• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my patience with The Incredible Hulk with this scene. This scene is straight out of Garry's Mod. It is fucking DOGSHIT.

That shot of the kick and impact is so weird. Blonsky gets this huge kick which is supposed to send him flying at top speed, but then they cut to this shot of Roth flying at a speed that's much slower, then cut back to this CG model bouncing into a tree. I like TIH, but that's a strange shot.

I don't actually think Incredible Hulk is that "forgettable" really. And it's certainly not a bad film. It's not a great one but in the long run I think if people go back and watch each one, they'll find something more unique about Incredible Hulk in the overall lineup than stuff like Ironman 2 and Thor The Dark World. Where Hulk succeeds is in being essentially a monster movie, and the casting is great. I liked Norton as Banner a lot. There's nothing quite like it in the rest of the MCU slate, which is a pity because I dig monster movies. When I try to recall Ironman 2, all I can think of is the Whiplash race track scene. Everything else might or might not be my memory assembling bits of Ironman and Ironman 3 together because the climatic scenes all feel so samey. Thor 2 is the real forgettable one. Essentially nothing of interest ever happens in it other than Loki quips. :/

I have this weird thing with TDW where I can't ever remember the middle portion of the movie. Like there's a gap in my memory where the movie jumps from the Dark Elves in Asgard to just before the fight in London. Maybe I'll give it another go when it's on TV again.

jph139

Honestly I'd put The Incredible Hulk in my top five MCU movies. It's very character driven, a lot of quiet moments and a sort of melancholy feel to it. Norton really nails the "man with nothing left to lose" side of Banner - Ruffalo is alright, but I don't think he captures that aspect of the character anywhere near as well.

Thank you and I was wondering with Age of Ultron did they ever explain how the group reformed? It looked like they were doing it for a while, but you know in the first Avengers Nick set it up and they disbanded after that. What caused to come back together and do this on their own?

They spent the time in between the two movies busting Hydra bases and hunting down Loki's scepter.

Coulson and Fury we working on getting a crew together to run the helicarrier they used in Avengers, after the three megahelicarriers were lost in Winter Soldier. Coulson was able to locate Loki's scepter while tracking down Baron Strucker's second in command, and alerted the Avengers to their location.

That shot of the kick and impact is so weird. Blonsky gets this huge kick which is supposed to send him flying at top speed, but then they cut to this shot of Roth flying at a speed that's much slower, then cut back to this CG model bouncing into a tree. I like TIH, but that's a strange shot.

In fairness, that initial shot of Blonsky flying away from the kick was edited in by whoever made that video, with that footage coming from one of the trailers. I definitely remember that shot not being in the movie itself, because I also remember how hokey it is.

The fight between Abomination and Hulk now is so weightless-videogame-cutscene now that it's hard to take seriously, but I wonder if it was hard to animate it back in 2008.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Thank you and I was wondering with Age of Ultron did they ever explain how the group reformed? It looked like they were doing it for a while, but you know in the first Avengers Nick set it up and they disbanded after that. What caused to come back together and do this on their own?

Do what on their own? The avengers are formed at the end of part 1 ,they just don't have a base of operations at the end of Avengers you only see the plan. AoU jumps of from the Avengers trying to finish off Hydra since Nick comments that there are worldwide and have more than one scheme. Not to mention they had the scepter and other alien technology from being within SHIELD when they developed the Hydra WW2 weapons, the Destroyer Armor weapons, and Chitauri weapons. Whedon basically relies on the fact that fighting a huge battle to save the world will create a bond between members and the end of Avengers implying they agree to try being a team with Stark beginning Stark tower at the end.

Cap ,BW, and Hawkeye stayed together in DC
Tony and Stark in CA
Thor went home but has Heimdall so is never out of the loop.

Thats pretty much the core group.

Penguin

TIH is whatever, but always say forgettable because it's the film that has/had the least connections to the wider universe.

Until Civil War, I don't believe a single actor from that film had ever shown up again (and not counting Stark's cameo at the end!) and they only broadly reference the film in talking about the hulk destroying Harlem.

Penguin

Judging something by how many "connections" it has to a wider universe is such a totally stupid way of looking at anything. Lol.

Well when the entire universe makes a deal of "It's All Connected" it becomes a sticking point.

But it is my 2nd favorite Phase 1 film.. well solo film!

inky

When I try to recall Ironman 2, all I can think of is the Whiplash race track scene. Everything else might or might not be my memory assembling bits of Ironman and Ironman 3 together because the climatic scenes all feel so samey. Thor 2 is the real forgettable one. Essentially nothing of interest ever happens in it other than Loki quips. :/

When thinking of Iron Man 2 there's only 2 scenes that come to mind:

1. Hammer doing his weapons presentation, because Sam Rockwell is memorable like that, and
2. Kate Mara standing in front of a car waiting for RDJ.

Now, the amount of people who remember anything from IM2 is probably minuscule, so imagine the amount of people who remember Kate fucking Mara is in it for 2 seconds. It must be a dozen of us. There's nothing special about that scene either, but I keep remembering it because it's the only thing I've seen Kate Mara have any sort of facial expression in. Obviously I haven't seen everything she's been in, but it always comes to mind.

IconGrist

I really liked Iron Man 2. More than 3 anyway. I can recall it pretty vividly even though it's been a couple of years since I last saw it. Unlike Thor 2 which I only remember Rene Russo embarrassing the Dark Elf, lol.

In fairness, that initial shot of Blonsky flying away from the kick was edited in by whoever made that video, with that footage coming from one of the trailers. I definitely remember that shot not being in the movie itself, because I also remember how hokey it is.

The fight between Abomination and Hulk now is so weightless-videogame-cutscene now that it's hard to take seriously, but I wonder if it was hard to animate it back in 2008.

That fight is very "Ultimate Destruction" - especially the part where Hulk uses the cop car as boxing gloves.

1376545_orig.jpg

curb

Banned
I really like Iron Man 2. I'd never defend it as a good movie but it's got a lot of action I enjoy. Tony vs Rhodey, the air chase through the Stark Expo, Iron Man and War Machine vs the Hammer-oids - all stuff I really like.

I like Thor 2 as well. Won't call it good though. Quality and enjoyment aren't always tied together for me. I also like the first GI Joe movie...

IconGrist

I really like Iron Man 2. I'd never defend it as a good movie but it's got a lot of action I enjoy. Tony vs Rhodey, the air chase through the Stark Expo, Iron Man and War Machine vs the Hammer-oids - all stuff I really like.

I like Thor 2 as well. Won't call it good though. Quality and enjoyment aren't always tied together for me. I also like the first GI Joe movie...

Same for me as well.

Neoxon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVC2iCDpvI&feature=youtu.be&t=41m51s

According the Deadpool screenwriters, they put a reference to Kevin Feige in the film.

So I guess Fox and Marvel seem to be on better terms then?
Feige has had his name attached to stuff outside of the MCU for a while. If I recall, his name was attached before the X-Men/F4 video game ban was enacted (which is apparently still ongoing). So while I wouldn't consider that an improvement in Marvel-Fox relations, the Apocalypse Now event could very well be a sign.

Do what on their own? The avengers are formed at the end of part 1 ,they just don't have a base of operations at the end of Avengers you only see the plan. AoU jumps of from the Avengers trying to finish off Hydra since Nick comments that there are worldwide and have more than one scheme. Not to mention they had the scepter and other alien technology from being within SHIELD when they developed the Hydra WW2 weapons, the Destroyer Armor weapons, and Chitauri weapons. Whedon basically relies on the fact that fighting a huge battle to save the world will create a bond between members and the end of Avengers implying they agree to try being a team with Stark beginning Stark tower at the end.

Cap ,BW, and Hawkeye stayed together in DC
Tony and Stark in CA
Thor went home but has Heimdall so is never out of the loop.

Thats pretty much the core group.

Well Nick formed the team in the first one and it seemed like they decided to do this shit on their own and it came across like they were doing it for a little while and how'd you know Hawkeye was in DC? He wasn't present in Winter Soldier. Also did you mean Tony Stark in CA?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Well Nick formed the team in the first one and it seemed like they decided to do this shit on their own and it came across like they were doing it for a little while and how'd you know Hawkeye was in DC? He wasn't present in Winter Soldier. Also did you mean Tony Stark in CA?

I meant Tony and Banner were in California
Hawkeye was in DC and was SUPPOSED to be in TWS *fuck you Renner did you enjoy Hansel and Grettle?*

Mid way through Avengers Fury knew he wasn't going to have a team that would answer to SHIELD. Only Cap , BW and Hawkeye stuck around because they were soldiers/operatives. The Avengers became more than a response team. Banner was never going to work for them after they found the "Phase 2" plans and all the other weapons, and Stark is too smart to be a mid level operative in service of SHIELD. Basically by the end of the battle of new york, that was Caps team that did come together for some time, Whedon started AoU right at in the middle of their hunt for Hydra. They were able to get a ton of data from the project Insight usb stick in TWS.

AMUSIX

Damnit, studying made me miss fun discussions...but hell with it, I'm throwing my 2 cents in...

For me, TIH is the worst of the MCU for one giant reason: It has no plot. None whatsoever. It has a premise (Bruce is trying to find a cure) but, aside from that, there are just happenings. There's no story which threads everything together. Norton's zen-Banner is cool, but I think I prefer Ruffalo's mouseyness.

One thing that I've always found interesting is that the people who rip on IM2 for giving over time to laying unrelated groundwork, and rip on Thor for the unearned romance, never seem to level the same complaints at TIH (personally, I don't agree with either criticism).

Speaking of IM2, I still feel as if it was just a small step away from being great. Unfortunately, that small step would have been early on in story treatment, so gets magnified by the time it becomes a film. All they needed to do was remove the whole "arc reactor poisoning" storyline, and focus more on the "sins of the father" story. What that would do:

-Create more of a focus on the Stark vs Venko relationship
-Hammer exists as a 'what Stark could be'
-The SHIELD stuff comes naturally as Stark digs into his father's past
-Drinking comes as Tony's hero image of his father is crushed
-Pepper starts managing the company to cover for Tony's drunken ass

Essentially, it ties everything together much tighter. I think this is what Favreau was going for, but the poisoning/deathwish thing just doesn't connect at all, and the 'hand the company to Pepper' thing feels disconnected as a result.

Oh, and just to be clear, the bottom three MCU films are:

-IM2 (for stumbling over itself)
-Thor2 (for being uninteresting)
-TIH (for not having a plot)

Of course, if anyone wants to watch any of them, I'm always happy to do so. Says a hell of a lot towards how enjoyable every movie in MCU is to watch.

I think a more interesting list might be to rank the MCU by final battles. Thor 2 would suddenly spring up quite a few spaces, and IM1 would drop down considerably.

AMUSIX

I meant Tony and Banner were in California
Hawkeye was in DC and was SUPPOSED to be in TWS *fuck you Renner did you enjoy Hansel and Grettle?*

Mid way through Avengers Fury knew he wasn't going to have a team that would answer to SHIELD. Only Cap , BW and Hawkeye stuck around because they were soldiers/operatives. The Avengers became more than a response team. Banner was never going to work for them after they found the "Phase 2" plans and all the other weapons, and Stark is too smart to be a mid level operative in service of SHIELD. Basically by the end of the battle of new york, that was Caps team that did come together for some time, Whedon started AoU right at in the middle of their hunt for Hydra. They were able to get a ton of data from the project Insight usb stick in TWS.

It should be noted that, at the beginning of Ultron, the Avengers are together as a team as a favor to Thor. He came back to Midgard seeking Loki's staff, and reached out to Tony, Steve and the others to ask for their help. Tony put everything together, used Maria Hill (who works for him now) to get info from her former SHIELD sources (in this case, it was Coulson & Co.) and the group went around the world targeting HYDRA outposts. The opening battle in Ultron was supposed to be it for the team, the party they threw was the wrap party. Establishing the whole training facility and making them a permanent team is the big change to the MCU.

edit: Also, no ripping on Hansel and Gretel...movie was too fun

guek

Banned
I don't actually think Incredible Hulk is that "forgettable" really. And it's certainly not a bad film. It's not a great one but in the long run I think if people go back and watch each one, they'll find something more unique about Incredible Hulk in the overall lineup than stuff like Ironman 2 and Thor The Dark World. Where Hulk succeeds is in being essentially a monster movie, and the casting is great. I liked Norton as Banner a lot. There's nothing quite like it in the rest of the MCU slate, which is a pity because I dig monster movies. When I try to recall Ironman 2, all I can think of is the Whiplash race track scene. Everything else might or might not be my memory assembling bits of Ironman and Ironman 3 together because the climatic scenes all feel so samey. Thor 2 is the real forgettable one. Essentially nothing of interest ever happens in it other than Loki quips. :/

There are two factors that make TIH forgettable for me. The first is that the action scenes aren't very compelling. That's partly due to some of the wonky CGI that makes it feel more like a video game cutscene than the Hulk brought to life on the big screen. It tries to be a monster movie without ever getting the spectacle aspect of a monster movie quite right. The action is adequate but there's a notable shortage of memorable scenes that are worth revisiting. The closest it gets is probably the police car box-ing gloves. That would be OK if it weren't for the second problem which is none of the characters have any sort appreciable arc. Bruce is hinted at coming to terms with and accepting his Hulk persona at the very end but we don't actually get to see that unfold on screen. Bruce, Betty, and Ross are interesting characters that don't really go anywhere or learn anything.

To be fair, I didn't find Thor TDW to be much better in either of those areas either. TDW does have marginally better action though, and I recall really enjoying the assault on Asgard on my first viewing. I'd put TDW just barely ahead of TIH.

On an unrelated note, I rewatched IM3 yesterday before heading out to see Deadpool. The first act still drags quite a bit, but as the movie goes on, it feels more and more like a Shane Black film (which is a good thing). The daisy-chain rescue is still pretty exhilerating to watch, and the shipyard climax is suitably spectacular. Others may disagree but I also find it to be a really satisfying conclusion to Tony's character arc over 3 movies + Avengers. What makes it uneven though is that first act slog and the inescapable feeling that the Iron Man suit got horribly nerfed. I don't mind the Mandarin bait and switch since I had no particular attachment to the character in the first place. It's the flimsy nature of Tony's armors that really bugs me. Killian rips through them like butter, and Tony doesn't ever get any scenes where he's just being kickass in the suit. He's at a disadvantage throughout the entire film, which can be great for creating drama but c'mon, the character deserved to close out its trilogy at the top of its game.

FeD.nL

When thinking of Iron Man 2 there's only 2 scenes that come to mind:

1. Hammer doing his weapons presentation, because Sam Rockwell is memorable like that, and
2. Kate Mara standing in front of a car waiting for RDJ.

Now, the amount of people who remember anything from IM2 is probably minuscule, so imagine the amount of people who remember Kate fucking Mara is in it for 2 seconds. It must be a dozen of us. There's nothing special about that scene either, but I keep remembering it because it's the only thing I've seen Kate Mara have any sort of facial expression in. Obviously I haven't seen everything she's been in, but it always comes to mind.

In my opinion it has the best character moment out of all the MCU films in this scene:

My greatest creation is you

It's such a subtle scene. RDJ doesn't overact it but you can see it affects him still. John Slattery is great as well. The way Howard stumbles through his lines. The way Tony looks when his father makes a joke. You can see he literally sees a totally different side of his father. And with this scene it makes Civil War have a bigger impact if Bucky is the one who killed Howard and took that away from Tony.

IM and IM2 work great together in telling the story of a man coming to terms with what he thought he was supposed to become and change it to what he's meant to be. That's part of the reason I loathe IM3 because that film doesn't follow up on it at all. That scene is basically the catalyst for Tony to make the world better, to follow in his father's footsteps. Luckily we get Civil War which follows up on that.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
In my opinion it has the best character moment out of all the MCU films in this scene:

My greatest creation is you

It's such a subtle scene. RDJ doesn't overact it but you can see it affects him still. John Slattery is great as well. The way Howard stumbles through his lines. The way Tony looks when his father makes a joke. You can see he literally sees a totally different side of his father. And with this scene it makes Civil War have a bigger impact if Bucky is the one who killed Howard and took that away from Tony.

IM and IM2 work great together in telling the story of a man coming to terms with what he thought he was supposed to become and change it to what he's meant to be. That's part of the reason I loathe IM3 because that film doesn't follow up on it at all. That scene is basically the catalyst for Tony to make the world better, to follow in his father's footsteps. Luckily we get Civil War which follows up on that.

yeah i loved that scene..and hey Roger from Mad Men!

guek

Banned
I still need to rewatch IM2 at some point. I remember thinking that something about Whiplash just didn't click, though I can't really articulate why. The engineering montage was also really weak and felt way too easy, and the final fight with Whiplash lasted like 30 seconds.

IM2's biggest sins are the flimsy palladium poisoning subplot and its resolution, and Whiplash's having too few character moments (and getting taken out like a chump.)

Aside from that it does everything I wanted from a "part 2" to the excellent original. It really does feel like the second half of a story in a way few sequels do when they just attempt to be "bigger and better".

It absolutely continues tony's arc in a great way and has some really great scenes you can't help but love. When people call this movie forgettable I'm assuming they were asleep during the opening scene with the Stark expo, the Senate hearing or pretty much any moment with Justin Hammer, the raceway fight with Whiplash, that bit with the moving art piece on Pepper's desk (lol), the Howard Stark scene, the bit with Fury and Natasha at the donut shop, Coulson being a smug dick, so much good stuff. And ummm, the party scene and fight???

But especially that fight at the end with Tony and Rhodey vs the Drones. Fuckkkk that is still one of the best and most intense action sequences in the MCU.

http://youtu.be/Nx2mhPEr7kA

I can't say I love this movie unabashedly, but its one of the better MCU films. I can't take anyone seriously when they say that the Avengers setups ruined it, or that it's boring. It falters in some crucial moments that prevent it from reaching true greatness, but it's fun, and funny, and has so many pivotal moments for Tony and his supporting cast.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Well, in IM3 his arc had to take a detour to deal with the PTSD he develops from going all-out saving the world in The Avengers. It made sense and I didn't mind where they took that.

It absolutely continues tony's arc in a great way and has some really great scenes you can't help but love. When people call this movie forgettable I'm assuming they were asleep during the opening scene with the Stark expo, the Senate hearing or pretty much any moment with Justin Hammer, the raceway fight with Whiplash, that bit with the moving art piece on Pepper's desk (lol), the Howard Stark scene, the bit with Fury and Natasha at the donut shop, Coulson being a smug dick, so much good stuff. And ummm, the party scene and fight???

Yeah, I've never understood when people say they don't remember anything about IM2. I remember a ton about that movie. Thor 2, on the other hand, I only remember the final fight. I can't remember that movie's plot at all.

I still need to rewatch IM2 at some point. I remember thinking that something about Whiplash just didn't click, though I can't really articulate why. The engineering montage was also really weak and felt way too easy, and the final fight with Whiplash lasted like 30 seconds.

That's the biggest problem the final battle is waaaay too short.

AMUSIX

That's interesting. Was wondering when we'd next see Fury, especially since he's MIA for Civil War and Strange. Figured he wouldn't be in Guardians, so my money was on Black Panther. Him showing up in Thor is curious. Cameo meeting when Thor's looking for Banner?

IconGrist

So, I'm sure you guys have been through this time and time again but was there any reason given why the MCU out of nowhere tried to make Hulk and Widow a thing?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, I'm sure you guys have been through this time and time again but was there any reason given why the MCU out of nowhere tried to make Hulk and Widow a thing?
Because pairing Widow and Hawkeye was the thing that was expected and Joss felt that not every time a man and a woman have a relationship in a movie it has to be romantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom