• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

Sesha

I can see MS adapting Annihilation without Annihilus, Super Skrull, Silver Surfer and Galactus. They clearly aren't above gutting a story in order to use elements of it for brownie points. See the Planet Hulk stuff in Thor 3 just because they don't own the distribution rights.

The Kree

Banned
I can see MS adapting Annihilation without Annihilus, Super Skrull, Silver Surfer and Galactus. They clearly aren't above gutting a story in order to use elements of it for brownie points. See the Planet Hulk stuff in Thor 3 just because they don't own the distribution rights.

They don't need to adapt Annihilation. They can just skip to Annihilation Conquest and use an already established villain.

TDLink

I have some hope they'll get the F4 rights back before the do it anyways. But really the only extremely vital character of those to do a good boiled down version of the story would be Annihilus...and they could replace him with some other character who does exactly the same things worst case. Although obviously I'd prefer that they use him if they could.

They don't need to adapt Annihilation. They can just skip to Annihilation Conquest and use an already established villain.

No way. Annihilation is way way better than Conquest. Nova is such a great protagonist and his entire hero's journey in the original Annihilation really shines. It's so perfect for a movie. Conquest doesn't really have a clear protagonist at all. A big section of it is also devoted to assembling the GotG, which doesn't make sense if they're already together like they are in the MCU. And another significant part is dedicated to a nothing character with Wraith. Ultron was cool in it, but he isn't very cool in the MCU as established. I mean I wouldn't mind them doing it, but it's a much weaker story than the original, made even weaker by them already having a GotG which was a core aspect of the story.

jph139

The problem with adapting Annihilation is that half of the characters are with Fox (Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Super-Skrull) and the other half were already reimagined heavily for GotG (Star-Lord, Drax, Ronan).

I think smooshing together the workable parts of Annihilation (the last Nova leading an army in an all-out war for the survival of the universe) and Conquest (Star-Lord leads a ragtag team on a suicide mission behind enemy lines) is the way to go.

TDLink

The problem with adapting Annihilation is that half of the characters are with Fox (Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Super-Skrull) and the other half were already reimagined heavily for GotG (Star-Lord, Drax, Ronan).

I think smooshing together the workable parts of Annihilation (the last Nova leading an army in an all-out war for the survival of the universe) and Conquest (Star-Lord leads a ragtag team on a suicide mission behind enemy lines) is the way to go.

I agree with that, but it's also already pretty much what happens. Key GotG members before they're assembled as the GotG "go behind enemy lines" in order to deal with Thanos while Nova is dealing with Annihilus.

I really would like to see the Infinity Stones reviving all the old badguys as theorized and leading to Ronan's reform as well, which would give us another good piece of the puzzle.

Even if they don't have Galactus they can use a different Celestial in his place for the same plot device. Ultimately Silver Surfer and the heralds play a very minor part in the overall story despite having a mini focused on them.

Super Skrull would be a loss but I feel like they could probably do his story with a different character, or omit it.

Nova is really the core of Annihilation and the rest matter varying degrees less.

BLACKLAC

DOCTOR STRANGE SPECIAL FEATURES

Gag reel
intro
The composition of reality
Marvel Studios Phase 3

Strange Company: Cast & Crew
Strange Soundtrack
Strange Transformation
Stunts & Visual Effects
Team Thor: Part 2
Additional scenes

BLACKLAC

First THOR: RAGNAROK Synopsis

"In Marvel Studios' Thor: Ragnarok, Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization – at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger – the Incredible Hulk!"
biHkgj4.jpg

"In Marvel Studios' Thor: Ragnarok, Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization – at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger – the Incredible Hulk!"
biHkgj4.jpg

The clash
between Thor and Hulk is going to be fucking fire. Really can't wait.

biHkgj4.jpg
That's like the most "comic book-y" synopsis I've ever read

That's amazing!

Although this might be me thinking a bit regressively, I do wonder how having a primarily African-American/Anglo-African cast is going affect this movie's box office. Personally, I think the Marvel brand supersedes any other classification of this movie and it's going to do amazing, probably bigger than "Ant-Man"/"Thor 2" numbers but less than "Guardians", but the world's surprised me before, positively and negatively.

It would be absolutely hilarious to see the China poster for this movie just feature Everett Ross and nobody else.

Sesha

I have some hope they'll get the F4 rights back before the do it anyways. But really the only extremely vital character of those to do a good boiled down version of the story would be Annihilus...and they could replace him with some other character who does exactly the same things worst case. Although obviously I'd prefer that they use him if they could.

I don't think I want Annihilation without Annihilus. But then again we're ostensibly getting a gutted version of Planet Hulk with Thor 3, so I can see them doing an adaption of Annihilation in some way.

If we're lucky, Marvel will get to do another trade like they did with Ego. At least we know the possibility is now there.

The Kree

Banned

biHkgj4.jpg

This sounds like a movie based on a comic book.

biHkgj4.jpg

I posted this in the OT thread, but whenever I see this photo now, I'll anyways think of Hunt for the Wilderpeople's funeral scene with Taika giving Thor a similar speech.

Btw, I just watched Marvel's latest DTV animation Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell. They just added it to Netflix and it's actually pretty decent and fun. But seeing an undead zombie Agent Sitwell leading a group of monsters makes me want to see that in the MCU somehow, Hydra allegiance and all (reluctant, returned hero, or still evil I'd be down with either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom