• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, finished Luke Cage.

I'm a bit torn on the last episode. They really need to take a long hard look at how they want to wrap these episodes up in the future. The final fight was pretty damn corny and had very little tension compared to their first encounter when Luke and Claire are running away from Diamondback or when Misty gets shot. I almost expected someone to shout World Star. I think they should have taken a different approach for the final fight here. Having two dudes duke it out in the middle of the streets is not exciting.

Still, didn't ruin the series for me and the stuff that followed afterwards was pretty cool:
- Mariah Dillard has finally become Black Mariah and has Shades at her side. This will probably be a central aspect of season 2.
- Luke being taken in and having to deal with his past is the perfect excuse for him to meet Matt Murdock in Defenders. Now the question is how are JJ and Danny gonna get tied up in that.
- I had to laugh when I saw Claire take the number from that martial arts class ad. I absolutely love Rosario and she's always a delight when she appears in these Netflix shows. I assume by the end of Iron Fist or Defenders she's finally gonna have set up her clinic.
- Speaking of setting up shop: I really wonder if Pop's barbershop is gonna be the place where Luke and Denny set up Heroes for Hire. They kept teasing that part for like 13 episodes. No way in hell they're not doing that at some point.
- Misty really went through some heavy shit this season. I wonder what this means for her character going forward. Is she gonna stay a cop? What's gonna be her relationship to Colleen? The thing with her arm felt like a tease for the fans of the character but I very much doubt that she's going to lose her arm for real. P.S.: She looked stunning in her comic book outfit.
- I'm torn at Diamondback being still alive and in Rackham's hands. On one hand, having well-developed relationships between the heroes and villains are absolutely necessary, I felt like they wrapped it up quite nicely. Luke's arc in this season was about him dealing with his past and accepting his role as hero in Harlem. Bringing back Diamondback would feel like a step back. But who knows, maybe he'll get some cool powers.

In conclusion, I enjoyed it despite some of the issues I had with it. I think it might be the most consistent and best paced of the Netflix shows. It didn't have the highs of Daredevil but also didn't feel as drawn out as Jessica Jones.

Ranking:

1. Daredevil S2
2. Luke Cage S1
3. Daredevil S1
4. Jessica Jones S1

curb

Banned
I really enjoyed Doctor Strange. The first film that made me not hate 3D. That was some good stuff.

Worth seeing solely for Tilda Swinton's
big fight scene

Blackhead

Redarse
Her character wasn't really underdeveloped. She is a woman that worships Strange (and presumably still loves him) despite his behavior, she is a well-respected doctor that needs him at the beginning of the movie (for a second opinion/to save the patient), almost fucks up saving Strange until the latter intervenes and she doesn't manage to save the Ancient One. Her role is shitty, but not exactly underdeveloped.

Whoa I've read some critical interpretations of the Palmer character but this takes the cake. She loves Strange but doesn't worship him; we see her criticise his choices/behavior repeatedly and she passed on his advances twice. And Strange loves her back obviously; even after she didn't accept his invitation to the event, Strange still chose to wear the watch she gave him. She's not just a well-respected doctor as it's established that she was a collaborative partner for Strange and even he admits that one of his famous procedures could be named after her as well. She 'needs' him at the start of the movie because they have different areas of specialization but she has already gone above and beyond by realizing that the initial diagnosis was off. She didn't almost fuck up saving Strange, if anything his interventions was distracting her from keeping his body going (and she shocked him back to life in her own initiative saving his Astral protection and giving him the idea to win the battle). The Ancient One was beyond saving and Strange himself couldn't do anything about it.

All of the Marvel love interests are underutilized but McAdams had the most independent character to work with in an origin film, certainly more than Pepper etc

El Topo

Whoa I've read some critical interpretations of the Palmer character but this takes the cake. She loves Strange but doesn't worship him; we see her criticise his choices/behavior repeatedly and she passed on his advances twice. And Strange loves her back obviously; even after she didn't accept his invitation to the event, Strange still chose to wear the watch she gave him. She's not just a well-respected doctor as it's established that she was a collaborative partner for Strange and even he admits that one of his famous procedures could be named after her as well. She 'needs' him at the start of the movie because they have different areas of specialization but she has already gone above and beyond by realizing that the initial diagnosis was off. She didn't almost fuck up saving Strange, if anything his interventions was distracting her from keeping his body going (and she shocked him back to life in her own initiative saving his Astral protection and giving him the idea to win the battle). The Ancient One was beyond saving and Strange himself couldn't do anything about it.

She arguably considers him the best and needs him and his opinion at the beginning of the movie to save a patient (that he operates on). Without Strange that patient dies. She is also extremely supportive of Strange until the latter abandons her and (subsequently) goes to Kathmandu. Given the later scenes, I don't think one can reasonably argue that she doesn't have strong feelings for him.
When he returns to the hospital injured he has to correct her on where to put the syringe. I don't think using the defibrillator when Strange's heart stops counts much after that.
Later when the Ancient One is brought in she fails to save her. You could argue that there was nothing she could do, but either way Christine doesn't manage to save her.

She gets absolutely nothing to work with.

All of the Marvel love interests are underutilized but McAdams had the most independent character to work with in an origin film, certainly more than Pepper etc

Pepper sneaks into the office to steal data, gets involved with Shield in an attempt to take down Stane and overloads the reactor which ultimately takes down Stane.
Christine...saves Strange after he tells her how? She's there to make Strange look better. That's all. Not even Jane was this bad.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I want to see the person who doesnt makes mistakes while a ghost or astralbeeing is talking to him or her.
I dont see this as something to label her as incompetent. Its odd that she is a woman and that this fits into tropes, but like I said. This would happen to everyone.

I want to see the person who doesnt makes mistakes while a ghost or astralbeeing is talking to him or her.
I dont see this as something to label her as incompetent. Its odd that she is a woman and that this fits into tropes, but like I said. This would happen to everyone.

You know what's even odder? How often women are victims to these "oddities" as opposed to men.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You know what's even odder? How often women are victims to these "oddities" as opposed to men.
This is true

Yeah, and I know that because its so often women who suffer from this trope it manages to make their way into the brains of the people.

Was maybe a stupid point from me, but I personally wouldnt label her as incompetent because of that

This is true

Yeah, and I know that because its so often women who suffer from this trope it manages to make their way into the brains of the people.

Was maybe a stupid point from me, but I personally wouldnt label her as incompetent because of that

I don't think she's shown to be incompetent either but I also think it's sometimes easy to forget that these are 100% constructed characters in 100% constructed scenes. Every single nuance of an action and word is deliberate. I wouldn't question something like that if I saw it in real life (I mean, aside from the supernatural stuff) but in a film everything has a purpose and the way Christine is shown in Doc Strange it's clear what hers is.

Blackhead

Redarse
She arguably considers him the best and needs him and his opinion at the beginning of the movie to save a patient (that he operates on). Without Strange that patient dies. She is also extremely supportive of Strange until the latter abandons her and (subsequently) goes to Kathmandu. Given the later scenes, I don't think one can reasonably argue that she doesn't have strong feelings for him.
When he returns to the hospital injured he has to correct her on where to put the syringe. I don't think using the defibrillator when Strange's heart stops counts much after that.
Later when the Ancient One is brought in she fails to save her. You could argue that there was nothing she could do, but either way Christine doesn't manage to save her.

She gets absolutely nothing to work with.

Pepper sneaks into the office to steal data, gets involved with Shield in an attempt to take down Stane and overloads the reactor which ultimately takes down Stane.
Christine...saves Strange after he tells her how? She's there to make Strange look better. That's all. Not even Jane was this bad.
I did not argue she doesn't have strong feelings for him. I argued that she didn't worship him.

Strange didn't tell her what to do, he told her to be careful at what she was already doing and startled her with the astral projection, weird wound shit. Strange came to her to save his body and she did, despite his distractions.

Palmer wasn't beholden to Strange. No damsel in distress shit. Both at the start and end of the movie she makes the choice to focus on her own priorities at ER, which is a different way to serve/save people than Strange's egotistical way. The romance wasnt forced, they didn't even kiss iirc. She didn't have her own independent storyline but the character was very independent

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am the point where a good to very good Marvel movie just get a place in the middle of my rankings because they already have so many amazing movies :D

Quick

Banned

YES!

frnXxyM.gif

If there's another Avengers movie, Wolverine, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange & Spider-Man all need to be involved along with Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Vision & Falcon.

Go all out on it. :)

If there's another Avengers movie, Wolverine, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange & Spider-Man all need to be involved along with Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Vision & Falcon.

Pretty sure that's the idea with Infinity War (minus Wolverine of course).

If there's another Avengers movie, Wolverine Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange & Spider-Man all need to be involved along with Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Vision & Falcon.

Marvel's gotcha covered.

TDLink

Liked Doctor Strange but I felt like it could have been longer. On the one hand it leaving me wanting more Strange is a great thing (because I do want to see way more of this character on the big screen), but on the other I think the film would have been improved a lot if a few specific sequences had some more time to breathe.

Specifically I think Strange's life before going to Nepal could really have been expanded on. We really only get one big scene with him being a Surgeon and then the stuff with Christine is used to fill in other gaps. But if the movie took it slower and really held built up his character more than just an asshole caricature it really would have benefited. This is a common problem I find with modern blockbusters though, in a rush to get to the action they rush through important sections that could be used for integral character development. At only around 2 hours they could have afforded 10 more minutes here.

The other section that could have used a bit more time was Strange's training. Obviously he's not done learning by the end of the movie, but it still felt like he progressed pretty fast. Maybe some sort of indication of passage of time would have helped here because it was impossible to tell if this all happened over the course of a few weeks, months, or years.

I loved all the action sequences, very creative. Kaecillius was well done for what he was, but could have been even better. Definitely not a Malekith-tier badguy but not great either. He could have used more time as well. Final confrontation with Dormmamu was fantastic and completely unexpected. Very Doctor Strange.

Overall really pleased a big budget Doctor Strange film was made. Feels like it was on the cusp of being a timeless classic though and instead fell into the pitfalls of modern film-making with a bit too fast a pace, leaving little breathing room for character development.

Definitely in the upper half of MCU films for me.

Oh and I'm pretty excited that Strange will apparently be in Thor 3 also, which I somehow had also avoided discovering so was a pleasant surprise.

Ashhong

I did notice that the music was better in Strange, obviously due to Michael. However I didn't hear a "theme" for him, unless the end credits was supposed to be it. Hate it or love it, Wonder Woman's theme is instantly recognizable and memorable and I really like that. I wish more of these comic book movies had that.

Anth0ny

I did notice that the music was better in Strange, obviously due to Michael. However I didn't hear a "theme" for him, unless the end credits was supposed to be it. Hate it or love it, Wonder Woman's theme is instantly recognizable and memorable and I really like that. I wish more of these comic book movies had that.

agreed. the song in the end credits was alright, but yeah, definitely doesn't stand out like the wonder woman theme. none of the music does, besides maybe the avengers theme.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
The Doc Strange soundtrack is pretty damn good but they really need to actually let us hear it[/I].

That's my problem as well, it's not really in issue about only the music/composer but also how it's mixed in the movie as well. I barely heard the music in the movie until the credits rolled and I can't really recall what the music was since I've only seen it once and that was last week.

Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up until they do something about the sound mixing. At least that's and issue that the DC movies don't have.

Giacchino rumor is confirmed
https://mobile.twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/795304910782742528

tw9TD55.png

http://io9.gizmodo.com/michael-giacchino-confirms-hes-scoring-spider-man-home-1788633179
According to a Reddit post, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige let it slip during a recent Doctor Strange screening that Giacchino, who created the music for Doctor Strange, would be returning to the MCU for Spider-Man: Homecoming. He then reportedly followed with: “We announced that right? I really hope we announced that.”

edit: I see there was already a thread for the rumor, and the confirmation was also posted in there as well.
carry on... nothing to see here.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Tyler Bates
Spider-Man: Homecoming - Michael Giacchino
Thor: Ragnarok - Mark Mothersbaugh
Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson (apparently)
Avengers: Infinity War - Alan Silvestri
Ant-Man and the Wasp - Christophe Beck
Captain Marvel - ???
Avengers 4 - Alan Silvestri

Ashhong

The theme is this:

https://youtu.be/Csqb-BcGP64?t=220

It plays at the 'hero moments' in the film, is reworked to form the subdued/mystic theme in the movie, and is very prominent in the end credits. It's the theme you're supposed to leave the theater humming (and I found I did).

I only heard that during the end credits and immediately thought of the Harry Potter theme lol. I definitely could not remember it as soon as I walked out though. It's a good step forward though, much more memorable than any other MCU movie IMO.

guek

Banned

It looked to me like Strange was in cardiac tamponade which occurs when blood seeps into the lining surrounding the heart, preventing it from contracting. I don't think she was actually making a mistake, you're absolutely supposed to do emergent pericardiocentesis (drainage with a needle) but Strange was still being a dick and trying to micromanage needle placement from the astral plane. Palmer was far from an incompetent doctor in the film, she never made any mistakes to begin with.

Well just came back from watching Doctor Strange and Marvel Studios does it again. Aside from the first Iron Man film, it's now my favorite Marvel origins film.

BLACKLAC

Are we busting out lists?

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. The Avengers
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Doctor Strange
7. Ant-Man
8. Season 4 of Agents of Shield
9. Daredevil
10. Iron Man 3
11. Iron Man 1
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Thor
----POWER GAP----
14. Jessica Jones
15. Luke Cage
16. Agent Carter
17. Iron Man 2
18. Agents of Shield 1-3
----POWER GAP----
19. Thor: The Dark World
20. The Incredible Hulk

But where do the MCU films rank as cards?
Blackjack rules apply. I excluded TV shows, because you can't really compare that to the film as their constraints are different beasts.

Ace: Iron Man
King: The Avengers
Queen: Captain America 2
Jack: Captain America 3
10: Iron Man 3
9: Guardians of the Galaxy
8: Dr. Strange
7: Ant-Man
6: Thor
5: Captain America
4: Avengers 2
3: The Incredible Hulk
2: Iron Man 2

Joker: Thor 2

Just saw Strange. Really enjoyed it, especially the ending and the promise of the mid-credits sequence.

Two things.

1. Was that
Nico's mother in the Hong Kong fight
? OR was I seeing things. 2. Would Strange be able to find Janet by bending reality?

Just saw Strange. Really enjoyed it, especially the ending and the promise of the mid-credits sequence.

Two things.

1. Was that
Nico's mother in the Hong Kong fight
? OR was I seeing things. 2. Would Strange be able to find Janet by bending reality?

Spoilers are fine here, so yeah, Tina Minoru is in the film, though I don't exactly know where. Well, there are rumors when the magical mystery tour happened, the Ancient One chucked Strange into the Micro-Verse for a little bit, so likely. But, I think Marvel wants to clearly part magic in "Dr. Strange" and science in "Thor" and "Ant-Man" into two different areas for now, so we might not get outright clarification for a little bit.

Spoilers are fine here, so yeah, Tina Minoru is in the film, though I don't exactly know where. Well, there are rumors when the magical mystery tour happened, the Ancient One chucked Strange into the Micro-Verse for a little bit, so likely. But, I think Marvel wants to clearly part magic in "Dr. Strange" and science in "Thor" and "Ant-Man" into two different areas for now, so we might not get outright clarification for a little bit.

Thanks.

She is in the scene when Wong tells everyone to get their weapons. You can see her holding the staff of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom