• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonogunn

I'm watching Daredevil again and the first time, it was so entertaining that I never thought about it, but what exactly was Kingpin aiming to do? He claims it's too save the city, but I can't see the villain's perspective like I usually do. All I see him doing is killing folk and what is his hustle exactly. Slinging rocks?

By gaining power through crime he can own most of the city as shape it to whatever way he likes. He already has many cops in his pocket. He has politicians in his pocket. He does illegal means to gain control of many infrastructures.

guek

Banned
I'm watching Daredevil again and the first time, it was so entertaining that I never thought about it, but what exactly was Kingpin aiming to do? He claims it's too save the city, but I can't see the villain's perspective like I usually do. All I see him doing is killing folk and what is his hustle exactly. Slinging rocks?

He wants to gentrify Hell's Kitchen but he also runs a drug ring through Madam Gao with the Russians as distribution. Nobu was the rep for a Japanese organization that financially backed Fisk.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ah, by the way, the Guidebooks are pretty shit and uninteresting.

Will continue to buy them because of Collector and MCU, but beside the Covers, its not really worth it.
Save that money for the movies.

guek

Banned
So I've been thinking, what do you guys think are the chances that Civil War turns out to be a kind of prelude to Infinity War?

I may be overthinking it since there hasn't been much in the footage we've seen to suggest this but it's something I've considered in lieu of this really feeling like a cap focused Avengers 2.5 movie and the fact that all three movies were contracted together and have been in concurrent development by the same team since phase 3 was announced.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
So I've been thinking, what do you guys think are the chances that Civil War turns out to be a kind of prelude to Infinity War?

I may be overthinking it since there hasn't been much in the footage we've seen to suggest this but it's something I've considered in lieu of this really feeling like a cap focused Avengers 2.5 movie and the fact that all three movies were contracted together and have been in concurrent development by the same team since phase 3 was announced.

i think like all of us we are all projecting out to Infinity War because how can you not? But there will be a Dr Strange, Guardians, Thor, and Spiderman film before Infinity War hits so...this isn't the final step right before Avengers 3 or anything.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If it's true that Thanos isn't in Guardians 2 and/or isn't even referenced, then I assume Dr Strange and Thor will share duties with setting up Infinity War.

Actually, it seems Dr Strange would be a good place to talk about the metaphysics of all the infinity stones coming together. Or maybe drop some words about Death and "mad beings" who worship it as a literal person, desiring Death's attention and favor.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If it's true that Thanos isn't in Guardians 2 and/or isn't even referenced, then I assume Dr Strange and Thor will share duties with setting up Infinity War.

Actually, it seems Dr Strange would be a good place to talk about the metaphysics of all the infinity stones coming together. Or maybe drop some words about Death and "mad beings" who worship it as a literal person, desiring Death's attention and favor.

Could confirm that Hela will be the MCU's version of Death.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
i think like all of us we are all projecting out to Infinity War because how can you not? But there will be a Dr Strange, Guardians, Thor, and Spiderman film before Infinity War hits so...this isn't the final step right before Avengers 3 or anything.

And Black Panther!

5OoCKl9.png

[edit] I'd also like to take this time to point out that starting in May 2017, we're going to get six MCU movies in the span of 14 months, with the longest amount of time between movie openings being a mere 3½ months. Wow

Do we think Spider-man will feed into the larger MCU?

Probably not because relying on putting a lot of your setup into a movie that they don't have complete creative freedom on can be a bad idea. They're also very big on making it a story purely about Peter Parker in high school I doubt they want to burden it with Avengers setups.

I'd imagine the Spidey solo films will be largely self contained with references or cameos from MCU characters.

richiek

I expect it to be one of the more self-contained MCU films, really.

I'm still expecting some cameos from other MCU superheroes though.

According to Kevin Feige:

We want to play with Spider-Man in the high school years because frankly there’ve been five Spider-Man films and the amazing thing about it is, even though there’ve been five Spider-Man films, there are so many things from the comics that haven’t been done yet. Not just characters or villains or supporting characters, but sides to his character. The most obvious being the ‘young, doesn’t quite fit in’ kid before his powers, and then the fella that puts on a mask and swings around and fights bad guys and doesn’t shut up, which is something we want to play with and we’re excited about... I think it was midway through the first film that he graduated high school. At the beginning of the second Marc Webb film, he graduated high school. And some of my favorite Spider-Man arcs and Spider-Man stories, he’s in high school for a lot of it. We want to explore that. That also makes him very, very different from any of our other characters in the MCU, which is something else we want to explore: how unique he is when now put against all these other characters.

I imagine "RDJ showing up to give a speech about what being a true hero means" was one of Sony's prerequisite for the Spidey solo deal!

Pfft, like Tony is even qualified for that.

If theyre building this from the blueprint of Ultimate Spidey, then there's a better chance of Cap showing up to give him that talk. But I guess that depends on how Civil War plays out.

Wouldn't it be Fury? In Ultimate Spiderman, it was Fury who was his mentor and father figure

True, but given the current status of SHIELD it could be either. I'm thinking of Miles not Pete, my bad.

We know other MCU heroes will appear though and I think we can bet on it being at least one out of Fury, Steve and Tony.

jph139

The Fury/Peter relationship was one of my favorite parts of Ultimate Spider-Man, so it's a shame that can't quite work with SHIELD as it is. I think it could work with whatever government agency is set up in Civil War, though, with Tony (or whoever) helming it and acting as a mentor. Maybe.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is already back, tho.

Not as far as the public is concerned. If Coulson took SHIELD out of the shadows and tried to make it legit again I don't think it would be very widely accepted and the US govt would probably try to shut them down.

After the events of AOU its possible Fury is on the road to making it legit again. That has to be his ultimate goal with going dark.

I saw on another forum someone throw out the idea of reshooting parts of Hulk with Ruffalo replacing Norton, the new Hulk model replacing the old one, and with an Abomination that actually looks like the Abomination.

There was also the idea of reshooting parts of Ironman wih Cheadle replacing Howard. Calling those versions special edition/director's cut.

Sounds like an interesting idea to me and would fix part of what I think is wrong with TIH, which is the casting of Norton. It would also keep up with continuity in the MCU (as in using the same actors). However, how feasible would such a thing be? Can't imagine it would be cheap, so they would have to do a re-release in theaters to recoup costs (presumably leading up to Hulk solo movie sequel and Ironman 4 respectively). Also has such a thing ever happened? I know VFX updates have happened in SW movies, but reshootings with different actors? Can't think of any instance.

Quick

Banned
I saw on another forum someone throw out the idea of reshooting parts of Hulk with Ruffalo replacing Norton, the new Hulk model replacing the old one, and with an Abomination that actually looks like the Abomination.

There was also the idea of reshooting parts of Ironman wih Cheadle replacing Howard. Calling those versions special edition/director's cut.

Sounds like an interesting idea to me and would fix part of what I think is wrong with TIH, which is the casting of Norton. It would also keep up with continuity in the MCU (as in using the same actors). However, how feasible would such a thing be? Can't imagine it would be cheap, so they would have to do a re-release in theaters to recoup costs (presumably leading up to Hulk solo movie sequel and Ironman 4 respectively). Also has such a thing ever happened? I know VFX updates have happened in SW movies, but reshootings with different actors? Can't think of any instance.

It's a waste of time and money. All of this. But that goes without saying.

The Incredible Hulk has even bigger problems than Ed Norton.

Terrence Howard was great as Rhodey.

Anth0ny

semi off-topic but I don't give a fuck

Deadpool is the best Marvel movie I've seen since Winter Soldier, and that's saying something because I LOVED GOTG, DOFP and Ant Man. It felt so much like a MCU movie, much more so than any other Fox-made Marvel film. It's also rated R (something we'll NEVER see in the MCU), and totally earns that rating. It's a ton of fun.

They poke lots of fun at the MCU, too ;)

Go watch it everyone. 2016's comic book movie season is off to a great start, now here's hoping BvS and Civil War continue this momentum!

He wants to gentrify Hell's Kitchen but he also runs a drug ring through Madam Gao with the Russians as distribution. Nobu was the rep for a Japanese organization that financially backed Fisk.

Oh, his aim is gentrification. They didn't make it quite clear that he wanted to re-up the shitty parts of it, but then I wonder about the ordeal with Elena. Wasn't the complaint there that her place was crap and no one was doing anything to fix it?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Oh, his aim is gentrification. They didn't make it quite clear that he wanted to re-up the shitty parts of it, but then I wonder about the ordeal with Elena. Wasn't the complaint there that her place was crap and no one was doing anything to fix it?

they tried to buy out the residents in that building so they could rebuild it , Fisk was gentrifying so he could give the various partners a piece of hells kitchen when all was said and done. His cover was gentrification with Elena he was trying to stall repairing the building so residents would give in and take the buyout.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

I've mulled over this thought before but as everyone else will say, it's an incredibly big waste of time and resources just to 'fix' things for continuity sake. A film like Iron Man can stand on its own, it doesn't need to be 'updated' so it can match the rest of the cinematic universe.

Besides, is anyone really bothered that much about Howard not coming back?

This hypothetical Hulk 'reshoot' isn't remotely possible. TIH is barely tied to the MCU anyway. For the most part I consider Banner's/Hulk's appearance in The Avengers as the character's first appearance in the MCU. You don't miss much by removing TIH.

richiek

I've mulled over this thought before but as everyone else will say, it's an incredibly big waste of time and resources just to 'fix' things for continuity sake. A film like Iron Man can stand on its own, it doesn't need to be 'updated' so it can match the rest of the cinematic universe.

Besides, is anyone really bothered that much about Howard not coming back?

This hypothetical Hulk 'reshoot' isn't remotely possible. TIH is barely tied to the MCU anyway. For the most part I consider Banner's/Hulk's appearance in The Avengers as the character's first appearance in the MCU. You don't miss much by removing TIH.

That may change with Ross' appearance in Civil War. The Russos have said they wanted to include him because the Russos wanted TIH to connect more with the MCU.

curb

Banned
That may change with Ross' appearance in Civil War. The Russos have said they wanted to include him because the Russos wanted TIH to connect more with the MCU.

I'm ok with that. Incredible Hulk isn't great but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

I'm sure their intention will work a little, but we'll see how much of Ross carries over from TIH or if he's there just to be the old, white politician who don't want Avengers doing whatever they can with no consequence.

Pachimari

The more they incorporate The Incredible Hulk into the MCU the better. Fact is, that TIH is part of the MCU and thus it would be better to incorporate it instead of ignoring it. It wasn't really that bad a movie either.

Jonogunn

He better mention Betty Ross. Makes no sense Banner never contacted her...the love of his life this whole time since being back in America.

they tried to buy out the residents in that building so they could rebuild it , Fisk was gentrifying so he could give the various partners a piece of hells kitchen when all was said and done. His cover was gentrification with Elena he was trying to stall repairing the building so residents would give in and take the buyout.

Thank you and I was wondering with Age of Ultron did they ever explain how the group reformed? It looked like they were doing it for a while, but you know in the first Avengers Nick set it up and they disbanded after that. What caused to come back together and do this on their own?

duckroll

I don't actually think Incredible Hulk is that "forgettable" really. And it's certainly not a bad film. It's not a great one but in the long run I think if people go back and watch each one, they'll find something more unique about Incredible Hulk in the overall lineup than stuff like Ironman 2 and Thor The Dark World. Where Hulk succeeds is in being essentially a monster movie, and the casting is great. I liked Norton as Banner a lot. There's nothing quite like it in the rest of the MCU slate, which is a pity because I dig monster movies. When I try to recall Ironman 2, all I can think of is the Whiplash race track scene. Everything else might or might not be my memory assembling bits of Ironman and Ironman 3 together because the climatic scenes all feel so samey. Thor 2 is the real forgettable one. Essentially nothing of interest ever happens in it other than Loki quips. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom