• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this how the Vulture will look in Spider-Man: Homecoming?

ti19uee.jpg

I don't trust "leaked" images anymore that are some skewed photo of a computer screen. Magazine scan? Sure, maybe. But this is probably a concept sketch someone did based off the released concept image and then filtered to make it look authentic.

I don't trust "leaked" images anymore that are some skewed photo of a computer screen. Magazine scan? Sure, maybe. But this is probably a concept sketch someone did based off the released concept image and then filtered to make it look authentic.

Sure, could be, but then realistically they're planning and manufacturing merch for Homecoming right now.

I really liked Dr. Strange, but that new Marvel Studios logo is ridiculous. It goes on longer than most shots in Winter Soldier and Civil War.

Since some posters have been doing this. Here's my list:

Great
Doctor Strange
Captain America Civil War
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Iron Man
Daredevil Season 1
Jessica Jones Season 1
Daredevil Season 2
Agents of Shield Season 4
Agent Carter Season 1- 2

Good
Ant-Man
Luke Cage Season 1
Agents of Shield Season 2-3
Iron-Man 3
Captain America
Thor
Thor 2
Avengers Age of Ultron

OK-Tier
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Agent of Shield Season 1

What they should have said was: Let's hope Mads Mikkelson is the last good actor to play an undercooked Marvel villain.

I wonder what his response to that would have been?

BLACKLAC

I wonder what his response to that would have been?

"Every villain in my film is better than any villain this year in the genre sans Zemo."

All Mads needed was a 2 min scene when he's locked up showing why he came to the Ancient One in the first place. Mordo mentions that Kaecilius losing everything brought him to the Ancient One. Perfect place to show it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I thought Rachel's character was fine. She had stuff to do, she didn't just chase after and pine for the hero, which truly would have made her a "useless girlfriend." She didn't need to be rescued, so they avoided that trope. She's primarily in the movie to keep Strange grounded and increase his internal conflict — "should I go be a magic monk or return home and be a doctor again?" — not to be a love interest.

Of all the leading women in MCU movies, I think Christine was one of the better ones.

Ashhong

It's like they think any female character that is not a main character is just a "useless" character. Her entire character was a bit boring, but what more can you ask for from someone in this movie that doesn't even do magic?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The consortium who decided about the Fate of the Constantin Media Conglomerat decided to sell the Movie business.
Lets Go Fantastic Four Movie Rights!

There are still a couple of things to work out, but maybe now is the chance.

Or Fox finally swallows the rights forever.

BLACKLAC

The consortium who decided about the Fate of the Constantin Media Conglomerat decided to sell the Movie business.

Links? Any bidders?

TDLink

Well it's definitely interesting. If bidding is truly open I can't imagine Marvel settling for anything less than a win.

Presumably Fox will have first right of refusal or something. Don't get excited.
I'm pretty sure Marvel licences are non-transferable. The reason for this for fear that they may be sold to someone the licensor (i.e. Marvel) thinks will degrade their value.

Otherwise, there's nothing stopping film licenses being bought and sold between studios for speculative profit.

I can give you a german source: http://www.dwdl.de/nachrichten/58684/constantinhauptversammlung_endet_im_totalen_chaos/

Its a big chaos currently at Constantin and the decision was made a few hours ago, I think it will be some time until we hear something out of this.
I will let you know asap as I hear something.

The valuation of the FF license in Constantin's financials is so undervalued, that it must be the book value of the original acquisition.

El Topo

The valuation of the FF license in Constantin's financials is so undervalued, that it must the book value of the original acquisition.

Did you actually find the license in their official financial report? I assume you're referring to the expected price for the department? I'm still not really sure if they hold the actual license. That said, €200m for the whole of the movie department seems little anyway. That department still generates a revenue of roughly €270m.

I'm pretty sure Marvel licences are non-transferable. The reason for this for fear that they may be sold to someone the licensor (i.e. Marvel) thinks will degrade their value.

Otherwise, there's nothing stopping film licenses being bought and sold between studios for speculative profit.
Pretty sure that's not the case as a few of Marvel's properties exchanged hands back in the 90's and 00's. New Line was working on a Deadpool movie for example before selling it to Fox.

Did you actually find the license in their official financial report?

It was either in their financials or read it on Bloomberg. I'll take a look on my work computer on Monday. If memory serves right it was < 15 M E. The book value would have been set in DM which makes it further unclear.

You can probably work out the license fee they pay Marvel buy looking at the P/L statement under Operating Income/cost of license fees in FYs they produced FF film and measure the difference from the previous and subsequent year (on the assumption that it is the biggest license fee -- tbh, i don't know what other kind of films they make)

El Topo

It was either in their financials or read it on Bloomberg. I'll take a look on my work computer on Monday. If memory serves right it was < 15 M E. The book value would have been set in DM which makes it further unclear.

You can probably work out the license fee they pay Marvel buy looking at the P/L statement under Operating Income/cost of license fees in FYs they produced FF film and measure the difference from the previous and subsequent year (on the assumption that it is the biggest license fee -- tbh, i don't know what other kind of films they make)

I only took a brief look at their (i.e. Constantin's) annual reports and didn't see it there at first glance. That's a really good recommendation, I might do that later. Thanks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I don't understand what I'm reading. What is a "Constantin Media Conglomerat," why is their "fate" being decided, what does it have to do with the FF, and why is the only source in German?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't understand what I'm reading. What is a "Constantin Media Conglomerat," why is their "fate" being decided, what does it have to do with the FF, and why is the only source in German?
-Constantin Media are the owner of the Fantastic Four Rights
-I am talking about fate because the company is currebntly going to be torn appart in smaller companys and the movie business is going to be sold
-Because its the most important german media group and its news in german medias and I dont give a shit if you believe when I posting the current situation, you can google a english article on your own, but I doubt its news anywhere in england or america.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Constantin Film is a German film company that owns the rights to the Fantastic Four films.

-Constantin Media are the owner of the Fantastic Four Rights
-I am talking about fate because the company is currebntly going to be torn appart in smaller companys and the movie business is going to be sold
-Because its the most important german media group and its news in german medias and I dont give a shit if you believe when I posting the current situation, you can google a english article on your own, but I doubt its news anywhere in england or america.

Thanks, I've just literally never heard of them. I wasn't aware there was an intermediary group that owned the rights, I thought Marvel sold them to Fox directly. How'd that happen anyway?

Thanks, I've just literally never heard of them. I wasn't aware there was an intermediary group that owned the rights, I thought Marvel sold them to Fox directly. How'd that happen anyway?
Cosntantin made a deal with Fox that allowed Fox to produce and distribute the films, I believe.

Edit: Off topic, but I wonder if Constantin still have the rights to The NeverEnding Story? I recall there being talk of a remake from Kathleen Kennedy's (of Lucasfilm) production company but they had trouble getting the rights.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sorry then, the I read your post in a meaner way as you intended.
The rights where sold in 1983 to german Filmmaker Bernd Eichinger and Constantin, but somehow he didnt get around making the movie until he did a unrealesed movie together with Roger Corman because they needed to extend the rights: https://youtu.be/pKxCzZeb5Fg

Later on, Constantin seemingly needed help with funding for the first two modern movies, so they made a deal with Fox.

Pretty sure that's not the case as a few of Marvel's properties exchanged hands back in the 90's and 00's. New Line was working on a Deadpool movie for example before selling it to Fox.
How did Fox acquire the rights to Deadpool from New Line? Since Fox shoe-horned Deadpool into Wolverine Origins to prevent the non-commericialization clause from triggering - it must have been sub-licensed, right?

In any case, there's no real reason why Constantin would give Fox an offer of first refusal for F4 since it's not their property to begin with and their dealings have been arm's length,

Hollywood Reporter have an article about it now.
This week, the jocks at Constantin approved a proposal by management for a “strategic realignment” that aims to split off Constantin's film division and focus operations on its sports and event marketing businesses. After a two-day marathon meeting, a majority of shareholders voted to support the measure.
In a counter statement, Highlight Communications, the Swiss-based company that controls Constantin Film, rejected the shareholder vote, accusing Kogel's and Hahn's sports-only contingent of bad faith and suspicious maneuverings in the shareholder vote.

“Highlight Communications considers all resolutions of the annual general meeting of Constantin Medien to be null and void,” reads the statement, calling the vote illegitimate and alleging that “38.6 percent of the shareholder votes were arbitrarily excluded from the vote.”

Highlight said it will challenge the Constantin Medien vote and called for the immediate resignation of company CEO Kogel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom