• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true at all. Their contracts cover movies. It's allegedly just Perlmutter preventing it.

I'd imagine the huge demand for a Widow movie as well as his generally poor PR image with the Terrence Howard remarks, the letter trial, etc., must have damaged his internal stock at the company by a bit. I could see someone higher than him stepping in to ensure some more synergy between the two divisions.

I'd imagine the huge demand for a Widow movie as well as his generally poor PR image with the Terrence Howard remarks, the letter trial, etc., must have damaged his internal stock at the company by a bit. I could see someone higher than him stepping in to ensure some more synergy between the two divisions.

Maybe Feige pulling for full reign on both the Big and Little screen divisions? Trying to push out Perlmutter completely?

I would love for Marvel to get it together and do what DC seems reluctant to do and actually have Movie and TV actually be connected.
It would be amazing to be able to follow the characters from the movies to appearances on down TV and over to Netflix and back up and down the chain repeatedly wherever they are needed and/or make sense.

Maybe Feige pulling for full reign on both the Big and Little screen divisions? Trying to push out Perlmutter completely?

I would love for Marvel to get it together and do what DC seems reluctant to do and actually have Movie and TV actually be connected.
It would be amazing to be able to follow the characters from the movies to appearances on down TV and over to Netflix and back up and down the chain repeatedly wherever they are needed and/or make sense.

If god exists

make this happen PLEASE

Theay are about to make a billion on Civil War. Whose philosophy makes more goddamn sense at this point

jmood88

I don't think Feige is too worried about controlling the shows. He has always been a movie guy and he now gets to pretty much do what he wants, so I'm sure he's fine with how things are right now.

Aren't DC movies and TV separate?

curb

Banned
I don't think Feige is too worried about controlling the shows. He has always been a movie guy and he now gets to pretty much do what he wants, so I'm sure he's fine with how things are right now.

He probably doesn't want that but it would be nice to have TV under one mini-Feige who reports directly to him.

jmood88

You’re doing Black Panther next, which has to both stand alone and fit into all of the moving parts of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How do you make sure that it still feels like a Ryan Coogler movie?

It’s a specific challenge. What Marvel’s doing, and what you see a lot of studios doing now that Marvel has done it so successfully, is making content that exists in a particular universe, where the characters tie in and crossover, and I think that’s a great creative challenge to me—to make this movie as personal as possible. It’s going to be my most personal movie to date, which is crazy to say, but it’s completely the case. I’m obsessed with this character and this story right now, and I think it’s going to be very unique and still fit into the overall narrative that they’re establishing. I grew up as a comic book fan, and the same things used to happen in the comic books. You’d have Wolverine’s books, and they’d be so much darker and more brutal than the X-Men books, but they’d still fit in when you open the pages of the X-Men book. It’s new to movies, but it’s not new to storytelling.

The rest of this has nothing to do with Black Panther but it's still interesting

Neoxon

So Valkyrie is confirmed. Nice. And Grandmaster too. Hela as well. And Skurge.
Lady Sif, too.

dcy6s6l.jpg

What an amazing cast. Gonna be interesting to see Jeff Goldblum's take on the Grandmaster.

But I'm more than happy seeing Brunnhilde making her big screen debut! :D

And I'm just as happy for Jaime Alexander to reassure Lady Sif's return. Although I doubt she was just going to be suddenly left out of the film. But still happy!

I dunno, but I thought some of the Phase 2 casts were out of this world (Robert Friggin Redford was a Hydra boss you guys) - now we've got all these Phase 3 actors and I just can't believe how good it's going to be.

curb

Banned
I noticed in the 'Kingpin in Homecoming' thread that someone posted an image from Vincent D’Onofrio's Twitter saying that the rumor was news to him. Not really a surprise.

I'm sure he's happy to not have to answer to anyone regarding the movies, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that he still believes in #itsallconnected, but just needs someone helming the TV division that either answers to him, or tha the is willing to work with. That's not gonna happen if Perlmutter is still running TV.

Aren't DC movies and TV separate?

yes they are, and that's what I said. DC movies and TV have absolutely no connection at the moment (or probably ever) and even went as far as recasting for movies when TV characters already exist. But at the same time Marvel movie's and TV barely share a connection, and there have been no meaningful crossovers that creates affect both sides, so from a movie perspective, they aren't really connected at all.

I said Marvel should do what DC has been reluctant to do. Where DC TV has been crossover king for the moment, and DC movies are crossing over now, but TV and Movies will have no connection, Marvel needs to embrace the crossovers not just between the movies and a separate one between the TV shows, but criss cross the the crossovers between movies and tv shows till we got a tangled web of connectiveness that draws all of the audience across all forms of media to follow the greater MCU story.

Penguin

yes they are, and that's what I said. DC movies and TV have absolutely no connection at the moment (or probably ever) and even went as far as recasting for movies when TV characters already exist. But at the same time Marvel movie's and TV barely share a connection, and there have been no meaningful crossovers that creates affect both sides, so from a movie perspective, they aren't really connected at all.

I said Marvel should do what DC has been reluctant to do. Where DC TV has been crossover king for the moment, and DC movies are crossing over now, but TV and Movies will have no connection, Marvel needs to embrace the crossovers not just between the movies and a separate one between the TV shows, but criss cross the the crossovers between movies and tv shows till we got a tangled web of connectiveness that draws all of the audience across all forms of media to follow the greater MCU story.
I feel the complete opposite

The more intricate the connections become, I feel you'd lose people who can't follow... close to 50 hours of TV plus 2-3 movies a year.

It's just not feasible or worth it to the mass majority of people.

And from a business standpoint. Let's say... Marvel's next network show gets AoS launch numbers... 10 million people a week while not a bad number is still only a small portion of folks who see their movies and to cater to them would still seem short-sighted.

TDLink

I feel the complete opposite

The more intricate the connections become, I feel you'd lose people who can't follow... close to 50 hours of TV plus 2-3 movies a year.

It's just not feasible or worth it to the mass majority of people.

And from a business standpoint. Let's say... Marvel's next network show gets AoS launch numbers... 10 million people a week while not a bad number is still only a small portion of folks who see their movies and to cater to them would still seem short-sighted.

I agree, the movies are just straight bigger than the TV shows. You can't expect people to know what's going on in all the TV shows in the films. But I think the opposite can (and is) basically expected. Of course Marvel fans, the people watching the shows, will almost certainly have seen the movies. In this sense I think it's easier for movie characters to be on the shows than vice versa (although this has barely even happened). But I still think TV characters could appear in the films and it could make sense. It doesn't matter if not everyone knows their backstory, it is easy to establish something like Daredevil is another vigilante in New York or Kingpin is the heart of corruption in the city. You don't need to address multiple seasons of television to put a character in a movie and have it make sense.

guek

Banned
The TV shows could still have better cameos that don't affect the movies though. And there's nothing to prevent TV characters from showing up in the films if it's done right. Civil War would have been a great way to start introducing inhumans to the movie audiences but they blew it.

Pachimari

The TV shows could still have better cameos that don't affect the movies though. And there's nothing to prevent TV characters from showing up in the films if it's done right. Civil War would have been a great way to start introducing Daredevil to the movie audiences but they blew it.
Ftfy.

TDLink

I definitely think Civil War was already overstuffed. But in a movie like Spider-Man which takes place right there in New York, probably dealing with a street/city level threat as he typically does, it's going to be a bit weird if stuff like Daredevil, Punisher, Kingpin, Luke Cage, etc. are completely ignored.

Neoxon

Thinking back to what happened at the end of SHIELD Season 3, I noticed that the New York Bulletin wrote about Quake. Does this mean that Daisy's now in New York City (kinda lending towards my speculation of her possibly being in Defenders)?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thinking back to what happened at the end of SHIELD Season 3, I noticed that the New York Bulletin wrote about Quake. Does this mean that Daisy's now in New York City (kinda lending towards my speculation of her possibly being in Defenders)?

The map showed that she traveled all over the country. Besides, the Bulletin may report on national news, not just local and regional news.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my hands on the Art of Civil War:

So. Fucking. Good.

Currently on lunch break, but I'm DYING to read it all right now. The artwork is gorgeous.
Nice, got mine yesterday as well. Wish they had some Spider-Man costume breakdowns, but I'm guessing they're saving those for his own movies art book.

If there are alternate Zemo Costumes, could you post them?
There's only one pic of Zemo and it's the one that was released a few weeks ago. It's also at the end of the book with no accompanying text to explain why they didn't use it or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom