• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

Wait, for someone not too familiar with Marvel comics, how does this cinematic universe continue after Infiinty War Part 2 without a reboot? Isn't Thanos the biggest baddest villain in the galaxy? What's left after he's defeated?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Wait, for someone not too familiar with Marvel comics, how does this cinematic universe continue after Infiinty War Part 2 without a reboot? Isn't Thanos the biggest baddest villain in the galaxy? What's left after he's defeated?

Not everything has to be about escalation. Life goes on. Thanos has gained and lost ultimate power multiple times in the comics, that doesn't mean that they stopped doing comics.

Neoxon

The Celestials, for starters. And if Marvel lands a deal with Fox to get the F4 back, Galactus & Annihilus.

duckroll

No one is really watching these movies for the villains. They can do anything and keep it going if they want to. Anyway the only thing Thanos is the biggest and baddest of in the Marvel Universe is the biggest and baddest jobber. Don't let the marketing get to you. :p

If Marvel can get the Fantastic Four rights back by 2020, they'll have another 3 Phases worth of content to run with. Hickman's been very good to Marvel in the last decade.

IHaveIce

Banned
Beyonder, Doom, Mad Celestials, Annihilation, Hickmann story lines.
These are ways to go bigger than Thanos if wanted.

mreddie

Hi res logo

Cf5l-ofW8AAyvF-.jpg:large

BLACKLAC

Something tells me Ant-man and Wasp is going to feel like what a Fantastic Four movie should feel like because I'm damn sure they are going after Janet.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Latest Marvel podcast had Sam Rockwell on it. Mentions some stuff about Iron Man 2 (he had a phone call where they discussed him potentially being Iron Man but then RDJ did his screentest and, well, that happened).

He says he's up for coming back if it's fun (though doesn't really appear well-versed in MCU). Thinks Suicide Squad is a great concept.

Also mentioned that his wife Leslie Bibb (Christine Everhart in Iron Man/Ant-Man) has been contacted by Marvel to do something, so we might see her again sometime soon.

curb

Banned
I'm okay with the Saturday morning cartoon style of the Spidey logo although I was really pulling for "Spectacular". I would guess that after "Amazing" they probably wanted to make sure everyone knew this was a different Spidey which is a good move.

Man, that Doctor Strange trailer. I was looking forward to it but now I'm super excited. That looks great. The MCU was incomplete without Tilda Swinton.

jph139

Not a huge fan of the logo, or the title. But they've been going with "Hero: Subtitle" for most of their franchises, save for Guardians, so I guess it's more sensible than starting a new trilogy or whatever.

tomtom94

I like the logo's vibe, but I'm not sure if it really gels with the other films in the MCU right now - think a second version might be better.

Nevertheless, the mere vibe of the logo suggests they're doing this right.

I like the logo's vibe, but I'm not sure if it really gels with the other films in the MCU right now - think a second version might be better.

Nevertheless, the mere vibe of the logo suggests they're doing this right.

How so? Like what does it remind you of as far as a classic take on Spider-Man?

shield

Thanks for that, here's the updated banner:

rF5FRpk.png

As always, all credit to shield for the original.

Dude, great job! I fell out of love somewhat with the MCU after Age of Ultron, so I'm glad you've taken over my old pet project and kept it up to date

It's also nice to know that all MCU logos are still either silver/white, yellow/gold, or red :)

curb

Banned
Well, the review thread is up so I'm going dark. Save all the good talk until I get back. See y'all in a few weeks.

tomtom94

How so? Like what does it remind you of as far as a classic take on Spider-Man?

I personally didn't notice the retro until it was pointed out to me. I just like that they're going for a "young and fun" look, which is distinct from both the previous Spider-Man films and the other films of the MCU.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/michael-keaton-spider-man-villain-homecoming-2-1201752759/

Michael Keaton Eyed to Play Villain in ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Michael Keaton could be returning to the superhero universe — but this time, as a villain.

Sources tell Variety that Keaton is in early talks to play a villain in the Marvel and Sony co-production “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” starring Tom Holland as the latest Spidey.

Marvel and Sony had no comment on the casting.

Rlan

Rewatching Avengers 1 at the moment. I've been behind on Agents of Shield for a while. Has there been any reference to whether any of the the Avengers know that Coulson is still alive?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...ve-team-open-to-spider-man-crossover#/slide/1

Tim Miller and Simon Kinberg are at it again:

Deadpool Creative Team Open to Spider-Man Crossover

During the press day for Fox’s Deadpool Blu-ray release, director Tim Miller and producer Simon Kinberg talked about possibly getting Spider-Man to meet his biggest fan: Deadpool. Miller shared, “Simon and I have been trying to build bridges.”

With all of the deals that have recently started happening, we asked if they could get visitation rights to Sony‘s friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Kinberg laughed, “I would love to see it. Both of us are close with [Marvel’s] Kevin [Feige], we respect and love Kevin. If it were even remotely possible, we will find a way ’cause we’d would love to see it.”

If any guy could vouch this working, it’s Kinberg, who’s produced for both Fox (X-Men) and Disney (Star Wars Rebels). He’s the one who got Fox to take a chance on the long-gestating Deadpool film, which finally paid off and it’s now the highest-grossing R-rated movie. However, at this point in time, Kinberg officially states, “I just don’t know if it would be possible.”

What I really liked about Deadpool is how the overall aesthetic is less like the drab and plain look of the Singer X-Men films and more like the MCU.

But when Black Widow leaked all SHIELD/HYDRA docs at the end of Winter Soldier, wouldn't one of the files contain Coulson and TAHITI project?
Or did no Avenger bothered to actually read the leaked docs? lol

No one within SHIELD other than Fury and Coulson even knew the full truth about the TAHITI project so it was probably not part of what leaked by Widow.

But when Black Widow leaked all SHIELD/HYDRA docs at the end of Winter Soldier, wouldn't one of the files contain Coulson and TAHITI project?
Or did no Avenger bothered to actually read the leaked docs? lol

Fury was so paranoid he kept a lot of stuff off the books. TAHITI and Hawkeye's family that we know of.

Gambit

Say, if Civil War is indeed as good as the critics say and maybe even as successful, do you think Captain America will continue as a film series?

It seems Iron Man will stay a trilogy, so will Thor, no doubt. But will Cap continue? Maybe with Bucky?

Say, if Civil War is indeed as good as the critics say and maybe even as successful, do you think Captain America will continue as a film series?

It seems Iron Man will stay a trilogy, so will Thor, no doubt. But will Cap continue? Maybe with Bucky?

There's really no clear indication that any of the initial series are done.

They may take a break sure but I would not be shocked if one or even two of the three make it into Phase 4.

I think Cap 4 is the safest bet, followed by Thor 4. But who knows, RDJ could surprise us. They very deliberately left the Mandarin thread open.

Quick

Banned
There's really no clear indication that any of the initial series are done.

They may take a break sure but I would not be shocked if one or even two of the three make it into Phase 4.

I think Cap 4 is the safest bet, followed by Thor 4. But who knows, RDJ could surprise us. They very deliberately left the Mandarin thread open.

I'd say a Cap 4 is the "likeliest", while Thor 4 isn't. I guess it'll depend on how Ragnarok shapes up.

Iron Man 4 falls somewhere in between.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Dude, great job! I fell out of love somewhat with the MCU after Age of Ultron, so I'm glad you've taken over my old pet project and kept it up to date

It's also nice to know that all MCU logos are still either silver/white, yellow/gold, or red :)

Thanks! Couldn't have made it without your original one.

And yeah, most MCU logos are a bit uninspired.

Sblargh

Banned
(this was going to be a new topic, but I decided it is not topic-worthy; so I decided to post here, which is also not a good fit, but the damage is less)

I was watching Kevin Smith talk about Deadpool and he brought up how cool would be an R Rated Wolverine movie.
And I was like "ehh", it's not really the lack of blood that makes Wolverine movies lacking, it's usually the lack of things for Wolverine to do. Yeah, he stabs people, but without a good supporting cast (or without him being part of a good supporting cast), he is kind of an grumpy immortal vigilante and that's tougher to translate in film than Fox thinks it is.

And then it hit me this brilliant idea:
You know the last time I thought turning the X-Men into murderers was a bad idea and it ended up being one of my favorite things ever?
Rick Remender's X-Force.

8832511.jpg

Spoilers about the comics storyline. If you have Marvel Unlimited, I just recommend going there now and reading it. It is amazing, it subverts expectations at all times, it is smart, it makes good use of its premisse, I love it.

This is the story.
Once upon a time, Cyclops was a quasi-dictator of an almost-extinct X-Island in San Francisco and he decided it would be a good idea to have a secret X-Men hit squad to preemptively murder threats to the mutant race. I didn't liked it, some people did, X-23 was in this team and I thought her presence there made me like every character less (because when you rescue a teenager from being a biological weapon and promises her a somewhat regular life as a mutant student, you don't just put her on your covert hit squad).
Eventually, Cyclops realized, just as I did, that this was a bad idea and shut X-Force down.
Enters Rick Remender.

Our story opens with Deadpool investigating something. He finds it, lets Wolverine knows, Wolverine assembles a group of people who is already fucked up enough that life as a secret killer won't fuck them up more. The team is:

Wolverine, Deadpool, Psylocke, Phantomex and, the name of our movie, the Angel.

Turns out that, what Deadpool found was a cult dedicated to ressurecting Apocalypse, one of the few supervillains who actually have the power to take over the world.
The team infiltrates the evil guys HQ and discover Apocalypse already has ressurected; only he is a child. The team debate what to do as they went there with the specific intention of murdering all those people to prevent this from happening? But killing a child? One that could be evil in the future? Is that too much? Is BANG!
Phantomex takes matters into his own hands and kills the child.

Only it turns out, Apocalypse has a kind of doomsday device set on himself that, should he die, a successor would then take the mantle of "Survival of the Strongest" incarnate, complete with incredible power sets. And that successor is his former horseman, the Angel, who, with the help of Psylocke, was actually succeeding in controlling the evil persona of the Archangel. Now he can't do it anymore. After killing a child, will X-Force target a teammate/friend/lover next?

Reasons why it would make a good movie:

Studios are dumb. They can mess this up and still be good.
By that, I mean, you can sold the script as an innocent "X-Men who kill, starring fan-favorites Wolverine and Deapool" and, sticking close enough to the source, it will be a decent action movie even if they mess up the point. Because the point, in my opinion, is exactly that you can't defeat evil by doing evil. Violence breeds violence, that kind of thing; but this point is never explicit, it's the subtext of the action itself and the action here is: X-Men kill, member of the team turn evil, Will X-Men kill him next?
A director could do the movie without having the same "morality" take as I do, and still have that in the story, because you can't escape it when your premise is "killing a bad guy only makes things worse".

It ties with their recent stuff
Say, isn't an apocalypse movie coming out soon? This is the perfect story to follow it up. It doesn't feature Apocalypse, so it won't be a repeat of the same villain, and yet, you can just hijack whatever Apocalypse is in that movie and use it as instant marketing for this one.

It's R rated for a good reason
This is a violent story about violence. You can have all the blood and gore and Deadpool making jokes about ending human lives and still you can humanize your violent characters because it's all about making them deal with the repercussions of their act. They went from killing henchmen for a ultra-powerful Hitler to killing ultra-powerful Hitler as a child because he might have one day grown up to be bad. And by doing so, they corrupted one of their own to the point that he is now the next ultra-powerful Hitler.

Reasons why it might not work.

Can you cut all the stuff you need to cut to make it a movie and still keep the story beats?

The Dark Angel saga is actually pretty long and it includes interdimensional travel to the actual paralel universe where Apocalypse is, indeed, ruling the world. That would need to go completely, imo. But it also has the segway of Phantomex, the one who actually murders kid Apocalypse, cloning him and raising him in a virtual world (?) as a way to atone for his sins. That kid apocalypse, rationalizes Phantomex, was already too old and too brainwashed, there was no saving him, but *this one*, this one I can raise right on a scenario that looks a lot like a Kansas farm, incidentally. That would also need to go, but then you take out that and how do you end the story?

Batman versus Superman already tried that and... well...

Violent superpeople dealing with the repercussions of their superviolence? Oh boy, where did I heard that before? Althought Wolverine and Deadpool fit in this world a lot better than Superman, it doesn't change the fact that we are making a movie where our heroes are not people we can connect with easily. They are supposed to be doing something we like to tell ourselves we would never do.
Remender's great trick in this story is actually having Deadpool being the heart of it all. Yes, Deadpool kills people for a living, he enjoys it, too, he actually enjoys it a lot, so it is difficult, but if you can make the audience buy that this has gone too far even for Deadpool, then now you have real stakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom