• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also from that;

GotG Vol 2 is very distinctly its own story, around the Guardians and the cosmic characters, that isn't about the lead in to another film

I mean I don't believe we're not at least getting a post-credits linking to Infinity War, but this is reassuring.

TDLink

Like when he said the Guardians dont go to earth any time soon just to get set pics from earth?

We still don't know what exactly we were seeing with those set picks. Could be something that looks like Earth but isn't. Could be a flashback. Could be anything really. I highly doubt we'll be getting an extended amount of time on Earth.

shingi70

Banned
We still don't know what exactly we were seeing with those set picks. Could be something that looks like Earth but isn't. Could be a flashback. Could be anything really. I highly doubt we'll be getting an extended amount of time on Earth.

It can't be a flashback considering one of the Simon Wilson movie posters is for a Tony Stark movie.

TDLink

It can't be a flashback considering one of the Simon Wilson movie posters is for a Tony Stark movie.

I don't remember seeing this and on a quick google search I can't find it. There is a modern looking cop car though. I still think it could be a vision of some sort. Maybe Peter is shown something happening on Earth right now. Or maybe it's something that will happen in the future.

I wouldn't automatically conclude all the Guardians are going to wind up on Earth.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cg9gI5JWkAESqPk.jpg:orig

The Tony Stark biopic poster.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1211521

OM81yHA.jpg

so good. :lol

Dalek

I don't remember seeing this and on a quick google search I can't find it. There is a modern looking cop car though. I still think it could be a vision of some sort. Maybe Peter is shown something happening on Earth right now. Or maybe it's something that will happen in the future.

I wouldn't automatically conclude all the Guardians are going to wind up on Earth.

There's a Simon Williams film festival with all the posters that are up and one of the movies is a biopic of Tony Stark.

TDLink

Cg9gI5JWkAESqPk.jpg:orig

The Tony Stark biopic poster.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1211521

OM81yHA.jpg

so good. :lol

There's a Simon Williams film festival with all the posters that are up and one of the movies is a biopic of Tony Stark.

Alright. I still do not believe that it is indicative of the Guardians going to Earth. It could be anything. There were already various types of visions in the first Guardians. It could be something happening in Peter's home town (real or fake) that he's powerless to stop. It could be a vision of the future. We haven't seen set reports from any other "Earth" locations except this one strip of this town, right? It just doesn't feel like all of the Guardians will actually wind up on Earth. In the event they do, I can't see it being for a significant portion of the movie.

Fuu

I don't think we'll get a lot of Earth either. Although even if it's short and with no Guardians the set piece seems significant enough, there are fancams of cars being shoved around and shit.

Anyway, I don't think we should put much weight on what Gunn says one way or another. Directors misdirect all the time before movies come out, and with the MCU there are times they see themselves having to make last minute changes that they weren't planning at first. It's all part of the game.

It's even worse that people extrapolate like crazy too. Like the whole "Gunn hates Nova" when he just said "I won't be using the character in the sequel but he might appear later".

TDLink

I don't think we'll get a lot of Earth either. Although even if it's short and with no Guardians the set piece seems significant enough, there are fancams of cars being shoved around and shit.

Anyway, I don't think we should put much weight on what Gunn says one way or another. Directors misdirect all the time before movies come out, and with the MCU there are times they see themselves having to make last minute changes that they weren't planning at first. It's all part of the game.

It's even worse that people extrapolate like crazy too. Like the whole "Gunn hates Nova" when he just said "I won't be using the character in the sequel but he might appear later".

Sure you can't take anything a Director says 100%. Misconstruing comments like the Nova thing is ridiculous Internet hyperbole as well. I honestly do believe that Gunn is, well, honest most of the time though. He typically dodges questions rather than lying about something. I am not sure when the Guardians aren't going to Earth any time soon comments were made. I am sure that at the time he said that those comments were true. They could still be true, again, we don't know what we're seeing here. But it's probable the story shifted a few times while he was writing and maybe even a bit after they started shooting. It's tough to know.

Fuu

Sure you can't take anything a Director says 100%. Misconstruing comments like the Nova thing is ridiculous Internet hyperbole as well. I honestly do believe that Gunn is, well, honest most of the time though. He typically dodges questions rather than lying about something. I am not sure when the Guardians aren't going to Earth any time soon comments were made. I am sure that at the time he said that those comments were true. They could still be true, again, we don't know what we're seeing here. But it's probable the story shifted a few times while he was writing and maybe even a bit after they started shooting. It's tough to know.
Agreed, I don't think he's outright lying about anything and yeah, the problem is when people start taking intentionally vague comments as gospel.

If I recall correctly, the "no Earth" thing came from these quotes in different interviews:

“The last thing I said was something about how the Guardians, we really are mostly focused on creating the Guardians as their own separate universe, creating the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe. It isn’t all about leading towards Avengers. We’re not subservient to ‘The Avengers.’ Whether or not at some point, some Guardians and some Avengers meet up and meet somewhere in the world, whether it’s two years from now, three years from now, four years from now, fifteen years from now…I’m not going to say. But ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ does not exist as a prequel to ‘Avengers 3’ and ‘4.’ They have their own thing that they’re involved in. They have their own mythos that they’re involved in. They have their own stories that are equally important.”​

"We really are separate from the Avengers, and I don't think people should assume too many things about the Guardians play in all this, because we have our own galaxy to take care of. We have our own galaxy to save. Earth is the Avengers’ province. Thinking that everything is going to come together in a perfect way is not necessarily the way it's going to happen."​

He was being vague as hell, but articles at the time went all out with the hyperbole about him drawing a line in the sand and everyone lapped it up. He then made this post on Facebook:

“Perhaps sometimes I say things imperfectly, unclearly, or inelegantly. All I’ve ever tried to say was the Guardians are an important part of the MCU, and they definitely share an existence with the Avengers and other characters in the MCU. But the week after the movie opened I walked into the Marvel offices, and I sat down with Kevin Feige and some of the other folks at Marvel. We had a long discussion about where the Guardians were headed and what was happening to them. I told them exactly what I wanted to do with the sequel to Guardians, and everyone was on board and excited. And, regarding the bigger picture, we all agreed on one thing, and that was to keep huge chunks of the Guardians separate from the Marvel heroes of earth, because they have a whole galaxy to explore. We wanted to use them as a way to make the MCU bigger, not smaller. We wanted to make sure they have their own mythos, as opposed to only one that is intertwined with the earthbound characters. They ARE connected, of course, but that connection would not be the purpose of their stories and fictional lives.

When I’m asked about the Guardians and their future, and whether they’ll meet up with the Avengers I really don’t have all that much to say, because some of it isn’t decided yet, and I don’t want to give away what is decided. So I speak in these general terms. They aren’t things that I’m just saying on the spot, and they aren’t things that have been decided on by me alone. But they are sometimes incredibly general, and that can lead to those words being taken in a lot of different ways.

So, I’m sorry for all the different ways my words have been taken. Overall, we’ll just have to wait and see where the Guardians go, who they meet, and what they do in the MCU. But know that I love them and will take the best care of them I possibly can for as long as I’m around.”​

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nah it's not Richie. Want to know how I know?

'Cos we're connected.
#dead
We all know he'll become Nova.

Brie Larson is 28 guys, she's not that young. Most folks in the military enlist right out of high school, so she'd have been in the airforce for 10 years if the movie character was aged the same as the actress.

Hell by the time the movie comes out she'll be 30.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that statement.

Contract parity would have her with at least one shirtless scene, right? The world needs girl!abs from their superheroes.
Now that you mention it, we have barely got any.
Widow changing in the car in IM2, and Pepper at the end of IM3 are the only ones I can recall.

Uh no, it can very well be a flashback. Remember that Tony is like 45 in the MCU and he was a widely known celebrity way before he became Iron Man, of which the poster mentions nothing about.

Looking pretty badass there.

TDLink

Hopefully it's an indication that they will build on that established theme. Also maybe it means he'll bring the awesome original Cap theme back. It still drives me crazy that after all these movies there are no memorable character themes aside from those two and the IM 3 one sort of. But they aren't reused anyways.

This franchise needs to have memorable music.

CLEEK

Hopefully it's an indication that they will build on that established theme. Also maybe it means he'll bring the awesome original Cap theme back. It still drives me crazy that after all these movies there are no memorable character themes aside from those two and the IM 3 one sort of. But they aren't reused anyways.

I'd say only GOTG has a memorable theme. When it kicks in for the "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy" bit, it was one of the rare times in the MCU that the theme helped elevate the scene in question.

The Avenger theme grew on me after watching the films so many time, but it's still pretty forgettable compared to iconic film themes over the years. I doubt many people would recognise it, let alone have it seared into their brains like the Star Wars or Superman themes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'd say only GOTG has a memorable theme. When it kicks in for the "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy" bit, it was one of the rare times in the MCU that the theme helped elevate the scene in question.

The Avenger theme grew on me after watching the films so many time, but it's still pretty forgettable compared to iconic film themes over the years. I doubt many people would recognise it, let alone have it seared into their brains like the Star Wars or Superman themes.

nah, I could hum the Avengers theme right now. It's great. Sometimes it pops into my head and I have to listen to it on YouTube.

Fuu

When it kicks in for the "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy" bit, it was one of the rare times in the MCU that the theme helped elevate the scene in question.
Yep! It's also used to great effect in the first team-up scene at the Kyln's watchtower.

nJ2KWiUg.jpg

The GotG main theme is the one from the MCU I catch myself humming the most from time to time, and I was already doing it the moment I left the theater. Love it. I'll be giddy if Tyler Bates reuses it at some point in the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ4WLvj5ODE

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Silvestri gave 0 fucks to the established themes in Avengers, so I expect that to be the same in IW (except maybe for The Avengers theme, for obvious reasons).

Also, the awesome IM3 theme was briefly heard in AoU when Tony dons the Hulkbuster. It's completely absent in CW though, but in that one Jackman did reuse the themes form TWS at least. And let's not forget that Tyler Bates did excellent work in GotG, which will likely be reused since he's coming back for Vol 2.

The franchise has plenty of memorable music, just that probably it's not smartly a lot of the time so it doesn't come off as that.

TDLink

Silvestri gave 0 fucks to the established themes in Avengers, so I expect that to be the same in IW (except maybe for The Avengers theme, for obvious reasons).

Also, the awesome IM3 theme was briefly heard in AoU when Tony dons the Hulkbuster. It's completely absent in CW though, but in that one Jackman did reuse the themes form TWS at least. And let's not forget that Tyler Bates did excellent work in GotG, which will likely be reused since he's coming back for Vol 2.

The franchise has plenty of memorable music, just that probably it's not smartly a lot of the time so it doesn't come off as that.

You're not wrong about these themes but the problem is they aren't consistently reused so they don't really stick. I honestly didn't remember the GOTG theme at all but I just clicked that youtube link above and re-listened and went "oh, right". They should use the established themes, or make new ones and then use those. But they should be consistent about it. Cap should have the same theme in every appearance, that's how music gets iconic.

Obviously none of it is on the level of John Williams but we can at least try. I have high hopes for the Doctor Strange soundtrack since I love Michael Giacchino, but even if his theme is rad if they don't reuse it consistently, what's the point?

Iron Man has had a different theme in basically every movie he appears in outside of the small reuse of the IM3 theme in AoU.

Fuu

Could be a rando, but
Shuma-Gorath
is the best guess. He's been depicted as purple too so red wouldn't be far off from that.

Spoiler tagging pictures doesn't work on mobile btw.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Could be a rando, but
Shuma-Gorath
is the best guess. He's been depicted as purple too so red wouldn't be far off from that.

Spoiler tagging pictures doesn't work on mobile btw.
Was spoiler tagged for me on mobile. Had to click to see it.

curb

Banned
Silvestri doing Avengers again is fine by me. I liked the Ultron score but it would be nice to come back to some familiar themes again.

Also, I'm not putting too much stock in that Lego set since for every
Giant Man
there's a "Mandarin Ultimate Showdown".

Edit: just noting that the Lego image was visible for me on mobile.

Fuu

Was spoiler tagged for me on mobile. Had to click to see it.
Edit: just noting that the Lego image was visible for me on mobile.
I think it might work on certain browsers. It also works if you have "Show Photos" set to off on the mobile gaf settings.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207702

I don't think that Lego set picture is a big deal (and this thread is to discuss pre-release spoilers anyway), but since the tag is broken for most people I think it's better for sensitive images to be posted as links instead.

TDLink

As a reminder, we don't need to spoiler tag anything in this thread. Especially rumours and speculation.

On that note, Lego sets have been both right and wrong in the past.

Seeing Shuma on the big screen would be crazy.

Fuu

This movie has a lot of eldritch potential that I hope to see realized in at least one crazy sequence.

OT, but I love Scott Derrickson's twitter dp:

Vl0RmhlU.png

BLACKLAC

Josh Brolin Has Heard Entire Avengers: Infinity War Story And Was "Blown Away"

http://mcuexchange.com/josh-brolin-has-heard-entire-avengers-infinity-war-story-and-was-blown-away/
Yeah, I sat at a table and I listened to the story from beginning to end, which was … you know, sometimes you go around and you go, “Oh, it’s a great movie. Or this is a great experience,” and you kind of know that it’s not. This is the opposite.

First of all, from a publicity point of view, or an interest, I’ve gotten more publicity playing Thanos, even though I haven’t done it yet, than all other movies combined. If there’s any blurb of publicity at all for me, it includes Thanos in some way or another. “By the way, he’s got Hail, Caesar! coming out. But don’t forget about Thanos — that’s coming out,” which is amazing, which is really cool.

Then the other side of it is really how much it means to people. It all comes down … these stories … these Avengers stories all come down to this conclusion, and that’s our involvement. Basically, my character against everybody. And it’s really fun what they’ve chosen to do with the story. I think it’s brilliant, personally. I was blown away, and had goose pimples pretty much 50% of the time that I was listening to what was going on, and pretty amazed that I’m going to be involved in it. So it’s a big thing that’s coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom