• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Doctor Strange images:

13739635_1807695649464195_824879588_n.jpg

13715060_974344819342547_613904742_n.jpg

Someone from the comics explain picture #2.

I'm assuming it's parallel dimension shit.

Neoxon

Nothing is confirmed, The Eye might not even be an Infinity Stone. Neoxon is just jumping to conclusions for a change.
Didn't the description of the Eye imply that it held the Time Stone?
Strange is also helped by an amulet known as The Eye of Agamotto. “The Cloak of Levitation [and] the Eye of Agamotto are his two signature pieces,” says Feige. “In this film, the Eye is a very important relic that can be quite dangerous if used in the wrong hands, because it has the ability to do any number of things, the most dangerous of which is, it can sort of manipulate probabilities. Which is also another way of saying, ‘screw around with time’ — which is part of our story.”

BLACKLAC

Sounds good, but a lot can change in 3 months in the editing booth. While I have little reason to doubt Marvel, I'm just saying that we shouldn't get too hyper by that tweet.

If early screenings are giving off that impression Marvel are not going change a thing.

Hype engaged.

TDLink

That isn't a confirmation that it's an Infinity stone. Just that it can manipulate, among other things, time. You do this kind of thing all the time with pretty much everything--take inconclusive statements and act like they are pure, written in stone, facts.

I think it's pretty obviously a stone
13892346_1438163856200182_2732734995190959851_n.jpg

I think it's an IF stone too, but more based on the logic of the timeline until Infinity War.

I agree, it probably is a stone...but only because they seem to be setting up for Infinity War and thus they have to put the stones in these films.

In the comics the Eye of Agamotto is not an Infinity Gem. It might be in the MCU, but I wouldn't say that it's a foregone conclusion or absolute certainty at this point. It's a very powerful artifact and it would be able to do all of this reality and time bending stuff without being an Infinity Stone.

I agree, it probably is a stone...but only because they seem to be setting up for Infinity War and thus they have to put the stones in these films.

In the comics the Eye of Agamotto is not an Infinity Gem. It might be in the MCU, but I wouldn't say that it's a foregone conclusion or absolute certainty at this point. It's a very powerful artifact and it would be able to do all of this reality and time bending stuff without being an Infinity Stone.

Since they changed Vision's Solar Jewel to an IS, why not the Eye as well?

EDIT: An afterthought - we might not find out (or Strange might not find out) it's a stone in the movie. I just think it is.

curb

Banned

Yeah, to me the only reason why it could be at this point is because that seems to be how the MCU just does it's stone introductions. I don't think anything about it having magical properties guarantees that it's an Infinity Stone. The MCU pattern is what makes it seem possible to me.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

The Cosmic Cube wasn't an Infinity Gem in the comics either.

TDLink

Since they changed Vision's Solar Jewel to an IS, why not the Eye as well?

Yeah they did the Cosmic Cube as well. I agree it's possible, and perhaps even probable, considering we know they're trying to lead to this. But I can see it not being the case as well.

Strange is meant to be in the real introduction of pure magic in the MCU. Not a science experiment or alien artifacts, but straight up Magic. Feige could have been lying about that, but if he's not then Strange will need the Eye of Agamotto and its magical powers during and after Infinity War. If it's an Infinity Stone then it's hard to make that work. Does he get it back after Thanos? In the comics he actually uses it to transport everyone -to- combat Thanos, which is a fairly significant part of the event.

Anyways, I'm not saying it isn't a stone. But it certainly hasn't been confirmed as a stone at this point. And while it being a stone would explain its powers, it makes just as much sense not being one.

Yeah they did the Cosmic Cube as well. I agree it's possible, and perhaps even probable, considering we know they're trying to lead to this. But I can see it not being the case as well.

Strange is meant to be in the real introduction of pure magic in the MCU. Not a science experiment or alien artifacts, but straight up Magic. Feige could have been lying about that, but if he's not then Strange will need the Eye of Agamotto and its magical powers during and after Infinity War. If it's an Infinity Stone then it's hard to make that work. Does he get it back after Thanos? In the comics he actually uses it to transport everyone -to- combat Thanos, which is a fairly significant part of the event.

Anyways, I'm not saying it isn't a stone. But it certainly hasn't been confirmed as a stone at this point. And while it being a stone would explain its powers, it makes just as much sense not being one.

This is a good post, one thing though - I swear, and I can't remember where I saw it, that Feige said magic in the MCU would be sciency-driven.

Wait, here's what I was thinking of:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/03/13/kevin-feige-explains-how-magic-will-work-in-doctor-strange

The Kree

Banned
I want them to explain how four stones pop up in the middle of earth-based conflicts all around the same time. The universe is too vast for that to be a coincidence. They should be more scattered.

I want them to explain how four stones pop up in the middle of earth-based conflicts all around the same time. The universe is too vast for that to be a coincidence. They should be more scattered.

I thought part of the point was that these things are so rare and scattered, that the very fact so many of them are popping up was a huge problem and dangerous.

Quick

Banned
I thought part of the point was that these things are so rare and scattered, that the very fact so many of them are popping up was a huge problem and dangerous.

This was my takeaway from it.

"The mind stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us." - Thor in Age of Ultron.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Yes. I want the explanation as to why it's happening mostly on Earth.

Well the mind stone originally belonged to Thanos, who gave it to Loki (do we know if he or Thanos knew there was an Infinity Stone in the staff?), who then left it on Earth.
The power stone was on Morag, now with the Nova Corp.
The space stone was originally with Asgard until it was placed on Earth.
I can't recal where the hell the reality stone (Aether) was stored technically. Jane just sorts of finds it on Earth, IIRC, but it spans across into Asgard too? (Okay I don't remember much about Thor 2)

Other two are still up for debate. I wouldn't say it's too focused on Earth.

This was my takeaway from it.

"The mind stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us." - Thor in Age of Ultron.

Ah, there was a line of dialog about it. I couldn't remember.

Well the mind stone originally belonged to Thanos, who gave it to Loki (do we know if he or Thanos knew there was an Infinity Stone in the staff?), who then left it on Earth.
The power stone was on Morag, now with the Nova Corp.
The space stone was originally with Asgard until it was placed on Earth.
I can't recal where the hell the reality stone (Aether) was stored technically. Jane just sorts of finds it on Earth, IIRC, but it spans across into Asgard too? (Okay I don't remember much about Thor 2)

Other two are still up for debate. I wouldn't say it's too focused on Earth.

Aether stone was in a pocket dimension iirc. I forget the details of how that dimension opened up but once it was, Jane and the crazy scientist from Avengers where able to sort of tune into it with their devices which resulted in the disappear reappear shenanigans in the final act.

I dunno, I dont see them strip Strange of his most powerful artifact for at least one movie

I wouldn't be surprised if the Eye acts more as an enhancer than anything i.e Strange has some latent magical ability but the Eye helps amplify that. Again, I don't know much about the Strange lore behind the Doc, but does current run Doc Strange carry it? I don't remember seeing him with the Amulet and Wikipedia says that the Amulet was destroyed along with Brother Voodoo. Plus, if the Amulet gets torn of the source of its power, it opens up the door to dark Doctor Strange sacrificing his soul to demonic creatures for some awesome power.

Also, Clea is confirmed to not be in this one, right? I wouldn't be shocked if Dormmammu is in one of the credits scene or at least teased to be the one behind Kaecilius.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In regards of this Introduction of the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse stuff, I am curious if they gonna hopp through random older Cinematic Universes. Would be cool they fight, jump through a portal and are for a couple of seconds in the Raimiverse or something :D

Most likely wont happen, but would be damn cool and could be made with CGI.

In regards of this Introduction of the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse stuff, I am curious if they gonna hopp through random older Cinematic Universes. Would be cool they fight, jump through a portal and are for a couple of seconds in the Raimiverse or something :D

Most likely wont happen, but would be damn cool and could be made with CGI.

Can't say I've got any desire to see this really

Holland Spidey: "Why am I chubby and crying?"

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
ABC Chief on Network’s Future: More Marvel, More Procedurals and Maybe ‘Star Wars’

New ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey outlined her vision for the broadcast network’s programming future on Thursday — one that includes more procedurals, more Marvel and a possible “Star Wars” television series.

More series from another Disney sibling, Marvel Entertainment, also appear to be in the works. Earlier this year ABC canceled one of its two Marvel series, “Agent Carter,” and decided not to pick up another, “Marvel’s Most Wanted,” which had long been in development. Both shows had ties to ABC’s original Marvel series, “Agents of SHIELD,” which has seen it’s rating sag as it heads into a fourth season. Dungey hinted that a new strategy for Marvel on ABC may be in the works.

“We all came to an agreement that the next show that we want to do together is something that is as creatively strong as it can be,” Dungey said of discussions with Marvel. Asked whether ABC would want to carve out narrative niche for a family of Marvel shows as Netflix has done with series such as “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones” and the upcoming “Luke Cage,” Dungey said, “That’s an interesting question, and we have talked a little bit about that, yes.”

jmood88

If they can do 13 or fewer episode seasons. I hate the slog of standard network 22-26 episode seasons with all the fat and filler.
With the exception of musical or flashback episodes, I've never agreed with what people consider to be "filler". There doesn't need to be nonstop action or even things that move the main story forward for an episode to be meaningful/worthwhile.

tomtom94

To be fair, Marvel usually lock directors down with a few months to start pre-production (Gunn was hired in September 2012, for a July 2014 release). But I'd still feel a lot happier if we had someone locked in place, if nothing else it would make it less likely to get delayed again.

Also, apparently Surtur was announced for Thor Ragnarok and I missed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom