• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That article suggesting Dr. Strange being the centerpiece going forward is more fascinating to me. I hope they have the balls to do that.

Man, I just want GotG to be good. I really hope it's marketed well enough to be that sort of checkmate in the market where they can open up the doors for so many different things.

Also, just to touch on the stones thing a bit, I don't think they'll have any problem introducing a deity or power that forges the stones out of the different cosmic artifacts.

EDIT: it would be super cool if in GotG they had Quill's stone taken away early in the film and they had to find another stone to combat Ronan, and the movie is largely a journey to that point.

That article suggesting Dr. Strange being the centerpiece going forward is more fascinating to me. I hope they have the balls to do that.

Man, I just want GotG to be good. I really hope it's marketed well enough to be that sort of checkmate in the market where they can open up the doors for so many different things.

Also, just to touch on the stones thing a bit, I don't think they'll have any problem introducing a deity or power that forges the stones out of the different cosmic artifacts.

EDIT: it would be super cool if in GotG they had Quill's stone taken away early in the film and they had to find another stone to combat Ronan, and the movie is largely a journey to that point.

I've got a good feeling. The best part of being acquired by Disney is their marketing muscle. Avengers, Iron Man 3, and Thor 2 were constantly being advertised and on Disney Channel and XD they had tons of "behind the scenes" commercials. As long as they keep doing that I'm sure the reception will be decent at the very very least. Worst case scenario would be below expectations but not a bomb.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh man, it just hit me what PISS POOR this show is doing to highlight the importance of its music. Agents of SHIELD has a kickass score, like a genuinely awesome one, but it's largely muted due to poor production choices that put FX and voices well above the OST's volume, to the point that music becomes white noise.

Those with a 5.1 setup can try to block the center channel so the voices are muted. You are in for a surprise.

Edit: Woops. Wrongish thread.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

stones?

Or, maybe once all the infinity stones are collected, they can be absorbed by the gems already on the gauntlet as long as the gauntlet is being worn by the person who possess the stones.

J10

Banned
Yeah, I've been speculating something similar. It's hard to let go of the iconography of the Infinity Gauntlet, but I had begun to let go of it once it became apparent that the cube was the film version of an Infinity Gem. They have to be thinking about how that plays visually on screen. The Tesseract and the Aether work fine by themselves, but it seems silly to have somebody trying to collect them and their counterparts and be carrying them around all at once. It's one thing to have a bunch of colored stones just floating around in a comic panel and another to have that on screen. So yeah, I like the idea of the gauntlet already having the gems set and just drawing power from the stones.

Or, maybe once all the infinity stones are collected, they can be absorbed by the gems already on the gauntlet as long as the gauntlet is being worn by the person who possess the stones.

Yeah, I've been speculating something similar. It's hard to let go of the iconography of the Infinity Gauntlet, but I had begun to let go of it once it became apparent that the cube was the film version of an Infinity Gem. They have to be thinking about how that plays visually on screen. The Tesseract and the Aether work fine by themselves, but it seems silly to have somebody trying to collect them and their counterparts and be carrying them around all at once. It's one thing to have a bunch of colored stones just floating around in a comic panel and another to have that on screen. So yeah, I like the idea of the gauntlet already having the gems set and just drawing power from the stones.

I like this idea.

I highly, highly doubt that GotG will introduce *two* of them, but it'd get a lot of the heavy lore lifting out of the way for the subsequent films for sure.

Dr. Strange is pretty much a lock for introducing one of the stones, I think, which leaves two other Infinity Stones to be introduced in time for Avengers 3.

As for the Gauntlet thing, yeah. I don't think the Gauntlet is necessary from a story point of view, but perhaps if it's an effective way of controlling all of the Stones simultaneously that could work (but at that point they might be better off just having Thanos make his own instead of stealing that *and* the Tesseract from Odin's treasures).

One could be introduced in Ant-man as well, maybe in the flash back section and forgotten about.
The final Infinity stone can be obtained at the be obtained either in the beginning of Avengers 3 or the post credits teaser for whatever movie comes right before it.

But Dr. Strange is definitely going to unlock the Soul or Mind Stone.
Guardians of the Galaxy is going to introduce one, and maybe GotG2 will introduce a 2nd as well.

Capt. America: Tesseract = Power
Thor 2: Aether = Space?
Guardians: ??? = Soul?
Ant-Man: ??? = Time?
Doctor Strange: ??? = Mind?
Captain Marvel: ??? = Reality?

And if Thanos has ato go back to Asgard to get the Tesseract, then he might as well grab the Gauntlet while he in the same vault.

One could be introduced in Ant-man as well, maybe in the flash back section and forgotten about.
The final Infinity stone can be obtained at the be obtained either in the beginning of Avengers 3 or the post credits teaser for whatever movie comes right before it.

But Dr. Strange is definitely going to unlock the Soul or Mind Stone.
Guardians of the Galaxy is going to introduce one, and maybe GotG2 will introduce a 2nd as well.

Capt. America: Tesseract = Power
Thor 2: Aether = Space?
Ant-Man: ??? = Time?
Captain Marvel: ??? = Reality?

And if Thanos has ato go back to Asgard to get the Tesseract, then he might as well grab the Gauntlet while he in the same vault.

I figured the Tesseract was the Space stone considering in Avengers it acted as a portal between two points in the universe.

The Aether seems more like a power gem considering it allows the user to destroy entire parts of the nine realms.

I figured the Tesseract was the Space stone considering in Avengers it acted as a portal between two points in the universe.

The Aether seems more like a power gem considering it allows the user to destroy entire parts of the nine realms.

But Fury refers to the Tesseract as an unlimited source of energy that could solve the worlds power issues... at least I remember someone saying that. (in The Avengers I think)

But yes it did also power a transporter that brought Loki to earth.
But the Aether also did the same thing when it opened up portals all over the place in Thor 2.

Guys, I really don't think each Infinity Stone is going to correspond perfectly with one of the Infinity Gems. This is the MCU, not the main Marvel Universe. And it's okay that things will be kinda different. The Tesseract has already been shown to be capable of controlling people's minds AND teleporting people through space AND supplying infinite energy.

I doubt that, unless Ant-Man turns out to involve going to the Negative Zone. I don't think any of them are going to get used without making sure that the audience is already aware of what they are and what they're capable of.

Nah, the space stone is the aether from Thor 2. The Tess I believe was confirmed to be the Mind gem.

Now need the soul, power, time, and reality.

One to two of them can be already in the gauntlet.

Showaddy

Nah, the space stone is the aether from Thor 2. The Tess I believe was confirmed to be the Mind gem.

Wouldn't the Tesseract be the Space Gem as it big thing was opening portals and transporting people to other galaxies? I mean apart from Loki poking people in the chest with his Tesseract powered stick it didn't really having any Mind powers...

Nelo Ice

Banned
Wouldn't the Tesseract be the Space Gem as it big thing was opening portals and transporting people to other galaxies? I mean apart from Loki poking people in the chest with his Tesseract powered stick it didn't really having any Mind powers...

It is.
http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/601057
Are you saying that the Tesseract is one of the Infinity Gems, and has been all along?

Feige: Yes.

Which one would it be? Would it be the Space Gem or the Power Gem, or is it not that codified in the cinematic universe?

Feige: It is. I don’t know when we’ll actually divulge that necessarily, but it’s the space stone.

In Thor 2 the aether was described as being able to reduce the 9 realms back to nothing, total darkness. This kind of power seems only appropriate for the Power stone.

The Tesseract however, was never seen as being a direct weapon nor did it enhance a particular person's powers or mind. In both Captain America and the Avengers it was seen as an energy source which one would assume comes from it being connected with all of space. This makes sense considering how in the Avengers it is stated how it acts like a door, giving off more power than usual when once side tampers with it. This makes it more reasonable to assume it being the Space stone.

Edit: ^ well that's that

J10

Banned
If we're guessing strictly by color:

Soul - Green -
Time - Orange -
Space - Purple -
Mind - Blue - Tesseract
Reality - Yellow -
Power - Red - Aether

But this doesn't work that strictly. The Tesseract wasn't purple.

The GotG poster that popped up a few months (confirmed legit) ago had a blue orb in it and Kevin Feige also said that that movie will feature one.

I'd guess that any one of the gems/stones could function as a fuel or power source; that there is one called Power doesn't really matter in that regard - it's more about power as in control and ability. The Tesseract has been seen to fascilitate a lot of things; energy projection, mind control, astral projection, space travel. The Aether, however, corresponds more strictly to it's comic book counterpart based on what we've seen - it grants omnipotence. It might do other things similar to the Tesseract, like acting as a booster for other gems per the comics.

I think once we see what the next stone does we'll have a better picture of how they correspond to their comic counterparts.

EDIT: And now I see the Tessract is confirmed as Space, so yeah.

Neoxon

So, Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning are writing the GotG prelude comics for the movie.

Seeing as the movie is inspired by their work, & the fact that I prefer their GotG comic series, I approve.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Given what Feige said about the "space stone" mapping to the comics, it could be that all the infinity stones in the movies have the power to rip holes in space and time due to their cosmic nature. But the tessy is explicitly designed to create controllable, single point to point wormholes much like the Bifrost device.

The aether seemed way more unstable and was merging multiple dimensions together to the point they were becoming swiss cheese holes.

So let's edit that list

Capt. America: Tesseract = Space
Thor 2: Aether = Power?
?Guardians 2: ??? = Time?
?Captain Marvel: ??? = Reality?

Would Doctor Strange more likely be the Mind Gem or the Reality Gem?

And do you think an Infinity Stone will come into play during Avengers 2?

Well my bad.

I would say if that is the case, the Aether may be Reality with the merging.

Avengers 2 may be mind with Ultron.

Strange, possibly soul.

J10

Banned
I would not bank on Ant-Man or Avengers 2 featuring stones. I think both of those movies are going to be too grounded on earth. I expect other movies in phase three to be further out there. There is also the possibility that Thanos already has a couple of them at present.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I highly, highly doubt that GotG will introduce *two* of them, but it'd get a lot of the heavy lore lifting out of the way for the subsequent films for sure.

Dr. Strange is pretty much a lock for introducing one of the stones, I think, which leaves two other Infinity Stones to be introduced in time for Avengers 3.

As for the Gauntlet thing, yeah. I don't think the Gauntlet is necessary from a story point of view, but perhaps if it's an effective way of controlling all of the Stones simultaneously that could work (but at that point they might be better off just having Thanos make his own instead of stealing that *and* the Tesseract from Odin's treasures).
Yeah I guess I'm just underestimating how many movies they have to work with before Avengers 3, which will probably be at the end of phase three. They definitely room to spread them out.

I thought the stone in Loki's staff in Avengers was rumored to be the mind gem, since it gave him control over the minds of people he touched with it.

J10

Banned
I thought the stone in Loki's staff in Avengers was rumored to be the mind gem, since it gave him control over the minds of people he touched with it.

It was popular speculation. That might still be the case, but now it seems like it was just a tool for harnessing the cube's power.

It was popular speculation. That might still be the case, but now it seems like it was just a tool for harnessing the cube's power.

Yep, which, now that I think about it, creates a precedent for Thanos being an expert at harnessing the power of the Infinity Stones. He might have a Gauntlet or he might not, but I *really* doubt it'll be the one that makes a cameo in Thor, just like I doubt that the Eye of Agamotto seen in Thor will be the one that Doctor Strange obtains.

Skab

Yep, which, now that I think about it, creates a precedent for Thanos being an expert at harnessing the power of the Infinity Stones. He might have a Gauntlet or he might not, but I *really* doubt it'll be the one that makes a cameo in Thor, just like I doubt that the Eye of Agamotto seen in Thor will be the one that Doctor Strange obtains.

Wait what? I must have missed that. Thor 1 or 2?

J10

Banned
Wait what? I must have missed that. Thor 1 or 2?

First one.

thor-the-orb-of-agamotto.jpg%3Fw%3D497%26h%3D211

J10

Banned

I can easily imagine a scene in Avengers 3 where Thanos shows up in Asgard, murders a bunch of people and just takes that shit.

I can easily imagine a scene in Avengers 3 where Thanos shows up in Asgard, murders a bunch of people and just takes that shit.

Remember who's sitting on Odin's throne at the end of Thor: The Dark World. Thanos invading Asgard shouldn't be necessary.

But like I said, the stuff in Odin's treasure room is very clearly just cameos and isn't supposed to be the canonical location of any of that shit should Marvel decide to introduce it in the future.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I remember reading this and getting really excited about the next Avengers. (Now all my hype is squarely focused on Guardians. For now.)

Yeah, was a little bummed after the Ultron announcement, because I expected Thanos showing up in the sequel.

But now I think that it would be a great final chapter of the Wheedon Triolgie. Wrap all the origins of the remaining Gems up in Phase III, use the Thor Movie to let Loki give the Gauntlet to Thanos and in Guardians 2 he should get in Possession of the remaining gems. And the aftercredit scene should be showing Thanos wrapping up a new army and attacking earth.

I defininitly need to pick up this Infinity Gauntlet Ominibus, which is comin in the second quarter.

Yeah, was a little bummed after the Ultron announcement, because I expected Thanos showing up in the sequel.

But now I think that it would be a great final chapter of the Wheedon Triolgie. Wrap all the origins of the remaining Gems up in Phase III, use the Thor Movie to let Loki give the Gauntlet to Thanos and in Guardians 2 he should get in Possession of the remaining gems. And the aftercredit scene should be showing Thanos wrapping up a new army and attacking earth.

I defininitly need to pick up this Infinity Gauntlet Ominibus, which is comin in the second quarter.
Loki's currently got the Tesseract, and as an Infinity Stone, that's a more likely gift to Thanos than the Gauntlet.

whynotbooth.gif ;)

The Gauntlet hasn't been well-established to film viewers, and in filmmaking, establishing stuff to the audience via more than appearing in the background for half a second really, really matters. Even if it appeared very, very briefly onscreen in Thor, having Loki suddenly get the Gauntlet out of the vault and be like "oh and we had this all along and this is what it does" would be really, really poor writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom