• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I've been avoiding removing Damage Control since it was never officially cancelled, but due to popular demand, here's the banner without it:

JNwh03q.png

Pachimari

I think I'm behind with two episodes. I should catch up today. Although I will be surprised if Ghost Rider isn't part of the second part of the season.

TDLink

So I know the next Spider-Man film after Homecoming was already announced, but for our banner image makers: Let's hold off on adding that until we 1. Have an official title and 2. Know more of Phase 4.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So I know the next Spider-Man film after Homecoming was already announced, but for our banner image makers: Let's hold off on adding that until we 1. Have an official title and 2. Know more of Phase 4.

Yeah, wasn't planning on doing anything for Phase 4 until it was officially announced.

El Topo

Heck, we don't even have a title card for Ant-Man and The Wasp. No need to rush things.

El Topo

I feel like Marvel might be putting their movies a bit too close together though. Three movies within four or five months (2018/2019) could wear audiences down.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Marvel might be putting their movies a bit too close together though. Three movies within four or five months (2018/2019) could wear audiences down.

Not really, I went to four comicbook movies once each month (Deadpool, BvS, Civil War, X-Men) this year and I wasn't really worn out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
We are a special crowd who could watch these movies every month, but we would only make a couple of thousand dollar boxoffice money.

I see his Points and kinda agree, but I have no problem not watch the shitty ones, so its not really a problem.

El Topo

Hey, I watched BvS and didn't immediately hate it, clearly I am an outlier. I still enjoy comic book movies tremendously, although I was smart enough to avoid Suicide Squad.
I'm not talking about enthusiasts like us. I'm just wondering if the scheduling (and structuring of the movies) is going to cause issues for general audiences.

Pachimari

Henry Damon is a guy from Venezuela who has gone through numerous operations the past seven years to get to look like the Captain America villain, Red Skull. He has gotten his nose removed, tattooed his eyeballs black and gotten silicone implants into his face. It has cost this 38-year old father $369,203.

a916

Finally watched Dr Strange (I imagine it's leaving theatres soon too) and I really really enjoyed it.

Loved the ending, did not like the cape (too slap stick) but everything else was great. I don't know how they managed to turn around this movie so quickly from wrap to release.

BLACKLAC

James Gunn.

"This headline really couldn't be any more true. To be honest, when I was first working on the script for Vol. 2 I was planning on it being years after the first movie and for little Groot to be a grown Groot. But there was something missing. First of all, I thought there was a lot of development the group needed to go through as a group - and it would be a shame for the audience to miss it. And, secondly, for whatever reason, Groot just wasn't working. It was then I came upon the idea of having Vol. 2 take place very shortly after the first film and for Groot to still be Baby Groot, with quite a lot to learn. Even though I had already long-ago-decided on the other characters involved, this change opened up the whole movie for me and it suddenly all came together. I fell in love with the script for Vol. 2, and I felt like we were creating something very special.

When I approached Marvel Studios with my idea for Vol. 2 I was afraid of the involvement of Ego the Living Planet - a rather, uh, broad character in the 616 universe of Marvel Comics. I was afraid of the inclusion of Mantis and Ayesha, and more prominent roles for Nebula and Yondu. But I was even more afraid of approaching them with the concept that Baby Groot, and not Groot, would be a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Yes, perhaps it seems like a hole-in-one idea now, but Groot was the most popular character in the first film, and sometimes when something works studios are more than a little reluctant to change.

To my happy surprise, my partners at Marvel were more than supportive about the big swings in the story of Vol. 2. They seemed to instinctively know, like I did, that what matters in the Guardians franchise is to keep giving people the unexpected...

All that said, I'm not an idiot. I knew if Baby Groot worked, the world would want Baby Groot toys and figures and plushies. But that certainly didn't seem like a certainty when I was alone in my office conceiving of a story, and it most definitely was not the driving force of the decision. I, like so many of you through the trailer alone, had fallen in love with the little dude - even though at that point he was only in my head."

He was seriously sceptical of Marvel liking Baby Groot... After the dancing "I Want You Back" Baby Groot toys were sold out... Everywhere.

Right Gunn. Okay. I know he says the thing about toys but... Cmon dude.

Vidiot

We are a special crowd who could watch these movies every month, but we would only make a couple of thousand dollar boxoffice money.

I see his Points and kinda agree, but I have no problem not watch the shitty ones, so its not really a problem.

Henry Damon is a guy from Venezuela who has gone through numerous operations the past seven years to get to look like the Captain America villain, Red Skull. He has gotten his nose removed, tattooed his eyeballs black and gotten silicone implants into his face. It has cost this 38-year old father $369,203.

You figure you go through all that you would get rid of the hair too. Wouldn't want to get out of hand I guess.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
A thought I had...

... it's become really apparent that a hand-off in the MCU is happening. I began to categorize the heroes, after the similarities between Iron Man and Doctor Strange, and found that there's three categories of heroes:

Science - Iron Man, Hulk, Ant-Man, Spider-Man
Mythology - Thor, Doctor Strange
Moral - Captain America, Black Panther... Captain Marvel (?)

So, looking at where everyone is now we have Steve & T'challa, Tony & Peter and Thor & Strange together.

Or, I'm just grasping and suffering from lack of more MCU movies.

Pachimari

I look at it more that we have the Secret Avengers consisting of Captain America, Black Widow, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Ant-Man, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch.

Then we have the Avengers who are currently broken but could probably consist of Iron Man, Vision and those guys.

And then those who are not allied with anyone, like Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Hulk and Thor.

I think that if there's a "hand-off" with Tony and Steve stepping into the background, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are gonna take their place as far as "worldly" business is concerned. It would be great to have a woman and a black man lead the new Avengers into phase 4.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think that if there's a "hand-off" with Tony and Steve stepping into the background, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are gonna take their place as far as "worldly" business is concerned. It would be great to have a woman and a black man lead the new Avengers into phase 4.

Don't forget Spider-Man and Strange to make sure that the audience is in attendence.

I didn't forget either but I see Spidey like Hulk, Vision and Ant-Man. Fan favourites that will steal the show but not be plot-driving in the team-up movies.

Doc Strange is gonna be in the mix when he's needed but his concerns will be more in his corner of the MCU, kinda like Thor.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It would be lovely if the Netflix characters (Daredevil, Luke, Iron Fist) got to step more to the forefront in the movie-verse once Iron Man and Cap hand over the reigns...but that probably won't happen.

Black Panther is too much of a "independent outsider" character to be too tied up with anything. I don't see him anywhere near the leadership role of the Avengers.

Captain Marvel would definitely be the focal point... Though I don't think there will be a "hand-off" anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom