• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

I finally got around to watching Ant-Man... And I loved it!

I can't believe it got such mixed reviews when it came out. I really wish I had gone to see it in the theater.

Pachimari

Finished Daredevil S2, and it's by far the best thing in the MCU for me. My top 5 now is:

1. Daredevil [S2]
  2. Daredevil [S1]
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Ant-Man
  5. Iron Man

I have a hard time getting excited about Luke Cage but the little teaser were nice. I'm sick hyped about Iron Fist though.

shingi70

Banned
Finished Daredevil S2, and it's by far the best thing in the MCU for me. My top 5 now is:

1. Daredevil [S2]
  2. Daredevil [S1]
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Ant-Man
  5. Iron Man

I have a hard time getting excited about Luke Cage but the little teaser were nice. I'm sick hyped about Iron Fist though.

Funny I'm the opposite, unless they straight up do Iron Fist as Tournament Arc, I really don't want Danny without Luke.

Quick

Banned
Ant-Man had Edgar Wright's departure as a stain it couldn't really take out until after the movie came out.

As far as I remember, reviews often mentioned Edgar Wright's departure and the "what if he stuck around?" commentary, which I certainly don't blame. But at the end of the day, Peyton Reed, Adam McKay, and Paul Rudd really made it into their own movie.

Tom_Cody

Probably came to that conclusion because of all the Edgar Wright bitching.

Ant-Man had Edgar Wright's departure as a stain it couldn't really take out until after the movie came out.

As far as I remember, reviews often mentioned Edgar Wright's departure and the "what if he stuck around?" commentary, which I certainly don't blame. But at the end of the day, Peyton Reed, Adam McKay, and Paul Rudd really made it into their own movie.
Yeah, I think was definitely it. I think some people just weren't willing to judge it objectively due to the fallout from the Wright situation.

You now have to wonder what Ant-Man/Wasp will bring to the table.
For sure. I can't wait. I hope to see more of the quantum realm, and maybe some Giant-Man stuff as well.

The Kree

Banned
You now have to wonder what Ant-Man/Wasp will bring to the table.

Great things, hopefully. Scott doesn't really have any great solo stories to draw from and this version of Wasp is a nonfactor unless they write her like her mom, so they pretty much have to make it all up from scratch. This is a rare case where there's no clear direction they could be going. If this were Ant-Man Part 3 I could envision Cassie growing up into Stature or Hope gearing up to lead the Avengers or something.

Neoxon

Geekritique made a comprehensive MCU timeline up to Civil War. If you aren't caught up, you'd have to spend over 5 days to watch everything that the MCU has to offer (this isn't even counting the tie-in comics).

image.png

mreddie

Great things, hopefully. Scott doesn't really have any great solo stories to draw from and this version of Wasp is a nonfactor unless they write her like her mom, so they pretty much have to make it all up from scratch. This is a rare case where there's no clear direction they could be going. If this were Ant-Man Part 3 I could envision Cassie growing up into Stature or Hope gearing up to lead the Avengers or something.

My idea for Antman/Wasp

-Janet is saved from the Microverse
-Scott and Hope go after Eggman but shit hits the fan
-Taskmaster is the main villain
-After shit goes down, Scott, Hope and Team Scott take down Eggman's company
-Cassie and Scott have issues.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Geekritique made a comprehensive MCU timeline up to Civil War. If you aren't caught up, you'd have to spend over 5 days to watch everything that the MCU has to offer (this isn't even counting the tie-in comics).

https://geekritiqued.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/image.png?w=1440

That is a fantastic timeline ... up until Guardians of the Galaxy. Then the order should be this:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes one through five
Daredevil season one
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes six through 13
Jessica Jones season one episodes one through six
Agents of SHELD season two episodes 14 through 15
Jessica Jones season one episodes seven through 13
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes 16 through 19
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes 20 through 22
Daredevil season two
WHIH Newsfront videos
Ant-Man
Agents of SHIELD season three episodes one through 18
Captain America: Civil War
Agents of SHIELD season three episodes 19 through 22

The differences being ... Agents of SHIELD season two picks up in spring 2014 following the events of Winter Solider, which were in October 2013. And Daredevil season one happens in August and September 2014, so SHIELD S2 needs to start before Daredevil S1. But somehow AoS S2 has to last until spring 2015 when Age of Ultron happens.

Now there's a logical break between episodes five and six (when Coulson mentions that he's been writing the alien language more and more — the frequency has gone from months to weeks to days, indicating that a lot of time has gone by for that frequency to be noticed), so we put Daredevil S1 there.

Jessica Jones S1 happens in January through March 2015, so it takes place somewhat concurrently with SHIELD S2. The episodes kinda fit together like this, as seen above, taking into account spans of time occurring for us to switch from one show to another:

SHIELD S2 episodes 6—13
JJ S1 episodes 1—6
SHELD S2 episodes 14 & 15
JJ S1 episodes 7—13
SHIELD S2 episodes 16—19

The Geekritique timeline has Daredevil S2 happening during SHIELD S3's season break, but it doesn't. (That's not even when it's aired in real time.) It seems to happen during summer 2015, maybe in May or June. Since Scott Lang breaks out of prison in July 2015, we have to put Daredevil S2 before Ant-Man but after SHIELD S2 ends (and well before SHIELD S3 even starts).

Lastly, I'm pretty sure we'll only get through SHIELD S3 episode 19 before Civil War, not episode 20.

So that timeline was perfect! Right up until Guardians of the Galaxy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Daredevil S2 takes place from Summer until Winter (Christmas) 2015.

Does it really? Geez, that mucks things up. (I haven't finished it yet; I've gotten through episode 5.)

Any idea when there would be logical breaks between episodes? I haven't noticed any through the fifth episode.

Tom_Cody

Reed has said it is going for a different tone.
Feige has been pretty open in saying that they have aimed to have each Marvel film fit into its own sub-genre. Winter Soldier was a political thriller, Ant-Man was a heist film, etc. I could see Ant-Man and The Wasp being another heist film, but I could also see them going in a totally different direction.

Ant-Man was a heist film out of necessity for the story, there's nothing theyd really be stealing in the sequel, I'm assuming. If it's going to be about exploring the microverse to rescue Janet I want it to go all in on the "weird science" and adventure feel that Marvel can't do in a Fantastic Four movie.

Feige has been pretty open in saying that they have aimed to have each Marvel film fit into its own sub-genre. Winter Soldier was a political thriller, Ant-Man was a heist film, etc. I could see Ant-Man and The Wasp being another heist film, but I could also see them going in a totally different direction.

Which fits into the rumor that Thor 3 will be a "road trip" styled film as Thor and Hulk travel from one location to the next through the realms towards the final showdown.

Neoxon

That is a fantastic timeline ... up until Guardians of the Galaxy. Then the order should be this:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes one through five
Daredevil season one
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes six through 13
Jessica Jones season one episodes one through six
Agents of SHELD season two episodes 14 through 15
Jessica Jones season one episodes seven through 13
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes 16 through 19
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Agents of SHIELD season two episodes 20 through 22
Daredevil season two
WHIH Newsfront videos
Ant-Man
Agents of SHIELD season three episodes one through 18
Captain America: Civil War
Agents of SHIELD season three episodes 19 through 22

The differences being ... Agents of SHIELD season two picks up in spring 2014 following the events of Winter Solider, which were in October 2013. And Daredevil season one happens in August and September 2014, so SHIELD S2 needs to start before Daredevil S1. But somehow AoS S2 has to last until spring 2015 when Age of Ultron happens.

Now there's a logical break between episodes five and six (when Coulson mentions that he's been writing the alien language more and more — the frequency has gone from months to weeks to days, indicating that a lot of time has gone by for that frequency to be noticed), so we put Daredevil S1 there.

Jessica Jones S1 happens in January through March 2015, so it takes place somewhat concurrently with SHIELD S2. The episodes kinda fit together like this, as seen above, taking into account spans of time occurring for us to switch from one show to another:

SHIELD S2 episodes 6—13
JJ S1 episodes 1—6
SHELD S2 episodes 14 & 15
JJ S1 episodes 7—13
SHIELD S2 episodes 16—19

The Geekritique timeline has Daredevil S2 happening during SHIELD S3's season break, but it doesn't. (That's not even when it's aired in real time.) It seems to happen during summer 2015, maybe in May or June. Since Scott Lang breaks out of prison in July 2015, we have to put Daredevil S2 before Ant-Man but after SHIELD S2 ends (and well before SHIELD S3 even starts).

Lastly, I'm pretty sure we'll only get through SHIELD S3 episode 19 before Civil War, not episode 20.

So that timeline was perfect! Right up until Guardians of the Galaxy.
Daredevil S2 takes place from Summer until Winter (Christmas) 2015.
I may actually leave a comment with these on the original post so Geekritique can edit the list accordingly.

Tom_Cody

Which fits into the rumor that Thor 3 will be a "road trip" styled film as Thor and Hulk travel from one location to the next through the realms towards the final showdown.
Right, exactly.
Ant-Man was a heist film out of necessity for the story, there's nothing theyd really be stealing in the sequel, I'm assuming. If it's going to be about exploring the microverse to rescue Janet I want it to go all in on the "weird science" and adventure feel that Marvel can't do in a Fantastic Four movie.
I think you might be right. I listened to an interview with Payton Reid today (from back when the film was released) and he said that Phase III would very cosmic in look and feel. Exploring the realms in Thor as well as Dr. Strange definitely fit into that.

Has this been posted?

MCU Supercut - The Road to Civil War

Little fan video parsing together footage from all over the MCU, including TV. Does an excellent job at highlighting the different philosophies of Tony and Steve, as well as their core values.

Includes bits from the Civil War trailers as well, so avoid if you're trying to go into the movie blind.

DirtyLarry

I have pretty much been a huge fan of everything Marvel has done in the past 4 or so years give or take one or two not so great releases, and even the not so great releases have been good.
This latest batch of Marvel stuff has been unbelievable for someone my age. It is important to try and visualize just how much I lost my shit at the original Spider-Man and Hulk TV shows from the late 70's. I fucking loved them even though they were so, so SO damn bootleg. When they came out, and I was 5, they blew my mind.

So to go from them to what we have now is seriously a dream come true. No hyperbole there. My 5 year old self watching that Spider-Man TV show loving it literally would have lost his shit and needed to be locked up in an institution if you showed me a 30 second clip of the movies they are making today.

So with that said, after binge watching Daredevil Season 2 this weekend (which alone was a minor miracle as the stars aligned to let me binge watch, Season 1 took me over a month to watch), Daredevil S2 may very well be my favorite thing Marvel has released so far. I am a HUGE fan of Frank Castle and I finally feel like they have done that character justice. Even though the DD show takes a few liberties from the comics, I feel like they do a pretty damn good job at staying pretty faithful overall. Just is so damn good.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Elektra died and returned in the Comics too, The Hand has a big plot point with making dead persons alive again and Elektra was the Leader of the Hand in the books.

Cant wait to see her return im The Defenders
HUGE DD S2 FINALE SPOILER
Yeah, let's not forget that The Hand dug her from her grave and put her in the resurrection sarcophagus at the end. She's coming back.

Time for an MCU romantic comedy.
The Bring It On sequel we deserve.

El Topo

Time for an MCU romantic comedy.

Probably saving that for Captain Marvel (even though it makes no sense).
"Carol Danvers is late for a date when she runs into a mysterious giant Kree machine that emits a strange radiation and grants her super powers. She becomes the superheroine Captain Marvel, who takes on the most nefarious villains, but can she master her biggest challenge, her love life?"

"Carol Danvers is late for a date when she runs into a mysterious giant Kree machine that emits a strange radiation and grants her super powers. She becomes the superheroine Captain Marvel, who takes on the most nefarious villains, but can she master her biggest challenge, her love life?"

Sadly, that's more interesting than anything Captain Marvel has ever done in any of her comic runs. She's easily the largest challenge in all the proposed MCU films IMO. Not a single notable villain or storyline in sight. I have faith that they will retune and elevate her material a great deal to something worthy of the MCU.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am a little bit worried about the coming weeks. Either way how much money BvS and Civil War will make and how good they will be, GAF is going to be a awful toxic place.

El Topo

Sadly, that's more interesting than anything Captain Marvel has ever done in any of her comic runs. She's easily the largest challenge in all the proposed MCU films IMO. Not a single notable villain or storyline in sight. I have faith that they will retune and elevate her material a great deal to something worthy of the MCU.

Eh. It's not as if they straight up copied storylines from the comics for all their movies. That said, the three volumes of hers I've read were incredibly uninspired. How do you fuck up "Journey through the universe to help someone and find yourself"?

LaNaranja

Staring Kristen Bell and Don Cheadle. Directed by Garry Marshall.

curb

Banned
I love Captain Marvel and really enjoy her KSD run (well, minus Carol Corps) but I can't really think of anything that would directly translate into a good movie plot. As such, no matter how much I love her character, I would have been totally fine with her just showing up in the Avengers and other MCU movies. I can't help but wonder if announcing her solo movie was just to be against Wonder Woman.

mreddie

I love Captain Marvel and really enjoy her KSD run (well, minus Carol Corps) but I can't really think of anything that would directly translate into a good movie plot. As such, no matter how much I love her character, I would have been totally fine with her just showing up in the Avengers and other MCU movies. I can't help but wonder if announcing her solo movie was just to be against Wonder Woman.

Yep, Feige wanted a rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom