• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Not sure if people saw, but buried in the Hollywood Reporter article about Larson being linked to Captain Marvel:

Marvel has been on the hunt for a female filmmaker to helm this most female-centric of their properties, with names like Niki Caro (Whale Rider, McFarland, USA) and Jennifer Kent (The Babadook) surfacing as contenders, according to sources.

Not familiar with Caro's work but was a big fan of Babadook.

BLACKLAC

All we need are the FF and we're on for Secret Wars in Phase 4.

Honest question, do you think Fox is dumb enough to sell FF back to Marvel?

As popular as the x-men were they would add nothing creatively to the MCU. I hate how they butcher Storm but its been 16 years now, I'm pretty much over it.

But FF.... Marvel gets that back and it's checkmate on the genre. Someone has to be whispering into Foxes ear to not give that up because they have lost at least 100 million on that IP. Makes no sense to keep it.

BLACKLAC

Namor rights were similar to Hulk rights, right? So Marvel should be getting those back soon too?

How long do distribution rights typically last for?

Edwins

Need to listen to podcast, but from reading the quotes... wouldn't take it as fact. He just seems to know not tied up with Sony or Fox, but thought it was someone else who had Namor

Universal had them, but it seemed to be distribution on Namor solo films only (similar to Hulk).

To be honest, it probably doesn't matter one way or the other so long as it's like Hulk and Marvel can use all related characters in their other stuff anyway. They're probably not making Namor the movie. The franchise would most likely be part of the Avengers, Black Panther, Cap, or (if it comes home) Fantastic Four franchises.

If FF were to come back I'm pulling for some giant monsters or Skrulls in the first film, but if the Phase 4 lineup included Fantastic Four: Atlantis Rising? I damn sure wouldn't be sad.

As popular as the x-men were they would add nothing creatively to the MCU. I hate how they butcher Storm but its been 16 years now, I'm pretty much over it.

But FF.... Marvel gets that back and it's checkmate on the genre. Someone has to be whispering into Foxes ear to not give that up because they have lost at least 100 million on that IP. Makes no sense to keep it.

I'm cool with there being a separate X-Men Cinematic Universe. Deadpool proved they can do interesting things there.

FF will come back because the investors will demand the money stop hemorrhaging.

Great to see the rights of Namor reverting back to Marvel Studios. Although considering that there was practically no Namor film as far as I can tell, I feel this was inevitably regardless.

They've lost so much money on it and basically poisoned their own well. They basically have to wait until about the time the rights are going to revert before they can reboot it a second time (as much as they try to pretend, there's no way they continue with the current iteration). I doubt they'd wholesale sell it back but I can see them taking a Spider-Man type deal. I would KILL to see the MCU take on Doom,

Edwins

FF will come back because the investors will demand the money stop hemorrhaging.

That last film was a massive flop on home release, too (bad movies actually do well with home sales and rentals sometimes, but not this one). First month sales were something like a tenth of the other big December superhero release, Ant-Man. They may not ever hit profitability on that one.

Simon Kinberg thinking a sequel is still a good idea is almost adorable, though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I honestly don't even want to see X-Men / Mutants in the MCU. It doesn't really fit with the world Marvel has built, and would be very tricky to explain what they've been doing all this time.

Fantastic Four could work, on the other hand. Could build a whole phase of films around them.

They've lost so much money on it and basically poisoned their own well. They basically have to wait until about the time the rights are going to revert before they can reboot it a second time (as much as they try to pretend, there's no way they continue with the current iteration). I doubt they'd wholesale sell it back but I can see them taking a Spider-Man type deal. I would KILL to see the MCU take on Doom,

I don't want to know when a deal gets done. I just want doom to show up in an after credits scene.

TDLink

I honestly don't even want to see X-Men / Mutants in the MCU. It doesn't really fit with the world Marvel has built, and would be very tricky to explain what they've been doing all this time.

Fantastic Four could work, on the other hand. Could build a whole phase of films around them.

I completely agree. Even in the comics it feels like a separate universe most of the time (not counting any Cosmic going-ons that involve X-Men property characters). It never makes sense why the average person in the Marvel Universe has a huge problem with mutants but are completely okay with other super-powered people. X-Men is fine being it's own thing and I never particularly want the property in the MCU.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Penguin

I wonder if we could ever see something like what happened with Spider Man. Fox "keeps" the FF, but Marvel reboots it creatively as part of the MCU.

That is probably more likely

Though I mean Fox still has other options... could do a crossover movie with the X-Men. Not sure how TV rights work, but could possibly do a show with them.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The "Brazil Unit" filming crew in the Civil War credits left me puzzled again on my second viewing of the movie this week, as I still had no idea of what part of the movie was filmed here.

Today I finally looked up what it was about, and it turns out that they filmed the exterior of the post-credits Wakanda scene in southern Brazil, at Iguaçu Falls. I love that, haha.

https://www.facebook.com/hqcafenoface/posts/631023280382936:0

TDLink

On the subject of Fantastic Four... again, I think Drew makes some solid points that I've said before in his new article. The long and short of it, there's really no reason for Fox to give up the rights

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-that-new-fantastic-four-rumor-is-complete-nonsense

This article is from last October. A lot has changed since then. We'll see...

Aren't both Guardians Vol. 2 & Thor Rangarök filming in Atlanta?

Ragnarok is filming in Gold Coast Australia to accommodate Hemsworth, who has moved back there.

Maybe mjolnir and/or Thor show up in GOTG2?

Beta Ray Bill is my best bet. James Gunn has said over and over that no Avengers will be in the film.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I wonder what James Gunn is hinting at:

13336114_10153387641026157_3210916822976267566_n.jpg

EDIT: oops.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Beta Ray Bill is my best bet. James Gunn has said over and over that no Avengers will be in the film.

Bill's Hammer looks completely different though, at least in the comics. That's definitively Thor's Mjolnir, MCU version.

Technically`, CW Spoilers
is there even an "Avengers" at the moment?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Bill's Hammer looks completely different though, at least in the comics. That's definitively Thor's Mjolnir, MCU version.

It's Iron Man and Vision against the universe

TDLink

Gunn likes to say a lot of things though.

Gunn has never lied...

To be fair, James Gunn isn't really one to spout bullshit. He may dance around a question, but he typically won't flat-out lie.

Yeah exactly.

He has never said it in a deceiving way like that. He was always talking about the characters. Ie, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. Those two and others he has been directly asked about and he always has reiterated that no there will not be Avengers in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom