• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

Not sure where it's from, but Quick needs to use this as the banner in the OT for Civil War:
xsgKre5.jpg

BLACKLAC

^^^ Agreed.

"I'm excited to work with Thor," Joe Russo says. "They're doing some really interesting stuff with Ragnarok and where he's gonna be at the beginning of Infinity War is gonna be a very interesting place and I think very profound. I think he's gonna have a real emotional motivation after that."

So, Thanos gonna fuck Asgard up?

If so, called it.

curb

Banned
On Infinity War I & II:
“The movies are very very different from one another,” said Anthony Russo. “It’s not a part one and part two scenario, necessarily. They’re just two different expressions. I think it creates a misconception that we’re shooting them at the same time.”

Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1 and 2 Will Be Very Different Movies

I had assumed it was a true part one and two story. I'm really interested in seeing what those movies are going to be about.

jph139

I remember them saying something like that before - that it wasn't a single movie they split in half, but two completely separate movies that, in the end, tell one complete story. They weren't conceptualized as "Infinity War I and II."

Which pushes me to think that Part I is, in fact, Thanos Quest with appearances by Thor and the Guardians and a few others. It being titled "Avengers" is just an easy way to market it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On Infinity War I & II:

Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1 and 2 Will Be Very Different Movies

I had assumed it was a true part one and two story. I'm really interested in seeing what those movies are going to be about.

From that article:

“For us there’s a through line from Winter Soldier, through Civil War, right to Infinity War,” said Anthony Russo. “In our mind, the storytelling arc moves that way.”

“There’s an overarching story that’s going to be told through all four films,” added Joe Russo. “And I think having the amount of characters we have in [Civil War] certainly prepares us to deal with probably triple the amount of characters in Infinity War.”

Hmmm...that quote alone may be thread-worthy, lol. Someone go make it. ;P

curb

Banned
From that article:

Hmmm...that quote alone may be thread-worthy, lol. Someone go make it. ;P

I was going to point that out when I posted the article but I remember that whole "infinity war has like, 67 characters" thing and figured it had been talked about enough.

inky

I was going to point that out when I posted the article but I remember that whole "infinity war has like, 67 characters" thing and figured it had been talked about enough.

Yeah, people took that comment literally which brought about a ton of random speculation.

It's always fun to make a list and try to guess what the shot is going to look tho (you know what I'm talking about).

With rumors that the Guardians are getting bigger (Nebula, Yondu, etc.) it's still going to be a pretty large number I think.

curb

Banned
Yeah, people took that comment literally which brought about a ton of random speculation.

It's always fun to make a list and try to guess what the shot is going to look tho (you know what I'm talking about).

With rumors that the Guardians are getting bigger (Nebula, Yondu, etc.) it's still going to be a pretty large number I think.

Even this "number" is just a rough guess on their part. It's kinda non-news to me.

"The Russos reveal how many characters will be in Infinity War. You won't believe how large the cast is. Click Here"

Probably a better place to post this:

'Inhumans' is still happening, just not for 2019

So maybe Infinity War pt. 2 will stay as their last Phase 3 film after all?

Feige, don't you mess with my Captain Marvel movie any more.

Captain Marvel Director Announcement Soon, Black Widow Movie Still A Possibility

(The Civil War press junket producing lots of gems)

While we’ve heard plenty of news regarding the other upcoming films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, things have been relatively quiet on the Captain Marvel forefront. We know that both Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve are hard at work writing the screenplay, but other than that, no official news has been released from Marvel. But according to Kevin Feige, we can expect that to change relatively soon. As I’m sure you’re all aware by now, the press tour for Captain America: Civil War has officially kicked off, and during yesterday’s press junket, the folks over at Fandango were able to speak with the Marvel Studios head honcho and ask him not only about Civil War, but also the rest of Phase Three – including Captain Marvel.

Concerning an official announcement regarding the director of the upcoming film? Feige promises that we’ll hear more about that in the “next month or two” – so basically, very soon. He also hints at the possible announcement of cast members by the end of summer, something that would make sense as Avengers: Infinity War begins shooting late this year, and if they plan to include Carol, she’ll need to be cast by then.

“I think we’ll be announcing a filmmaker in the next month or two, and probably some cast members later in the summer, at the end of the summer,” Feige told us, alluding to the possibility that Marvel will make a big Captain Marvel announcement at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con in July.

As to trying to get any sort of details out of him? Feige just reiterated that the film will be about Carol’s journey to being Captain Marvel.

Of course, while the addition of Captain Marvel to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a welcome one, there are still plenty of fans that would love to see characters like Black Widow get their time in the spotlight. Of course, there have been reports that Marvel has been developing a Black Widow film for sometime, although we have yet to see one, but Feige says it is still a possibility in the future.

As far as whether Marvel has any plans to produce additional female-led films, Feige says they do, just not between now and 2019. “Yes, for sure, I think [Black] Widow at some point would be great,” he teases. “But when you start talking about things that are now four/five years away…sometimes we do that. Dr. Strange has been talked about for ten years. But we’re focused on the next nine movies, which is a lot, between now and 2019.”

Captain Marvel is set to hit movie theaters on March 8th, 2019.

El Topo

Captain Marvel Director Announcement Soon, Black Widow Movie Still A Possibility

(The Civil War press junket producing lots of gems)

YES!

I mean, I don't buy that they'll ever make a BW movie, but at least it seems as if they're not going to push back Captain Marvel any further.

curb

Banned
Despite the Captain Marvel movie sounding like an origin story, I really hope she shows up in Infinity War I if not sooner. I don't care if they go back and fill in the blanks of how she became CM with the solo flick but I just don't want to wait another three years for her to show up. I know Marvel generally doesn't go backwards and do origins after the fact but 2019 seems so far away.

El Topo

Phase 4. Black Widow confronting her past and taking down the organization that created her.

I don't buy it, especially not after Feige's previous comments. If they didn't make one after Lucy grossed $460m they're not going to make one in four or five years. He's all about dodging the critical questions.
They should've asked him about the lack of female superheroes in MCU instead.

Despite the Captain Marvel movie sounding like an origin story, I really hope she shows up in Infinity War I if not sooner. I don't care if they go back and fill in the blanks of how she became CM with the solo flick but I just don't want to wait another three years for her to show up. I know Marvel generally doesn't go backwards and do origins after the fact but 2019 seems so far away.

I wouldn't be surprised if she only gets her powers as a side effect (or consequence/result) of Thanos wrecking shit on Earth. I doubt they'll go the Kree route. That said, there's this blonde actress cast for GotG 2 that's unaccounted for, no?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Especially since their Tumbler almost announced it a couple of times.

May this been forbidden by Perlmutter maybe? I mean, Feige gained controll only a few months ago, is it possible make the work to announce that kind of project in this time?

curb

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if she only gets her powers as a side effect (or consequence/result) of Thanos wrecking shit on Earth. I doubt they'll go the Kree route. That said, there's this blonde actress cast for GotG 2 that's unaccounted for, no?

I thought someone was on record somewhere saying no Captain Marvel in GotG2.

BLACKLAC

I don't buy it, especially not after Feige's previous comments. If they didn't make one after Lucy grossed $460m they're not going to make one in four or five years. He's all about dodging the critical questions.
They should've asked him about the lack of female superheroes in MCU instead.

They currently have Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Gamora and Black Widow in the universe. With Thor 3, Guardians 2, Black Panther and possibly Spider-man adding more.

I don't see it lacking currently.

I thought someone was on record somewhere saying no Captain Marvel in GotG2.

Gunn himself.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/avengers-infinity-war-parts-1-and-2-will-be-very-diffe-1770201271

Most of the same stuff we've already read, but Feige confims a Guardians 3 in Phase 4 somewhere.

Again, no one would talk about any specifics in the movie—but both the writers and directors said they’ve been talking to the directors and writers of the other Phase 3 movies on an almost weekly basis, to make sure everything lines up right. And both pairs used the word “culmination” when referring to the films. Does that suggest the Marvel Cinematic Universe could be over in 2020? Not at all.

“We’re only working on what’s been announced through the end of 2019,” said Feige. “And it is still a big chess board for 2020 and beyond, but certainly I would say Guardians 3 is [one film that’s] up there. I don’t know what exactly the order will be.”

El Topo

They currently have Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Gamora and Black Widow in the universe. With Thor 3, Guardians 2, Black Panther and possibly Spider-man adding more.

Gamora and Black Widow are hardly superheroes, Wasp hasn't even appeared on-screen yet. I mean, if that is your standard, might as well bring up Agent 13. Come on.

El Topo

Why isnt Black Widows supposed to be a superhero?

So Agent 13 is a superhero? Okay, I guess Black Widow has the whole manipulated/trained thing going for her. Technically Gamora as well. Sure. No indication on the screen, but I guess we can pretend that counts to feel better?

Cipherr

And why the hell does Gamora randomly not count?

Like, I know we certainly need more female superheroes. But just randomly saying certain Avengers (Black Widow/Scarlett Witch) dont count, or Gamora doesnt count when you are happy to consider Drax, Rocket and Hawkeye as part of the "Sausage fest" is just being straight up dishonest.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So Agent 13 is a superhero? Okay, I guess Black Widow has the whole manipulated/trained thing going for her.
I dont talk about Agent 13, she is not really a character, more someone who stood around and aimed with a weapon, but you said that Black Widows isnt a superhero and thats what I dont understand.

El Topo

And why the hell does Gamora randomly not count?

Like, I know we certainly need more female superheroes. But just randomly saying certain Avengers (Black Widow/Scarlett Witch) dont count, or Gamora doesnt count when you are happy to consider Drax, Rocket and Hawkeye as part of the "Sausage fest" is just being straight up dishonest.

What? Where did I say anything about Drax, Rocket or Hawkeye? Where did I say Scarlet Witch isn't a superhero? This is just sad.

I dont talk about Agent 13, she is not really a character, more someone who stood around and aimed with a weapon, but you said that Black Widows isnt a superhero and thats what I dont understand.

Why? She can shoot, seems to kick Bucky in one of the trailers and is Team Iron Man. Heck, she's even going to Jimmy Kimmel with the rest. That seems to be more than sufficient for many.

BLACKLAC

Gamora and Black Widow are hardly superheroes, Wasp hasn't even appeared on-screen yet. I mean, if that is your standard, might as well bring up Agent 13. Come on.

Gamora is mechanically modified and daughter of Thanos, Black Widow is a highly trained assassin. Both have been in battles punching Way above their weight class! I think that should count! Wasp #1 we see in action, before being trapped into the micro-verse, and the tease at the end while also being in the title of the sequel should also count!

Also Sif.....!

El Topo

Superpowers arent needed to be a superheroes. I think you define it in that way.

I mean, the general definition on Wikipedia is incredibly broad.
In modern popular fiction, a superhero (sometimes rendered super-hero or super hero) is a type of heroic character who possesses extraordinary talents, supernatural phenomena, or superhuman powers and who is dedicated to a moral goal or protecting the public.

The problem is when we actually look at the characters. I feel like people are too lenient when it comes to MCU. If we only look at Civil War (judging from the trailers):

Superpowers:
Captain America, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man

Super Suit:
Black Panther*, Ant-Man, Iron Man, War Machine
*Probably also has superpowers?

Trained really hard:
Black Widow, Hawkeye, Agent 13*
*I mean, she probably counts as well?

Looking at the other movies doesn't really paint a better picture. I know I'm a dick in this regard, but the current state in MCU is just sad. There's one woman with superpowers, an assassin (that never shows any signs of those modifications they talk about), a spy/assassin, a warrior (that never shows much), a queen (that is dead anyway), a superhero in limbo (that's probably really old by now) and a woman that temporarily had superpowers.

curb

Banned
I think when we count Batman as a superhero (trained really hard, and uses a lot of gimmicks), Black Widow should be fine, too.

I'm not saying this to seriously weigh in on this but I've never thought of Batman as a superhero either. He and Stark are just rich, smart guys.

AMUSIX

Women are clearly underrepresented in all comic movies, but suggesting that Black Widow is not a superhero is just being obtuse. Noone's going to argue that Batman isn't a superhero, or Green Arrow, or Hawkeye, or the fuckton of other no-powered superheroes that rely on nothing but training, experience, and gadgets.

In the MCU, Widow has already shown that she is capable of feats far beyond a normal person, and has used quite a few gadgets, such as the grapplehook, her stings, the electrified batons, etc. Hell, she even got to show her greatest ability when she out-tricked the trickster god.

I definitely agree that the MCU needs more women superheros. So far there's really only been Widow, Gamora, and Lady Sif. If you include TV offerings, it gets a little better, with Jessica Jones, Mockingbird, Elektra, and Quake. Fortunately, already confirmed in the movies, we have Mantis, Wasp, and Captain Marvel. By the time Infinity War rolls around, we might have a dozen or so, which would be nice.

I'm not saying this to seriously weigh in on this but I've never thought of Batman as a superhero either. He and Stark are just rich, smart guys.

DAMNIT CURB! I JUST said that noone's going to argue that Batman isn't a superhero! Why do you have to do this to me??

El Topo

I think when we count Batman as a superhero (trained really hard, and uses a lot of gimmicks), Black Widow should be fine, too.

He also has a secret identity, is a billionaire and genius, has a shark repellent spray, a batmobile, (depending on the problem) a supersuit and if the writer wants it due to prep time a solution to everything. He also fights crime on a daily basis? Anyway, emphasis on the shark repellent spray.

I get what El Topo is saying. When you count agents of SHIELD like Black Widow or Hawkeye as superheroes, you kind of also have to include just about every field agent in SHIELD as one. May in Agents of SHIELD is technically a superhero by this definition (as well as Agent 13). It's kind of a murky area that I don't really care about though since it's largely semantic. They are heroes and that's all that really matters.

shingi70

Banned
I gotta say even with movie bloat, I wish Wasp was in Civil War just to have some more female representation.

Here's the Logo for Cloak and Dagger. I'm really excited for this series becuase while I love marvel TV, I feel they've been missing an overt superhero show in the vein of Flash or Spergirl.

6KfBHEe.jpg

AMUSIX

This issue is that Widow and Hawkeye aren't your typical agents. They have skillsets far above and beyond anyone else. Hawkeye's accuracy is, without a doubt, superhuman, even though it's explained by nothing more than a natural ability which has been trained and honed to perfection. Widow, likewise, is not the typical Red Room graduate. She went through the same training as all of the other little russian girls, but she had natural abilities and traits that put her far above any of them.

Superheroes don't need superpowers.

Anth0ny

I'm honestly shocked that Black Widow isn't a movie yet. Like... if they're going to do Captain Marvel, why not Black Widow as well? They clearly believe in a female lead solo superhero movie. Seems like a sure bet, Scar Jo is a superstar.

I'm honestly shocked that Black Widow isn't a movie yet. Like... if they're going to do Captain Marvel, why not Black Widow as well? They clearly believe in a female lead solo superhero movie. Seems like a sure bet, Scar Jo is a superstar.

Because they can only do so many films a year and the espionage angle of the MCU has already been pretty well explored.

curb

Banned
Because they can only do so many films a year and the espionage angle of the MCU has already been pretty well explored.

Take Salt, set it in the MCU, swap out Jolie for Johansson (or a Widow/Hawkeye team-up)...there's your Black Widow movie

Salt was the first thing I thought of at the suggestion of espionage being well represented in the MCU. Winter Soldier has some elements of that genre but I don't think they've gone out with that type of story yet.

Pachimari

I am insanely excited to see Thor in the hands of the Russos. Hopefully they will do justice to him and make him hard punching, hard hitting and powerful with Mjolnir.

It will happen. Thor will rise.

this. they partially went for the militarized/SHIELD-based Avengers in this universe, so seeing Widow do her thing isn't really something that would be new compared to what they're going for instead.

Now, gimme a Secret Avengers movie, make ScarJo the team lead, I'm down for that. They could do much weirder and interesting things there.

mreddie

Details for Thompson’s part have not been revealed, but she could be the female lead as Natalie Portman, who was the female lead as Dr. Jane Foster in the previous two Thor installments, is not returning.

Do we know if this is legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom