• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

Yeah, why did Black Widow need to have a romantic relationship with anyone? Just because she's the only grill in the movie, so someone has to get with that?

That's what was so weird about it. It felt like it was in there just because she didn't have a love interest. And no explanation for Betty is ever offered up.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That's what was so weird about it. It felt like it was in there just because she didn't have a love interest. And no explanation for Betty is ever offered up.

Because there's Joss' MCU, and there's the rest of the MCU. And in Joss' MCU, The Incredible Hulk and Agents of SHIELD don't exist.

Because there's Joss' MCU, and there's the rest of the MCU. And in Joss' MCU, The Incredible Hulk and Agents of SHIELD don't exist.

Except for him specifically referencing TIH in Avengers and AOU. It's simply another thing that doesn't need to be over explained and would just serve to cram more fluff into the movie.

Whedon was merely following up on plot threads he started in the first movie. Widow was put in charge of the lullaby process, so its possible they grew close through that.

IconGrist

Except for him specifically referencing TIH in Avengers and AOU. It's simply another thing that doesn't need to be over explained and would just serve to cram more fluff into the movie.

Whedon was merely following up on plot threads he started in the first movie. Widow was put in charge of the lullaby process, so its possible they grew close through that.

I would be fine with this explanation if it was hinted at in any way. But it wasn't. Literally came out of nowhere. And I don't remember the lullaby process being started in the first Avengers.

I would be fine with this explanation if it was hinted at in any way. But it wasn't. Literally came out of nowhere. And I don't remember the lullaby process being started in the first Avengers.

There's a lot of time passed between these movies and Whedon's execution seems to infer that he doesn't want to waste any time explaining them - the audience should just accept them because we don't see what's going on with the characters 100% of the time.

I think that's acceptable when we're talking about personal relationships in the team developing but I can see where it loses people. Widow and Banner have some distinct interactions in Avengers 1 and he basically ran with it.

We can assume that once the team came back together to start breaking down Hydra bases, they developed the "code green" and lullaby strategies. Likely around the time Bruce and Tony were developing Veronica together.

Pachimari

It honestly sucked and was a super weird subplot between Black Widow and Hulk. It was a beautiful scene but the plot just shouldn't have been there. As said, there were no hints towards it and it came out of the blue. One of many problems with Age of Ultron.

So, I'm sure you guys have been through this time and time again but was there any reason given why the MCU out of nowhere tried to make Hulk and Widow a thing?
Because why not?
Even though one of Joss' movies was the only movie to reference TIH? And AoS was his idea, if I recall?
There's a lot of time passed between these movies and Whedon's execution seems to infer that he doesn't want to waste any time explaining them - the audience should just accept them because we don't see what's going on with the characters 100% of the time.

I think that's acceptable when we're talking about personal relationships in the team developing but I can see where it loses people. Widow and Banner have some distinct interactions in Avengers 1 and he basically ran with it.

We can assume that once the team came back together to start breaking down Hydra bases, they developed the "code green" and lullaby strategies. Likely around the time Bruce and Tony were developing Veronica together.
This was the explanation I had.

I think the romance was fine, and it made sense and it worked. The problem was that it felt kind of rushed and forced, but not the interactions between the characters. That's believable, and the reason is believable. Rather, it's inclusion in the actual movie as a subplot is what feels forced. But then again, the movie also had that weird magic bath scene with Thor that, quite honestly, is my least favorite thing in the whole movie.

It generally worked for me. I think the only scene where it falls flat is when they're flirting at the party. Aside from that, like most things in the movie it just needed more time to breathe.

Their conversation in Clint's house is a highlight character moment for me in the overall MCU.

Her forcing him to Hulk out was a badass hero moment for Hulk. Just loved how bad Bruce wants to get out of the fight but Hulk is just immediately ready to fuck shit up. Puny Banner indeed.

AMUSIX

The flirting at the party was a bit awkward, but I don't understand the 'came out of nowhere' thing. We are seeing the very beginning of a relationship. When Widow flirts at the party, Banner isn't even aware of it. The conversation at Hawkeyes place is Widow coming out and saying "hey, I like you." It's not like they're suddenly madly in love, only that, over the past few months, Widow has felt a connection, one that is based on both of them feeling like monsters among heroes. There's a spark of a relationship there, nothing full blown. It's made a bit stronger by this being one of the few times Widow has opened up to anyone, but that's about it.

guek

Banned

giphy.gif

Hells yeah!

They're both brainwashed spies who have no qualms with killing. It would make a great story.

I really don't see the need for a romantic interest for her, but Bucky makes the most sense.

There's a plan. For all Widow knows, Banner is gone or dead, so she really does get involved with Bucky. However, when Bruce gets back he goes ballistic with jealous rage and starts World War Hulk.

AMUSIX

They should make Widow shack up with everyone, then have the big reveal that she was working for Thanos all along, collecting weaknesses and implementing various ways to take the team down.

Apharmd

i don't know how this is weird

girls will like who they like, it doesn't have to follow logic or reason, they're human beings

honestly it was one of the better parts of AOU

IconGrist

i don't know how this is weird

girls will like who they like, it doesn't have to follow logic or reason, they're human beings

honestly it was one of the better parts of AOU

In real life, yes. In fiction people like to follow character logic. Widow came off like a cat in heat. The only time we as an audience see her interact with Banner prior to this movie is either terrified or semi-okay with him because Hulk was needed. Then in AoU she's all over him like he's the world's hottest bachelor. Not to mention acting like Betty is not a thing. Some acknowledgement of his prior relationship with her would have at least helped aid in his explanation as to why he was against committing to something with Natasha.

Edit: I don't think AoU is a bad movie. There were just some questionable decisions made with some of its content.

Am I the only one who thinks that Wolverine doesnt depend on beeing violent as hell?

I don't think he depends on it. They've already used him pretty well with PG-13 restrictions. But we're talking about a character who can heal just about any gory wound, has 12" knives in his hands, has no qualms killing a dude when he's in his right mind, and has frequent bouts of animalistic berserker rage when he's not. You can't act like a PG-13 rating doesn't force them to hold back on what that character could be capable of and at this point it would be interesting to see them explore it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Am I the only one who thinks that Wolverine doesnt depend on beeing violent as hell?

yep and fox would be foolish to think a character they poorly translate to pg 13 is a better usage of the biggest hero of the past 25 years. Deadpool , Wolverine, Cable. Save the PG 13 for the Xmen outings. Sabertooth alone guarantee's hard R. The smedium faithful version of wolverine is smedium successful. Fox is probably reassessing a lot of past choices now that DP snuck through and got made.

duckroll

The character? Sure. He works fine in the larger picture without being all about blood and gore. Wolverine as a central character of a story? It'll always feel neutered if it isn't an exploration of his primal instincts and what happens when he is truly pushed to his limits. For that, not having rating restrictions limiting the content would be ideal.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread.

I'm not familiar with Iron Man/Avengers comics, but from the little I've read online about it, Tony Stark has made Iron Man suits for various Marvel characters. I was wondering if there is a list of all the characters he's made a suit for? I tried looking on Google but I just get a list of all of Tony Stark's suits he's made for himself.

Pachimari

Man I can't agree with The Avengers being #1, and The Winter Soldier at #4. They just aren't entertaining enough to be up there. And Big Hero 6 was not a good movie. But that's just me.

Actually this list is wrong on so many levels.

Age of Ultron above Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool is a joke. And Amazing Spider-Man better than Days of Future Past? That's debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom