• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind comedy, and it was great that Iron Man 3 was funny.

The problem with the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is that it isn't very funny, or that it isn't funny in the right ways (except for the 'incoming obscene gesture' thing, which is kinda fun).
I totally agree. It just wasn't funny in the slightest. It was like one of those Epic Movie types where everything just felt forced and painful. I loved Iron Man 3, though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Could be worse, at least they didn't cast CW-level talent. All of these actors are at least talented, or allegedly so. They have all done good work. This isn't headshot casting.

Michael Jordan did Fruitvale Station last year and he was previously on The Wire and Friday Night Lights. Kate Mara is coming from House of Cards. Teller was supposedly great in 'The Spectacular Now' (I haven't seen it). And Jamie Bell is Jamie Bell.

But Bell as the motherfucking Thing though? Come on.

Bad casting negates acting talent.

I really hope this falls apart for Fox so that Marvel/Disney can get the FF rights back.

Tom_Cody

But Bell as the motherfucking Thing though? Come on.

Bad casting negates acting talent.

I really hope this falls apart for Fox so that Marvel/Disney can get the FF rights back.
I don't think it's fair to simply call the casting "bad". That Michael Jordan was cast as Johnny and that they are allegedly considering a female Doctor Doctor would indicate that they are deliberately re-imagining these characters. Bell's casting is in line with this.

None of these casting decisions appear to have been driven by box office greed / marketing potential. These are all (allegedly) talented actors. It is way too soon to say how this is going to turn out but I am personally intrigued. I want to see if Trank has an interesting vision in mind here.

aku08

my dream is dead
KnOKtzG.jpg

shield

To be fair, it *was* the least commercially successful, and the only one that didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel.

Yeah, and it's also relatively detached to the other films in that no actor in The Incredible Hulk appears in another Marvel Studios film.
Excluding Robert Downey Jr, obviously.

General Ross' appearance in Iron Man 2: Public Identity and the stuff covered in Fury's Big Week does help keep it feeling connected to the rest of the MCU, though.

junk

I would still keep Liv Tyler and William Hurt in their supporting roles if they ever decide to give Ruffalo a solo movie.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I would still keep Liv Tyler and William Hurt in their supporting roles if they ever decide to give Ruffalo a solo movie.

I know it will never happen but Sam Elliot was a much better Thunderbolt Ross then Hurt, I'd love to see him come back.

aku08

how many movies are in ruffalo's contract?

edit: well it seems he signed on for 6 movies. so three down for avengers 1,2, and 3. Assuming they dont count the iron man cameo he should eventually have his own trilogy.

junk

I know it will never happen but Sam Elliot was a much better Thunderbolt Ross then Hurt, I'd love to see him come back.

You're right actually. Sam Elliot was a much better fit as Ross. Marvel would be winning either way if they brought back the supporting cast from either of those movies.

So if Phase 3 will be Ant-Man, Cap 3, Thor 3, Dr. Strange, and Avengers 3, as it's starting to look...

I actually start to question whether Avengers 3 will be the one where they face off against Thanos. I'm starting to think that Avengers 3 will be about some other major villain and that Thanos won't be the big baddie until Avengers 4.

Remember, Joss Whedon has said that they've got a general plan taking them all the way through, I think, 2020 or 2021. That sounds like Avengers 4 to me.

But more conclusively, I'm not sure whether they can introduce all of the remaining three Infinity Stones in the films between GotG and Avengers 3.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: It seems safe to say that this one won't be introducing one, especially since it's doing the bulk of the heavy lifting in leading into Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Seems pretty obvious that the patterned spherical object that is the film's MacGuffin will be the third Infinity Stone after the Tesseract and the Aether.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: I don't see this film introducing any Infinity Stones, just as the first Avengers film didn't. It's got too much other business to accomplish.

Ant-Man: Hank Pym's flavor of superscience IS a big deal, and it HAS been described by Edgar Wright as being something of a heist movie. Could this one introduce Infinity Stone #4, though? It's hard to say.

Thor 3: This movie will almost certainly result in Loki getting the Tesseract into Thanos's hands somehow by its end, but I'm not sure they'll have it engage in any further Infinity Stone-related business, especially since one Thor film's already introduced one.

Captain America 3: As is the case with the Thor films, Captain America's already done his part in introducing an Infinity Stone.

Dr. Strange: Stephen Strange works with enough cosmic forces that he's a virtual shoo-in for introducing an Infinity Stone, which could be #4 or #5 depending on what we see in Ant-Man.

And, assuming those are all of the films remaining before Avengers 3, that's as far as we get.

Thoughts? If Thanos and all six Infinity Stones are *absolutely* appearing in Avengers 3, then for the sake of introducing all of the proper macguffins in time, I think it might make sense to have an additional two as-yet-unknown films in Phase 3 before Avengers 3 takes place.

GotG 2? Black Panther? Hulk?

Which is why they should do Planet Hulk, hell it can build towards a phase 4 or 5 World War Hulk Avengers flick.

Nah Hulk 2 with city of the Hulks with the Leader creating an army of Hulks with Jen in it to be injured and voila, She Hulk who would speak when transformed allowing Hulk to be given a smarmy person to play off of.

Which is why they should do Planet Hulk, hell it can build towards a phase 4 or 5 World War Hulk Avengers flick.

I would love a Planet Hulk movie if for no other reason that it could easily set up an Avengers: World War Hulk movie, but it will probably never happen. There would be so much CG it would basically be an animated movie. But then again, GotG was one of the last properties I thought they'd even attempt to make so who knows.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
z5g7.jpg

Japanese poster for Captain America: The Winter Solider featuring the Falcon.

I wonder why they left him out of the US poster.

So if Phase 3 will be Ant-Man, Cap 3, Thor 3, Dr. Strange, and Avengers 3, as it's starting to look...

I actually start to question whether Avengers 3 will be the one where they face off against Thanos. I'm starting to think that Avengers 3 will be about some other major villain and that Thanos won't be the big baddie until Avengers 4.

Remember, Joss Whedon has said that they've got a general plan taking them all the way through, I think, 2020 or 2021. That sounds like Avengers 4 to me.

But more conclusively, I'm not sure whether they can introduce all of the remaining three Infinity Stones in the films between GotG and Avengers 3.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: It seems safe to say that this one won't be introducing one, especially since it's doing the bulk of the heavy lifting in leading into Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Seems pretty obvious that the patterned spherical object that is the film's MacGuffin will be the third Infinity Stone after the Tesseract and the Aether.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: I don't see this film introducing any Infinity Stones, just as the first Avengers film didn't. It's got too much other business to accomplish.

Ant-Man: Hank Pym's flavor of superscience IS a big deal, and it HAS been described by Edgar Wright as being something of a heist movie. Could this one introduce Infinity Stone #4, though? It's hard to say.

Thor 3: This movie will almost certainly result in Loki getting the Tesseract into Thanos's hands somehow by its end, but I'm not sure they'll have it engage in any further Infinity Stone-related business, especially since one Thor film's already introduced one.

Captain America 3: As is the case with the Thor films, Captain America's already done his part in introducing an Infinity Stone.

Dr. Strange: Stephen Strange works with enough cosmic forces that he's a virtual shoo-in for introducing an Infinity Stone, which could be #4 or #5 depending on what we see in Ant-Man.

And, assuming those are all of the films remaining before Avengers 3, that's as far as we get.

Thoughts? If Thanos and all six Infinity Stones are *absolutely* appearing in Avengers 3, then for the sake of introducing all of the proper macguffins in time, I think it might make sense to have an additional two as-yet-unknown films in Phase 3 before Avengers 3 takes place.

GotG 2? Black Panther? Hulk?

I believe the Infinity Stones are going to be introduced in all non Avengers film with the exception of sequels(Thor 3, Cap 3). Avengers 3 will most likely introduce the final stone as a macguffin however, in order to make the plot not just be one big fight like the Infinity Gauntlet.

Black Panther is all but confirmed as Kevin Feige has stated interest multiple times and I bet Marvel is considering putting at least one female superhero in a stand-alone film before Avengers 3(Captain Marvel or Black Widow). What interests me is how Hulk will be handled in Phase 3 as well as all the characters we are going to be introduced to in Age of Ultron.

Tom_Cody

z5g7.jpg

Japanese poster for Captain America: The Winter Solider featuring the Falcon.

I wonder why they left him out of the US poster.
Marvel knows how to market to me too effectively. My desire to see this movie is at 1000%.

Random question: how is Agents of Shield at the moment? I gave up on it a few months ago but all this movie news has gotten my MCU train in motion. Did they ever right the ship?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Marvel knows how to market to me too effectively. My desire to see this movie is at 1000%.

Random question: how is Agents of Shield at the moment? I gave up on it a few months ago but all this movie news has gotten my MCU train in motion. Did they ever right the ship?

It's getting a bit better, but we're talking 1 or 2 'decent' episodes. Whether that becomes a trend or not remains to be seen.

FoneBone

What Sinatar said - the last two episodes have been a definite improvement, but it's too early to say whether that will hold.

What Sinatar said - the last two episodes have been a definite improvement, but it's too early to say whether that will hold.

Even if that does hold, it hasn't gotten to the point where I could wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who quit watching earlier in the season. It's the same show it was, it's just executed better.

The characters have gotten more likeable but aren't quite where they should be in that regard, and it's still somewhat confused about its own premise (are the team supposed to be rookies or the best of the best? Are they meant to be operating secretly? Why is the team important enough to be given semi-autonomy from SHIELD proper? How serious is the show about addressing the moral ambiguities inherent in an organization like SHIELD?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom