• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

curb

Banned
I missed this thread while I was on my Civil War blackout. It's good to be back.

That "leak" makes me laugh. That being said, I hope some of the Captain Marvel stuff is true. I love Carol but I can't think of any of her comic arcs that would be worth doing a solo movie about. Setting her up against the Kree for something original between the two Infinity Wars sounds a decent idea.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
At 3 movies a year 6 films isn't crowded at all. Phase 2 was 3 years. Phase 3 will be 4 years. If Phase 4 is 3-4 years that means you can expect 3-6 more beyond those 6 sequels.

Yea, and there is no sign of these movies slowing down. If Civil War is any indication they've solved the act 3 bloat problem.

El Topo

I missed this thread while I was on my Civil War blackout. It's good to be back.

That "leak" makes me laugh. That being said, I hope some of the Captain Marvel stuff is true. I love Carol but I can't think of any of her comic arcs that would be worth doing a solo movie about. Setting her up against the Kree for something original between the two Infinity Wars sounds a decent idea.

If they turn the Kelly Sue DeConnick run into a movie I'm out.

curb

Banned
If they turn the Kelly Sue DeConnick run into a movie I'm out.

I really love her Captain Marvel run but I'll be the first to admit they'd make pretty weak movies in the MCU. Maybe a heavily modified "Carol goes to space" but it would need a lot of work.

El Topo

I really love her Captain Marvel run but I'll be the first to admit they'd make pretty weak movies in the MCU. Maybe a heavily modified "Carol goes to space" but it would need a lot of work.

I think the biggest problem the character has is that there's no hook. That's what they need, something that tells us immediately what the character stands for, what sets her apart from others, what makes her fun.
Why should we be interested in Captain Marvel and why should we like her?

I've read the three volumes of DeConnick where Carol goes into space and it just doesn't work. There's no dramatic structure, there's no tension, no focus, no fun. It's not poignant, but slow and meandering. It's not that there are not potentially great moments in those books or that there are no interesting ideas, it's that they're not handled properly. It lacks oomph, weight, whatever you want to call it. The best part about those books were when she reflected about her friends and family, her responsibilities, herself, but overall I thought the potential for a fantastic book with interesting character development was squandered. You have a great premise, a journey through space to help others and discover herself and then you make it....that.

I think that's my real issue. It's not that the books are bad, it's that you can faintly see what great potential there is.

curb

Banned
I think the biggest problem the character has is that there's no hook. That's what they need, something that tells us immediately what the character stands for, what sets her apart from others, what makes her fun.

I've read the three volumes of DeConnick where Carol goes into space and it just doesn't work. There's no dramatic structure, there's no tension, no focus, no fun. It's not poignant, but slow and meandering. It's not that there are not potentially great moments in those books or that there are no interesting ideas, it's that they're not handled properly. It lacks oomph, weight, whatever you want to call it. The best part about those books were when she reflected about her friends and family, her responsibilities, herself, but overall I thought the potential for a fantastic book with interesting character development was squandered. You have a great premise, a journey through space to help others and discover herself and then you make it....that.

I think that's my real issue. It's not that the books are bad, it's that you can faintly see what great potential there is.

I think they can do a good movie with the character. I do believe in Marvel Studios but they're better off coming up with an original story.

I'm also of the opinion that she probably doesn't need a solo movie. I would have rather her been introduced some time in Phase 2 instead.

Alright, going through some of these "leaks"

>Michael Keaton was approached to play Osborn, but declined because he didn't want to commit to a multi-picture contract. Other actors are now being approached, including Jason Clarke and Dougray Scott.

Ehhh... Seems weird to go from Keaton to one of these two. Either way, I've only seen Clarke in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Terminator Gynysys and didn't like him in either. Haven't seen Dougray Scott in anything. Keaton would have made a fantastic Osborne.

>Casting is still in early stages, but Marvel has already named Michael Jai White as one of the frontrunners for M'Baku, and had meetings with Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nicole Beharie, Yaya DaCosta and Sharol Leal for the lead female roles, either Lynne or Shuri or both.

MJW for M'Baku would be awesome. He certainly has the on-screen presence and the physicality but I'm not sure how someone called "Man-Ape" would appear to audiences in 2018.
whoa.png
I hope that they go for Mbatha-Raw and DaCosta for Lynne and Shuri respectively.

>Carol Danvers will appear in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR before CAPTAIN MARVEL, and Emily Blunt is lined up to play her. Emily Carmichel in talks to direct.

I don't buy it. I can see Emily Blunt in the role because afaik she doesn't have anything big lined up but I very much doubt that they would give Captain Marvel, of all properties, to Carmichael. I imagine Marvel must be pretty anxious about their first female-led solo movie.

>ANT-MAN & THE WASP will feature the return of Janet Van Dyne and Scott Lang and Hope Van Dyne fighting an old enemy of Hank Pym's past familiar with the Quantum Realm, but his identity hasn't yet been determined.

Seems to be kind of a given that they'd bring back Janet in some way but I can't think of any enemy. Also depends on how deep they go into that Quantum Realm/Microverse stuff. Psycho-Man maybe?

>Blade, Moon Knight and Ghost Rider are being lined-up for Netflix shows.

I actually kinda believe this with how crazy Netflix has been with their original programming and how successful Daredevil and Jessica Jones have been. But this just seems to be reactionary based on that news about Blade, Ghost Rider and Punisher being back at Marvel. Throw in Moon Knight into the mix after Punisher has been greenlit and you have your "leak". Out of these three, however, I think Ghost Rider might be the least likely just because of the CGI budget though.

Peru

The stories aren't great but the character is. I think there's an immediate hook to her. She's an idealist who believes she can save the world with her powers but crashes against the reality that not every good cause can be brute forced to success. Juxtaposing her galactic adventures with her domestic trivialities like dranking and worrying about next door neighbours.

That slightly political and ideological edge to the character sets her ambitious personality very much apart from another sort of arrogance like Iron Man.

Voror

I'll actually be kind of bummed if the rumor about the Vulture turns out to be true for Homecoming. I've just never seen him as that great a villain. Maybe a starter one to have Peter take out, but not one to help carry a movie.

I'd actually be hoping for Mysterio since you could actually do a lot of interesting things with his whole gimmick.

duckroll

The Vulture is only a background villain in Homecoming, like Zemo was in Civil War. Homecoming itself is slated to be a full sequel to Civil War, continuing where it left off, with Tony Stark trying to get into Aunt May's pants and Peter Parker trying desperately to prevent it. Once again, Stark is the true antagonist of the piece. Think Home Alone meets the Avengers.

We really don't need a Sentry movie.

The villains for Black Panther sound good although I wish they had Killmonger too. Maybe they're saving him for a sequel?

The possible Netflix shows sound great.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I like how almost all of us (including me!) are already speculating about post-Thanos life in the MCU, even though that mega-arc won't conclude until May 2019, ha. The MCU is so crazy.

Marvel truly is in an incredible position. They can continue doing three-peat movies for characters like Doctor Strange and Black Panther for ~9 years each, while beginning to set up an arc for Secret Wars or whatever the next mega-arc is going to be.

If anything their problem is too many characters, at this point. Like, I'm not sure another standalone Ant-Man movie is the best call for them. But Marvel Studios kinda has no choice - they have to keep juggling that ball, and releasing a movie every ~3 years is the only way they can effectively keep him in play. I guess if a standalone movie like Ant-Man is a flop or more modest success the character could always become an ensemble player like Black Widow.

curb

Banned
The Vulture is only a background villain in Homecoming, like Zemo was in Civil War. Homecoming itself is slated to be a full sequel to Civil War, continuing where it left off, with Tony Stark trying to get into Aunt May's pants and Peter Parker trying desperately to prevent it. Once again, Stark is the true antagonist of the piece. Think Home Alone meets the Avengers.

I'd watch that.

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

TDLink

Yea, and there is no sign of these movies slowing down. If Civil War is any indication they've solved the act 3 bloat problem.

Eh I'm not sure I'd say that. It was one movie, and one movie isn't indicative of anything concerning any of the others. After Civil War I do feel very confident in the Russos' ability to handle the 2 upcoming Avengers films though.

I'd be strangely ok with this concept.

Voror

That could actually be entertaining.

I'm also kind of mixed about adding in Osborn in so soon if these rumors hold any grain of truth. I think it might work better if he's not a villain at all but just a shady businessman. Build up to the Green Goblin. Then kill him so we can get Hobgoblin.

I'm sort of curious what they'll do after Infinity War. Will they build up to the next major event then? What do you do for that? Secret Invasion could work I suppose or maybe deploy a heavy Strange villain like Shuma-gorath?

For Cosmic stuff, I'd say do Annihilation, but that would require getting back the FF rights. Which would also give us Doom and Galactus.

btown

For Cosmic stuff, I'd say do Annihilation, but that would require getting back the FF rights. Which would also give us Doom and Galactus.

They could do Conquest. Ultron was never confirmed dead, and they could always say that he beamed his consciousness into deep space or something.

I just want to see Ultron return and be a legitimate threat without excessive quipping.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ahaha that Sentry Pic :D what Storyline is that from? Probably an X-Men one?

BBboy20

So, looking up Misty Knight, I wonder if she'll be a cop on Luke Cage and, if so, rather they'll able afford RDJ/being financially generous to appear in order to depict Stark planning and building her arm....oh snap, you know, maybe somehow this might connect to the tech that makes up Bucky's arm...actually, I don't think they've ever explained the tech behind cyborg arms or the fact HYDRA figured out how to build one 60 years ago. Mechanical augmentations seem to be only touched upon in Guardians so far.

tomtom94

I thought it wasn't a peek so much as Coogler and Boseman worked with the Russo Bros. and the screenwriters to hash out T'Challa.

Not sure Coogler was attached to the MCU early enough for that to happen, was he? He was still doing Creed and rejecting Marvel's offer at the time Civil War was coming together I thought.

jmood88

Not sure Coogler was attached to the MCU early enough for that to happen, was he? He was still doing Creed and rejecting Marvel's offer at the time Civil War was coming together I thought.
The Russo's said that he saw an early cut of the movie and gave some notes/lines but I don't think he had the time to make a big impact on Civil War.

El Topo

She's an idealist who believes she can save the world with her powers but crashes against the reality that not every good cause can be brute forced to success. Juxtaposing her galactic adventures with her domestic trivialities like dranking and worrying about next door neighbours.

That slightly political and ideological edge to the character sets her ambitious personality very much apart from another sort of arrogance like Iron Man.

Nothing screams fun more than 'political and ideological edge'. Joke aside I don't think they've really found a core identity that works for the character, in part of the lack of iconic stories that would otherwise help shape the character. It doesn't help that her history is a bit of a mess.

I don't disagree that there is a great character beneath all the rubble, I just feel that they've done a poor job at bringing that forth. A headstrong, stubborn hero that cares deeply about her friends, cocky and at times overconfident, one that is always on a journey of self-discovery and trying to reach her full potential. That inner conflict is something I think has fundamental appeal and I wish they managed to translate that into the comics. There's a nice scene where she looks into the vortex, refuses to change and states "It was never more power I was after". That's a potentially great scene, but in the book it is a brief moment, then it's back to the battle without any reflection.

curb

Banned
Nothing screams fun more than 'political and ideological edge'. Joke aside I don't think they've really found a core identity that works for the character, in part of the lack of iconic stories that would otherwise help shape the character. It doesn't help that her history is a bit of a mess.

I don't disagree that there is a great character beneath all the rubble, I just feel that they've done a poor job at bringing that forth. A headstrong, stubborn hero that cares deeply about her friends, cocky and at times overconfident, one that is always on a journey of self-discovery and trying to reach her full potential. That inner conflict is something I think has fundamental appeal and I wish they managed to translate that into the comics. There's a nice scene where she looks into the vortex, refuses to change and states "It was never more power I was after". That's a potentially great scene, but in the book it is a brief moment, then it's back to the battle without any reflection.

I recall Feige saying something about how they were working on fleshing out who her character was going to be in the MCU and that makes sense because she's kinda been all over the map through her history. I think they can pull it together to make something good though. I have a lot of confidence in their ability to handle their characters - especially after the new additions in Civil War.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
A headstrong, stubborn hero that cares deeply about her friends, cocky and at times overconfident, one that is always on a journey of self-discovery and trying to reach her full potential.

You just described most of the characters in any given fighting game.

mreddie

Did you guys already share the "If IM1 flopped, there would be no MCU and Marvel Studios would have sold all film rights?" video from Faverau?

Rooster12

I've read the three volumes of DeConnick where Carol goes into space and it just doesn't work. There's no dramatic structure, there's no tension, no focus, no fun. It's not poignant, but slow and meandering.

Her run of Carol Danvers is easily the best Carol stuff....and it still wasn't very good. Mainly the stories were everywhere, no focus.

Haven't seen Dougray Scott in anything.
He's mostly known for playing villains. He's the main bad guy in Mission Impossible 2, for example. He'd probably do a pretty good, slightly ham and cheesy Osborne to be honest, probably better than Jason Clarke.

Out of these three, however, I think Ghost Rider might be the least likely just because of the CGI budget though.
The second Ghost Rider was done for relatively cheap and the CG Rider there was better looking that the much higher budget first movie.

He's mostly known for playing villains. He's the main bad guy in Mission Impossible 2, for example. He'd probably do a pretty good, slightly ham and cheesy Osborne to be honest, probably better than Jason Clarke.

Interesting note, originally he was to be Wolverine in X-Men. Mission Impossible 2 filming interfered and Hugh Jackman replaced him.

On Osborne, Chris Cooper in ASM2 was solid casting totally wasted. Bet nobody remembers him, so I'd be all for bringing him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom