• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I feel like that's a big "if". If she's not going to be onscreen for it then I doubt they can do it and make it have any meaning. Unless they don't and Thor is just torn about having feelings for someone else.

Two someone elses, counting Lady Sif.

At this rate, Thor 4 will be a harem comedy.

mreddie

I think the last I saw she was interested but it had to line up with her TV schedule. That was a while ago.
giphy.gif

Oh fuck you WB/NBC.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
X-Men producer Simon Kinberg open to doing a crossover with the Avengers

"But I would love to, someday, in part, heal the rift between the world of X-Men and the world of Avengers," Tim Miller added.

"I think we all would," Simon Kinberg continued. "And I think there's so much crossover in the comic it would be neat to see those characters one day share a movie."

"Both of us are actually quite close with Kevin," Simon Kinberg says, "and have a profound amount of respect for what he does. And it would be fun to all team up one day, somehow, together, if that could work."

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Don't get me wrong, I think Fox is doing a fine job with the X-Men but I don't think those two worlds would mesh well.

I agree, but I can't help but feel Hugh Jackman has been a bit cheated with playing Wolverine. Like, 9 films or something and still no scenes with Captain America et al? I'd be pissed.

Incidentally, i'm looking forward to Apocalypse a LOT more than I was BvS and Suicide Squad. The reboot trilogy is all sorts of good stuff.

curb

Banned
I agree, but I can't help but feel Hugh Jackman has been a bit cheated with playing Wolverine. Like, 9 films or something and still no scenes with Captain America et al? I'd be pissed.

Incidentally, i'm looking forward to Apocalypse a LOT more than I was BvS and Suicide Squad. The reboot trilogy is all sorts of good stuff.

They can just have Jackman play a version of Wolverine for the MCU universe and then use that to introduce the multiverse in time for Avengers 5: Time Runs Out.

i bet they have a backup script in case they get x-men back for avengers 3, just like they had a backup for civil war in case they got spidey back.

I think the chance of them getting back X-Men any time soon is so slim that I bet they don't. Fantastic Four on the other hand...

Quick

Banned

Personally, no thanks. At least, not with the way the X-Men are currently handled.

Don't get me wrong, I think Fox is doing a fine job with the X-Men but I don't think those two worlds would mesh well.

I'm of this mindset as well. The X-Men universe is just way too deep into its own story that it would clash too much with the MCU.

I can see this happen if they reboot the X-Men universe and shelve that universe entirely for at least 5 years.

Personally, no thanks. At least, not with the way the X-Men are currently handled.

I don't think they're being handled well at all.

If you pick up some classic claremont you see the swagger and joy and brilliance of the stories and characters the movies draw from and how every ounce of it sucked away into bland costumes, overstuffed character sets, and dull plotting.

Give Marvel full reign and make the X-Men the misfit superheros they were always supposed to be, standing in contrast to the rest of the MU, playing pick up baseball while Captain America did whatever the fuck he does, being hunted in sewers while fuckin Wasp was in the Kree Skrull War or whatever.

The X-Men are unique and beautiful because they live in a world where these amazing heroes are respected and adored while they save the world the same way and get pelted with fucking rocks.

curb

Banned
Give Marvel full reign and make the X-Men the misfit superheros they were always supposed to be, standing in contrast to the rest of the MU, playing pick up baseball while Captain America did whatever the fuck he does, being hunted in sewers while fuckin Wasp was in the Kree Skrull War or whatever.

I'd be okay with this but I think the current X-Men continuity is fine for what it is (but I'm also not an X-Fan). I'd be quite happy with Marvel studios doing right by X-Men and Fantastic Four properly inside the MCU though.

I think the Singerverse is well overdue for a reboot, but I don't think the X-Men belong in the MCU either. On a conceptual level, they work best in their own universe.

curb

Banned
Don't want X-men. Just allow the MCU to play with Dr. Doom and the other half of cosmic Marvel please.

Out of all the properties I'd like Marvel to have access to, X-Men would be the lowest on my list. That's probably because Fox haven't completely mishandled that group overall.

inky

X-Men work perfectly on their own. They should stay that way.

FF would be great in the MCU, but frankly, they are perfectly fine by themselves too, there's just no one at Fox who fucking knows how to make them work or understand what they are about. Trank wanting to make a darkish, Cronenberg inspired movie about people with super powers wasn't the worst idea (on paper), just don't fucking use the F4 to do that. Of course the studio panicked once they realized the fucking shitshow they had in their hands.

I think the Singerverse is well overdue for a reboot, but I don't think the X-Men belong in the MCU either. On a conceptual level, they work best in their own universe.

We just had one with DoFP.

How? The whole conceptual point of their existence is in contrast to "accepted" and "acceptable" heroes.

I don't think it's the whole point as much as it is an interesting side angle. The main point has always been about their relationship with humanity who hates them and fears them because they are powerful and unchecked and the next step of evolution here to supplant them. It's a racism allegory. The contrast with other heroes is more a commentary on how hypocritical it is to treat other superheroes differently just because they got their powers in a different way. That's an angle you lose when they're sequestered in their own universe, but it's hardly the point.

I don't think it's the whole point as much as it is an interesting side angle. The main point has always been about their relationship with humanity who hates them and fears them because they are powerful and unchecked and the next step of evolution here to supplant them. It's a racism allegory. The contrast with other heroes is more a commentary on how hypocritical it is to treat other superheroes differently just because they got their powers in a different way. That's an angle you lose when they're sequestered in their own universe, but it's hardly the point.

Really can't agree with this when they were created at the same time as all the original elements of the MU, where one of the primary drivers was the idea that it was a shared universe. You kind of have to bend over backwards to say "you don't really need it" when you've had it for like 60 years and the one example what things are like without it are uninspired dreck.

Except for Deadpool, of course, but that's like saying "Detectives don't really need mysteries to solve, just look at Ace Ventura'

Pachimari

I'm of this mindset as well. The X-Men universe is just way too deep into its own story that it would clash too much with the MCU.

I can see this happen if they reboot the X-Men universe and shelve that universe entirely for at least 5 years.

Or just make an alternate timeline with some of the members going through a portal into Marvel's universe or some shit like that.

IconGrist

If anything they can wrap up the current X-Men arc(s) and do a reboot movie (and possibly follow up) that lends itself well to the MCU and bingo bango...

giphy.gif

Pachimari

DoFP wasn't anything close to a full reboot, c'mon. More half-assed quasi-reboot that still leaves a ton of continuity baggage in place from FC and DoFP, hence the main franchise being stuck doing period pieces for no thematic reason I can discern from the Apocalypse marketing.

And the X-Men *characters* work fine in the broader Marvel context. The core *concept* of the property, however, makes much more sense in a universe where only mutants have superpowers.

Really can't agree with this when they were created at the same time as all the original elements of the MU, where one of the primary drivers was the idea that it was a shared universe. You kind of have to bend over backwards to say "you don't really need it" when you've had it for like 60 years and the one example what things are like without it are uninspired dreck.

Except for Deadpool, of course, but that's like saying "Detectives don't really need mysteries to solve, just look at Ace Ventura'
Sure they were created within that greater context, but that doesn't change the fact that their core existence is way more about humans hating them rather than how they contrast with Captain America and Iron man.

I'm not saying it wouldn't add any new possibilities, but is it integral to making a good X-Men story? Nah. The sandbox they have to play with is massive compared to any other property. Think about all the biggest X-Men stories. Now how many of them had any major involvement with someone Fox doesn't have access to?

DoFP wasn't anything close to a full reboot, c'mon. More half-assed quasi-reboot that still leaves a ton of continuity baggage in place, hence the main franchise being stuck doing period pieces for no thematic reason I can discern from the Apocalypse marketing.
It's not a full reboot but it's pretty close. Fox obviously doesn't give a shit about the continuity in relation to the original timeline. Deadpool is proof that they'll play extremely fast and loose with it if they need/want to.

TDLink

Fox's X-Men universe is a mess right now. I don't think even they know what's going on.

X1 - 3 clearly are in the same universe. Then First Class was a reboot...but also a prequel, sort of. Then Days of Future Past was part of both universes. Implying they're the same universe...but also maybe not and just using the same actors. Now Apocalypse is coming and looking to disregard the X1-3 universe.

Then there's the spin-offs. Despite using Jackman as Wolverine in everything, Origins doesn't seem to be in line with "The Wolverine" or the upcoming third Wolverine movie at all. They're all kind of standalone. Or maybe "The Wolverine" is connected to the new one. Who knows. They all seem pretty disconnected from the "main" X-Men series though. Er...both main X-Men series. The original and the reboot. Which is only kinda a reboot. Maybe.

And Deadpool is certainly in its own universe, but it still uses other X-Men.

Who knows what the upcoming Gambit movie will be in, if it even happens.

The whole thing is a mess.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Fox's X-Men universe is a mess right now. I don't think even they know what's going on.

X1 - 3 clearly are in the same universe. Then First Class was a reboot...but also a prequel, sort of. Then Days of Future Past was part of both universes. Implying they're the same universe...but also maybe not and just using the same actors. Now Apocalypse is coming and looking to disregard the X1-3 universe.

Then there's the spin-offs. Despite using Jackman as Wolverine in everything, Origins doesn't seem to be in line with "The Wolverine" or the upcoming third Wolverine movie at all. They're all kind of standalone. Or maybe "The Wolverine" is connected to the new one. Who knows. They all seem pretty disconnected from the "main" X-Men series though. Er...both main X-Men series. The original and the reboot. Which is only kinda a reboot. Maybe.

And Deadpool is certainly in its own universe, but it still uses other X-Men.

Who knows what the upcoming Gambit movie will be in, if it even happens.

The whole thing is a mess.

Huh? It's my understanding that Days of Future Past overwrites X1-3. And First Class was a prequel to X1-3 and took place before the history-changing overwrite that happens during DoFP.

XO:W and TW were in the timeline with X1-3 and FC that was overwritten by DoFP. It's basically a clean slate now.

Deadpool I guess is just an alternate universe that exists to meet the comedic needs of the character.

TDLink

Huh? It's my understanding that Days of Future Past overwrites X1-3. And First Class was a prequel to X1-3 and took place before the history-changing overwrite that happens during DoFP.

XO:W and TW were in the timeline with X1-3 and FC that was overwritten by DoFP. It's basically a clean slate now.

Deadpool I guess is just an alternate universe that exists to meet the comedic needs of the character.

I really don't think any of that is clear at all. In fact you say it's basically a clean slate...except it's not at all because of Deadpool. And then everyone's contract is up after Apocalypse. And then is the new Wolverine movie in continuity with the prior 2? (Which really didn't seem to be in continuity with eachother).

Frankly I don't care too much about FOX's X-Men Universe but it's hard to say it's not confusing.

Yrael

Wait, Jamie isn't back either? I thought she was.

I think the last I saw she was interested but it had to line up with her TV schedule. That was a while ago.

It's still very much up in the air. Jaimie Alexander was asked about it a few days ago, but she gave a non-answer ("Who knows?") much like Tom Hiddleston has done in the past:

During her video Facebook Q&A yesterday, one viewer asked Jaimie Alexander if Sif will have any kind of role in Thor: Ragnarok. This was her response:

Am I in Thor 3? I get asked that every time I do this! I actually don't know. I have no idea. I'm guessing no? But I'm not sure, because nobody's told me. I have no clue.

This is a turnaround from when Jaimie Alexander said last year that she’d definitely be in Thor: Ragnarok, and that Sif would have a "pivotal role." Either she’s just playing coy with the fans or her status with the movie somehow changed in the last nine months. The blockbuster did hire a new writer last December, so perhaps the story changed enough that Sif no longer had a part. With principal photography kicking off in Australia this June, she'll will find out one way or another if she’s participating.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Lady...-Jaimie-Alexander-Sounds-Doubtful-123247.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom