• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
thought this was pretty cool:
pUepJnw.gif

Haha, this is amazing :D

curb

Banned
Interesting to see no Spidey on the cover.

I keep seeing speculation that Marvel isn't allowed to use Spidey in a lot of the promotional stuff. I don't put a lot of stock in it myself as he makes more of a surprise appearance. I do find it odd though that there doesn't seem to be many (any?) standalone Civil War Spider-Man toys.

As far as I'm aware, all of the Spider-Man toys are bundled with others...like Funko's Spider-Man Pop! figure comes in a pack with him and Hawkeye plus some keychains of Captain America and Iron Man, Marvel Legends Spider-Man comes in a 3-pack with battle damaged Captain America and Iron Man, and the Hot Toys Cosbaby Spider-Man is exclusive to a Team Iron set.

curb

Banned
As far as I'm aware, all of the Spider-Man toys are bundled with others...like Funko's Spider-Man Pop! figure comes in a pack with him and Hawkeye plus some keychains of Captain America and Iron Man, Marvel Legends Spider-Man comes in a 3-pack with battle damaged Captain America and Iron Man, and the Hot Toys Cosbaby Spider-Man is exclusive to a Team Iron set.

That's weird, right? People love the new Spidey, was so little and so limited with the merch?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Spiderman is nowhere to be seen in any of CW's marketing materials. He is not even in the new Marvel logo (based on the movies). This Marvel - Sony deal, what is publicly known, is really weird and one sided.

Marvel Studios is basically making Sony's Spiderman movie for them and they're not allowed to put the character on their damn logo?

Sony, why?

Anth0ny

Spiderman is nowhere to be seen in any of CW's marketing materials. He is not even in the new Marvel logo (based on the movies). This Marvel - Sony deal, what is publicly known, is really weird and one sided.

It's baffling to me.

I don't understand how anyone benefits from Spidey not being on marketing material, whether that's trailers, commercials, posters, toys, blu rays...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think they are still figuring out marketing stuff. Pretty sure the old contract is not longer used. Sony would be stupid if they stayed with the old contract.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I think they are still figuring out marketing stuff. Pretty sure the old contract is not longer used. Sony would be stupid if they stayed with the old contract.

They were still working out the initial deal after the announcement IIRC, and I think the Russos said something akin to what you typed. There's a lot of stuff that we probably don't think about that needs approval from various suits.

Anth0ny

They were still working out the initial deal after the announcement IIRC, and I think the Russos said something akin to what you typed. There's a lot of stuff that we probably don't think about that needs approval from various suits.

I just don't understand how the suits come out of what has to be multiple meetings at this point, coming to the same conclusion:

"... so until that's figured out, no Spider-Man in the trailers, commercials, posters, toys or any other marketing material."

like... what.

Spider-Man is really not crucial to the movie I don't see any reason he should share cover space with the likes of Wanda or Bucky or T'Challa. It's kinda busy enough as it is.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Hmmmm...

2. Anthony asks the writers about the word sequence used to trigger the Winter Soldier/Bucky (Sebastian Stan), and they reply with a massive spoiler. “Everything he says is a title of a forthcoming Marvel movie.” They say the words were chosen deliberately for their sound and connotations.

Obviously they won't actually be the titles to most of the films, more like codenames or something similar, but interesting nonetheless.

The words:
Longing
Rusted
Furnace
Daybreak
Seventeen
Benign
Nine
Homecoming (Spider-Man)
One
Freight Car

It's baffling to me.

I don't understand how anyone benefits from Spidey not being on marketing material, whether that's trailers, commercials, posters, toys, blu rays...

Marvel shit their bed with those early 90 deals, but the spiderman one was the worst one by far, it came after they had recovered from bankruptcy and miraculously regained the movie rights back to spidey in '99 IIRC. They then sold those rights to Sony for something like $7-10 mil and Sony also got 50% of the merchandise rights. IIRC Sony could have had in perpetuity if they wanted to. Like WTF. How do you give up that much lol, They eventually got all the merchandise rights back, but it cost them their participation in the movies and a backend deal they had to pay Sony for every spiderman movie. At least that was the old deal before this new arrangement happened.

Hmmmm...

Obviously they won't actually be the titles to most of the films, more like codenames or something similar, but interesting nonetheless.

The words:
Longing (GOTG 2, what with the parents and what not?)
Rusted (Iron-Man related likely)
Furnace (Fire, a lot of flames, the Human Torch, F4 rights back to Marvel confirmed)
Daybreak (Obviously a Blade solo film or a Morbius spin-off)
Seventeen (Kamala Khan)
Benign-Nine (Benign-nine -> B99 -> Brooklyn Nine-Nine -> Andy Samberg is Nova)
Homecoming (Spider-Man)
One (Lord of the Rings x MCU, obviously)
Freight Car (Freightcar -> Boxcar -> Boxcar Kids -> A group of kids with some talent at doing shit -> Power Pack)

There you go, Phase 4 decoded.

Dalek

Hmmmm...

The words:
Longing
Rusted
Furnace
Daybreak
Seventeen
Benign
Nine
Homecoming (Spider-Man)
One
Freight Car

I heard that too and felt it was just a joke-meaning it was pure coincidence that "homecoming" was used. They said they just picked words that sounded cool in Russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom