• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shield

Also, is that Joe Russo at the back?

dfPtzzj.png

inky

Come on guys,
no one really dies in comic books.
Why are we even using spoiler tags. Aren't trailers fair game anyways? Plus, I'm sure everyone gets what we are talking about.

ZeroGravity

"Last words" doesn't necessarily imply he will be killed, just gravely injured to the point where he's no longer in command.

eastx

According to Gunn, Marvel owns the (partial) rights to the Skrulls, but not the Badoon.

Then why were the Badoon in the Thor: The Dark World comic book?

You do know that Marvel still makes Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Spider-Man comic books, right?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
it seems like CAP2 is following another Avengers:EMH plot point like Thor 2 did. I'm sure Avengers 2 will be following one.

eastx

it seems like CAP2 is following another Avengers:EMH plot point like Thor 2 did. I'm sure Avengers 2 will be following one.

Yeah, but technically it's following the single most well-known storyline from the modern Captain America comics. They just happened to adapt that into an episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

As for Avengers 2, that's obviously going to be about Ultron and his first attack on the Avengers. But I think it will diverge widely from the cartoon, probably more so than Thor 2.

Yeah, but technically it's following the single most well-known storyline from the modern Captain America comics. They just happened to adapt that into an episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

As for Avengers 2, that's obviously going to be about Ultron and his first attack on the Avengers. But I think it will diverge widely from the cartoon, probably more so than Thor 2.
I am hoping they lift more from Ultron Unlimited for Avengers 2. Most badass Ultron story.

I'm personally hoping Avengers 2 ends on a really fucking dark note. Have Ultron beaten (for now), but the Avengers scattered and crippled.

-Send Thor back to Asgard to set up Thor 3
-Take Tony Stark out of commission somehow (since he won't be back between A2 and A3)
-have Ultron neutralize Hulk by shooting him into space, setting up a Planet Hulk movie? ohpleaseohplease
-leave Cap and the assorted SHIELD heroes like Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, etc. (plus Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? Maybe even Winter Soldier, if he ends up being in Avengers 2?) to pick up the pieces in Cap 3
-set the stage for some sort of New Avengers initiative in order to kick off the new round of new heroes that it looks like we're getting to

Showaddy

I really like the idea of having Planet Hulk without World War Hulk. Have Hulk sent into space by Ultron/Thanos but instead of working towards getting home and burning it to the ground he's gotta get home to save it.

Nyanmaruz

Seriously hard to believe
Fury
will die in Cap 2. Marvel just doesn't have the balls to kill off major characters imo.
His corpse will just be a LMD.

Yeah we know that he won't really die, but until the movie is out we don't know if they'll reveal that it was a LMD until the end of the movie, or Avengers 2, or later.

They'll probably develop Hill further and have her take his place as Director for a while.

I really like the idea of having Planet Hulk without World War Hulk. Have Hulk sent into space by Ultron/Thanos but instead of working towards getting home and burning it to the ground he's gotta get home to save it.

Yeah, I think I'd enjoy that a lot more (because Planet Hulk is a great, fun storyline and World War Hulk, uh, is not).

DieH@rd

Banned
Seriously hard to believe
Fury
will die in Cap 2. Marvel just doesn't have the balls to kill off major characters imo.
His corpse will just be a LMD.

He aint going anywhere.
"His last words... before he went to the ice cream stand."

Trailer was cut to increase tension.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Could be fun to have Hulk thrown off-world resulting in a reverse World War Hulk - he lands on another planet for whatever reason unable to calm down, so they need to evict the monster and send him back where he came from.

Hell. Make that Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Hulk lands on Xandar and the Guardians get dragged into it.

I would be fine if they kept the cosmic stuff completely separate from the Earth bound stuff. Still have ties here and there like Infinity Stones, but just go nuts with all the intergalactic stuff that has nothing to do with Earth. Use Guardians of the Galaxy as Phase 1 of Cosmic MCU, and then save it crossing over with regular MCU movies for very special things. Like Infinity Gauntlet.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

I only made the comparisons because both MCU and the show were set in the ultimate universe.

I'm betting that the
the old guy in Washington is really Red Skull in a mask just like the cartoon...I miss that show :(

Also in the cartoon, Winter Soldier is the reason Fury lost his eye so it Nick knows exactly what he's doing by blowing up

sol_bad

Can anyone say what the best was is to collect the MCU based comics?
Is there any hardcover collections?
Are the direct adaptations worth getting due to any extra scenes or anything?

Jonogunn

TV Spot is the biggest Red Haring if I've ever seen one.

You guys are delusional if you believe that.

Exactly. Something like that would be a HUGE deal and left as a surprise for the viewers during the movie; NOT give it away during a tv spot in the most anticlimactic way possible.

Jonogunn

If street level heroes become popular in the MCU I hope they go with a low budget hawkguy movie. Oh that would be glorious.

Dunno if Renner has the comedic touch to pull it off tho.

How certain are we Thanos is the main villain in Avengers 3 and not 4?

We don't know for sure, but I think the biggest piece of evidence for it is that RDJ's last Marvel film is likely to be Avengers 3 and they'll probably want to send him out on a climactic note, especially since he and his portrayal of Tony Stark are what started all of this.
With Guardians we'll be at the 3rd Infinity Stone and I doubt they're going to stretch out the story for another 5 or so years. Avengers 3 seems more likely.
FTFY

Found this on reddit regarding the plot for Cap 2. Don't know if it's legit or not, but definitely sounds plausible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...ain_america_the_winter_soldier_spoilers_read/

(WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS)

Apparently,
Baron von Strucker is Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch's father.

Eh, mostly seems plausible, but the AoU setup sounds too forced to my ears:
namedropping Ultron at the very end of the film is a bit much, and an after-credits scene that stars zero characters who actually appear in the film proper seems atypically clumsy. I like the one that has the twins breaking Crossbones out of prison better.

A lot of this sounds fairly plausible, but the poor job of setting up Avengers: Age of Ultron plot threads sounds less so (especially the HYDRA business).

Not only does it end with
nearly everything reverted to status quo
, but nearly all of the AoU setup is contained in two scenes that have very little to do with the actual plot as outlined here. The writers have to be better than that, right?

Not only does it end with
nearly everything reverted to status quo
, but nearly all of the AoU setup is contained in two scenes that have very little to do with the actual plot as outlined here. The writers have to be better than that, right?

I also sort of doubt that the
Phase 2 (meaning the HYDRA weapons Cap discovered onboard the helicarrier) business from Avengers
will be important to this film. It was sort of a throwaway scene in that film, and... quite frankly, I don't think we're going to have a *third* film with Cap fighting against
baddies who use Tesseract energy

I don't expect Ultron setup to be a big deal in this film, mind you, but I *do* expect a big point of the film to be about
the fact that HYDRA is still fully operational
. I... really don't think that'll be relegated to just one of the end-credits stingers, and I'd be severely disappointed if that were the case. The plot stuff summarized here makes it sound like
everybody believes HYDRA is defunct for the entire course of the film, and that it's even a major point within the film that the Winter Soldier works for SHIELD, not HYDRA
. That feels counterproductive to me, and
having Pierce just be a SHIELD boss with bad ideas about how to run the organization
feels lame. I don't necessarily expect him to
be the Red Skull, but I could see him being Baron Zemo
or something.

And yeah, the return-to-status-quo business is kind of a problem too, especially considering how Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World both worked pretty hard to make sure that the status quo has been drastically altered at the end of the film. The way this supposedly real summary seems to handle the Winter Soldier seems a bit weird and lame, too.

One major reason I think it might be fake beyond just that it doesn't sound as good as I'd hope is that it seems to be entirely missing the bit about Cap stealing his old costume back from the Smithsonian.

Some speculation about Age of Ultron:
I think it does make sense to have Ultron be a SHIELD/Tony Stark project in response to escalation from HYDRA, and Ultron doesn't need to appear in this film in any fashion, but that's all the more reason that HYDRA's return needs to be this film's major plot point so that it's established in-universe fact by the time Avengers:AoU rolls around.

Anth0ny

They've always said they can't do Planet Hulk because there's not enough focus on Bruce Banner. Cause everyone loves when Bruce Banner is on the screen. I mean, who would want to see a movie all about the Hulk smashing shit? Mark Ruffalo allllllll day...

Either way, I think you can adapt that story to the big screen and give the Banner character a lot more time than he may have had in the comic version.

Here's hoping.

They've always said they can't do Planet Hulk because there's not enough focus on Bruce Banner. Cause everyone loves when Bruce Banner is on the screen. I mean, who would want to see a movie all about the Hulk smashing shit? Mark Ruffalo allllllll day...

Either way, I think you can adapt that story to the big screen and give the Banner character a lot more time than he may have had in the comic version.

Here's hoping.

There's a personality of Hulk where he's got the brains of Banner and the strength of Hulk without the Savagery. I think it's called the Professor? Maybe they could use that?

One Google search later though, not sure about that hair... Though really what's stopping Banner from mingling with these aliens? If Guardians of the Galaxy goes well with audiences, will there be any more disbelief at another human Marvel character chatting with a multi-alien society?

Of course, I might just be missing the draw behind Planet Hulk, which I guess is the Hulk persona finding, if not carving with his own two hands, his place in the cosmos? I mean, how else would he end it with the revenge streak that kicks off World War Hulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom