pointed out, but I also think there's just about zero chance of us getting to see Wakanda if nobody's been cast as T'Challa.

Wouldn't be terrifically surprised to see it related to Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch, though, yeah.

tumblr_mrvddzo4xo1r3idmyo1_500.gif

tumblr_mrvddzo4xo1r3idmyo2_500.gif

I’ve been called many things, Pepper. Nostalgic is not one of them.

Boom

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just watched Agent Carter. Lol, that ending really was amazing. I really can't get enough of the MCU. Love watching all the one shots.

Boem

So the Winter Soldier Infinite Comic got released, and that prompted me to try and find out exactly what was canon and what wasn't out of all the promotional comics. It was actually surprisingly hard to find out. Recently (I think since phase 2), Marvel started marking the comics that 'counted' with a 'MCU'-stamp on the front of the comic, but some of the older comics don't have it. Someone on a Marvel fan-forum actually got in touch with some of the writers of the movies/tie-in comics to find out what the deal was.

Canon-comics:

Iron Man 2 - Public Identity #1-3
Iron Man 2 - Agents of SHIELD #1 (includes three issues focusing on Coulson, Fury and Black Widow)

Captain America - The First Avenger: First Vengeance #1-4

The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week #1-4
The Avengers - Prelude: Black Widow Strikes #1-3

Iron Man 3 - Prelude #1-2

Thor - The Dark World: Prelude #1-2

Captain America - The Winter Soldier: Infinite #1

To be released in the future:
Captain America - Homecoming #1
Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude #1-2
Guardians of the Galaxy - Infinite #1

Apart from that, the comic adaptations from Iron Man 1 (called 'I am Iron Man') and 2, Thor and Captain America are also considered canon. Those exist in a bit of a weird spot, because they're obviously retellings losing some of the details of the original plots, but they also have some added details (like an extended conversation between Stark and Fury at the end of Iron Man) that do count in the grand scheme of things. All minor details, obviously.

All other comics that use the designs and events from the movies (like Fast Friends or the Hulk-Fury comic) are merely considered as 'inspired by' the movies, rather than being a part of that specific canon (most of those comics got released early on, back when the future of the MCU wasn't as planned out as it is now). The same goes for stuff like the novelisations and the (terrible) videogames. All this information comes from Fred van Lente, who wrote a lot of these (and also some comics that fall under the 'inspired by'-category).

I actually managed to buy all of these with the exception of the Captain America adaptation. None of them are actually essential for your enjoyment of the movies, but (as someone who doesn't usually read comics or is willing to spend his time doing so) they provide some nice context to the movies. I'm sure the comics in the main range are much better, but I get my fill by just following the movies/tv-shows and the tie-in comics related to those.

Anyway, about the recently released Winter Soldier Infinite comic:
It's decent I guess, but nothing special. Zodiac, first seen in the Agent Carter short, is stolen from Shield by some bad guys who flee into a building, and Cap, Widow and a guy who (according to google) turns into someone called Crossbones, go after them to beat them up and take the Zodiac back. That's about it. They set up some of the doubts Cap has about the way Shield operates, and that's really it. It's a bit pricey for what you get and the Infinite-format doesn't really add that much for me.

Anyway, I know I can get a bit OCD with these things, but I like to keep a complete collection. They're fun enough movies, and I don't mind buying 1 or 2 prequel comics every time there's a new one coming out.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Yeah I can understand that they don't want both films marketing competing with each other but Guardians really needs to start building up some mainstream awareness.
Isnt this the reason here though why they *dont* do three movies a year?

Two a year is fine- anymore and brand fatigue/cannibalism will kick in.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week #1-4

After this one, I came to the point that I will ignore the Cinematic Comics in the future. Was not a good idea, to let all Marvel Movies happen within a week. But I liked how they further developed the Leader, I hope they will make a Hulk movie with him soon.

J10

Banned
I wonder what the roster is going to be. Seems like if they don't establish enough characters by then, it would eat into the Defenders lineup.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I wonder what the roster is going to be. Seems like if they don't establish enough characters by then, it would eat into the Defenders lineup.
So many possible line-ups.

Doctor Strange, a Captain America (either Steve or Bucky) and a reworked Hawkeye/Ronin. Throw in an Ant-Man (Scott or Pym), a Black Panther rumour and maybe even include one of the Defenders and you've got something awesome.

Having a team of New Avengers including some Defenders wont hurt and would only help to reinforce the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom