• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

That was in play since Winter Soldier. Russos have said several times they consider a lot of things, like having the computer in the bunker basically stand up and flee the run but it was deemed a bit silly. Probably kept kicking the idea around.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
ArnimZola_v10_JoshNizzi.jpg

I like the idea of this mannequin carrying a TV around all the time.

Signs point to Constantin having the production rights while Fox having the distribution rights (or first rights of refusal). If that is the case - and Marvel bought the production rights from Constantin - it is unknown if Fox distribution rights expire after a certain amount of years or if we'll be stuck in a Hulk like situation (where we don't know if Universal has first rights of distribution refusal forever).

Pretty sure that's not the case as a few of Marvel's properties exchanged hands back in the 90's and 00's. New Line was working on a Deadpool movie for example before selling it to Fox.

At one point, in the 70s IIRC, this dude bought the rights to all of Marvel properties for $2,500 bucks. Not just film rights, but merchandise rights, TV show rights, etc. It's a downright miracle that Sony was able to buy Spiderman rights after they returned to Marvel in the early 90s, and then for Marvel to regain Spiderman merchandise rights and part of its film rights more recently. Marvel made a lot of bonehead decisions before the introduction of MS and the Disney acquisition.

Cosntantin made a deal with Fox that allowed Fox to produce and distribute the films, I believe.

Edit: Off topic, but I wonder if Constantin still have the rights to The NeverEnding Story? I recall there being talk of a remake from Kathleen Kennedy's (of Lucasfilm) production company but they had trouble getting the rights.

NeverEnding Story is a very "Disney like" franchise too. It would fit great under Lucasfilm brand too and help Lucas diversify its portfolio. If they indeed own it, then it presents itself as a tempting acquisition target for Disney. Would be good to know the answer to that question and how much Constantin would go for.

If they own production rights to FF, NeverEnding Story, and Resident Evil, then it might be worth the $200MM investment.

Signs point to Constantin having the production rights while Fox having the distribution rights (or first rights of refusal). If that is the case - and Marvel bought the distribution rights from Constantin - it is unknown if Fox distribution rights expire after a certain amount of years or if we'll be stuck in a Hulk like situation (where we don't know if Universal has first rights of distribution refusal forever).
Really curious what the details of that would be. The deal they had for F4 was definitely under the timed contract that we're familiar with (The last one just barely made the deadline), but who knows what the rules are in that specific situation. My guess is it would still return to Marvel after the clock was up.

NeverEnding Story is a very "Disney like" franchise too. It would fit great under Lucasfilm brand too and help Lucas diversify its portfolio. If they indeed own it, then it presents itself as a tempting acquisition target for Disney Would be good to know the answer to that question and how much Constantin would go for.
I want this to happen if for no other reason than the theme park potential.

NeverEnding Story is a very "Disney like" franchise too. It would fit great under Lucasfilm brand too and help Lucas diversify its portfolio. If they indeed own it, then it presents itself as a tempting acquisition target for Disney Would be good to know the answer to that question and how much Constantin would go for.

If they own production rights to FF, NeverEnding Story, and Resident Evil, then it might be worth the $200MM investment.
Yeah, that book is the perfect fit for Disney and I've been aching for a remake that covers the entirety of it.

I love those Zola concepts, hopefully they find a way to make that a thing.

The first and last concepts can really be the scariest fucking things in the MCU.

Love the first and last versions of that Zola concept. Would love to see a combo of two with the head of the last one and the chest of the first one. I love the creepiness of the first one's head, but I think it would be really interesting if it could pass a human in the dark or from far away so I like the possibilities of the last one's mannequin head.

That third one is hilarious though.

This is the coolest fucking thing, but it's hard to imagine something so weird appearing anywhere except maybe a post-credit scene.
Yeah they're super cool designs but the small scale nature of Ant-Man's plot didn't really lend itself to something as out there as robo Zola without calling undue attention to him, which would have just ended up distracting from the central conflict. But I definitely wish he had appeared in a post-credit scene, but I don't see them having big plans for Zola in the future, sadly.

Tom_Cody

Yeah they're super cool designs but the small scale nature of Ant-Man's plot didn't really lend itself to something as out there as robo Zola without calling undue attention to him, which would have just ended up distracting from the central conflict. But I definitely wish he had appeared in a post-credit scene, but I don't see them having big plans for Zola in the future, sadly.
Distracting is the key word in my head. It would be a fun callback for Marvel nerds, but it would have been hugely distracting for everyone else. Same thing if de-aged Robert Redford had appeared in the scene.

Looking through the guys work for Avengers AoU and

WHYYYYYYY weren't these the final designs?

Eh. That Ultron is pretty close to what we got. That Strucker is cool, but the movie version is a little closer to the comics.

That just reminds me of how hard they wasted Strucker though lol. He could have been a whole villain in another movie but they punked him out so fast. They didn't even bother to kill him on screen lol. The only way his appearance makes sense is if they had planned to actually use him for A.o.S. but at the last second couldn't make it work. I can't imagine any other reason for them to throw a decent Hydra villain away like that unless they just REALLY wanted to close the book on Hydra for good, which they totally could have done without killing him.

Double post

To all the folks complaining about McAdams, did ya'll complain about Rachel in TDK? She was a textbook damsel in distress and a wasteman love interest for TWO characters FOH.
camby.png

Nope, watching Civil War tonight for the umpteenth time and just don't get the complaints about how it's "messy". The plot isn't perfect, but ties together all the different characters so damn well. Also, RDJ and Evans acting their absolute balls off. So impressive.

That scene with the "olive branch" is so well performed by both of them, you can genuinely see how strained these two friends are and how it's hurting them both to be conflicted. I cannot wait for Infinity War, I am so glad the Russos have rightly been given keys to the castle.

Double post

To all the folks complaining about McAdams, did ya'll complain about Rachel in TDK? She was a textbook damsel in distress and a wasteman love interest for TWO characters FOH.
camby.png

I full on laughed when Rachel died in TDK. I know that sounds completely sociopathic, but something about the juxtaposition of her mid sentence with the explosion just killed me. That, and I didn't really get why anybody would give up being Batman for her.

Not gonna hate on TDK because it's a really great movie even though I think Begins is better but this is still my favourite thing that spawned from it:

I full on laughed when Rachel died in TDK. I know that sounds completely sociopathic, but something about the juxtaposition of her mid sentence with the explosion just killed me. That, and I didn't really get why anybody would give up being Batman for her.

CsL1W.png

BLACKLAC

This scene was flat out brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8hbAIm3m3c

Zac Fanni ‏@ProfessorZac Nov 11
Just treated to some footage of #GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 . Jail heist with baby Groot - it is electric with humor and style. Cannot wait.

Zac Fanni ‏@ProfessorZac 23h23 hours ago
Saw some preview footage from @TaikaWaititi's #ThorRagnarok: epic, wry, human. Hela seems a total badass. Most anticipated Marvel movie ever

Eh. That Ultron is pretty close to what we got. That Strucker is cool, but the movie version is a little closer to the comics.

That just reminds me of how hard they wasted Strucker though lol. He could have been a whole villain in another movie but they punked him out so fast. They didn't even bother to kill him on screen lol. The only way his appearance makes sense is if they had planned to actually use him for A.o.S. but at the last second couldn't make it work. I can't imagine any other reason for them to throw a decent Hydra villain away like that unless they just REALLY wanted to close the book on Hydra for good, which they totally could have done without killing him.
Ultron has his iconic gaping maw and Strucker has the Satan Claw in the concept art, tho.

And yeah, Strucker was wasted big time. I was so disappointed when they killed him off.
I thought I was the only one.

This scene was flat out brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8hbAIm3m3c

Zac Fanni ‏@ProfessorZac Nov 11
Just treated to some footage of #GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 . Jail heist with baby Groot - it is electric with humor and style. Cannot wait.

Zac Fanni ‏@ProfessorZac 23h23 hours ago
Saw some preview footage from @TaikaWaititi's #ThorRagnarok: epic, wry, human. Hela seems a total badass. Most anticipated Marvel movie ever

Getting more hype for Thor: Ragnarok.

Wtf. Why are so many liking the Zola one with the small TV. It's the worst.

Because it's creepy and unsettling. You can just imagine the vibe you'd get from this robo-mannequin being controlled by him, particularly if they don't make it obvious at first that it's even a mannequin. The middle two are just plain terrible. I do like that the first has the monitor in the robot's chest.

Quick

Banned
Yeah, but he wont because Kevin Feige is no idiot

If you're referring to Mel Gibson specifically, there's nothing idiotic about it, I think.

Not to disregard Mel's past, but it seems like he's on his way back to Hollywood's good graces. And his resume as director speaks for itself.

El Topo

Don't point at another movie in an attempt to excuse a shitty character. I'm not sure if there has been a worse one in MCU. Maybe Jane in Thor, but she got a lot of screentime and Thor 2 on the other hand.

If you're referring to Mel Gibson specifically, there's nothing idiotic about it, I think.

Not to disregard Mel's past, but it seems like he's on his way back to Hollywood's good graces. And his resume as director speaks for itself.

They're not going to hire him for a mainstream family movie. That seems unlikely. Not impossible, but it's not like they need a director of his calibre anyway.

guek

Banned
If they must do an Iron Man 4, I want Favreau back with complete autonomy. Iron Man 2 was butchered and ripped to shreds by producer meddling. Favreau deserves another shot.

Don't point at another movie in an attempt to excuse a shitty character. I'm not sure if there has been a worse one in MCU. Maybe Jane in Thor, but she got a lot of screentime and Thor 2 on the other hand.

She was fine, folks bitch about how she was given nothing to do it's a movie about sorcerers and magic and shit, what the Fuck is she supposed to do bruh?

He never said no cliche shit like 'I love you', they never kissed, and they weren't in love, If folks want something to bitch about, bitch about kaecilius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom